First sous-vide steak

borg
Edited Date/Time 7/4/2017 8:35pm
It's on baby. Testing out on a nice New York.
Anybody else try this?
|
ns503
6/30/2017 4:59pm
I have no idea what you're talking about.
borg
6/30/2017 5:15pm
It would be easier if you google Sous-vide. But I will give it a try, Sous-Vide means under vacuum I think but it doesnt matter. What you are doing is cooking a steak, or anything at it's desired final temp. I'm using 130f. You put the steak in a sealed freezer bag and put in the pot. The Sous- vide device heats the water to your desired temp and holds it there. It takes about 2 hours for a small steak. Once it's done, you toss it in a skillet at about 600f to seer the outside.
The reason for doing it this way is to avoid under or overcooking the steak. It comes out uniform all the way through no matter how thick it is. If you set the timer for 2 hours and goes 4 hours, it doesn't matter. The bag holds in all the juices and you don't get the burnt outside and raw inside that can happen on thicker cuts.
ns503
6/30/2017 5:28pm
I've been on Google since my post.

Interesting. And now I am very hungry.

What are you using for a device?

The Shop

newmann
6/30/2017 6:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 6:42pm
In other words, he is boiling a perfectly good steak.Laughing Cook first, sear last.

Eventually, I will try it myself as I am in the market for a good vacuum sealer at the moment. By the way, your pics aren't showing up....

I also plan on dry aging a nice prime rib in the near future. Just trying to work up the courage to let a $120.00 piece of meat turn nasty looking for 30-40 days.
JRT812
6/30/2017 7:22pm
newmann wrote:
In other words, he is boiling a perfectly good steak.:laugh: Cook first, sear last. Eventually, I will try it myself as I am in the market...
In other words, he is boiling a perfectly good steak.Laughing Cook first, sear last.

Eventually, I will try it myself as I am in the market for a good vacuum sealer at the moment. By the way, your pics aren't showing up....

I also plan on dry aging a nice prime rib in the near future. Just trying to work up the courage to let a $120.00 piece of meat turn nasty looking for 30-40 days.
Do it... looks like something you would feed the dogs with, but best damn steak I've had. I won't do it every time due to the color of the meat, but my butcher suggested trying it and it was fabulous.
borg
6/30/2017 7:34pm Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 7:35pm
newmann wrote:
In other words, he is boiling a perfectly good steak.:laugh: Cook first, sear last. Eventually, I will try it myself as I am in the market...

That's exactly right. Cook first, Sear last.
I didn't post any pics just a link.
I did a 19 lb prime rib once. Did it on the gas grill with a rotisserie and a meat thermometer. 8 of us ate the whole goddam thing that evening. Good shit.
Anyway, I'm in the after glow right now. Will provide pics and commentary tomorrow. Gotta finish my beer and just float. It was good.
APLMAN99
6/30/2017 7:53pm
A buddy brought his set up over about 6 months ago. It was okay, but it wasn't as good as a grilled steak for me. The lobster and crab were fine, though.

He didn't sear the steaks after, so maybe that would be different, but as a rare steak kind of guy, I think it probably wouldn't suit me as well as someone who prefers medium.
ns503
7/1/2017 5:15am
newmann wrote:

Not boiling, at all.

Not that hot for one thing, and sealed in a bag for another.

Agree though that boiling stuff can wash the good out of it - best corn on the cob I've cooked is done right on the grill.

This gadget has my interest. Smile
ns503
7/1/2017 5:16am
APLMAN99 wrote:
A buddy brought his set up over about 6 months ago. It was okay, but it wasn't as good as a grilled steak for me. The...
A buddy brought his set up over about 6 months ago. It was okay, but it wasn't as good as a grilled steak for me. The lobster and crab were fine, though.

He didn't sear the steaks after, so maybe that would be different, but as a rare steak kind of guy, I think it probably wouldn't suit me as well as someone who prefers medium.
Seems to me searing is a pretty big thing to not do.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
7/1/2017 6:57am
Many folks use a propane torch to sear the outside of the steak after.
You need it for the flavor and color. Many things, when your eyes tell
you that it's not going to taste good because of appearance, your brain listens.
borg
7/1/2017 7:01am
Ok. My review.
The first thing I noticed after about 30 minutes was juice forming in the bag. I checked to make sure that water was not leaking in but I could not really confirm. It was a fair amount. (I poured some on my baked potato.) So the claim that it holds in the juices may not be entirely true.
It was probably done in about 1 1/2 hours but I left it in for almost 3 hours. The steak was only about 1" thick.
You can see in the picture that it came out medium rare. I was shooting for medium but like I said in the other post, time has little do do with that. It's temperature. You can also see that it's very evenly cooked all the way through. No gradations from over cooked to under cooked. That claim was certainly true. I seared the steak in a cast iron skillet and I think I didn't leave it long enough. Not quite a minute on each side. I would recommend to APLMAN that he rethink his conclusion. You can cook it as rare as you want with absolutely no fear of overcooking. In fact, I think this method suits a rare steak guy more that med or well.
Overall the steak was very good even though it was a little more rare than suits me. It was very tender and moist. The juice on the plate is from the steak.

