Home owners ins claim

71Fish
Edited Date/Time 5/9/2016 11:21am
I have never had to make any kind of claim against my homeowners insurance. I had some wind damage last week, lost some roof damage and made a claim.

I've received back what the insurance company wants to give me, i'm just waiting for the check.
One of the roofing company guys I spoke to wants to see the insurance report so, in his words "he can make sure they didn't miss anything". Sounds nice, but I don't think the roofer needs to know how much I'm getting back in insurance. It's not like they post what they charge on their web sites, so for all I know, he charges exactly what the insurance company paid me for the repairs required. It's what I would do.

Do you agree that it is a bad idea to show a roofer my insurance report?

No offense to any roofers here, but I've talked to 3 local guys and they all seem shady.
|
Titan1
5/6/2016 4:19pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2016 4:20pm
I'd make a copy of the insurance report...but black out all numbers on it (keep the original for yourself). He doesn't need to know the numbers to get you a quote.
71Fish
5/6/2016 4:26pm
Titan1 wrote:
I'd make a copy of the insurance report...but black out all numbers on it (keep the original for yourself). He doesn't need to know the numbers...
I'd make a copy of the insurance report...but black out all numbers on it (keep the original for yourself). He doesn't need to know the numbers to get you a quote.
That sounds like a good idea.
Brad460
Fantasy
780th
5/6/2016 4:26pm
Sucks that you had to file a claim...my good friend's house got broken into so they filed a claim and shortly after his insurance company raised his rates on everything ( cars, home, etc ). He shopped around and was rejected by everyone because he had to go three years without a claim...

Anyways, doesn't the insurance company have a few roofers they can recommend? Most insurance companies have preferred providers..

71Fish
5/6/2016 4:49pm
Brad460 wrote:
Sucks that you had to file a claim...my good friend's house got broken into so they filed a claim and shortly after his insurance company raised...
Sucks that you had to file a claim...my good friend's house got broken into so they filed a claim and shortly after his insurance company raised his rates on everything ( cars, home, etc ). He shopped around and was rejected by everyone because he had to go three years without a claim...

Anyways, doesn't the insurance company have a few roofers they can recommend? Most insurance companies have preferred providers..

Seems like for auto claims and windshield repair they have a preferred provider, I guess not for roofing.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/6/2016 4:59pm
That's need to know info, and he doesn't need to know. If you're happy with what you are getting back, then just pay the roofer and be done with it.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/6/2016 6:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2016 10:41pm
Ive had quite a bit of if experience. Our house got hit by the tornado severalw years back. You gotta play your cards close to your vest. Obviously, that time it wasn't just roofers. Had to keep an eye on all involved. Insur guy ran over it in about thirty minutes! Did I mention tornado? I asked for another one and he found most of what I expected like structural and foundatin issues. This time the roof was fine (tornados are weird that way. Had several roofs from hail alone.

Zoom in in the pic. Those are Clydesdales for perspective.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/6/2016 6:06pm
That is the tornado still going strong after it hit my house.

71Fish
5/6/2016 7:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2016 7:43pm
kzizok wrote:
That is the tornado still going strong after it hit my house. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/06/134233/s1200_image.jpg[/img]
That is the tornado still going strong after it hit my house.

One thing I don't miss about LA is the tornados.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
5/6/2016 7:48pm
How did they decide how much to pay if there wasn't a quote for the repair cost?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/6/2016 7:56pm
71Fish wrote:
One thing I don't miss about LA is the tornados.
Last week we had tornados and earthquakes!
newmann
5/6/2016 8:19pm
71Fish wrote:
I have never had to make any kind of claim against my homeowners insurance. I had some wind damage last week, lost some roof damage and...
I have never had to make any kind of claim against my homeowners insurance. I had some wind damage last week, lost some roof damage and made a claim.

I've received back what the insurance company wants to give me, i'm just waiting for the check.
One of the roofing company guys I spoke to wants to see the insurance report so, in his words "he can make sure they didn't miss anything". Sounds nice, but I don't think the roofer needs to know how much I'm getting back in insurance. It's not like they post what they charge on their web sites, so for all I know, he charges exactly what the insurance company paid me for the repairs required. It's what I would do.

