Favorite/Best actor and why?

TXDirt
Edited Date/Time 6/30/2017 7:12pm
So who's your favorite/best actor and why?

For me, I'm going with Tom Hanks. I think he's this generations best actor. He has starred in an impressive list of movies and some of my favs are:

Forest Gump
Castaway
Saving Private Ryan
Apollo 13
Road to Perdition

He also has done voice-overs for:
Toy Story
Polar Express
Cars

For me, he's one of the all-time great actors.
|
rpoint116
6/21/2017 6:16am
These guys never have bad movies:

CURRENT:
Phillip Seymore Hoffman - RIP
Kevin Spacey
William Macy
Jullian Moore
Ann Hathaway
Meryl Streep

I'm really starting to like Emily Blunt

OLDER:
Robert Duvall
Robert Redford
Kurt Russell
Al Pachino
JAFO92
6/21/2017 6:54am
Charlton Heston

He was an incredible stage and film actor and starred in some of my favorite films. In his personal life he always stood up for what he believed in even when it wasnt popular to do so. From marching for Civil Rights in Selma, heading the Hollywood Delegation with Sidney Poitier and Harry Belafonte to the Lincoln Memorial in 1963 to "From my cold dead hands" as President of the NRA and standing up for the 2nd Amendment.

TXDirt
6/21/2017 7:26am
Good call on Heston. Definitely one of the all-time greats!
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
6/21/2017 7:45am
steve martin
bill murray

they are funny....

that's all I can think of at the moment.

The Shop

TXDirt
6/21/2017 7:57am
dsmith wrote:
steve martin
bill murray

they are funny....

that's all I can think of at the moment.
Steve Martin is good. Love some of his movies.

Someone who I thought had a chance to be great was Heath Ledger. He could play a pretty wide range of roles and was just getting his career started.
GD2
Fantasy
815th
6/21/2017 8:26am Edited Date/Time 6/21/2017 8:27am
I don't have one favorite, really, but here are some that are on my list of favorites.

Christoph Waltz is one of my favorites purely because of his performances in Django Unchained and Inglourious Basterds.

Kevin Spacey:
House of Cards
American Beauty
Baby Driver
The Usual Suspects

Heath Ledger deserves to be on the list for his performance in The Dark Knight.

Daniel Day-Lewis in There Will Be Blood was incredible.

Clint Eastwood. Westerns, bro. Also Gran Torino.
peelout
6/21/2017 9:59am
i only have one favorite. all the rest are just typical actors to me.

JPT
6/21/2017 9:59am
Current

Tom Hanks
Kevin Spacey
Kevin Costner

Old School

Burt Lancaster
Jimmy Stewart
Kirk Douglas
Firefly47
6/21/2017 11:09am
Christian Bale has to be one of my tops alongside Tom Hardy.
Tom Hanks is phenomenal and sets the bar extremely high, too.
Other notables have to be Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, and (don't laugh) Woody Harrelson.
TXDirt
6/21/2017 12:01pm
Firefly47 wrote:
Christian Bale has to be one of my tops alongside Tom Hardy. Tom Hanks is phenomenal and sets the bar extremely high, too. Other notables have...
Other notables have to be Kevin Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Brad Pitt, and (don't laugh) Woody Harrelson.
I'm not a fan of Brad Pitt at all. Don't even really have a specific reason why.

He was good in these movies however.

Inglourious Basterds
Fight Club
Meet Joe Black
Money Ball

I do like Leonardo DiCaprio, mostly because Wolf of Wall Street was just so awesome! lol

He was good in:

Titanic
Gangs of New York
The Wolf of Wall Street
Catch Me If You Can
Revolutionary Road

I know he was a good actor in The Revenant but I did not really care for that movie.
Hut
6/21/2017 12:06pm
Leonardo DiCaprio did an excellent job and very believable Howard Hughes In the aviator.
TXDirt
6/21/2017 12:06pm
I like Mark Wahlberg as well.

Ted/Ted 2
The Other Guys
Daddy's Home
The Happening
The Big Hit
Boogie Nights

I don't put him near the same level as some of these other actors obviously but I enjoy a lot of his movies and he does a pretty good job in them.
TXDirt
6/21/2017 12:08pm
Hut wrote:
Leonardo DiCaprio did an excellent job and very believable Howard Hughes In the aviator.
I'll have to check that one out...
peelout
6/21/2017 12:50pm
Bogart
John Wayne
Eastwood
Duval
Denzel Washington
great list, Denzel is probably my second favorite. he has always nailed the "i'm rooting for that guy" role. he was great in John Q, and he's turned into an amazing action role guy.

Duvall is also great. he and Tommy Lee Jones were amazing in Lonesome Dove.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
6/21/2017 1:05pm
TXDirt wrote:
I like Mark Wahlberg as well. Ted/Ted 2 The Other Guys Daddy's Home The Happening The Big Hit Boogie Nights I don't put him near the...

Ted/Ted 2
The Other Guys
Daddy's Home
The Happening
The Big Hit
Boogie Nights

I don't put him near the same level as some of these other actors obviously but I enjoy a lot of his movies and he does a pretty good job in them.
Marky Mark is the man. But you missed 2 of his best movies, Shooter and Lone Survivor.
peelout
6/21/2017 1:47pm
Godfather and American History X?
Ted722
6/21/2017 4:46pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2017 4:47pm
Some great one's over the years, many mentioned.

