4li2k73z Share your Vital activity on Facebook (More info)
close

Iceberg top to bottom

Bill_Carroll

C100_wyman_priddy

4/6/2012 3:51 PM

Know you've all seen what an Iceberg looks like top to bottom before but it's never redundant, very cool pic

"Now you know why the Titanic sank.
This photograph came from a Rig manager for Global Marine Drilling in St. John, Newfoundland.
They actually have to divert the path of these things away from the rig by towing them with ships.
In this particular case the water was calm and the sun was almost directly overhead so that the diver was able to get into the water and click this picture.
They estimated the weight at 300,000,000 tons"

http://www.dovergrammar.co.uk/gems/geography-iceberg.htm

" Some people value their opinions a little too much around here and have a hair less sense of humor than may be required. It's all in fun for me and I can't think of anyone here that I wouldn't buy a beer for including OldFart ." ~Newman~

Torco1

C100_milestone2of2_1414441175

4/6/2012 4:54 PM

Holy shit.....yeah, the Titanic makes a little more sense now.

TerryK

C100_tiger_lacey_reno_ax_lites_winner_1388545912

4/7/2012 10:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 4/7/2012 10:44 AM

Its cool, but I'm going to call fake. If that thing is that big there's no way the water would be clear enough to be able to get a photo from that far back.

edit* whats really funny is that your link actually tells the real story. It's actually 4 images and the top and bottom shots were taken at opposite poles.

Chuck Norris is 1/8th Scottish. This has nothing to do with ancestry, the man ate a fucking Scotsman!

SteveS

C100

4/7/2012 11:46 AM

From the very webpage linked in the OP:

Latest news I have received regarding this photo.

November 2003 14:21

Subject: Iceberg Photo on your website

Dear Headmaster Slater,

Your website http://dovergrammar.co.uk/Gems/geography-iceberg.htm is misleading and contains a fake!!!
You really should research your information before posting information which is not true.
Origins: Charming story, but this picture is actually an image called 'The Essence of Imagination," marketed by Successories, the "premiere source for motivational media."

This image was produced in 1999 by Ralph A. Clevenger, a professional nature and underwater photographer who is also a member of the faculty of the Brooks Institute of Photography in Santa Barbara, California. As Mr. Clevenger explained, this image is not a single photograph but a composite of four different photographs (not all taken in the same place):

The iceberg image is a digital composite that I designed to illustrate the concept of "what you see is not necessarily what you get". As an underwater photographer I knew that my "vision" of what a big iceberg looks like was impossible to get in reality so I had to create it. The image exists in nature but due to water visibility is not possible to capture on film.

There are 4 separate images involved; the sky, the background, the top iceberg (shot in Antarctica), and the underwater iceberg (shot above water in Alaska and flipped in the final composite).

Last updated: 2 July 2001
Peter Bowen R.G.D. Communications Administrator
The SPi Group Inc.
e-Business Intelligence for an Energized World

email: peter.bowen@thespigroup.com

Voice: 416.408.1395 ext 241 Fax: 416.408.1396

Mail: 214 King Street W., Suite 500, Toronto, ON M5H 356 Canada
www.thespigroup.com

I also received an Email from Jason Ellis saying:-

7th Feb 2004

I just wonder why you have this fake iceberg picture on your site for everyone to see. It is a fake picture that you are falsely claiming to be real. Why must people go on the internet and see images and stories that seem to be real but are fake. You are setting a terrible example by doing this and should remove the image immediately.
Thanks
Jason Ellis
Here is the link to find out the truth about the picture.
http://www.snopes.com/photos/iceberg.asp ;

Well, thanks for the above information, as you can see, I haven't removed it, but have updated the information so that it is no longer misleading. 7th Feb 2004.

scooter5002

C100_cr500004

4/7/2012 12:05 PM

TerryK wrote: Its cool, but I'm going to call fake. If that thing is that big there's no way the water would be clear enough to be able to get a photo from that far back.

edit* whats really funny is that your link actually tells the real story. It's actually 4 images and the top and bottom shots were taken at opposite poles.

HA! Busted posting, carpenter Boy! Told you.
Icebergs exist in cold water. VERY cold water. Read: Very DARK water. It's a total fake. Perhaps enhanced off real murky images, but still fake.
Typical rule of thumb is only 1/3rd of the total mass is above water. Interesting that this would get posted as we are at the 100th anniversary of the Titanic disaster. Only 2 years away from the 100th of the start of the War To End All Wars. Funny how time flies when man is trying to annihilate each other.

Bill_Carroll

C100_wyman_priddy

4/7/2012 12:33 PM

Wow some of you folks are unreal, just showed the photo for what it was not claiming anymore for what its worth and even put it up in quotes so as to not claim the so called thunder, geese guys get a life...or just stay on the net where you're really brilliant

" Some people value their opinions a little too much around here and have a hair less sense of humor than may be required. It's all in fun for me and I can't think of anyone here that I wouldn't buy a beer for including OldFart ." ~Newman~

scooter5002

C100_cr500004

4/7/2012 1:13 PM

Not trashin you. Just stating opinions. Don't take it personal.

Bill_Carroll

C100_wyman_priddy

4/7/2012 1:21 PM

scooter5002 wrote: Not trashin you. Just stating opinions. Don't take it personal.

I was about to edit my last post because I reread the above Ya certainly did not try to pass the pic off as real just thought it was a cool pic and i'm sure not far from real

Post a Reply to: Iceberg top to bottom

To post, please join, log in or connect to Vital using your Facebook profile Fb_connect_sm