He thought the book would stop the bullet

gabrielito
But surprisingly enough, it didn't

Pregnant woman fatally shoots boyfriend in YouTube stunt

A Minnesota woman killed her boyfriend Monday by shooting at a book he was holding over his chest, in a YouTube video stunt gone wrong. Monalisa Perez,19, was attempting to make a viral video with boyfriend Pedro Ruiz III, 22, to post to their YouTube account, according to a Norman County Sheriff’s Department arrest report.

Perez, who is seven months pregnant, called 911 on Monday evening, saying she had accidentally shot her boyfriend in the chest while they were making a video, according to the arrest report.

She has been charged with second degree manslaughter. CNN has not been able to reach the public defender assigned to Perez for comment.

“They were in love. They loved each other. It was just a prank gone wrong,” Ruiz’s aunt, Claudia Ruiz, told CNN affiliate KVLY. “It shouldn’t have happened like this. It shouldn’t have happened at all.” The couple had one child and were expecting their second together, his aunt told the news station.

He thought the book would stop the bullet

Perez told police that her boyfriend wanted to make a YouTube video of her shooting a book and had been talking about it for awhile. He held the book up to his chest and convinced Perez to shoot at him, believing the book would stop the bullet.

Perez told police that Pedro convinced her it was a safe stunt by showing her a different book he had previously shot where the bullet did not go all the way through, according to the arrest report. He set up two cameras to film the whole thing, hoping a video of the dangerous stunt would go viral.

She fired from about a foot away with a .50-caliber Desert Eagle handgun while he held the book to his chest. It did not stop the bullet, and paramedics on the scene said Ruiz died from a single gunshot wound to the chest.

They wanted more YouTube viewers

The couple wanted more YouTube viewers, his aunt told KVLY. “I don’t know why they thought the book was supposed to stop the bullet.”

The video of the fatal shooting is being treated as evidence and has not been posted, according to the criminal complaint. “Me and Pedro are probably going to shoot one of the most dangerous videos ever. HIS idea not MINE,” Perez tweeted Monday night, likely referring to the deadly stunt.
|
JRT812
6/29/2017 7:38am
Does the phrase "shit happens" fit here?
Spydee
6/29/2017 7:53am
I wonder if they'll throw the book at her.
JRT812
6/29/2017 8:20am
Spydee wrote:
haha very nice
TXDirt
6/29/2017 8:21am
I wonder if she's a book worm.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/29/2017 8:57am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 8:59am
Darwin award.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/29/2017 9:10am
A foot from the guy with a .50 cal. Desert Eagle. How fucking stupid do you have to be in order to think a book would stop the bullet from going through? I'll admit I don't know all that much about guns but I at least know that much.

Hopefully their other child wasn't present when it happened.
Ted722
6/29/2017 10:24am
Must have missed the training course.

lestat
6/29/2017 10:39am
Well they got what they wanted . They are famous now .
6/29/2017 10:46am
This is just plain sad. So many kids nowadays seem to rate their happiness by how many likes they get.
Wouldn't they want to test this first? To see if it worked, say, tape the book to a tree and test? damn.

Years ago we had a radio host pull a stunt where he shot a co-host wearing a bullet proof vest. Ended up breaking a couple of his ribs and bruised the shit out of the dude, but he's fine. He said afterwards it wasn't worth it. Said he couldn't catch his breath for 5 minutes it smashed him so hard. Pretty sure it wasn't a .50cal and less powerful.
JAFO92
6/29/2017 10:51am
Spydee wrote:
That is gonna leave a hole in that chapter of her life !
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/29/2017 11:40am Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 11:41am
EDIT: I decided not to make light of this event. RIP.
JRT812
6/29/2017 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 12:39pm
Falcon wrote:
EDIT: I decided not to make light of this event. RIP.
Good deal and everything has been covered from bookend to bookend.

AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
6/29/2017 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 2:12pm
So the scientific test book must have had more text in it than the one used in the video?
peelout
6/29/2017 2:43pm
wait...

her name was fucking Monalisa?

her parents should be in jail
KMC440
6/29/2017 3:07pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
A foot from the guy with a .50 cal. Desert Eagle. How fucking stupid do you have to be in order to think a book would...
A foot from the guy with a .50 cal. Desert Eagle. How fucking stupid do you have to be in order to think a book would stop the bullet from going through? I'll admit I don't know all that much about guns but I at least know that much.

