House Building Journey

mjr119
Hey guys,

My wife and I are starting the "exciting" journey of building our first home. We are in the planning phase and have just made our initial contacts with some builders.

I am looking for some recommendations. From do's and don'ts of the building process, to neat features that other people have in their homes (or wish they had) or have seen, etc. Nice features/amenities. Suggestions. Anything?

Some background info:

This is a lake house at the end of a street. We bought the property across the street to build my moto garage. We will also have an attached 2 car garage. The house design will be modern/urban lake house. Large windows in front facing the water.

Anybody build a house and think back, "man I wish I had done this or not done that?"

Thanks and I look forward to posting some pics in a few months!
|
motogrady
1/17/2017 6:42am
Avoid upgrades half way thru, stay on budget, and pay nobody in full until their work is completed.
borg
1/17/2017 6:49am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 6:52am

Construction video.

borg
1/17/2017 6:53am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 6:56am
If you have time, go through this thread. It has some excellent ideas and how to's for the above project.
Building
It's long but there are many rewards. Some great commentary too.
mjr119
1/17/2017 7:06am
Thanks for the replies. I'll watch the video after work.

Side note: I am not really talking about the garage specifically. I'll certainly listen to those suggestions. More interested in hearing housing ideas. Like neat features that might not be popular yet. I don't want to finish the house and find new technology/features that I wish I had used from the beginning.

The Shop

mjr119
1/17/2017 7:07am
Also, this will be a completely custom home. We are not planning to half ass anything.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
1/17/2017 7:20am
A few questions if you can answer, that may help people give you some ideas.

What climate will you be building in? Which direction will the house face? What is your idea of square footage? Single, or multi-level? What is the topography like, is it level or sloping?
MR. X
1/17/2017 7:27am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 7:28am
Not sure on your location ,like mentioned above ,build to accommodate the normal winds , snowy area? Don't want it drifting in front of the garage doors . Every where is different about building codes but insist on plywood underlayment for the roof. I always said if I built a house it would have radiant floor heating ,ya don't realize how nice it is til someone else you know has it .
mjr119
1/17/2017 7:45am
AHRMA361 wrote:
A few questions if you can answer, that may help people give you some ideas. What climate will you be building in? Which direction will the...
A few questions if you can answer, that may help people give you some ideas.

What climate will you be building in? Which direction will the house face? What is your idea of square footage? Single, or multi-level? What is the topography like, is it level or sloping?
Sure I can answer.

Climate: I live in Central North Carolina. So it goes both ways. It gets cold, but not much snow, but it also gets pretty hot in the summer.

The house will be facing NWish, more towards west. Not exactly sure, as I want the builder to help with this decision. The view will be the most important aspect of the house.

Sq footage will be around 2500 or so. 2 levels.

Our lot is pretty level. It is actually 2 lots combined into 1. Lake lots are small so we cant really build anything with a huge footprint. So the house will be more long and narrow, with a garage coming off of the non-lake side.

Here is an inspiration home design: http://www.olsenstudios.com/portfolio-item/urbanlakehouse/

I think we will end up with a similar lay out. Must haves are the vaulted ceiling and open concept. I like the back entry way with the windows being able to see all the way through it (this will give you a view of the lake from the backside).

mjr119
1/17/2017 7:47am
MR. X wrote:
Not sure on your location ,like mentioned above ,build to accommodate the normal winds , snowy area? Don't want it drifting in front of the garage...
Not sure on your location ,like mentioned above ,build to accommodate the normal winds , snowy area? Don't want it drifting in front of the garage doors . Every where is different about building codes but insist on plywood underlayment for the roof. I always said if I built a house it would have radiant floor heating ,ya don't realize how nice it is til someone else you know has it .
Central North Carolina. Not enough snow to worry about.

I am interested in radiant floor heat. I'll have to do some research on it. Is it much more expensive than central heat (when starting from scratch)? We want to go with natural gas for our heat source.

mjr119
1/17/2017 7:48am
Thanks for the replies! I would also be interested in hearing from people outside of the US.

My in-laws live in Paris and their home has a lot of unique features not usually found in a US home.
MR. X
1/17/2017 8:10am
mjr119 wrote:
Central North Carolina. Not enough snow to worry about. I am interested in radiant floor heat. I'll have to do some research on it. Is it...

I am interested in radiant floor heat. I'll have to do some research on it. Is it much more expensive than central heat (when starting from scratch)? We want to go with natural gas for our heat source.

