Holy crap....skiers....

jtomasik
Edited Date/Time 12/24/2013 7:25pm
....if you ski areas that get powder, crud, and bumps, and you've never tried rocker skis (like Rossi Super 7's), go demo some. Just really got back into skiing this year, and tried my first pair of rockers (those Rossi's). Yeah, I know....but better late than never. Anyway, they're like the difference between a 70's bike and one from today. It's almost like fuggin' cheating.
|
12/22/2013 8:07am
I'll see if I can rent some. T-minus 4 days until my skiing trip. How are they different than the normal ones? I started skiing last year and wish I would have discovered it a long time ago.
Choppy
12/22/2013 8:22am
I'll see if I can rent some. T-minus 4 days until my skiing trip. How are they different than the normal ones? I started skiing last...
I'll see if I can rent some. T-minus 4 days until my skiing trip. How are they different than the normal ones? I started skiing last year and wish I would have discovered it a long time ago.
Ask if you can demo some of them.
Most ski shops around here will allow it, and you'll love them.
jtomasik
12/22/2013 9:01am
It's just a completely different approach to attacking a hill. These things soak up bumps and slamming into crud a ton better than normal skis. Like I said, think of it of a 70's bike and a 2013 machine. With the 70's bike, you'll pick lines because you won't attempt to hit some obstacles....with the new bike, you have new lines because the suspension can handle it. For bump slopes I'd ski with a more normal selective line approach, with these I was sometimes just hanging big carver turns and jumping over stuff. Knee deep powder was just more fun, in general. The steeper slopes became much less a challenge.

Demo a good pair if you can. The Soul 7's are fantastic....just one of likely many.
three9zero
12/22/2013 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2013 5:47pm
Got myself some K2 Obsethed for the deep days(they are 2012's) They have the regular camber and sidecut under-foot and then rocker'd out on the nose and tail. We are going to visit my sister tomorrow in Rossland B.C and will be skiing @ Red Mountain till New Years.

http://www.redresort.com/

The Shop

three9zero
12/22/2013 5:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/22/2013 5:32pm
I'll see if I can rent some. T-minus 4 days until my skiing trip. How are they different than the normal ones? I started skiing last...
Most of the new skis are very different than a traditional ski design. The "new school" type feature a regular camber under the foot with a bit of side cut to make them work(carve a turn) on the groomers and hard snow, then toward the tip and tail of the ski they build some rocker(like a wake board or surf board) to help the ski get up ontop of the snow and "plane" rather than "plow" in the pow.....The freeskiing revolution has made skiing "cool" again, and guys/gals can tear the pow a new asshole and "surf" the deep snow like a snowboarder can, I can actually lean forward in the deep snow, giving me the abilty to drive the ski into a turn, rather than having to lean back(ski in the back seat) to gain floatation with and older ski design......I just started skiing again after snowboarding for 20 years and I'm loving it......
If this does not get you pumped to ski, nothing will.
P.S, British Columbia Rules.
https://youtu.be/NYvM6j56IBk
Tim507
12/22/2013 5:42pm
Just more surface area thus more floatation. Require a wider stance............
jtomasik
12/22/2013 5:52pm
390, good point about being able to lean forward to attack the hill in deep powder with these skis. I could get after the steepest deep I could find and push forward against my boots to force an even sharper turn in the deep powder without stalling or burying the ski.

The other thing I found really trick was how quick the skis could turn in any crud or boot-deep powder. I'd get into the woods after leaving the bowl, and there would be very tight sections of bumps with small trees. The skis would turn as quick as I could think about it. I got easily through sections of trees I wouldn't even think about entering into before. They simply inspire confidence.

I'm trying a couple other on Tuesday, but after talking to the guys at the shop, it sounds like the Rossi is about the best all-around. Still gonna try them.
three9zero
12/23/2013 8:02am
Tim507 wrote:
Just more surface area thus more floatation. Require a wider stance............
Sounds like you have not tried a set yet....... We are not talking about "fat skis", thats 1998....Skiing have evolved since then.
three9zero
12/23/2013 8:07am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2013 8:12am
jtomasik wrote:
390, good point about being able to lean forward to attack the hill in deep powder with these skis. I could get after the steepest deep...
390, good point about being able to lean forward to attack the hill in deep powder with these skis. I could get after the steepest deep I could find and push forward against my boots to force an even sharper turn in the deep powder without stalling or burying the ski.