From what I have read, quite a few upper end steak houses use this method for a variety of reasons. One being that that they will get the order right. Rare, med rare, medium and so on. The second thing is that the steak can be served within a few minutes of ordering because it's already cooked. It just needs to be seared.

I will continue to experiment. I know it's a tough job but I think can handle it.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
7/1/2017 7:11am
borg wrote:
Ok. My review. The first thing I noticed after about 30 minutes was juice forming in the bag. I checked to make sure that water was...
Ok. My review.
The first thing I noticed after about 30 minutes was juice forming in the bag. I checked to make sure that water was not leaking in but I could not really confirm. It was a fair amount. (I poured some on my baked potato.) So the claim that it holds in the juices may not be entirely true.
It was probably done in about 1 1/2 hours but I left it in for almost 3 hours. The steak was only about 1" thick.
You can see in the picture that it came out medium rare. I was shooting for medium but like I said in the other post, time has little do do with that. It's temperature. You can also see that it's very evenly cooked all the way through. No gradations from over cooked to under cooked. That claim was certainly true. I seared the steak in a cast iron skillet and I think I didn't leave it long enough. Not quite a minute on each side. I would recommend to APLMAN that he rethink his conclusion. You can cook it as rare as you want with absolutely no fear of overcooking. In fact, I think this method suits a rare steak guy more that med or well.
Overall the steak was very good even though it was a little more rare than suits me. It was very tender and moist. The juice on the plate is from the steak.

From what I have read, quite a few upper end steak houses use this method for a variety of reasons. One being that that they will get the order right. Rare, med rare, medium and so on. The second thing is that the steak can be served within a few minutes of ordering because it's already cooked. It just needs to be seared.

I will continue to experiment. I know it's a tough job but I think can handle it.
Are you doing this as novelty or do you believe this will be your new process?
I can't remember the last time we did a steak or other meat in the kitchen.
Using the grill outside is where it's at for us in addition to the side benefit that
the there is way less clean up and the house doesn't smell all night long.
TM
7/1/2017 7:22am
Looks great, borg!

I would try it if it was cheap to get set-up with it. What's the cost to get going?

I do have to say that I am pretty much an expert at grilling steaks. I marinade in my own mix, then lightly season with cracked pepper and kosher salt followed by John Henry's Pecan Rub (lightly applied) and then while it is cooking I sprinkle lightly with Montreal Steak Seasoning (spicy blend). I get the grill hot, but not sear hot. A good medium hot. We all like rare steaks, so depending on thickness, maybe five minutes per side.

