Going to need new VPN

Niloz
Edited Date/Time 9/30/2014 6:02am
Just got an email yesterday that Norton is discontinuing Norton Hotspot Privacy. I've been living in the Philippines for the last three years and the Norton product has worked awesome for accessing my Netflix, Pandora and other websites/services that are region blocked here. Less than $50 per year for up to 5 devices, and worth every peso (penny). Has worked great on iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air and two PC's.

I'm going to be here about another 18 months before going home to Ohio and need a replacement product to get me through until I repatriate.

Any suggestions?
|
Niloz
9/29/2014 9:02pm
I'm pretty ignorant on how it works too. I use this one because when I sign on to it it makes any site i visit believe i am logging in from a server in the US (or the UK is another option on Norton, you can choose). I use it because when I try to sign into my US Netflix account from here in the Philippines I get their bullshit message that "Netflix hasn't come to your part of the world yet", same thing happens with Pandora.com and Promotocross.com when I want to watch the racing.

When connected through the VPN i have no issues.
IWreckALot
9/30/2014 5:06am
I know how VPN's work but I've never used a web based VPN like what you're doing. We use them all the time at work but we have the server on site and section off networks internally.

Might look in to some of these.

http://lifehacker.com/5935863/five-best-vpn-service-providers

Just reading the article, IPVanish or TorGuard might be appealing.
XXVoid MainXX
9/30/2014 6:02am Edited Date/Time 9/30/2014 6:10am
I assume the other end of his VPN ends on Norton's network so all of his INET traffic appears to come from Norton's part of the Network in the US. I set up a VPN between my house and my parents house so our home networks appear to be one network. I use OpenVPN for this (free/Free and open source). But that doesn't help you because what you really need is an endpoint in the US. I figured most people just use proxies rather than a VPN for this. Of course that mostly only works for http(s)/ftp, etc, where a VPN would work for any protocol. Of course you could hook into my VPN and route all your traffic through my INET connection but I don't want you using up my bandwidth.... unless the price was right. Smile Actually if I set you up though my house you would actually use more than double the bandwidth for anything you connect to on my INET connection than you would be if going direct (the INET traffic would come into my house unencrypted and back out of my house encrypted through the VPN tunnel back to you, both over the same physical connection).

Post a reply to: Going to need new VPN

The Latest