Fathers day stories, tributes, pics, etc.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
Feeling a little sentimental got me to thinking about how lucky I was to have had a dad like I did. I thought it might be nice to get a good fathers day thread going. Not everyone had the nuclear father, so post about whomever it is/was that you want to recognize. I dont think it is too early to get the stories started. Lets hear em boys!
|
JRT812
6/15/2016 7:46pm
2 years ago my wife surprised me with the glock 43 for my first Father's Day. She knew I wanted it and had a puzzle made with a picture of the gun that read happy first Father's Day. My father and I usally spend time together on this day. I put it together and assumed she just got on the waiting list, but I was still pumped. Long story short she surprised with the gun by calling me in the nursery and presenting it. I had a great day barbecuing and shooting with my father. It brought up good memories with my father and grandfather. I felt like I was part of the club that day.
MR. X
6/15/2016 9:05pm
Almost lost my dad to cancer when i was 6, he was and still is a huge roll model to me ,i can't imagine how i would have turned out without him. We usually spend fathers day in the woods hanging treestands and first scouting for hunting season.
SCR
6/15/2016 9:10pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2016 9:19pm
My old man was a cool cat. Born in 1929 in Youngstown Ohio he grew up in the depression but never told a sad story about it. At age 16 with $1.07 in his pocket he hitch hiked from California back home to Ohio by himself just to see if he could do it. Worked in the steel mills, raced stock cars in the early 50s, flew airplanes, and served in the US Navy. Lots of good memories working in the garage on cars and bikes, etc. but the best memories are from the riding and racing.

Miss the hell out of him.
ledger
6/15/2016 9:22pm
I was raised by my Grandfather, although he passed many moons ago, he is still the best person I have ever known and was more of a father to me than my own. He taught me ALL of life's lesson's, especially how to work, and I'll never forget telling him "thank you for teaching me how to work and enjoy it" He loved German Shepherd's, so I showed up at his door on Fathers Day (1981) with a little GS pup, he gave him the name Brutus, and that dog was like his baby. Anyway, my Grandfather's name was Ledger, and I changed my name in his honor. He was a good man.

The Shop

SCR
6/15/2016 9:40pm
SCR wrote:
My old man was a cool cat. Born in 1929 in Youngstown Ohio he grew up in the depression but never told a sad story about...
My old man was a cool cat. Born in 1929 in Youngstown Ohio he grew up in the depression but never told a sad story about it. At age 16 with $1.07 in his pocket he hitch hiked from California back home to Ohio by himself just to see if he could do it. Worked in the steel mills, raced stock cars in the early 50s, flew airplanes, and served in the US Navy. Lots of good memories working in the garage on cars and bikes, etc. but the best memories are from the riding and racing.

Miss the hell out of him.
This picture was supposed to go with first post.

Centaura
6/16/2016 5:18am
Get ready to celebrate the Father's Day 2016 with these amazing lines that will lift up your feelings for your dearest dad. Reading these brilliant Father's Day quotes below will show why being a father is the greatest thing in the world. And, it is even more great when you have an awesome dad that you call “the greatest”. Take a look at these happy Father's Day quotes and get inspired to write your father a cool new message, wishing him a Happy Father's Day on June 19, 2016.
WVUpetro2013
6/16/2016 5:28am
Pic of my dad and I a few years back, the day after graduating from college.

He is for sure the person I look up to the most. He came from a very broken family without a dollar to their name, and then had me at 19. Defiantly dealt difficult hand, but worked hard and now is very successful with a thriving car dealership. Even when he had next to nothing he would still bring home broken dirt bikes and fix them up for me. Can't wait to treat him to the high point race this weekend! We make the trip every year.

Also wanted to post a pic of my Father's Day gift from my wife and 1.5year old. Coolest gift I have ever gotten.

I just hope my son and I end up/are half the men my father is.
bronwynrayne
6/16/2016 9:36am
My dad grew up in Liverpool in the heroin ages. He is a diesel mechanic by trade, grew up in a rough and tumble sort of way in a row house with a bathtub hanging on the wall that the whole family would share on Sundays to get clean. When he was a young man he left that all behind to move to Canada and start a new life because he had become a junkie, kind of like Trainspotting. We have been through a lot, many years of not speaking because I hated him, but now we are at a really cool point in our relationship where we talk frequently and are great friends.

Some of his favourite saying include:
(When I complain about something) "Better than a kick in the head with a frozen mukluk."
(When I say I am pissed off) "Better than being pissed on innit?"
(When I ask what's for dinner) "Shit and sugar with a hair on top."

Recently he visited my brother and I, and we got the family together for a BBQ. It has been a really long time since we were all together, so it was really nice.

PS This is really cool. I love reading all the stories Smile

mx510
Fantasy
1744th
6/16/2016 10:39am Edited Date/Time 6/16/2016 10:40am

This is my dad on Halloween with my two little ones. I miss him terribly, he was a hell of a father and man. I was very lucky in many ways with him, the first being to date, he is the longest living heart transplant recipient in Washington at 27 years! He was a fighter that beat heart disease and cancer with countless setbacks along the way, and did it all with a smile and positive attitude. I truly miss him. Cherish your dads boys!
Sidecar
6/16/2016 11:47am
This is a really cool thread, thanks for sharing your Dads story's with us, here's my Dad, Jeff..... My hero. He grew up on a farm and got his start on a motorbike aged around 14 and started racing motocross (or scrambles as it was ) at 16 in 1960. These photos were taken about 5-6 weeks ago, he still rides really well.
It's with genuine thanks to my Dad that to this day I am still passionate about this great sport of ours
Happy Father's Day Jeff....

