Full timing in RV?

Anyone full time in an RV?

I've always been intrigued by the idea, but I was hoping to get an idea of the costs associated with full timing.
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/30/2016 7:55pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2016 7:57pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Anyone full time in an RV? I've always been intrigued by the idea, but I was hoping to get an idea of the costs associated with...

I've always been intrigued by the idea, but I was hoping to get an idea of the costs associated with full timing.
This may sound odd at first, but I know a few nurses that do the full time RV thing. Beyond those that I know, there are quite a bit out there that share expenses and experiences. My point is, you might be able to get some good info from their stories.

Google search with related links
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
11/30/2016 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/30/2016 8:00pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
Anyone full time in an RV? I've always been intrigued by the idea, but I was hoping to get an idea of the costs associated with...

Duplicate
11/30/2016 8:31pm
I'm living full time in a 17ft camper. Its a slide out, so pretty roomy for its size. I'm living in it, while I build my dream house(cabin). Im kind of cheating though, because I also have a 60x40 shop on the property as well. If I didn't have a lady and a kid on the way, I'd probably just live out of it, and travel.

Hut
11/30/2016 9:13pm
Yes full time RVer. New 5th wheel for full timing $70k to $125k, new duallie $65k and up.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/30/2016 9:44pm
My parents did it for 10 years, Its not a cheap thing to do but they could move with the seasons. They started in a 5th wheel and then changed to a diesel pusher and towed a car 4 wheels down and liked it better than a 5th wheel and Pickup.
brlatm
12/1/2016 12:13am
Hut wrote:
Yes full time RVer. New 5th wheel for full timing $70k to $125k, new duallie $65k and up.
Next time for a truck go to Aberdeen, SD or Dave Smith in Idaho. It's worth the cheap plane flight. I only got my new one in Texas because they matched Aberdeen pricing. I'll play hard ball for a few grand and take the $300 plane flight.
Dtat720
12/1/2016 3:54am
I sold mine last fall. 42' Damon Ultrasport. My kids are a little older so they actually liked it. I kept it in a state park while home. When my unlce passed last year i had to slow way down on travel and work more so it got sold. Looking for a toy hauler or show hauler now.
newmann
12/1/2016 6:38am
I have several customers who have done the full time RV gig. One couple ended up managing the RV park where they were staying for a few years for additional income. Did the same thing when they relocated elsewhere.

Another sold his business and is obviously pretty well off in retirement. Has a near million dollar motorhome that had shitty halogen headlamps. Now that I installed him some focused beam xenon and led lamps all his friends at the RV parks are jealous as f$%k. His main concerns in life these days are Malbec wine and finding the best deal on high end Scotch. They recently sold their house here in town and put all their belongings in storage before heading out on the road for 6 months. Life is good in their world.
hillbilly
12/1/2016 6:52am
I was ready to teach how to set up a distributor with vacum advance and centrifugal advance to get total timing.

I've got a few up on blocks beside my barn I use as rooms,thru in a few barrels in the ground with a gravel discharge line for toilet. No permit needed.
huck
12/1/2016 7:05am
My wife currently went back to college and is living full time in our RV.

32' with 2 slides and 2 AC units.

Summer electric = $40-50 a month.
Cable/internet = $50 a month.
Spot at nicer/clean trailer park (including water/trash/sewer) = $175.00 a month.

I'm headed over there this weekend to get it ready for winter. I'll be adding underpinning with insulation board, and 'electric' water line that heats up when below freezing and building a box around the sewer line with a heat light that will come on at freezing. I figure I'll spend $200-$300 on this.

We won't use the propane heat unless it's really really cold, as I don't want her to run out of propane and not be able to have it changed out. I got a very nice electric heater for it...so that should warm it up pretty nicely.

Hut
12/1/2016 7:06am
brlatm wrote:
Next time for a truck go to Aberdeen, SD or Dave Smith in Idaho. It's worth the cheap plane flight. I only got my new one...
Next time for a truck go to Aberdeen, SD or Dave Smith in Idaho. It's worth the cheap plane flight. I only got my new one in Texas because they matched Aberdeen pricing. I'll play hard ball for a few grand and take the $300 plane flight.
I bought my Dodge at Dave Smith 10 years ago. Forgot my salesman's name, but good people. We bought our F350 at Don Adson Ford in Ronan Mt. they were also great, happy with that decision as well.
I'm still hem-hawing about a new '17 duallie.
I'm an Electrical worker/ traveler and still have 14 years til retirement so we will be buying at the very least one more before then maybe two.
ed921reyes
12/1/2016 8:52am
once i finish school this is definitely what i am going to do. rent out my house and hit the road.
peelout
12/1/2016 10:25am
this September i sold my house and did really well, then i moved into a motorhome in a 60' x 60' metal building. the weather has been cold as fuck lately, average 25 degrees. i have some space heaters set up and stay plenty warm.

i'm putting almost $2k per month on my student loan and another $500 per month into a growing savings fund. i figure by the time i buy another house i'll have over $50k to put down.

the GF even likes it because it's like we're camping lol

i'm getting tired of it though.
XXVoid MainXX
12/1/2016 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2016 3:43pm
A buddy of mine retired from the police force, sold his house and bought a motor home. He, his wife and two girls live in it full time. He's now doing photography 100% of the time for my street racing club and a few other motorcycle and car clubs. He travels from track to track during the season and they're heading for Texas right now for the winter. They also pull a jeep behind it so they have transportation. I work from home now 100% of the time now and I could just as easily work out of a motor home. Sounds very tempting.
Dtat720
12/1/2016 2:23pm
The rv market is almost at rock bottom but on the slow way up.. except for the elite coaches like prevost, etc. ive been looking to replace the one i sold. When i sold mine, a 2004 Damon, Freightliner chassis, Cat 330 pusher, it booked at $94k. It sat for 7 months at $85k and i finally took a cash offer as is for $62k as comps were selling in the low 50's in other parts of the country. Show haulers on the other hand.... thats what im looking for and they are still holding max value. Which sucks!
hillbilly
12/1/2016 4:02pm
ed921reyes wrote:
once i finish school this is definitely what i am going to do. rent out my house and hit the road.
Better hope the renters dont know you're out of state, my experience with renters made me to never try that again.

And it was people i trusted.
ed921reyes
12/1/2016 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/1/2016 4:47pm
hillbilly wrote:
Better hope the renters dont know you're out of state, my experience with renters made me to never try that again. And it was people i...
Better hope the renters dont know you're out of state, my experience with renters made me to never try that again.

yeah i know that renters can be a nightmare. seen alot of close friends get some house wrecked by renters
12/2/2016 8:04am
ed921reyes wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
Better hope the renters dont know you're out of state, my experience with renters made me to never try that again. And it was people i...

Ain't that the truth!

Post a reply to: Full timing in RV?

The Latest