Hercules tires

borg
7/5/2015 7:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2015 7:52pm
They were advertized as 50,000 miles. I have 46,000 on them now. Could probably squeeze out a few more. This is the first time I rotated every 5k. I'll probably get another set. I'll keep my eye out for a sale.
|
XXVoid MainXX
7/5/2015 9:54pm
I get 80,000 out of my Generals on my F-150. It came new with Generals and at 80,000 I put another set on because the first set lasted so long. I just put another new set on at 160,000.
borg
7/6/2015 6:30am
I get 80,000 out of my Generals on my F-150. It came new with Generals and at 80,000 I put another set on because the first...
I get 80,000 out of my Generals on my F-150. It came new with Generals and at 80,000 I put another set on because the first set lasted so long. I just put another new set on at 160,000.
Holy shit! 80,000? I may have to look at those. I wish I had been paying attention when my first set wore out. Maybe I still have the paperwork.

What model were they?
Sandberm
7/6/2015 8:51am
I get 80,000 out of my Generals on my F-150. It came new with Generals and at 80,000 I put another set on because the first...
I had some of those on my s-10 (I think they were Generals, bought them at Les Schwab), got 40,000 miles and the last 5-7 thousand they started vibrating badly.

In the past year I put Cooper Discoverer on the f-250 and the wifes Pathfinder ( I thought I would support the sport and got them at Discount Tire). They're quiet, I like em so far.
newmann
7/6/2015 8:59am
I've been a Cooper Tires customer for the past 8 years I guess. Had really good luck with them and ended up with them on all of our vehicles but the last set I bought for my F250 had skyrocketed in price. Void needs to cough up some more details on his Generals.

The Shop

DownSouth
7/6/2015 5:20pm Edited Date/Time 7/6/2015 5:29pm
I have a set of BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail TA's on my Ford Ranger that are at 83,000 miles and counting with some life left in them yet.

They have lasted a long time due to my mistake. I bought them at Sam's club and mistakenly grabbed 'Load Range E' tires off the rack for them to mount. Load range E are overkill for a truck that size but they sure have lasted a long time.

borg
7/7/2015 8:22am
It must really depend on conditions and driving style. I checked on the wear ratings of the tires in this thread here and they are very similar. Herc-520, Gen- 500, BF-580. These are all pretty high ratings but the rating system is somewhat suspect because each manufacturer tests it's own tires and issues it's own grade. I drive about 85% local and 15% highway. I am guessing that local driving is much harder on tread wear.
71Fish
7/7/2015 10:36am
I just put General tires on my wife's Santa Fe. Only 1,000 miles so far so way too soon to talk about wear rate. They ride a lot better than the Big-O tires that were on it. I didn't even like those tires when they were new.

When my Impreza needs new tires next year I will install General tires.
XXVoid MainXX
7/7/2015 11:25am
Of course you might want to take what I say about the Generals with a grain of salt. My truck had a bit of a shimmy ever since I bought it brand new and to me it always felt like a tire issue, but as I said, this is the 3rd set of these Generals I have installed and have always had the shimmy. I did a little research and it seems the F150 (especially the 2004 that I have) has a shimmy that can be caused by a few different things. The truck itself seems to be more susceptible to it. It's funny that I am about to head out to Colorado on Friday and the shimmy has been worse than usual so I took it into the dealer to have them look at it but while I was there I saw the new trucks and thought how great it would be to drive a new truck to Colorado instead of the old one... that shimmys. Smile So, I'll be picking up my new truck this afternoon and I'm not sure if I'll even find out the cause of the shimmy, unless I can get info about it out of the sales guy selling me the truck after they figure it out.
SEE ARE125
7/7/2015 12:01pm
borg wrote:
It must really depend on conditions and driving style. I checked on the wear ratings of the tires in this thread [url=http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Shoppers/Tires+Rating]here[/url] and they are very...
It must really depend on conditions and driving style. I checked on the wear ratings of the tires in this thread here and they are very similar. Herc-520, Gen- 500, BF-580. These are all pretty high ratings but the rating system is somewhat suspect because each manufacturer tests it's own tires and issues it's own grade. I drive about 85% local and 15% highway. I am guessing that local driving is much harder on tread wear.
I used to sell and install tires at a garage/towing place I worked at when I was younger. The biggest things are staying on top of your air pressure, timely rotations, keeping alignment in check, and personal driving habits(avoiding hard acceleration/braking). When tire dealers say "This is a 50k mile tire" it basically means it has a 50k mile warranty against manufacturer defects. Manufacturers want you to believe that's how many miles you will get before needing a new set, and some even have a "treadwear warranty", but good luck getting them to honor it. They will find one of the above reasons for voiding the warranty(driving habits, air pressure, rotations, etc). For treadwear look on the sidewall, it will say "Treadwear" then have a number from 100-700, with 700 being the best. Then it will have "Traction" with either C, B, A, or AA. AA is the best traction rating. Then it will have a Temperature rating. Also, near the rim you will find DOT then a bunch of letters and numbers. The last 4 numbers are when the tire was made(week/year). So if it says 1215 it would have been made during the 12th week of 2015.
borg
7/7/2015 8:27pm
Pretty sweet Void. I may have 1 more in my future. Ford has some good trucks.
XXVoid MainXX
7/7/2015 8:45pm
Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting a new truck but when I pulled mine up in the maintenance spot waiting to get it looked at for my Colorado trip I couldn't help but think how sad it looked next to all those new trucks and that I couldn't really live with myself if I had to haul my new bike to Colorado in my old truck. Plus it's my wife's birthday today (big 5-0) so I had to get myself something nice. Smile
borg
7/8/2015 7:18am
Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting a new truck but when I pulled mine up in the maintenance spot waiting to get it looked at for...
Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting a new truck but when I pulled mine up in the maintenance spot waiting to get it looked at for my Colorado trip I couldn't help but think how sad it looked next to all those new trucks and that I couldn't really live with myself if I had to haul my new bike to Colorado in my old truck. Plus it's my wife's birthday today (big 5-0) so I had to get myself something nice. Smile
I used to buy cordless drills and stuff like that for my wife on her birthday. Could have something to do with me being single now.
Cygnus
7/8/2015 12:57pm
Coming to trail ride void? How long ya gonna be out here?
XXVoid MainXX
7/8/2015 7:44pm
Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting a new truck but when I pulled mine up in the maintenance spot waiting to get it looked at for...
borg wrote:
I used to buy cordless drills and stuff like that for my wife on her birthday. Could have something to do with me being single now.
Smile I mean Sad I mean Smile I mean Sad
XXVoid MainXX
7/8/2015 7:49pm
Cygnus wrote:
Coming to trail ride void? How long ya gonna be out here?
I'm leaving here Friday morning, staying over night in Burlington and then heading the rest of the way to Gunnison Saturday morning. Going to be riding asphalt trails all week, then on the way back home stop in Tulsa and race next Saturday and Sunday on the same bike I am riding around Colorado (have to switch all the fairings and tires out the last day in CO. Looks like you're not that far off our trail on the way out. A buddy is riding out with me but I will be driving back by myself since I am stopping in Tulsa. He's going to fly back from Gunnison. About 18 other of my buddies are coming out to ride their dirt bikes on the same trip. Me and my buddy are just trying something different this year on the street bikes.
XXVoid MainXX
7/8/2015 7:52pm
Oh, and I noticed in my manual that you shouldn't tow anything behind the truck for the first 1000 miles. I'll just claim I misread it and say I thought it said I was supposed to tow a trailer behind it for the first 1000 miles. Smile

Post a reply to: Hercules tires

The Latest