Titan1
6/16/2016 12:09pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2016 12:10pm
My dad was an underground coal miner for 25 years, and the father of 7 kids (I'm the oldest-5 boys and 2 girls). Worked his tail off, often double shifts, to keep the lights on and food on the table. Even though he qualified he'd never take any help from the government. Hardest working man I know.

He's also a freak athlete, but was to shy to do anything with his talent because he HATED being the center of attention. Incredibly strong, unbelievable balance, off the charts hand eye coordination. You ever see that Bo Jackson Highlight when he picks up the ball deep in right field and-flat footed-throws it to third base-perfect throw-to get the out? My dad was playing center field in a city league softball game when I was about 10 or 11...runners on 1st and 2nd...batter his a deep ball, buried at the base of the fence (it literally got stuck at the base of the fence)...my dad picks it up, flat footed, and throws it-with one bounce between the pitchers mound and home plate...right to the catcher who tags the runner who was on 2nd out.

And basketball? He was a local legend...he'd go down to the local community college and play pick up games-in his 30's-and out score the college team players...he could shoot from anywhere...could dunk (as a 6 foot white guy).

He wrestled in high school...but didn't like it all that much and didn't put effort into it...one day there was a nationally ranked college wrestler that the coach came in for a camp of some sort...anyway...dad and this guy somehow end up wrestling, and the college kid ends up behind dad...so dad grabs his right wrist...that guy was trying with everything he had to get his wrist free...and could not do it. Afterwords he said he's never felt a grip that strong in his life (and had the bruises on his wrist to prove it). I felt that grip a few times when I got mouthy as a teenager...never enough to bruise my arm, but enough to know I didn't want to keep going down that road I was going down...

Dad was a "speak when spoken too" kind of a guy...he has this discernible and powerful "quiet dignity" about him. You notice he is in the room, even though he'll very seldom say a word. And when he says something, everyone listens.

As quiet as he is, people are just attracted to him. Children especially. Everywhere he goes his grandkids just follow him around. And its no surprise that you really see "who" he is when he's around children.

He could make anything, or anywhere fun and interesting. It's just how he is.

Anyway...I could go on and on...but I won't. I'm blessed to have had him raise me, and I'm blessed to still have him in my life.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/16/2016 1:27pm
Great stories! Some things in life are incredible and the feeling of family and the positive influences our father figures can have on us is just amazing. Im still trying to muster up the nerve to post about my dad. Cant stop tearing up enough to get through the post.

Awesome posts!
bronwynrayne
6/16/2016 11:03pm
These are so fun to read. You guys are awesome, dads are so important.
Vet57
6/17/2016 4:31am
My dad grew up in Liverpool in the heroin ages. He is a diesel mechanic by trade, grew up in a rough and tumble sort of...
My dad grew up in Liverpool in the heroin ages. He is a diesel mechanic by trade, grew up in a rough and tumble sort of way in a row house with a bathtub hanging on the wall that the whole family would share on Sundays to get clean. When he was a young man he left that all behind to move to Canada and start a new life because he had become a junkie, kind of like Trainspotting. We have been through a lot, many years of not speaking because I hated him, but now we are at a really cool point in our relationship where we talk frequently and are great friends.

Some of his favourite saying include:
(When I complain about something) "Better than a kick in the head with a frozen mukluk."
(When I say I am pissed off) "Better than being pissed on innit?"
(When I ask what's for dinner) "Shit and sugar with a hair on top."

Recently he visited my brother and I, and we got the family together for a BBQ. It has been a really long time since we were all together, so it was really nice.

PS This is really cool. I love reading all the stories Smile

Nice FXR!
motogeezer
6/17/2016 12:42pm Edited Date/Time 6/17/2016 12:43pm
You guys have some pretty awesome dads, but mine's the coolest!

He's the one with the PalMal hanging out of his mouth.

Still cool as shit at 83 (he quit smoking a long time ago).

And congrats to you guys celebrating your first Father's Day.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/19/2016 8:51am
The day of my very first race in 1985, it was so muddy in practice that I couldn't slog my RM80 through it. I got stuck out in the back and only made it to the pits after the next practice had been opened up. I wanted to go home, but my dad convinced me not to quit, all while making it seem like my idea to stay. The dude has a good way of teaching lessons without sounding like a teacher - a strange combination, considering that's what he did for a living!

He's retired now, enjoying the simple life and driving nice cars. Cool
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/19/2016 10:25am

1988'ish, Ponca City. It was only about 8 months after this pic that he was killed in the line of duty as an OKC fireman.

A great man and an even better father. I love you Dad. Happy Fathers day!

team466
6/20/2016 7:52pm
Was sitting in the pits at southwick yesterday with my bro and my two kids. I called my old man to wish him a happy fathers day from all of us. He got a little teary towards the end of the call. A little latter in the day I was checking my phone and both my kids had posted moto pics of me with them on their instagram accounts thanking me for all I have done for and with them. Wish i could get those posts in here, made me teary.

Post a reply to: Fathers day stories, tributes, pics, etc.

The Latest