No offense to any roofers here, but I've talked to 3 local guys and they all seem shady.
How much is your deductible? You pay it and the insurance company pays the rest. Do you think your insurance adjuster who has 120 more houses to look at this week really caught all the damage? Did he remove shingles and decking to do a thorough estimate? The reason the roofing contractor wanted to see your insurance quote was probably due to the fact that he wasn't shady. I deal with this every single day in the collision repair business. Customers wanting to get out of paying their deductible and pocket money. In the end, they end up getting a shitty ass repair from as you described, a "shady" contractor/shop and end up with a vehicle/house worth less than before it was damaged. Do yourself a favor and hire the reputable roofer you want to do your repairs. Screw getting a half dozen bids, get your house repaired properly, pay your deductible as you agreed to when you purchased your policy and move on knowing that you protected your investment.

People come to me to get their car repaired properly and ask for an estimate. I provide a detailed estimate and they freak because I'm way more expensive than their insurance company who only touched on the surface(not allowed to write anything they "can't see"), allowed for Chinese aftermarket parts on their 6 month old car, wrote the estimate for labor rates 20 bucks per hour lower than the entire market area and allowed enough paint materials to do 40% of what needs refinished. They are counting on you to be a cheap ass and find someone to do it for what they allowed , or less, and not call them for a proper supplement. But guess what? Call them for a proper supplement for proper repairs and they pay the bill.
newmann
5/6/2016 8:24pm
Brad460 wrote:
Sucks that you had to file a claim...my good friend's house got broken into so they filed a claim and shortly after his insurance company raised...

You are trusting the insurance company who will raise your rates for filing a claim to send you a "preferred" roofer? Think about that for a moment.

Many preferred providers are reputable local companies but you should do your own homework and make sure they are the reputable contractor that you want to deal with. It's your house and you are paying the note.
71Fish
5/6/2016 9:35pm
71Fish wrote:
I have never had to make any kind of claim against my homeowners insurance. I had some wind damage last week, lost some roof damage and...

newmann wrote:
How much is your deductible? You pay it and the insurance company pays the rest. Do you think your insurance adjuster who has 120 more houses...
How much is your deductible? You pay it and the insurance company pays the rest. Do you think your insurance adjuster who has 120 more houses to look at this week really caught all the damage? Did he remove shingles and decking to do a thorough estimate? The reason the roofing contractor wanted to see your insurance quote was probably due to the fact that he wasn't shady. I deal with this every single day in the collision repair business. Customers wanting to get out of paying their deductible and pocket money. In the end, they end up getting a shitty ass repair from as you described, a "shady" contractor/shop and end up with a vehicle/house worth less than before it was damaged. Do yourself a favor and hire the reputable roofer you want to do your repairs. Screw getting a half dozen bids, get your house repaired properly, pay your deductible as you agreed to when you purchased your policy and move on knowing that you protected your investment.

People come to me to get their car repaired properly and ask for an estimate. I provide a detailed estimate and they freak because I'm way more expensive than their insurance company who only touched on the surface(not allowed to write anything they "can't see"), allowed for Chinese aftermarket parts on their 6 month old car, wrote the estimate for labor rates 20 bucks per hour lower than the entire market area and allowed enough paint materials to do 40% of what needs refinished. They are counting on you to be a cheap ass and find someone to do it for what they allowed , or less, and not call them for a proper supplement. But guess what? Call them for a proper supplement for proper repairs and they pay the bill.
Easy big fella. No one said anything about getting out of paying deductibles or a fair price.
I said up front I've never dealt with this before so I don't know the ins and outs.
It's not personal.
newmann
5/6/2016 10:05pm
71Fish wrote:
Easy big fella. No one said anything about getting out of paying deductibles or a fair price. I said up front I've never dealt with this...
Easy big fella. No one said anything about getting out of paying deductibles or a fair price.
I said up front I've never dealt with this before so I don't know the ins and outs.
It's not personal.
I'm cool...Smile Just don't want to see you get bad advise and shortchanged on repairs.