Almost forgot to mention I'm a smoker guru too. I cold smoke all my steaks with Pecan before I grill them.
gabrielito
7/1/2017 9:39am
It bet this thing will work awesome for cooking lamb. I love lamb but it's so difficult to get it right.
borg
7/1/2017 10:18am
ToolMaker wrote:
Are you doing this as novelty or do you believe this will be your new process? I can't remember the last time we did a steak...
Using the grill outside is where it's at for us in addition to the side benefit that
TM
I'm not sure yet. The thinner steaks like the one I had are easier on the grill I think. It's the thicker cuts that get more difficult to get evenly done. My Daughter will try some Salmon. It's already vacuum bagged. Takes about 30 min. I want to try some tri tip and even London Broil. They say if you cook for 24 hrs it really comes out great with the tougher cuts. It breaks it down so it's much more tender.
I use the grill almost exclusively. Especially this time of year. Keeps the heat out of the kitchen. I love burgers, especially when my own tomato crop is producing. BLT's too. I'm going to figure out a way to do bacon on the grill without greasing up the kitchen. Maybe you know a way. Bend up a little foil tray and toss it when it's done?
borg
7/1/2017 10:23am
Thanks bro-org. So all I would need is a regular ole freezer bag?
And a big pot.
There's recipes all over the internet for these things. Veggies, eggs, pork, chicken.
I'm not that much of a cook so I like the idea that it's more idiot proof.
reded
7/1/2017 6:13pm
ToolMaker wrote:
Are you doing this as novelty or do you believe this will be your new process? I can't remember the last time we did a steak...
TM
borg wrote:
I'm not sure yet. The thinner steaks like the one I had are easier on the grill I think. It's the thicker cuts that get more...
I'm not sure yet. The thinner steaks like the one I had are easier on the grill I think. It's the thicker cuts that get more difficult to get evenly done. My Daughter will try some Salmon. It's already vacuum bagged. Takes about 30 min. I want to try some tri tip and even London Broil. They say if you cook for 24 hrs it really comes out great with the tougher cuts. It breaks it down so it's much more tender.
I use the grill almost exclusively. Especially this time of year. Keeps the heat out of the kitchen. I love burgers, especially when my own tomato crop is producing. BLT's too. I'm going to figure out a way to do bacon on the grill without greasing up the kitchen. Maybe you know a way. Bend up a little foil tray and toss it when it's done?
I do bacon on the grill all of time. Just like you said, make a tray out of foil and throw the bacon on at medium heat. Once it firms up you can pull it out of the foil and toss it on the grates until desired crispness (be careful, it cooks quick). Toss the foil when done and you'll have no greasy mess to clean up afterwards.
borg
7/1/2017 6:41pm
reded wrote:
I do bacon on the grill all of time. Just like you said, make a tray out of foil and throw the bacon on at medium...
I do bacon on the grill all of time. Just like you said, make a tray out of foil and throw the bacon on at medium heat. Once it firms up you can pull it out of the foil and toss it on the grates until desired crispness (be careful, it cooks quick). Toss the foil when done and you'll have no greasy mess to clean up afterwards.
I think you just changed my menu tonight to BLT.
Thanks.
TXDirt
7/2/2017 5:01am
ToolMaker wrote:
TM
borg wrote:
I'm not sure yet. The thinner steaks like the one I had are easier on the grill I think. It's the thicker cuts that get more...
reded wrote:
I do bacon on the grill all of time. Just like you said, make a tray out of foil and throw the bacon on at medium...
We sometimes do bacon in the oven. Comes out evenly cooked. Prefer fried bacon but will sometimes oven cook it when we don't want the mess.
Foghorn
7/3/2017 11:20am
We've been doing it for a few years. Best way to do many things including steak. One of my favorites is prime rib. 9 hours at 134 and then seared on a hot grill. Perfect medium rare all the way through and no escaped juices. I pour the juice into a saucepan and make an au jus. Eggs are also fantastic in the sous vide. Throw then in, shell and all. Poached, soft or hard boiled. The texture is amazing. A good one is expensive, but it's a nice way to cook and difficult to overcook something.
Hut
7/3/2017 11:33am
Interesting, I think I will stick to my grilling methods.
Rooster
7/4/2017 11:51am
I've tried the steakhouse pan and oven method before. You really lose the taste you get from the grill. I could do up a perfect medium rare using it, but the taste just wasn't there.

Nothing beats a charcoal grill. Gas is good, but charcoal is better.

My favourite method is to smoke a nice thick cut rib eye. At least 2" thick. Tough to get the medium rare temperature, but the way the fat renders down and the meat gets tender with all the smokey goodness, you really just don't care.
Ebs
7/4/2017 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/4/2017 12:24pm
Reverse sear. Tried this method and it's been my go way to cook a steak since:

newmann
7/4/2017 12:24pm
Anyone ever cook their steak on a heated salt block?

borg
7/4/2017 3:42pm
Ebs wrote:
Reverse sear. Tried this method and it's been my go way to cook a steak since:

Same theory as sous-vide.
Today I'm going to cook a nice tbone. Just under 1.5 lb. I was thinking about searing first but I'm going one more time with the recommended method only 135f this time instead of 130f. The last one was a little more rare than I like em.

I also have a 2.8 lb boneless chuck roast that I want to try next weekend. I will cook it all day, about 12 hrs then sear it. They say is comes out as tender as the top quality cuts because the collagen breaks down over time. Some of the cheaper cuts have great flavor but they're tough as hell.

Will issue a report on the tbone either tonight or tomorrow.
Hut
7/4/2017 4:18pm
If you want a less expensive yet tasty steak don't be scared to try a chuckeye. When cooked right they are great.

Post a reply to: First sous-vide steak

The Latest