Florida sites and sounds

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
Edited Date/Time 11/27/2014 7:29pm
I know some of you are from Florida or have spent a lot of time in Florida. I am visiting family in Melbourne Florida for Thanksgiving and then traveling across the state to Destin Florida to go to my sisters Air Force retirement party. It is a long drive but I have all the time in the world on my hands. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on places to stop and see, like anything interesting, gator parks, worlds largest yarn ball ect. Anybody know of something cool along the way?
Also fishing. I'm not going to have time to fish while in Melbourne, but I have fished Indian river and Cape Canaveral before. Actually, I caught a few plus 40" Red Drum right in front of the launch pad the last time I was here. I am going to have some time to do some fishing in Destin once I get there. Anyone have any advice on where and what to fish for? I have everything from bottom rigs and bass poles for the small biters to 3 (shark, cobia, red drum surf rods) in my arsenal. I missed my first year in 10 years of fishing on the Chesapeake bay of Virginia and Outer Banks NC this year. I'm dying for some salt water action. Please Help!
|
peelout
11/26/2014 10:28am
it's been about 10 years since i've been, but we started in Fort Lauderdale and played for a day then headed north to West Palm Beach, then clear up to Fort Saint Augustine and went to Castillo de San Marcos... that was an amazing adventure and experience. the history in the fort was amazing and the nearby colonial town was a very neat time too. we ended it up by heading to Disney World which was pretty cool as well.
11/26/2014 6:39pm
Silver Springs in Ocala. It's a tourist trap for bennies but still pretty interesting. Right off I-75 on your way to Destin. The most impressive things about Florida topography are actually underground as opposed to above ground.
FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
11/26/2014 7:13pm
I wish you the best of luck fishing. I wish I could help on locations to fish up there but I'm a 3rd generation south Florida guide so I don't get up there often but the fishing is amazing. They just had their huge annual fish rodeo up there and about every major species was accounted for so the variety is amazing. Get a guide there or lake Toho for some monster bass. Fantasy surf is pretty cool in Orlando. MTB everywhere.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
11/27/2014 10:37am
Ya know how you read something and you know exactly what the person means but the words imply something else? I just had the best little chuckle thinking, what will we ever do when the air force retires?
Laughing

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
11/27/2014 7:18pm
Throw a party, Just like it says LOL. Trust me, the sad truth is that neither my sister nor her husband wanted to retire. The air force is getting rid of people left and right. He had 28 years in and wanted to retire at 30 years. After being stationed at Langley AB in Virginia and being deployed for 6 years with 2 tours in Iraq, 1 in Qatar, 2 in Afghanistan, and one year in Korea they decided with his rank and job if they didn't transfer, they were never going to be together. So he transferred to Eglin AB in Florida and she was able to get transferred there as well only she would be 3 months behind. He got back from Korea and spent 2 weeks in Virginia then went to show up for duty at Eglin. When he showed up, the very first day, they said nice to meet you, your position has been eliminated, you are being forced to retire. After 6 years of being deployed, that is how they thank him. He was a dedicated, die hard officer. The kicker is that he was lacking 30 days of getting to retire on the pay scale of his newest rank. They were able to arbitrate it but still, he had to fight for it. My sister reenlisted for 2 more years, one month before their move to Florida. This would have made them retiring at the same time. After the way they treated him and how the whole thing went down, she was able to sign up for retirement as well. She will retire with 26 years of service. Not what they had planned but it looks like everything will work out.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
11/27/2014 7:29pm
Damn Flmxer, I wish you was near the Destin Fl area. I would hit you up for sure. I'm going to check it out when I get there. I'm a pretty good fisherman but I would like to find a hot spot for sure. It might be fun though finding out. I don't know much about Fl fishing so I am going to have to find a species I want to fish for, the bait to use and the spot to pick. lol Maybe it will be an adventure but I really do want to catch some fish. I haven't gotten to fish much this past year and next to MX, fishing is my thing. I would like to find something in the 20 - 40 lb class but I imagine I will end up catching some surf fish and putting out some shark poles for excitement. I will check on an inland charter or maybe even a boat rental. IDK. My sister lives in a community that has a pond that is fish for fun. So I imagine there might be some bass there I can mess around with. But I don't live by the ocean and I have bass at home, I want to get on some salt water stuff. I'm not keeping anything so I really don't want to fish for a bunch of surf nibblers (but I will). I'm hoping there might be a good place to fish for puppy drum and maybe some 28" plus red drum. I really don't know the area, there might not even be any there. IDK, wish me luck.

Post a reply to: Florida sites and sounds

The Latest