Fires up here are getting just a little bit out of hand.....

APLMAN99
Edited Date/Time 7/22/2014 12:39pm
Basically lost the little town of Pateros a couple days ago in the Carlton Complex fire. Here's a picture from last night at the Chiwaukum fire along US Hwy 2.

This was the Mills Creek fire about a week or so ago just south of the little town of Entiat. It's burning down the side of "Numeral Mountain", where every high school class for nearly 100 years has painted their graduation year.

|
Sandberm
7/21/2014 11:47am
Nasty fire season so far. NASTY. Dry , windy...but there is some rain I think in the forecast for tuesday and wednesday?

I heard there was a fire near Harts Pass just west of Mazama. The wife and I went camping there back in October of 05. Had the whole campsite to ourselves and had a really nice time hiking a bit on the PCT and then the next day along the Methow River. Was hoping to get back up there this year the weekend before deer hunting season.

Wind blows right it smells like a camp fire down my way.
Titan1
7/21/2014 11:54am
Forest fires are as natural, and should be as expected, as rain storms and snow and wind. (Assuming they aren't arson...and most seem to be lightning...not sure about those pictured above).
newmann
7/21/2014 11:54am
Damn, and all that water right there.
APLMAN99
7/21/2014 8:42pm
Titan1 wrote:
Forest fires are as natural, and should be as expected, as rain storms and snow and wind. (Assuming they aren't arson...and most seem to be lightning...not...
Forest fires are as natural, and should be as expected, as rain storms and snow and wind. (Assuming they aren't arson...and most seem to be lightning...not sure about those pictured above).
Of course forest fires are natural, but losing towns is not really expected and is nowhere near as common as a rain storm, snow, or the wind blowing. It's not very often that a functioning, irrigated apple orchard burns either. That's the sort of heat generated by a fire like the Carlton Complex. It burned hundreds of acres of thriving, green orchard. The heat required to dry and burn that is something I can't even truly imagine, and growing up in "fire country" it isn't something that I recall happening before. I've seen fires that generated heat cyclones big enough to take full sized pine trees and send them over 100 yards in the air and even those fires stalled when hitting orchard, only burning a few rows deep and damaging several more in. This was a completely different animal.

The Shop

APLMAN99
7/21/2014 8:52pm
newmann wrote:
Damn, and all that water right there.
They are definitely using the water on those fires, but water doesn't really put out wildfires like that. It only slows it enough for ground crews to use tactics to alter the burn patterns, backburn, etc.

The first picture would be the Wenatchee River and it's fairly small, although choppers can dip buckets in some of the deeper pools. The second picture is where the Entiat River flows into the Columbia, and it was definitely used by the choppers and from what I was told they were also using some dipper airplanes, but I didn't see any of those myself.

A few weeks ago we had a relatively small fire just a little ways from our neighborhood. These were pictures I took from my front yard as they were mopping up late on Day 2 of this little fire.

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
7/22/2014 7:16am
Scary stuff.
APLMAN99
7/22/2014 9:00am
Shiftfaced wrote:
Saddle Rock.....
Yep, the picture with the helicopter. The fire was just to the north of Saddlerock itself, but mostly south of Number 2 Canyon. It actually burned on both side of Skyline Dr. If you know that area, you'll understand how fortunate we are not to have lost any structures.
Shiftfaced
7/22/2014 9:05am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yep, the picture with the helicopter. The fire was just to the north of Saddlerock itself, but mostly south of Number 2 Canyon. It actually burned...
Yep, the picture with the helicopter. The fire was just to the north of Saddlerock itself, but mostly south of Number 2 Canyon. It actually burned on both side of Skyline Dr. If you know that area, you'll understand how fortunate we are not to have lost any structures.
Lived in Wenatchee from 2000-2005; worked in the Public Works Department down on Worthen.

Truly a beautiful place, and I hope to return some day.

Sad to see such devastation to the area.
APLMAN99
7/22/2014 10:49am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Yep, the picture with the helicopter. The fire was just to the north of Saddlerock itself, but mostly south of Number 2 Canyon. It actually burned...
Shiftfaced wrote:
Lived in Wenatchee from 2000-2005; worked in the Public Works Department down on Worthen. Truly a beautiful place, and I hope to return some day. Sad...
Lived in Wenatchee from 2000-2005; worked in the Public Works Department down on Worthen.

Truly a beautiful place, and I hope to return some day.

Sad to see such devastation to the area.
It's definitely a decent place to live, especially if you consider being the 5th car at the traffic light to be total traffic gridlock!

You might not quite recognize Worthen St anymore. Public Works was relocated up to McKittrick St above Wenatchee Ave. and the old steel building across from Gold's Gym on Worthen was refurbished into a Public Market. Worthen St between Orondo and 5th St diverts now into a meandering waterfront roadway called Riverside Drive, and where that meets 9th St and becomes Walla Walla (by Lowes) there are some waterfront apartments under construction.

Here's some pictures of the old Pybus Steel building that has been rebuilt in the market.

Titan1
7/22/2014 10:59am
Titan1 wrote:
Forest fires are as natural, and should be as expected, as rain storms and snow and wind. (Assuming they aren't arson...and most seem to be lightning...not...
APLMAN99 wrote:
Of course forest fires are natural, but losing towns is not really expected and is nowhere near as common as a rain storm, snow, or the...
Of course forest fires are natural, but losing towns is not really expected and is nowhere near as common as a rain storm, snow, or the wind blowing. It's not very often that a functioning, irrigated apple orchard burns either. That's the sort of heat generated by a fire like the Carlton Complex. It burned hundreds of acres of thriving, green orchard. The heat required to dry and burn that is something I can't even truly imagine, and growing up in "fire country" it isn't something that I recall happening before. I've seen fires that generated heat cyclones big enough to take full sized pine trees and send them over 100 yards in the air and even those fires stalled when hitting orchard, only burning a few rows deep and damaging several more in. This was a completely different animal.
Okay.
Shiftfaced
7/22/2014 12:39pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
It's definitely a decent place to live, especially if you consider being the 5th car at the traffic light to be total traffic gridlock! You might...
It's definitely a decent place to live, especially if you consider being the 5th car at the traffic light to be total traffic gridlock!

You might not quite recognize Worthen St anymore. Public Works was relocated up to McKittrick St above Wenatchee Ave. and the old steel building across from Gold's Gym on Worthen was refurbished into a Public Market. Worthen St between Orondo and 5th St diverts now into a meandering waterfront roadway called Riverside Drive, and where that meets 9th St and becomes Walla Walla (by Lowes) there are some waterfront apartments under construction.

Here's some pictures of the old Pybus Steel building that has been rebuilt in the market.

I think that development is pretty awesome.

I came back last summer for a Gran Fondo bicycle ride out of Leavenworth, and spent the day with one of my city co-workers down at the market. Back before Pybus and public works were down there, the riverfront was pretty much a dump on the "other side of the tracks". That the city is working hard to have a water front, and actually use the Columbia as an asset is a good move. I know a lot of people said that this area would not be a good place for a public market, but I think they were wrong. I think Dennis Johnson was a good mayor.

Post a reply to: Fires up here are getting just a little bit out of hand.....

The Latest