I can't really say as far as pricing ,the guy I know who has it ,his system is tied into the boiler for his on demand hot water . He chose not to run duct work and now he wants to add AC and his options are really limited.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
1/17/2017 8:50am Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 9:06am
I've built four different homes (just built again in 2015) and built homes myself during college..the most recent home was completely custom.

-9' ceilings a must
-If you have a basement add an extra course of block
-Add plumbing to basement for future shower, toilet
-Add plenty of outlets to the garage
-If a 2-story, dual zone heating/cooling a must have
-Insist on plywood exterior sheating (not foam with plywood corners)
- Pay to have them paint the interior the colors you want during construction
- Do not use vinyl siding ( LP siding and or brick/stone)
- Do not install linoleum/vinyl or any fake flooring, stick with tile and wood (carpet ok where you want)
-Make sure the builder provides good allowances for decent plumbing/electrical/etc (faucets, tiolets,lighting, etc) so you dont get surprised with a huge add-on
-Stay out of the builders hair during the building process, but confirm the work as they go in the evenings. When you find issues BE NICE in addressing them and understand shit happens

I stayed on top of everything during our building process and the home came in $4000 under bid. We had no change orders because we knew what we wanted up front.

Nellie12
1/17/2017 9:08am
Are there boathouses on the lake and if so, will you have one? Does the lake level rise and fall or is the lake constant level? Views, views, views....design with this in mind. I really like the design/style of that firms work. Great choice! Good luck. My nephew and family live in Durham and really like NC.
ns503
1/17/2017 9:40am
MR. X wrote:
Not sure on your location ,like mentioned above ,build to accommodate the normal winds , snowy area? Don't want it drifting in front of the garage...
mjr119 wrote:
Central North Carolina. Not enough snow to worry about. I am interested in radiant floor heat. I'll have to do some research on it. Is it...

Radiant is nice, sure - but it won't do anything for summer a/c.

I have hot water heating here, and I'm not a fan of duct work in general - so might consider mini-splits/ductless heat pumps for heating & cooling in your shoes.

Bottom line is consider heating & cooling demands/wants together in the decision - all kinds of permutations & connotations out there, could even go with both in-floor + boiler, and ductless for a/c.
Huffer632
1/17/2017 9:40am
Will the house be a walk out? If so and you have the room,make a large bathroom downstairs that has access from outside the house. My parents did this at their house for the pool bathroom and it kept a lot of wet people from wandering around the basement looking for the bathroom.
mjr119
1/17/2017 10:10am
Awesome comments so far. Thanks everyone.

A few notes, I wont reply individually.

We will NOT have a basement due to the expense and the lot we are building on.

The lake that we live on does have some boat houses, but unfortunately you are not able to build new ones anymore. So only if you have an existing boathouse, and our lots did not.

The lake levels fluctuate tremendously during the off season, anywhere from full pond to 5-10ft down. Our dock ends up sitting on the ground at some point during the winter.

We have a wooden sea wall now, which needs repair, so we will be building a new sea wall. Either wood or rocks.

We are rebuilding our pier and dock with aluminum components. It is wood now.
MR. X
1/17/2017 10:19am
ns503 wrote:
Radiant is nice, sure - but it won't do anything for summer a/c. I have hot water heating here, and I'm not a fan of duct...
Radiant is nice, sure - but it won't do anything for summer a/c.

I have hot water heating here, and I'm not a fan of duct work in general - so might consider mini-splits/ductless heat pumps for heating & cooling in your shoes.

Bottom line is consider heating & cooling demands/wants together in the decision - all kinds of permutations & connotations out there, could even go with both in-floor + boiler, and ductless for a/c.
Ya for sure , I did another post because they ran no ducts and it really limits your ability to cool things down in the summer .
Dtat720
1/17/2017 10:22am
If you are willing to build with modern thinking, dont stick build, ie: wood framing. ICE Block and SIPS panel roofing. Cut your utility bills by 70% from the start. Allows for a lot more "custom" work. Hurricane proof as well. You will not regret it.
Rooster
1/17/2017 11:52am
motogrady wrote:
Avoid upgrades half way thru, stay on budget, and pay nobody in full until their work is completed.
Keep 15-20% of every payment during the build to be paid out when the job is finished.