Apparently their child was there and did witness it.

All for the "glory" of YouTube.

Unbelievably sad and ignorant. Thoughts and prayers for the child and unborn child to somehow have a normal life someday.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/29/2017 3:49pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
A foot from the guy with a .50 cal. Desert Eagle. How fucking stupid do you have to be in order to think a book would...

KMC440 wrote:
Apparently their child was there and did witness it. All for the "glory" of YouTube. Unbelievably sad and ignorant. Thoughts and prayers for the child and...
Apparently their child was there and did witness it.

All for the "glory" of YouTube.

Unbelievably sad and ignorant. Thoughts and prayers for the child and unborn child to somehow have a normal life someday.
Knowing the age of the parents I had a feeling the other child either witnessed it or was at least nearby and not left unsupervised.

Really sad that the child had to witness something like that. Hopefully she'll eventually be able to recover from this incident and be able to provide for her kids.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/29/2017 4:43pm Edited Date/Time 6/29/2017 4:44pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

I have to admit, I skimmed the details. Missed the Desert Eagle part! Wow!

I cant figure out how this is reality for someone. I mean, I jumped off the roof with an umbrella when I was a kid, but....

Much, much wtf.
6/29/2017 5:37pm
It's amazing what even a .22 will penetrate, but regardless it's unbelievable ignorant to be playing with any firearm in such a fashion. All that said, what's done is done. Very sad situation.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/29/2017 6:14pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

kzizok wrote:
I have to admit, I skimmed the details. Missed the Desert Eagle part! Wow! I cant figure out how this is reality for someone. I mean...
I have to admit, I skimmed the details. Missed the Desert Eagle part! Wow!

I cant figure out how this is reality for someone. I mean, I jumped off the roof with an umbrella when I was a kid, but....

Much, much wtf.
It would of been stupid even with the smallest caliber hand gun so I seriously don't know what crossed their minds when they thought a Desert Eagle would be a good choice. I think a pellet gun would of been OK and might have fooled enough people but it doesn't make much of a sound much less the sound of a .50 cal.

He told her that he shot a book before and that it stopped the bullet therefore it was OK to do the stunt. However it doesn't mention anything about if he told her what gun he previously used and how far away he was from the book when he shot it. It's all irrelevant really because you don't have to be Einstein in order to know 1. It's a bad idea and 2. At that range that book won't stop much.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
6/30/2017 11:16am
Obviously they didn't do their homework. A test firing would have shown them that wasn't a great idea.
Hudweiser9
6/30/2017 11:42am
Where did these two Rhodes Scholars even get a Desert Eagle anyway? Not like it is an everyday .25 cal Saturday Night special.....
CDswinehart
6/30/2017 12:23pm
Hmmm...is this a special kind of stupid or am I missing something here? Are these the effects popular culture is having on our society? Generational or isolated case?
markit
6/30/2017 8:35pm
They should have known that only works with a pocket bible.
Mr. G
7/1/2017 1:50am
GuyB wrote:
Obviously they didn't do their homework. A test firing would have shown them that wasn't a great idea.
That's what I was thinking. Pretty brazen not to at least test it once.
lestat
7/1/2017 8:16am
Hmmm...is this a special kind of stupid or am I missing something here? Are these the effects popular culture is having on our society? Generational or...
Hmmm...is this a special kind of stupid or am I missing something here? Are these the effects popular culture is having on our society? Generational or isolated case?
Merica .

Where ignorance of many things , is not just tolerated , but actually celebrated . Anti-intellectualism .

As you reap so shall you sow .

This post will probably disappear . Vital does its' part in dumbing every thing down .

So how bout dem bears ?
borg
7/1/2017 10:41am
Right. And painting 300 million people with the same brush is not ignorant.

What a turd.
Hut
7/1/2017 10:49am
GuyB wrote:
I am not going to make any jokes about it because all this crap just makes me feel sad. The asinine trend of making videos like this for attention is a disturbing sign of the times imho. That said, it seems too obvious to do a few test firings before hand to ensure safety. smdh

Post a reply to: He thought the book would stop the bullet

The Latest