Help Stopping Chewing

Has anyone been able to quit this stuff? Been dipping for about 23 years now, can a day. I switched to pouches about 10 years ago so probably not quite as bad, no burning or sore lips. No shit in teeth either. I've been thinking it's tome to quit though, $5.00 a day equals $35.00 a week and $140.00 a month and $14280.00 per year. I brush my teeth twice a day and gargle with listerene, so that helps with oral hygiene. Haven't made it a full day without in ages.
|
71Fish
10/17/2016 8:37pm
I dipped Copenhagen for about 18 years. Really I just got tired of it to be honest. For about my last 5 years every can I bought was to be my last. Of course it wasn't. I finally made a New Years resolution to quit in 2002. That has been the only resolution I've ever kept. Haven't touched it since and just the thought of it makes me sick.

I know none of what I said is advice to help you quit, but hopefully you see it can be done. You just have to be ready. Good luck.
Hut
10/17/2016 8:52pm Edited Date/Time 10/17/2016 8:55pm
I quit one year and eight months ago after heavy Copenhagen snuff use for over 30 years. Honestly I ate the stuff never spit it out just added more. I was having a constant sore throat and figured it was time to quit, so I did. Not easy but once I made my mind up I stuck to it. I was a total wreck for 5 weeks or so forgot my name, a real slobbering mess for awhile. I still suffered withdrawals for about a year after quitting. I had an upper endoscopy done and other tests for my throat. they removed some polyps and diagnosed me with something or other esophagus. Long story short no cancer and I am doing better now but still crave the Snoose.

You can do it.
brlatm
10/17/2016 8:57pm
I've quit for the 3rd time now for about 13 months. I have quit on previous occasions for 2.5 years and then about 15 months. I was like Hut and chewed for about 28 years since I was a kid helping my uncles work cows.

My damn weakness was getting around all my friends and family when I had a cold beer in my hand. Yep that is my crutch.

Best of luck to you, I honestly have only wanted to chew about 3-4 times in the last year. I just woke up one morning and decided that I didn't want it anymore.
SEE ARE125
10/17/2016 9:20pm
I haven't quit(yet), but I've tried a couple times. My dentist did give me some free samples of stuff to help, it's called BaccOff and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't exactly Copenhagen either. Might not help with the cost, but a healthier alternative.

The Shop

Hut
10/17/2016 9:22pm
Here was a reply I made on fb on day 17 Laughing I was a looney mess;
"Believe me I don't want to quit Copenhagen. Copenhagen is just about the best tasting thing there is. I love the smell, the taste, the way it calms me down pretty much everything about it I like except the health concerns. I don't even mind paying 7 bucks a can (it's that good!) But waking everyday with a sick stomach isn't fun and worrying about my lips falling off from cancer someday is unsettling.
February 5, 2015"
10/18/2016 5:41am
Thanx for the advice from all of you. I think it just takes a commitment, plain and simple. Gonna give it a go today. Might go cold turkey, might try a gradual drop in use, we'll see how it goes. I remember some advice from someone who stopped smoking: "When you can walk around with a brand new pack in your back pocket for a week unopened, that's when you know you quit". Gonna have to just power through it.
JW381
10/18/2016 5:47am
There's an antidepressant that is prescribed to help fight nicotine addiction. It's called wellbutrin. If you feel like that drastic of a step is necessary, ask your doc.
SEE ARE125
10/18/2016 5:54am
Almost forgot about how my wife quit smoking. She would get a pack of cigarettes, pull one out to smoke then throw the rest pack away. If she wanted another she had to go buy another pack. Having to go to the store each time she wanted a smoke became a real pain in the ass, which helped her quit. Might try that with dipping, get a pinch then throw the can away. It'll be expensive as hell at first though. lol Surprisingly it worked.
MR. X
10/18/2016 6:31am

Hut
10/18/2016 7:11am
I say make up your mind, man up and quit!
All that gum and crap will just prolong the pain
JRT812
10/18/2016 9:07am
Like others have stated it's a mindset. Jakes mint chew helped me get through the first few months. No where close to the real thing but it did honestly help when the cravings were the strongest. It has a 6 month shelf life and is organic.
TXDirt
10/18/2016 9:47am Edited Date/Time 10/18/2016 9:48am
I used some of this at first. You can find it at Walmart, most grocery stores and some gas stations.

http://www.smokeysnuff.com/

Really helped. I sometimes still get a craving for a dip and will buy a can of Smokey Mtn maybe once a year.

Alternatively, I also found it helped to put a piece of Nicoret right where I would normally keep a chew. You can feel the Nicotine seep in and wash over the brain just like you would get with a dip of cope. Instead of putting in cope just put a piece of nicorete there. It takes the edge off considerably.

You really have two addictions to break. The addiction to the nicotine as well as an addiction to the process or association of dipping. You will have a much better chance of kicking the habit completely if you can successfully beat atleast one of these controls.

IWreckALot
10/18/2016 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/18/2016 1:26pm
This product was on Shark Tank. Might see if it helps with the void left by the dip being in your mouth. It's a coffee based dip with no tobacco.
10/18/2016 1:50pm
Well i'm at day 7 of stopping smoking, honestly i do not now anything about dipping but i assume it's the same addiction in a certain form. I came here for help and got some very good advice and i found support on here and that is probably the best thing i have done.
Talking about it and getting support has really really helped me the most of all.
Although i don't know anyone on here in person it annoyed me so much to bring bad news the first few days i felt like i was not only disappointing myself but my friends as well.

I tried the semi cold turkey way, had decided to buy the last pack and tried to stop cold turkey and smoked when i could not help myself so first days i still smoked but a lot less than before from day 3 i threw the rest of them away and decided it was time to do it .

