Health insurance premiums

Titan1
Edited Date/Time 11/21/2015 3:24pm
What is everyone's health insurance premiums doing this year?

My premium jumped $1620/year...that is a 16% increase. Highest I've ever seen (without an age related jump).

I've got my own personal plan through Select Health (I make to much money for Obamacare tax credits, and all the policies through the exchange were way to expensive, with way to little coverage). I have four kids and my wife and I, $1K deductible and 80/20 coverage. I'm paying $780/month right now. (I was paying $645/month last year).
|
G-man
11/18/2015 10:16am
I WAS paying $ 370 a month just for ME with a $5000 DEDUCTIBLE! Evil

Health net bronze plan and they just told me they no longer offer that plan something comparable is now going to cost me $130 more a month!

bunch of bullshit I'm in the process of looking for something else this sucks!

11/18/2015 10:25am
Mine went way down. I was paying through my company $485/mo for high deductible family plan, now it's $185/mo.
We merged with another company and our employee base tripled. As a result, our group rates dropped quite a bit.
My health plan rates have gone up annually EVERY year in my working adult life. This is the first time they've been reduced.
Titan1
11/18/2015 10:30am
G-man wrote:
I WAS paying $ 370 a month just for ME with a $5000 DEDUCTIBLE! :evil: Health net bronze plan and they just told me they no...
I WAS paying $ 370 a month just for ME with a $5000 DEDUCTIBLE! Evil

Health net bronze plan and they just told me they no longer offer that plan something comparable is now going to cost me $130 more a month!

bunch of bullshit I'm in the process of looking for something else this sucks!

You're an old man though...lol I'm only 36.

The Shop

71Fish
11/18/2015 10:46am
I'm retired military so you don't want to see what I pay, but what do you all do about dental insurance?
I just got rid of my Delta Dental for Retirees because it didn't cover anything. I have GEHA now for $62 per month for me and my wife.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
11/18/2015 10:59am
I just had my employer meeting about insurance. The 3rd-party seminar lady was happy to report the "good" news that our premiums only went up a little bit for the same coverage.

How again is that good news????
11/18/2015 11:09am
newmann wrote:
Thanks Obama!
It will continually go up until we see a single payer system.

Then you'll see a dive bomb in quality care.

Many democrat policoes is trashing this country.
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
11/18/2015 11:16am
The healthcare company I work for was on track for a 28% increase across the board, but today got an email from the HR Director that the increase will not happen anymore. Apparently our Employee Association has previous agreements that made it so they couldn't increase it this year. So I am going to predict a 35+% increase for 2017 to make up for lost ground.
Sandberm
11/18/2015 11:51am
I pay $495 for my wife an I and its going up ro $532. Thats a roughly 7% increase.

Bronze plan, $5000 deductible, no dental...and some other voodoo math I wont understand till I need it.

We do have an hsa plan. So any money I put in the hsa I dont pay tax on.

motogrady
11/18/2015 12:02pm

I just turned 60.
Working for a small shop, maybe 40 guys.
Highmark, I'm told its a Cadallic plan with a 500 dollar deductible .
Last year, 435.00 a month, employer pays half.
Separate dental , 39.00 a month.
Because I hit 60, this year it's 941.00 a month, employer pays half.
Dental stays the same.
Plus, some kind of Medicare payment on top of that, I think another 80.00 a month.

Affordable Care Act, yeah, right.
I saw on TV the guy that owns Highmark has like 4 mansions, and all the top tier guys pull at least 1 million a year.
Titan1
11/18/2015 12:08pm
71Fish wrote:
I'm retired military so you don't want to see what I pay, but what do you all do about dental insurance? I just got rid of...
I'm retired military so you don't want to see what I pay, but what do you all do about dental insurance?
I just got rid of my Delta Dental for Retirees because it didn't cover anything. I have GEHA now for $62 per month for me and my wife.
I pay another $110/month for Dental...and its pretty crappy coverage. But it covers two exams/cleanings a year for my entire family...then we pay a percentage of the rest (fillings, crowns, root canals, etc.) I just make sure my kids brush their darn teeth twice a day.
Titan1
11/18/2015 12:10pm
newmann wrote:
Thanks Obama!
It will continually go up until we see a single payer system. Then you'll see a dive bomb in quality care. Many democrat policoes is trashing...
It will continually go up until we see a single payer system.

Then you'll see a dive bomb in quality care.

Many democrat policoes is trashing this country.
That was exactly the plan from the beginning...pass a law that will eventually make premiums so expensive that nobody can afford them, then pass a single payer system through.

With Dental, I'm paying almost $900/month...that is INSANE!!!! it's as much as my house payment (and at least my mortgage interest is tax deductible).
Titan1
11/18/2015 12:14pm
I just looked on the exchange website, since there is open enrollment...and my same plan would cost me over $1000/month on there.

Just crazy.
11/18/2015 12:27pm
Do any of the Health Insurance Companies have their own Health Care Providers, would seem logical combining the two for max profits?
Titan1
11/18/2015 12:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2015 12:35pm
Do any of the Health Insurance Companies have their own Health Care Providers, would seem logical combining the two for max profits?
The problem with Obamacare is just that...health care and health insurance are two separate entities. And the government tried to control health care costs, by regulating health insurance (well that is what they said they were trying to do...what they really wanted to do was drive up health insurance costs so high that nobody could afford them, and then pass a single payer system).