Your house is a big investment, find a good roofer. Ask around and get actual word of mouth referrals. Insurance companies would not be in business if they overpayed claims. Make sure you get what they owe, nothing more, nothing less.
71Fish
5/7/2016 6:41am
newmann wrote:
I'm cool...:) Just don't want to see you get bad advise and shortchanged on repairs. Your house is a big investment, find a good roofer. Ask...
I'm cool...Smile Just don't want to see you get bad advise and shortchanged on repairs.

Your house is a big investment, find a good roofer. Ask around and get actual word of mouth referrals. Insurance companies would not be in business if they overpayed claims. Make sure you get what they owe, nothing more, nothing less.
This happened last Saturday night into most of Sunday. Got the insurance guy out Tuesday. What really sucks is I will be out of town for 3 weeks starting Monday. So the last couple of days I feel like I've been rushing to get shit taken care of. The damage is patched temporarily. The damaged fence is now supported. I just need to chill and take care of everything when I get back, and do some proper research while I'm away on business.
bsm121
5/7/2016 7:22am
A good roofer will know far more about the adjusting process than you.
Show him the ins report.
500guy
5/7/2016 8:27am
newmann wrote:
I'm cool...:) Just don't want to see you get bad advise and shortchanged on repairs. Your house is a big investment, find a good roofer. Ask...

I also think He should be careful about what info He gives the roofer sure He might want to make sure the estimate was accurate but He might be trying to see what else He can get too, not everyone is above board like you Joe.
500guy
5/7/2016 8:29am
bsm121 wrote:
A good roofer will know far more about the adjusting process than you.
Show him the ins report.
A good roofer will make his own report and it should in most cases be more detailed, to many people working to many sides and none of them are in the home owners best interest.
motogeezer
5/7/2016 8:52am
Your instinct about the roofer wanting to see the report is spot on.

He wants to make sure he's not leaving any money on the table.

Get three quotes from reputable roofing companies, and if they're more than your insurance quote, tell your insurance company they screwed up.

Never let any contractor know how much your budget is, because odds are, he'll take it all, given the opportunity..
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/7/2016 12:51pm
Lots of good info in this thread.
bsm121
5/7/2016 5:14pm
motogeezer wrote:
Your instinct about the roofer wanting to see the report is spot on. He wants to make sure he's not leaving any money on the table...

Get three quotes from reputable roofing companies, and if they're more than your insurance quote, tell your insurance company they screwed up.

Never let any contractor know how much your budget is, because odds are, he'll take it all, given the opportunity..
It is likely that all three quotes will be higher than the ins payout due to depreciation and deductible.
This is where using a roofer with knowledge of the adjustment process is beneficial.
MX558
5/8/2016 6:17pm
motogeezer wrote:
Your instinct about the roofer wanting to see the report is spot on. He wants to make sure he's not leaving any money on the table...