I cant thank all these guys enough as they have been real supportive. and coming here for help was the best desiccion i made.

I hope you will find the same support and companionship here that i found and i wish you the best off luck staying away from the dip
10/18/2016 5:21pm
^^^^^ Thanks Bro!! Whatever you do NOT think for a second that switching to chew is better than cigs or will help you stop smoking. They both suck, cost too much and are especially socially unattractive. I Iike how you don't use the word "quit". I prefer "I no longer indulge".
10/18/2016 5:26pm
Some of the non-tobacco alternatives look interesting and I'm probably gonna give 'em a try if I begin to freak out.
10/18/2016 5:56pm
What you said "Socialy unattractive", You hit that nail so hard on the head .
We got a visitor today that came and bought a old cell phone we sold, this person was a smoker and you could not believe the smell he had, he literally smelled like an ashtray he was in the house for about 5 minutes, more than a half hour later the house still smelled. I cant believe i have smoked for 12 years and what people where thinking of me when i entered there house.

I'm so happy to finally realise this was wrong and that i'm going to be able to set a good example for my kids
vetmxr
10/18/2016 7:05pm
My doctor told me to stop chewing about 3 months ago.....pissed me off because i had just bought a new can.....I threw it out the window in the parking lot and havent touched a pinch since......I will admit that I do think about it once in a while....like when I drive long distances or golf.....It helps that I don't seem to have an addictive personality though.
10/21/2016 5:57am Edited Date/Time 10/21/2016 5:58am
How did your days been so far Sir Roostsalot? We haven't heard of you since a few days and i hope you have been able to stay away from the dip.
Good luck and stay strong
Hut
10/21/2016 6:55am
Yea I hope you are holding strong Bro! Give us updates and we can encourage you or give ridicule as needed! Tongue
Good luck
10/21/2016 1:47pm
MR. X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/18/156216/s1200_2016_10_18_09_30_32_683544595.jpg[/img]

I'm trying to quit this stuff! Don't be tempting me with a good time!
10/21/2016 2:04pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
How did your days been so far Sir Roostsalot? We haven't heard of you since a few days and i hope you have been able to...
How did your days been so far Sir Roostsalot? We haven't heard of you since a few days and i hope you have been able to stay away from the dip.
Good luck and stay strong
I decided to do the gradual reduction approach. Here is what I did:

WEEK 1: No dipping before 12:00 noon, and only two pouches instead of three at once.

WEEK 2: No dipping before 6:00 p.m. , only two pouches instead of three, max dip time one hour

WEEK 3: No dipping before 8:00 p.m., only one pouch instead of two, max dip time 1/2 hour

Still on week one, 5 days in and i'm already bumped up to week 2 schedule, amazing how much better I feel, that stuff can really sap your energy and make you feel like your dragging ass. The hardest part I think is gonna be after a moto session or MTB ride. That seems to be the time I crave it most, after physical exertion, almost like a "reward".

Thanks again!
ocscottie
10/21/2016 2:12pm
MR. X wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/10/18/156216/s1200_2016_10_18_09_30_32_683544595.jpg[/img]

hahaha that made me laugh so hard i about puked. LaughingLaughingLaughing
ocscottie
10/21/2016 2:14pm
I decided to do the gradual reduction approach. Here is what I did: WEEK 1: No dipping before 12:00 noon, and only two pouches instead of...
I decided to do the gradual reduction approach. Here is what I did:

WEEK 1: No dipping before 12:00 noon, and only two pouches instead of three at once.

WEEK 2: No dipping before 6:00 p.m. , only two pouches instead of three, max dip time one hour

WEEK 3: No dipping before 8:00 p.m., only one pouch instead of two, max dip time 1/2 hour

Still on week one, 5 days in and i'm already bumped up to week 2 schedule, amazing how much better I feel, that stuff can really sap your energy and make you feel like your dragging ass. The hardest part I think is gonna be after a moto session or MTB ride. That seems to be the time I crave it most, after physical exertion, almost like a "reward".

Thanks again!
Good job man, sooner the better! Google "effects of chewing tobacco" and go to pictures. You will stop, today.
Electro21
Fantasy
79th
11/3/2016 5:31am
I quit 7 years ago when my first daughter was born. I used a combination of Nicorrette lozenges and patches (just not at the same time). Both of those worked really well for me. I chewed at least a can a day of long cut Copenhagen. You may have to hold off on booze for a bit too. Booze always makes you crave some nicotine.
11/3/2016 6:09am Edited Date/Time 11/3/2016 6:13am
I take care of radical neck dissections from oral and throats cancers in a surgical icu:

This is how they look. (NOT an actual patient of mine) I see atleast 5-7 a month. They're very devastating to the patients. Because usually your tongue gets dissected, your face is swollen like a balloon and they have to give you a tracheostomy until the swelling goes down to maintain your airway:

This is a fresh post operative neck dissected pt:

I'll never forget this one guy I took care of. He couldn't speak because of the tracheostomy. Super nice guy. He asked me (wrote on paper) to show him a mirror. So I did. And he wrote to me: "if I would of known I was going to look like this I would of just died."

You'll never speak right again. Or look right. You can quit. Quit now.

11/3/2016 5:37pm
Moens_Andy wrote:
How are you holding up Sir Roostsalot?
Doing well, thanx for asking. I'm into week 3 on my gradual reduction program (see prior post). Been a few days dip free too. Work has been slow lately so it's been a grind to stay on the program, more idle time than I'd like. How's your "decision to no longer indulge in cigarettes going?

Post a reply to: Help Stopping Chewing

The Latest