How many of you rent?

huck
9/17/2014 8:59am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Your math is a little off also. Should have a higher interest rate for 30yr than 15yr.......
Not necessarily... I was comparing apples to apples...aplman.
APLMAN99
9/17/2014 9:06am
huck wrote:
Not necessarily... I was comparing apples to apples...aplman.
Well apples to apples should be realistic rate to realistic rate.

Tracktor
9/17/2014 9:27am
Mortgages is what I do for a Community bank based in Seattle- Her is how it breaks down-

USDA = 0% down but you need to be in a "rural area"
Wa Bond = 0% down with the down payment in the form of a community second mortgage. The first is either an FHA or conventional.
VA = 0% down but you need to be a veteran
FHA = 3.5% down but the MI factor is 1.75% upfront and 1.35% monthly.($225/month on a $200k loan amount round numbers)
Conventional = 5% down and you can choose how to structure the PMI. One upfront payment, monthly payments or a combination of both.

Condos will have a HOA payment which usually cancels out any svaings. Condos also need to be approved by whatever agency your loan is based on; Fannie/Freddie/FHA etc.

A few smaller banks are offering portfolio stuff that is different from above but they are few and far between. Too much non-saleable mortgage paper in your portfolio gets the regulatory agencies breathing down your neck.................
Old-Man
9/17/2014 9:34am Edited Date/Time 9/17/2014 9:35am
Tracktor wrote:
Mortgages is what I do for a Community bank based in Seattle- Her is how it breaks down- USDA = 0% down but you need to...
Mortgages is what I do for a Community bank based in Seattle- Her is how it breaks down-

Wa Bond = 0% down with the down payment in the form of a community second mortgage. The first is either an FHA or conventional.
FHA = 3.5% down but the MI factor is 1.75% upfront and 1.35% monthly.($225/month on a $200k loan amount round numbers)
Conventional = 5% down and you can choose how to structure the PMI. One upfront payment, monthly payments or a combination of both.

Condos will have a HOA payment which usually cancels out any svaings. Condos also need to be approved by whatever agency your loan is based on; Fannie/Freddie/FHA etc.

A few smaller banks are offering portfolio stuff that is different from above but they are few and far between. Too much non-saleable mortgage paper in your portfolio gets the regulatory agencies breathing down your neck.................
Glad you chimed in Tracktor, I have a question:
If I own a rental and want to refinance with an FHA loan and have more than 20% equity in the house do I still need a down payment upon refinancing the loan?
Or do you use that equity toward the Refinance?

The Shop

Tracktor
9/17/2014 9:45am
Tracktor wrote:
Mortgages is what I do for a Community bank based in Seattle- Her is how it breaks down- USDA = 0% down but you need to...

Old-Man wrote:
Glad you chimed in Tracktor, I have a question: If I own a rental and want to refinance with an FHA loan and have more than...
Glad you chimed in Tracktor, I have a question:
If I own a rental and want to refinance with an FHA loan and have more than 20% equity in the house do I still need a down payment upon refinancing the loan?
Or do you use that equity toward the Refinance?
I need some clarification- Is the current loan FHA? If you have 20% equity there is no reason in the world to go with an FHA loan. FHA is doing what they can to lessen their market share by bumping the mortgage insurance costs into the stratosphere.

When refinancing the loan-to value is calculated by the difference \between the current appraised value and the loan amount. On a purchase it is calculated by the difference between the lessor of the sales price or appraised value and the loan amount.

Hope that helps,

Giles
Old-Man
9/17/2014 9:56am
The current loan is Conventional.
I was looking at your Diagram and noticed that FHA was a lower down Payment.
I was looking for the best refinanced loan at Zero down and was hoping the equity would cover that.

Current appraised value = 170,000 (just had it done last week)
Current amount owed 97,000

So with what you are saying I could refinance Conventional and use part of the equity so that I need no money upfront?
Tracktor
9/17/2014 10:00am
Old-Man wrote:
The current loan is Conventional. I was looking at your Diagram and noticed that FHA was a lower down Payment. I was looking for the best...
The current loan is Conventional.
I was looking at your Diagram and noticed that FHA was a lower down Payment.
I was looking for the best refinanced loan at Zero down and was hoping the equity would cover that.

Current appraised value = 170,000 (just had it done last week)
Current amount owed 97,000

So with what you are saying I could refinance Conventional and use part of the equity so that I need no money upfront?
Short answer is yes. Down payment doesn't really apply to refinance transactions. My diagram above was more for purchases.

For sure you would use a conventional loan in your case as you are at a 57% LTV.

Mortgage insurance kicks in at +80% LTV on conventional first mortgages................
Old-Man
9/17/2014 10:17am
Looks great..Thxs!
Titan1
9/17/2014 11:23am
Rooster wrote:
Start with a condo. A house requires all sorts of maintenance and if you haven't got the extra cash in your budget it will only get...
Start with a condo.