You are correct , never let a contractor see any ins report as they will take it all if they can especially the storm chasers . I had hail damage a while ago , ins gave me 9 k . I didn't even ask how much they were willing to give. I had a great roofer do it for 5 . The extra 4k went in my pocket .
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/9/2016 7:20am
Usually, you would want to get some quotes from roofers prior to getting your adjuster out. My experience has been that the insurance companies have been pretty good about paying what the contractors are bidding if in reason. So at that point if the insurance estimator misses something you can say, hey, I had a contractor out and he recommended xyz but hasn't given a price yet. The insurance estimator goes off a computer program and it's pretty liberal on cost. It's just that they have to input all the repairs to get the maximum amount of work done.
Since you already have the estimate, you can say the estimate includes fixing xyz damage but I wouldn't show the numbers. Typically, if there is a good reason to go with a particular contractor the insurance will even pay more than their estimate to meet the contractor's bid but they will absolve themselves of any warranty after that. If you use a contractor off their list and there are problems, you can call the ins company to get the contractor to fix the problems.
If you feel confident in a company to do the repairs on your own, you can probably get a contractor to do the work for less than the insurance bid and put money in your pocket.
It's all about the risk of getting good work.
71Fish
5/9/2016 7:54am Edited Date/Time 5/9/2016 8:06am
ToolMaker wrote:
Usually, you would want to get some quotes from roofers prior to getting your adjuster out. My experience has been that the insurance companies have been...
Usually, you would want to get some quotes from roofers prior to getting your adjuster out. My experience has been that the insurance companies have been pretty good about paying what the contractors are bidding if in reason. So at that point if the insurance estimator misses something you can say, hey, I had a contractor out and he recommended xyz but hasn't given a price yet. The insurance estimator goes off a computer program and it's pretty liberal on cost. It's just that they have to input all the repairs to get the maximum amount of work done.
Since you already have the estimate, you can say the estimate includes fixing xyz damage but I wouldn't show the numbers. Typically, if there is a good reason to go with a particular contractor the insurance will even pay more than their estimate to meet the contractor's bid but they will absolve themselves of any warranty after that. If you use a contractor off their list and there are problems, you can call the ins company to get the contractor to fix the problems.
If you feel confident in a company to do the repairs on your own, you can probably get a contractor to do the work for less than the insurance bid and put money in your pocket.
It's all about the risk of getting good work.
That's what I'm realizing about getting some bids first.

Considering where I live I'll get more opportunities to fix wind damage.

Kind of a little funny side story. I live in the mouth of a canyon, so we have a wind storm that causes damage about once a year. Sometimes I've been lucky, other times not. We had a storm as bad as this recent storm in 2011, and again 2 years ago but not as bad. I did lose a fence in that one. In both of those previous storms I also lost some shingles. It wasn't a lot so I patched it up myself. So when the insurance guy came out this time I wasn't sure if I should admit to patching it myself so I said I didn't do it, maybe the previous owner did. He then said, "well whoever did it didn't know what the hell they were doing". Touche. He probably knew I wasn't being honest but didn't want to call me a liar.

In my defense, those past storms were in November and it was freezing. Hammering nails with frozen hands doesn't mix. I have since looked at some You tube videos so if I patch the roof again it should look better.

The next door neighbor's son is a roofer and is getting me an estimate this week.
The roofer who was asking to see my insurance quote was probably storm chaser like Toolmaker described. I got his number from a flyer left on my door the day after the storm.
5/9/2016 11:21am
sounds like you are hoping the roofer fixes it for less than your insurance check so you can pocket the extra.

I had my roofer actually be there the same time as insurance inspector. They walked the roof together. All turned out well and I got a new roof and gutters.