Document everything. Never agree to additions without a change order/price tag attached.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/17/2017 12:00pm
Since your shop will be across the street, you may not need to plan quite so carefully, however:
PLAN where all your trees, shrubs, etc. will go. You don't know how many times I've wished I didn't plant that darn palm tree in that one spot.... it blocks my RV/trailer access! Speaking of trees, having a few on the west side of your house will do wonders for your air conditioning bill in the summer.
Also, plan a nice ingress/egress to your parking areas, especially if an RV or trailer is in your future.
ledger
1/17/2017 12:26pm
On the high end, insulation, window's and roof.
Holigan
1/17/2017 12:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 12:31pm
- Use foam insulation (Icynene, Demilac, etc).
- air exchanger
- 10' or 11' plates on 1st floor, 10' on 2nd floor
- 8' solid core doors throughout
- tankless water heaters
- zone all of the HVAC with control system by phone
- have a media guy run your TV cable throughout the house, not the electrician
- real wood or engineered wood floors
- search and search again on pricing (you can always find it cheaper but same quality on everything)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWFcEPWn-76UkQX1DJMInEA
Skidaddle
1/17/2017 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 1/17/2017 2:18pm
Don't build something non conforming to the area, or overbuilt for the area.

Because when it comes time to refi, or sell to a regular joe, you're at the mercy of comps unless selling to cash and the buyer is in love with it.

Otherwise you could potentially be sitting on an upside down brand new home.

We have an extreme case of a 4.5 MM dollar brand new custom estate about a mile or so from me who is about even, or maybe even 10-15% upside down. Maybe even more. His build loan was 70% of the ABV at the time they started 2 years ago.

motosmith
1/17/2017 2:18pm
Hot and Cold hose bib for washing the cars and motorcycle. I love mine. It keeps your hands nice and toasty in the winter.

Install the hose bib inside the garage. It looks better than hanging it off the side of your house. This pic is a cold line but you get the idea.

Berni
1/17/2017 2:22pm
I am not from the states but I think It might be there same everywhere..... Look for an architect, and a good one not a cheap one, tell him what your needs are, and trust him..... The look for 3/4 contractors once the project is complete so they can bid according to the specifications.
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
1/17/2017 3:18pm
motosmith wrote:
Hot and Cold hose bib for washing the cars and motorcycle. I love mine. It keeps your hands nice and toasty in the winter. [img]https://envcdn.secure.footprint.net/images/PacificRidgeHomes/Option/55237e10-547f-488c-9b0a-0dc3096c88c8.jpg[/img] Install...
Hot and Cold hose bib for washing the cars and motorcycle. I love mine. It keeps your hands nice and toasty in the winter.

Install the hose bib inside the garage. It looks better than hanging it off the side of your house. This pic is a cold line but you get the idea.

The hot and cold bib is something I never thought about..great idea. We do have a bib inside the garage that is softened water.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/17/2017 3:34pm
motosmith wrote:
Hot and Cold hose bib for washing the cars and motorcycle. I love mine. It keeps your hands nice and toasty in the winter. [img]https://envcdn.secure.footprint.net/images/PacificRidgeHomes/Option/55237e10-547f-488c-9b0a-0dc3096c88c8.jpg[/img] Install...

Brad460 wrote:
The hot and cold bib is something I never thought about..great idea. We do have a bib inside the garage that is softened water.
Wow, the hot and cold hose bib idea is awesome!
The bib inside the garage? Not so much. I have that in my home now... not a fan. I'm not even sure why; I just don't like it very much. I much prefer to roll up my hose and put it in the garage after use.
motogrady
1/17/2017 5:01pm

Radiant heat, in concrete, fed by a boiler takes maybe 3 hrs to warm the slab.
You can't just come home and turn up the temperature.
And no ac.

Mini split, ductless heat pumps the coming thing, but are very complex to work on.
Same with the higher end furnaces and heat-pumps.

If you have natural gas available, imo, the best HVAC system, as far as performance and longevity are concerned,
is a mid grade 95% gas furnace with a 14 to 15 seer straight central air conditioner. Will last 20 years,
If you don't have natural gas, and are thinking propane, forget it, go straight heat pump, all electric,
Some will try to sell you a hybrid, a gas furnace with a heat pump instead of a straight ac unit.
Again, complex, something goes up, not every guy in the local HVAC shop will be able to fix that thing.