Gene Hackman
Mississipi Burning / Poseidon Adventure Crimson Tide and so many more

Jack Nicholson
One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest / Shining / A Few Good Men / As Good as it Gets and many more too

Dennis Hopper
Easy Rider and Speed come to mind.
Sully
6/21/2017 5:00pm
I don't want to quote the post because there's too many pictures, but that 3rd photo JAFO posted has some serious heavy hitter in it. Heston, Lena Horn (?), Sidney Poitier, James Garner, Brando and Paul Newman, plus RFK. Definitely some of the best to ever take to the screen.

I don't have one actor I can list as a favorite, but I'll say that I can't remember ever seeing a bad Denzel Washington movie.
6/21/2017 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/22/2017 5:44am
Agree with many names mentioned. I guess if I had to pick just one then, boring answer, but Al Pachino. Always been a big fan of Michael Caine too though, he's particularly good when angry/menacing. Awesome performance from both Caine and Reeve here:

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/21/2017 7:07pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2017 7:22pm
Best? Hands down, to me at least, Daniel Day Lewis, for body of work.

Most mesmerizing single performance?
Leonardo DiCaprio in "Whats Eating Gilbert Grape". Blew my mind when I found out he wasn't really retarded (not using the term in a non-PC manner).

These are based solely on acting.
IWreckALot
6/21/2017 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 6/21/2017 7:17pm
TXDirt wrote:
I like Mark Wahlberg as well. Ted/Ted 2 The Other Guys Daddy's Home The Happening The Big Hit Boogie Nights I don't put him near the...

Ted/Ted 2
The Other Guys
Daddy's Home
The Happening
The Big Hit
Boogie Nights

bh84 wrote:
Marky Mark is the man. But you missed 2 of his best movies, Shooter and Lone Survivor.
Wahlberg has a pretty interesting life story also. Pretty cool to see someone turn their life around the way he has.

I liked his role in The Other Guys. But he was definitely best in lone survivor and shooter.
ocscottie
6/21/2017 9:04pm
As Todd mentioned, Edward Norton is one of my all time fav actors, he is soooo different in real life, just a normal dude, his acting skills blow me away. In fact i just caught "The Score" for about the 1000th time the other night at 3am on HBO, such a good job in that movie.

I also caught "Stuck On You" the other day for the first time in awhile, Matt Damon is pretty versatile, from serious roles to comedies.

i could go on and on...
KMC440
6/21/2017 10:31pm
Harvey Mushman
Mr Heston
Mr Eastwood

I'm old school ... or just old... BlushSad
APLMAN99
6/21/2017 10:32pm
Too many great actors to only have a single favorite.....

Billy Bob Thornton-Slingblade is my favorite movie of all time. Hard to believe that he did that project on his own. Lots of his work that I don't care for, but several other decent efforts.

Gene Wilder-Second favorite movie, Willie Wonka. He sure made it seem real to this kid!

Christopher Walken-Just re-watched The Deer Hunter again the other day.

Kevin Spacey-Everything

Jack Lemmon-The REAL star of Glen Gary Glenross........

Bob Newhart-Loved this guy since I was a kid and his latest stuff hasn't done anything to stop that. From his stuff on Big Bang Theory to the movie Elf, he's just hilarious.
Firefly47
6/22/2017 4:02am
ocscottie wrote:
As Todd mentioned, Edward Norton is one of my all time fav actors, he is soooo different in real life, just a normal dude, his acting...
As Todd mentioned, Edward Norton is one of my all time fav actors, he is soooo different in real life, just a normal dude, his acting skills blow me away. In fact i just caught "The Score" for about the 1000th time the other night at 3am on HBO, such a good job in that movie.

I also caught "Stuck On You" the other day for the first time in awhile, Matt Damon is pretty versatile, from serious roles to comedies.

i could go on and on...
Ed should've been nominated for an Oscar in Rounders.
Firefly47
6/22/2017 4:05am
Firefly47 wrote:
Christian Bale has to be one of my tops alongside Tom Hardy. Tom Hanks is phenomenal and sets the bar extremely high, too. Other notables have...
TXDirt wrote:
I'm not a fan of Brad Pitt at all. Don't even really have a specific reason why. He was good in these movies however. Inglourious Basterds...
I'm not a fan of Brad Pitt at all. Don't even really have a specific reason why.

He was good in these movies however.

Inglourious Basterds
Fight Club
Meet Joe Black
Money Ball

I do like Leonardo DiCaprio, mostly because Wolf of Wall Street was just so awesome! lol

He was good in:

Titanic
Gangs of New York
The Wolf of Wall Street
Catch Me If You Can
Revolutionary Road

I know he was a good actor in The Revenant but I did not really care for that movie.
Pitt's best performances were 12 Monkeys and True Romance.
I read a while back that when he signs a contract to do a movie, he has to be allowed to eat while filming because it keeps him from getting nervous.
And if you watch, he''s almost always eating in his movie roles.

Post a reply to: Favorite/Best actor and why?

The Latest