A house requires all sorts of maintenance and if you haven't got the extra cash in your budget it will only get run down and hurt your investment in it.

Start small and work your way up. Build equity and the banks see that as being as good as cash. You'll be better off being a position where you can dump an extra grand on your mortgage than finding yourself needing that extra grand for a new hot water tank, or even more for say a roof repair job. Don't become mortgage poor and have less of a life simply because you wanted a house you couldn't quite afford.
Don't go the condo route...go the townhome route.

Townhomes and condo's are impossible to tell apart from looking at them...but rates are higher on condo's and there are way more hoops to jump through on the financing side...Townhomes will avoid that.
Titan1
9/17/2014 11:26am
I've been renting for a few years now and been trying to get into a house w/ minimal money down. Which I found pretty much impossible...
I've been renting for a few years now and been trying to get into a house w/ minimal money down. Which I found pretty much impossible to do since I live in such a high cost area and pay so much for rent. Right now I pay $1,112.00 for a 1 bedroom apartment in a fairly nice complex and I just got a letter in the mail saying they are going to raise my rent to $1,208.00. Which makes it pretty much impossible for me to save on a regular pay check.

Anyone have some advice for getting into a house? All the banks care about is how much money you have down. Shits infuriating...
There are a couple of 100% financing options available:

VA loans (if you are a veteran...active or reserve...you might be eligible...get your DD214 and have a lender pull your Cert of eligibility from the VA).

If you live in a rural area (and you might be surprised what is considered rural)...look into a USDA rural housing loan. 100% financing, VERY cheap PMI.

Most states (I believe Washington is one of them) will fund 100% financing programs...you'll just have to talk to a local mortgage company/credit union to find out.

Otherwise, FHA loans are EASY to qualify for and only require 3.5% down. The PMI is expensive on them-which stinks-and its on there for the life of the loan-which stinks even more.

Conventional loans require 5% down, and you can structure those loans so that you don't pay any PMI at all.
Titan1
9/17/2014 11:28am
I would try to save for a down payment as much as you can. My first home loan was a fha with not a lot down...
I would try to save for a down payment as much as you can. My first home loan was a fha with not a lot down but I had to pay an extra $100 per month for mortgage insurance which was pretty much the same as throwing that money in the trash every month. That's my only experience with home loans though.
MI does suck..but its often tax deductible (along with the mortgage interest)...so you aren't flushing it entirely down the drain.
Titan1
9/17/2014 11:30am
IWreckALot wrote:
FHA only requires 3.5% down. That's how my wife and I got our house. I think we put down about $5,000 on our house. It does...
FHA only requires 3.5% down. That's how my wife and I got our house. I think we put down about $5,000 on our house. It does suck paying the PMI though. That goes away when you have 20% paid off right?

Owning is a little more work but definitely worth it.
newmann wrote:
If your house is financed with Bank of America, don't count on that PMI to disappear after 20% without a fight. My wife along with her...
If your house is financed with Bank of America, don't count on that PMI to disappear after 20% without a fight. My wife along with her brother and sister jointly own a home that her parents live in. The mortgage was taken over by BOA and what a clusterphuck it has been dealing with those idiots. I have on many occasions offered to pay out our portion in full but the others aren't willing to do that. Money has been spent to do a refi and BoA didn't follow through citing issues with multiple people on the deed. PMI issues were a pain.
IWreckALot wrote:
I'm with Wells Fargo. I imagine that it'll be a pain in the ass with them also but I don't think we're going to be in...
I'm with Wells Fargo. I imagine that it'll be a pain in the ass with them also but I don't think we're going to be in this house much longer. Not long enough to get to 20% down.
Depending on when you closed on that FHA loan, it may never drop off EVER. Mortgage insurance is now permanent on FHA loans...
Titan1
9/17/2014 11:33am
Tracktor wrote:

And I should have read the thread before I made a dozen posts...Tractor covered the bases for you.
RM127
9/17/2014 12:04pm
Not trying to be a jerk,

But if you can't handle the $90 increase in your rent on your your current pay. Then you budget is out of wack. So shouldn't be cutting bills that close.

How much are you saving per month?
FIREfish148
9/17/2014 11:19pm
newmann wrote:
Are you a firefighter as in 24 on, 48 off?
Nah I work on airplanes up in Everett. Not sure why people thought I was a fire fighter ha.
FIREfish148
9/17/2014 11:21pm
newmann wrote:
If your house is financed with Bank of America, don't count on that PMI to disappear after 20% without a fight. My wife along with her...
If your house is financed with Bank of America, don't count on that PMI to disappear after 20% without a fight. My wife along with her brother and sister jointly own a home that her parents live in. The mortgage was taken over by BOA and what a clusterphuck it has been dealing with those idiots. I have on many occasions offered to pay out our portion in full but the others aren't willing to do that. Money has been spent to do a refi and BoA didn't follow through citing issues with multiple people on the deed. PMI issues were a pain.
IWreckALot wrote:
I'm with Wells Fargo. I imagine that it'll be a pain in the ass with them also but I don't think we're going to be in...
I'm with Wells Fargo. I imagine that it'll be a pain in the ass with them also but I don't think we're going to be in this house much longer. Not long enough to get to 20% down.
Titan1 wrote:
Depending on when you closed on that FHA loan, it may never drop off EVER. Mortgage insurance is now permanent on FHA loans...
This is what I've heard from the Becu advisor today too.
Cygnus
9/18/2014 8:39am
I am glad I have my place all paid off. 200 in taxes and 400 insurance is all I have to worry about. One of the best feelings in the world was making my last mortgage payment.
whyZ
9/18/2014 8:56am
Reading over this thread, and looking at your current situation, $ and employment, It might be an idea to think out of the box some. Appears you're not up against the wall, so look at other purchasing options.