The other thing I found really trick was how quick the skis could turn in any crud or boot-deep powder. I'd get into the woods after leaving the bowl, and there would be very tight sections of bumps with small trees. The skis would turn as quick as I could think about it. I got easily through sections of trees I wouldn't even think about entering into before. They simply inspire confidence.

I'm trying a couple other on Tuesday, but after talking to the guys at the shop, it sounds like the Rossi is about the best all-around. Still gonna try them.
Look into these man....They will be in my quiver next year, they are even hand made in your state. They are made by Never Summer. The have a unique "dampened" feel to them the just crushes the terrain. The nail in to coffin on these is they have p=tex side wall that are industrable and feature a insane p-tex 4000 base with a killer basegrind finish(very fast ski on the flats. Also they are not made un China like my fucking K2's.
http://www.icelanticskis.com/ski_detail.cfm?ProductID=144
Barrett57
12/23/2013 10:07am
three9zero wrote:
Got myself some K2 Obsethed for the deep days(they are 2012's) They have the regular camber and sidecut under-foot and then rocker'd out on the nose...
Got myself some K2 Obsethed for the deep days(they are 2012's) They have the regular camber and sidecut under-foot and then rocker'd out on the nose and tail. We are going to visit my sister tomorrow in Rossland B.C and will be skiing @ Red Mountain till New Years.

http://www.redresort.com/

I'd kill to ride Red, heard nothing but good things about it.
Foghorn
12/23/2013 5:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2013 5:23pm
Some awesome skiing around here. Lake Louise, Sunshine, Norquay, Nakiska, Fernie, Revelstoke. Gotta love the Rockies.
jtomasik
12/23/2013 5:33pm
three9zero wrote:
Look into these man....They will be in my quiver next year, they are even hand made in your state. They are made by Never Summer. The...
Look into these man....They will be in my quiver next year, they are even hand made in your state. They are made by Never Summer. The have a unique "dampened" feel to them the just crushes the terrain. The nail in to coffin on these is they have p=tex side wall that are industrable and feature a insane p-tex 4000 base with a killer basegrind finish(very fast ski on the flats. Also they are not made un China like my fucking K2's.
http://www.icelanticskis.com/ski_detail.cfm?ProductID=144
LOL funny you say that. I have my next two demos sitting in my garage now, ready to go for tomorrow. One of them is the K2 Shreditor. By the looks of it, I'm not sure I'll like it. Looks too wide underfoot....much more the powder ski and less forgiving. I guess I'll see. The other are the DPS Wailer 99, which seems to look the other side of the spectrum. Much narrower underfoot. Curious how their layup with bamboo will respond. I still have two more demos. Was thinking of trying one more pair and taking the Rossi's out again. I'll ask if they have the Icelantics. Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Barrett57
12/24/2013 2:19pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2013 2:20pm
Foghorn wrote:
Some awesome skiing around here. Lake Louise, Sunshine, Norquay, Nakiska, Fernie, Revelstoke. Gotta love the Rockies.
Definitely, the Alps are pretty cool, (Chamonix in particular is an absolutely incredible place) but the Rockys beat it.

A day cat skiing at Fortress after it had been dumping all night remains one of the best days of my life, just crazy.
jtomasik
12/24/2013 7:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/24/2013 8:36pm
I didn't care for the DPS's. They didn't float very well, and although they were narrower than the bigger rockers, they weren't quick to turn. And, they were extremely slow. I couldn't find anything positive about them over my old Bandit B2's.

The K2's surprised me. They're a very big, heavy, stiff ski. I thought for sure they'd be sluggish and harsh. But, to the contrary, they're very quick. I took them into some steep trees and some tight moguls, and they were very nimble and controllable. I think they might be a bit harsher than the Rossi 7's, as I found myself skiing them with more precision and less of the straight-ahead approach I took with the Rossi's. They floated very well, but I didn't get a chance to try them in some bottomless powder like I did the Rossi 7's. I have two more demos left, so I think I'll take them both on the same day and try them head-to-head.

Post a reply to: Holy crap....skiers....

The Latest