2 stories, with the above ducted system, you can go with just one system, but you will find the 2 floors will
never really be the same, temp wise. Summer, the top floor will be a bit hotter, winter the bottom floor a bit colder.
This can be avoided by zoning the 2 floors, but again, things get complex. Zoning a duct system, you put in a zone control board, which then becomes the brain of the whole sheebang. The furnace, the zones, the thermostats, the ac units, are all slaves to the board. It can be kind of overwhelming to a guy lacking in HVAC experience.

Or you can put in 2 systems, top and bottom. More money, but you can keep the floors the same, temp wise, and have a kinda back up when one goes down.

And all of this can be controlled off an Internet ready thermostat. A Honeywell pro 8000 is just fine.

I'd stay away from the smart house wiring stuff. Again, complex the guys that work that stuff charge a ton.

Myself, I'm thinking going 2 floors is a kinda mistake.
The area you live in is prime retirement location. And retirees don't want steps. Neither will you one day.
A washer and dryer near the master bedroom is killer, def on the same level.

Good luck dude.

woodsrider427
1/17/2017 6:29pm
motogrady wrote:
Radiant heat, in concrete, fed by a boiler takes maybe 3 hrs to warm the slab. You can't just come home and turn up the temperature...

Radiant heat, in concrete, fed by a boiler takes maybe 3 hrs to warm the slab.
You can't just come home and turn up the temperature.
And no ac.

Mini split, ductless heat pumps the coming thing, but are very complex to work on.
Same with the higher end furnaces and heat-pumps.

If you have natural gas available, imo, the best HVAC system, as far as performance and longevity are concerned,
is a mid grade 95% gas furnace with a 14 to 15 seer straight central air conditioner. Will last 20 years,
If you don't have natural gas, and are thinking propane, forget it, go straight heat pump, all electric,
Some will try to sell you a hybrid, a gas furnace with a heat pump instead of a straight ac unit.
Again, complex, something goes up, not every guy in the local HVAC shop will be able to fix that thing.

2 stories, with the above ducted system, you can go with just one system, but you will find the 2 floors will
never really be the same, temp wise. Summer, the top floor will be a bit hotter, winter the bottom floor a bit colder.
This can be avoided by zoning the 2 floors, but again, things get complex. Zoning a duct system, you put in a zone control board, which then becomes the brain of the whole sheebang. The furnace, the zones, the thermostats, the ac units, are all slaves to the board. It can be kind of overwhelming to a guy lacking in HVAC experience.

Or you can put in 2 systems, top and bottom. More money, but you can keep the floors the same, temp wise, and have a kinda back up when one goes down.

And all of this can be controlled off an Internet ready thermostat. A Honeywell pro 8000 is just fine.

I'd stay away from the smart house wiring stuff. Again, complex the guys that work that stuff charge a ton.

Myself, I'm thinking going 2 floors is a kinda mistake.
The area you live in is prime retirement location. And retirees don't want steps. Neither will you one day.
A washer and dryer near the master bedroom is killer, def on the same level.

Good luck dude.

Code here now dictates a zoned system if trying to use one system for two floors.

I agree with the 2 floors thing, if anything the master bedroom definitely needs to be on the first floor. Around my area of NC, all the bedrooms on the second floor is the kiss of death for resale unless it's in the city limits (younger demographic of buyers).

OP, good luck with the build. Have some patience with the builder, it's not as easy as it looks on TV!!
fullfloater
Fantasy
13th
1/18/2017 2:10am Edited Date/Time 1/18/2017 2:16am
Noticed that your urban lake house link (like it by the way) has concrete floors. I did polished concrete floors and underfloor heating. Love it! Durable surface, heats up with the sun. Mine is heated with a heat pump (not too hot/cold here) and I have a split meter for day/night rates. I only heat it during off-peak hours so it's reasonable to keep it warm. My neighbor does the same but uses a boiler. I run my dishwasher, dryer, etc after 11PM too. Mine is a single story. Perimeter insulation around the slab so you don't lose as much heat through the sides. Don't skimp on tiles in the bathroom(s). Floor to ceiling tiles and walk in showers does add some flair. We don't even have glass doors on the showers -- rooms are sort of L shaped with the shower in the back and the water runs back into a strip drain. High-end windows and sliders, cladding and you're good! I built a fairly small house because I was so pissed at the cost to heat a large (inefficient) house. Now that I know how reasonable it is to heat and run an efficient house, I would have added a great room or something.

Post a reply to: House Building Journey

The Latest