First streetbike for tall rider

nytsmaC
Edited Date/Time 6/13/2014 1:37pm
Looking to pick up a street bike to use around town and the occasional trip with my riding buds who don't ride moto anymore. I'm thinking an Aprilia Shiver, Moto Guzzi Griso or Tuono V4, any thoughts? I hate that at 6'6 most sporty bikes are cramped and Just look awkward with a tall rider aboard. At least my inseam is fairly normal at 35".

I'm leaning towards the Shiver right now, can get a new one for $8k but I wonder if it will be a fun bike to ride. The other two seem to have a lot more personality.

I have no intention of doing track days, just want a fun casual street bike that can somewhat keep up. My buddies are on naked sport bikes. If I weren't so tall I'd be all over the MV brutale 800.
|
PalerBlue
6/12/2014 2:44am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2014 2:54am
The street bike I lust over is the Apprilia Dorsoduro 750. 92hp v-twin. I first saw this in Italy and it was love at first sight. Especially love the ones with the Arrow end cans. Are these bikes available where you are?

Photos don't do them justice

Also I love everything about the Griso EXCEPT the bloody awful exhausts.
nytsmaC
6/12/2014 4:11am
The dorso is a cool bike but its 100 mile fuel range turned me off, the shiver isn't much better unfortunately.
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
6/12/2014 4:33am Edited Date/Time 6/12/2014 4:33am
Are you stuck on Euro-exotics?

My nephew has a Honda 919. I've ridden it a few times and it's a hoot. It would likely fit your frame well, and is a blast to ride.

It won't have the low-end torque of a twin, but does have that 250F-ish rev-out.

Compared to the Euros it's very pedestrian, but you can pick one up for likely less than half the price.

H
nytsmaC
6/12/2014 5:10am
No definitely not stuck on Euro, I'd consider any brand. I just listed those which were most appealing to me thus far. A buddy of mine has a 919, I'll have to check it out again. He's happy with it and it looks nice, I've had my eyes on the v-twins mostly.

The Shop

6/12/2014 6:18am
nytsmaC wrote:
The dorso is a cool bike but its 100 mile fuel range turned me off, the shiver isn't much better unfortunately.
My dad just picked up a 2007 Aprilia Tuono, and that is the most comfortable bike I have ridden at my height of 6'5. Not to mention the bike is absolutely amazing in every way, and beautiful
6/12/2014 6:24am
Here is the bike, and there's a little story that goes along with the picture. So this was the day after he bought the bike, I was just chilling in the house when my dad rushed in and said "Come to the garage quick, you have to see this!" I tried to ask what it was but he wouldn't tell me, he just kept telling me to go to the garage with him. So I proceeded to walk out to the garage with him, and when he opened the front garage door I was amazed. The Tuono was sitting in the middle of the garage and there was a perfect beam of light coming from the right side window. This light casted directly on the beautiful paintjob on the tank and it looked nothing short of magical. Keep in mind there were no other lights on in the garage, so this experience was epic. Not trying to hijack your thread, I just wanted to show you a picture of the bike, and tell the little side story that goes with it

Hman144
Fantasy
713th
6/12/2014 10:32am
I haven't been on one, but if I had $8K to drop on a new bike, I'd be giving this number a test drive:

2014 Yamaha FZ-09

Kapooya!

H
Titan1
6/12/2014 12:11pm
I'm 6'1" and fit nicely on the Triumph Speed Triple...with almost 1100 cc's it had all the performance, acceleration and speed I could ever want. And the low end grunt of that triple motor is addicting.

My only complaint was long rides, in full leathers, the knee pads made my knee caps numb from the constant pressure...but your knees will be bent on any sport(y) street bike, so that is unavoidable.

I have a buddy that is 6'2 or 3 and he has an FZ1 that he is more than comfortable on.

Post a reply to: First streetbike for tall rider

The Latest