Right now, I'm paying about 5% of my income to health insurance premiums (that doesn't include the out of pocket beyond what the insurance will cover for the actual care)...so maybe I'm paying 6% or 7% of my income to health insurance/care....how much would the feds raise my taxes to pay for a single payer system? Considering that the poorest Americans wouldn't pay anything at all...I would bet it would be more than 7%. (But I don't really know.)
Sandberm
11/18/2015 12:40pm
Did anybody else get a refund check from their insurer this year. I believe their profit margin can not exceed 20% so anything more then that they refund back.

I think I got a check for $123 or something this past summer for the 2014 season.
Sandberm
11/18/2015 12:44pm
I'll be at about 6 to 7% of my income going to premiums alone.
11/18/2015 12:48pm
I'm surprised it took Obama to do it, or are there regs against insurance companies having preferential providers?
indy_maico
11/18/2015 12:49pm
newmann wrote:
Thanks Obama!
Remember when premiums went down every year before Obama was elected president and the ACH came out?

Yeah, neither do I!
motogrady
11/18/2015 12:58pm

I tell you what's major fucked up.

I did a job for a lady last week, she's a receptionist for a medical clinic/doctor.

I was shocked with what she told me.

First, nobody gets any medical treatment unless you give them your social security number.
Even if you want to pay for that visit with cash.

Second, the insurance company tells the doctor pretty much what he can do, and the treatment he can give.
She told me about this diabetic patient she knows, sweet old lady, that needs like 2 pills a day to control her sugar.
The insurance company said, wait, she only needs 1pill a day, and that's what she gets now.
She can't go down to the pharmacy and just buy more, even if she had the coin, the doctor can't, under obamacare,
Prescribe any more than the insurance company says.

To me, that's a death squad.
Old lady, she ain't worth having around anymore,
Cut her dosage, even if the doctor says she needs it, and get her off the patient list.
Kill her, but gently, in a quiet kind of way.
Told me, that's the reality, that's what's going on.
Hut
11/18/2015 1:00pm
That really sounds like a made up story.
11/18/2015 1:02pm
motogrady wrote:
I tell you what's major fucked up. I did a job for a lady last week, she's a receptionist for a medical clinic/doctor. I was shocked...

I did a job for a lady last week, she's a receptionist for a medical clinic/doctor.

First, nobody gets any medical treatment unless you give them your social security number.

Second, the insurance company tells the doctor pretty much what he can do, and the treatment he can give.
She told me about this diabetic patient she knows, sweet old lady, that needs like 2 pills a day to control her sugar.
The insurance company said, wait, she only needs 1pill a day, and that's what she gets now.
She can't go down to the pharmacy and just buy more, even if she had the coin, the doctor can't, under obamacare,

Cut her dosage, even if the doctor says she needs it, and get her off the patient list.
Your shocked that insurance companies cut their costs to increase profits?
Sandberm
11/18/2015 1:11pm
motogrady wrote:
I tell you what's major fucked up. I did a job for a lady last week, she's a receptionist for a medical clinic/doctor. I was shocked...

Thats always been going on though. Before obamacare you had to get aprval before the insurer would pay. No less disturbing.
APLMAN99
11/18/2015 1:13pm
motogrady wrote:

I think there might be a bit of a disconnect between what you are being told and reality.

A doctor can prescribe anything legal. The insurance company can cover it or not, but they don't have the authority to dictate whether or not an individual doctor can prescribe.

I have two type 1 diabetics in my household and there have been a few things not covered by insurance that we've chosen to pay for out of pocket. Our insurance company couldn't keep the doctor from prescribing them, though.

We've also had issues about test strips, both brands and frequency of use and every time that an insurance company balked at something all it's taken has been the prescribing Doctor writing an explanation of why what he's prescribing is medically necessary. Pretty painless overall.
motogrady
11/18/2015 1:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/18/2015 2:19pm
Hey, I've know this woman for 20 years, I'm just telling you what she told me.
As of Oct 1 of this year, she said the new rules are just crazy, and cruel.

Just remember, you young bucks, when you go in there, and some woman sits you down, gets your social, and starts asking you a bunch of questions while she's typing it in on a computer, they're keeping tally.
They will tell you it's so the doctor can look at it and better his understanding of you, but watch, he won't even look at it.

You get to be too high maintance, it's soylent green time for you. But in a nice way.
IWreckALot
11/18/2015 2:42pm
Sandberm wrote:
I pay $495 for my wife an I and its going up ro $532. Thats a roughly 7% increase. Bronze plan, $5000 deductible, no dental...and some...
I pay $495 for my wife an I and its going up ro $532. Thats a roughly 7% increase.

Bronze plan, $5000 deductible, no dental...and some other voodoo math I wont understand till I need it.

We do have an hsa plan. So any money I put in the hsa I dont pay tax on.

An interesting little tidbit about those HSA's. Many people are using them as a backdoor retirement account similar to a Roth IRA. Since you're capped at how much you can contribute to your IRA, most people are maxing out their IRA, and you can use the money in your HSA to invest the same as you would an IRA. At least that's how my work is doing it.
Hut
11/18/2015 3:04pm
I wonder if Canada would like to trade us for Obamacare? How about trade us their system for our system prior to Obamacare?

Bring out the scoops! Woohoo
MR. X
11/18/2015 3:29pm
My old employer offered health insurance if we wanted it , i think it was 25 a week ,however ,insurance didn't pay anything until you paid 4000 out of pocket first , i opted to go on my wifes insurance because it was better coverage at about the same price , my new employer has incredible health insurance coverage so the government decided it was too good and decided to charge a Cadillac tax on anyone fortunate enough to be offered excellent health insurance. One way or another we'll have to pay more.

Post a reply to: Health insurance premiums

The Latest