Speaking for myself, I'd start networking and let people know that I'm on the hunt for a home. Let people know that you'd be interested in a buyer finance, maybe assume a mortgage, a lease to own, if the conditions were right. Just because you're purchasing a home doesn't mean the bank has to be involved. Plenty of for sell by owners out there.
hvaughn88
9/18/2014 9:14am
whyZ wrote:
Reading over this thread, and looking at your current situation, $ and employment, It might be an idea to think out of the box some. Appears...
Reading over this thread, and looking at your current situation, $ and employment, It might be an idea to think out of the box some. Appears you're not up against the wall, so look at other purchasing options.

Speaking for myself, I'd start networking and let people know that I'm on the hunt for a home. Let people know that you'd be interested in a buyer finance, maybe assume a mortgage, a lease to own, if the conditions were right. Just because you're purchasing a home doesn't mean the bank has to be involved. Plenty of for sell by owners out there.
If that's a route you go, be very, very, very, very (have I said "very" yet) careful about the terms of owner financing. In the field I'm in, I've seen some instances where the owner has papers drawn up and sitting on go to take back the property the hour that you are late delivering your payment...and it happened. There are instances where it works, but just please be careful.
Tracktor
9/18/2014 9:35am
whyZ wrote:
Reading over this thread, and looking at your current situation, $ and employment, It might be an idea to think out of the box some. Appears...

hvaughn88 wrote:
If that's a route you go, be very, very, very, very (have I said "very" yet) careful about the terms of owner financing. In the field...
If that's a route you go, be very, very, very, very (have I said "very" yet) careful about the terms of owner financing. In the field I'm in, I've seen some instances where the owner has papers drawn up and sitting on go to take back the property the hour that you are late delivering your payment...and it happened. There are instances where it works, but just please be careful.
I am dealing with one now. The seller has to own the property free & clear otherwise they will trigger the "due on sale" clause in there mortgage deed. Sellers try to get around this by not recording their private note. Turns into a huge mess. If you decide to go with private financing hire your own real estate attorney.............
9/18/2014 9:53am Edited Date/Time 9/18/2014 9:55am
I rent for 540€. 2 story house, 3 bedrooms, garage, little garden.

No reason for me to buy a house, i have no kids. I'm not gonna get into debt to give the government all my hard-earned money after i die. Worry about retirement? My father always says: don't buy a house, you get one when i die. I don't have to worry about my retirement so i just keep on renting and being debt-free for my whole life. I don't get people that go into debt for a car... Might as well burn up your money... The debt system is like the total opposite of freedom.

If i would have kids, things would be the opposite. I can see that parents want to build something for themselves and their kids.

hvaughn88
9/18/2014 9:59am
whyZ wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
If that's a route you go, be very, very, very, very (have I said "very" yet) careful about the terms of owner financing. In the field...
Tracktor wrote:
I am dealing with one now. The seller has to own the property free & clear otherwise they will trigger the "due on sale" clause in...
I am dealing with one now. The seller has to own the property free & clear otherwise they will trigger the "due on sale" clause in there mortgage deed. Sellers try to get around this by not recording their private note. Turns into a huge mess. If you decide to go with private financing hire your own real estate attorney.............
i agree with that advice.
SF45
9/19/2014 3:42pm
Pffffff, $1200 for a one bedroom? Pocket change.Try $4,000 to $6,000 in San Francisco right now.
9/19/2014 5:19pm
I'm renting a 3/2 in a gated community paying $1875 which is $300 to $600 lower than other houses in the neighborhood. I wouldn't even consider buying a house right now as the market has inflated almost right back to where it was before the crash.

Went and looked at a few model tract homes down the street from my work that are priced over 500k. Fuck these people.
9/20/2014 9:29am
PMI doesn't drop off anymore your stuck with it on any new FHA loans until you can refi (if you choose to). I pay less for a 3bdr 2bath 2000 sqft home then I did renting a 900 sqft 2bd 1 bath apt (California lol). This includes taxes and insurance. Also you can save money combining home and auto insurance in most cases.

Post a reply to: How many of you rent?

The Latest