MT MX
9/16/2016 10:06am
Hoping I can re-ignite this thread and get some help/info..........
I recently had an insurance adjustor at my house hoping to get a few bucks from insurance to replace my roof due to some storm damage over the summer. He went through the entire exterior of my dwelling and all outbuildings and gave me a report itemizing everything. Cut me a check right there. Explained depreciation and the purpose of their withholdings. Fine and dandy.
So, I took one of the claim checks I received to a local Wells Fargo Bank to have them notorize it as well, since they are my mortgage holder. I sat there forever and finally they gave me a disclaimer to sign saying I would fix the issues within 120 days. I told the banker it was impossible because of winter coming and she really didn't give a shit about anything. (I don't know if it was because they aren't a WF Mortgage branch. They said they didn't even have a Mortgage dept. locally?). Last night I read some fine print and it said Wells Fargo MIGHT have an inspector come and make sure repairs have been completed and I should call to have an inspection done.
My questions are do they really have an inspector come to make sure repairs have been done? Especially for at most 5000 dollars? The ACV (Actual cash value) check I received was a little over 5000 bucks. They gave me 1200 bucks ACV because of depreciation of my roof, but to have it re-roofed it would be in reality about 3400 bucks (I already had quotes). So, do the banks really check up to make sure these repairs were done? One other thing the adjustor said was an issue was my aluminum siding was 'damaged' on 3 sides of my house. I've been in and around construction for 20 years and the siding is fine, especially since the home is only a 150,000 dollar home anyways. I planned to use the remaining balance from the checks to replace stuff that actually needs to be replaced, i.e. single pane windows, repair sidewalk/front stoop, etc..
Should I be sweating bullets on this? I'm trying to get the house ready to sell and this is why I want to replace the roof and other things. I have no interest in replacing the siding though when it will not necessarily increase the price or value of the home. I'd rather focus efforts on things that are detrimental and need to be addressed. I'm half temped to send part of the check back and eliminate the headache all because of 2000 bucks ultimately.
Sorry this is so long and a little scattered brained. These are just some thoughts/questions I've been brain storming about. I really would appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks
APLMAN99
9/16/2016 10:44am
MT MX wrote:
Hoping I can re-ignite this thread and get some help/info.......... I recently had an insurance adjustor at my house hoping to get a few bucks from...
Hoping I can re-ignite this thread and get some help/info..........
I recently had an insurance adjustor at my house hoping to get a few bucks from insurance to replace my roof due to some storm damage over the summer. He went through the entire exterior of my dwelling and all outbuildings and gave me a report itemizing everything. Cut me a check right there. Explained depreciation and the purpose of their withholdings. Fine and dandy.
So, I took one of the claim checks I received to a local Wells Fargo Bank to have them notorize it as well, since they are my mortgage holder. I sat there forever and finally they gave me a disclaimer to sign saying I would fix the issues within 120 days. I told the banker it was impossible because of winter coming and she really didn't give a shit about anything. (I don't know if it was because they aren't a WF Mortgage branch. They said they didn't even have a Mortgage dept. locally?). Last night I read some fine print and it said Wells Fargo MIGHT have an inspector come and make sure repairs have been completed and I should call to have an inspection done.
My questions are do they really have an inspector come to make sure repairs have been done? Especially for at most 5000 dollars? The ACV (Actual cash value) check I received was a little over 5000 bucks. They gave me 1200 bucks ACV because of depreciation of my roof, but to have it re-roofed it would be in reality about 3400 bucks (I already had quotes). So, do the banks really check up to make sure these repairs were done? One other thing the adjustor said was an issue was my aluminum siding was 'damaged' on 3 sides of my house. I've been in and around construction for 20 years and the siding is fine, especially since the home is only a 150,000 dollar home anyways. I planned to use the remaining balance from the checks to replace stuff that actually needs to be replaced, i.e. single pane windows, repair sidewalk/front stoop, etc..
Should I be sweating bullets on this? I'm trying to get the house ready to sell and this is why I want to replace the roof and other things. I have no interest in replacing the siding though when it will not necessarily increase the price or value of the home. I'd rather focus efforts on things that are detrimental and need to be addressed. I'm half temped to send part of the check back and eliminate the headache all because of 2000 bucks ultimately.
Sorry this is so long and a little scattered brained. These are just some thoughts/questions I've been brain storming about. I really would appreciate any thoughts or comments. Thanks
No offense personally, but this is exactly why insurance companies are sometimes so difficult to deal with.......
MT MX
9/16/2016 12:48pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
No offense personally, but this is exactly why insurance companies are sometimes so difficult to deal with.......
I guess I don't really understand your comment, because my issue is more so with the mortgage holder and not so much the insurance company. Also, I assume you are blaming people in this (or similar situations) for your inconveniences?
I have paid homeowners insurance for 20+ years and this is my FIRST time I have ever filed a claim. I pay a shitload in premiums every month, on time, and have never missed a payment. I told the adjustor I only wanted the roof evaluated and he said he 'had to inspect the whole exterior of all dwellings/outbuildings' and he 'wanted to pay me for the damages'. This is the reason why I'm annoyed that I feel like I'm trapped now with the mortgage lender to replace stuff that needs no repair to begin with. It's not like I'm taking the money and going to Hawaii. I'm taking the money and actually investing it in more critical areas of the house. Areas that will actually preserve the house and add value instead of feeling the need to 'change nail color polish'.
It's like I initially said..............I'm half tempted after I get the roof done to just give the balance back to State Farm and say 'Thanks, but no thanks' and save the headache.

Post a reply to: Home owners ins claim

The Latest