Family men

MP818
Edited Date/Time 3/3/2015 2:31pm
What would you guys say were the best and worst times of being dads? New one here!
|
hvaughn88
2/25/2015 10:34am Edited Date/Time 2/25/2015 10:39am
The bad...your social life is over for the most part, haha. Just going to a show at a local music venue seems like I'm preparing to be gone for a week. The good...your social life is over. Nothing beats spending time with the little ones. Just remember that you can't protect them from everything and they are a lot tougher than they look. Also, try to just slow down and soak it all in. They grow at such a crazy rate and learn things so quickly that it's definitely a blur. And if you don't already, get a go pro, or some kind of action camera that's durable and waterproof. Some of the best, funniest footage i have is from my 1 year old just running through the house with my gopro laughing his ass off while I chase him. Congrats on the new addition!
Xracerdone
2/25/2015 10:52am
Best part of being a dad is everything between birth & 14 years of age. After that you'll want to kill him till he's 18.
hvaughn88
2/25/2015 10:54am
Xracerdone wrote:
Best part of being a dad is everything between birth & 14 years of age. After that you'll want to kill him till he's 18.
dammit, my oldest is 7, haha.
huck
2/25/2015 11:00am
My kids are 16 and 12. My son just turned 16 last week. While we aren't as close as we were a couple years ago, we are still pretty tight. My daughter and I are very close. The main thing I think is to do stuff with them. Always!!!!! Even if it's just going to the park. Make family outings important!! I see a lot of my kids friends that are just dropped off everywhere by their parents. Go and be active in what they do. You'll get a better bond with them.

Worst times...I can't think of one.
Best times...every day!

The Shop

Xracerdone
2/25/2015 11:13am
Xracerdone wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
My 15 yr old really isn't that bad. We are still close but he's been doing the smoking pot, bad grades, got busted a few times sneaking out. Typical teen stuff. I think we've gotten him back on track now though. The most important thing I've found is talking to him like a human. All the punishing doesn't work, they'll do whatever they want anyway. He knows he won't be driving if he can't pass pee tests & grades have to be all A's & B's so he's been trying. He is a dick, but he gets that from me. I thought I was funny till I am seeing a mini me running around. Realizing I am such a dick....
huck
2/25/2015 11:22am
Xracerdone wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Xracerdone wrote:
My 15 yr old really isn't that bad. We are still close but he's been doing the smoking pot, bad grades, got busted a few times...
My 15 yr old really isn't that bad. We are still close but he's been doing the smoking pot, bad grades, got busted a few times sneaking out. Typical teen stuff. I think we've gotten him back on track now though. The most important thing I've found is talking to him like a human. All the punishing doesn't work, they'll do whatever they want anyway. He knows he won't be driving if he can't pass pee tests & grades have to be all A's & B's so he's been trying. He is a dick, but he gets that from me. I thought I was funny till I am seeing a mini me running around. Realizing I am such a dick....
If smoking pot, bad grades and getting busted sneaking out is "typical teen stuff"... I thank my lucky stars that my 16 isn't 'typical'.

Best of luck with that!
philG
2/25/2015 12:11pm
Dont let your kids stop you doing stuff... i got dragged round all sorts of places as a kid, saw loads of the country and did some cool stuff, while most kids were spending time at cubs and scouts and football practice... started riding aged 9 and never looked back , had kids of my own who grew up in the MX & SM paddocks of UK and Europe, who appreciate life for what it is for them , and dont spend hours worrying about what they ought to be doing.

Dont get involved in the 'competitive busyness' that lots of new parents seem to fall into, just be who you are , but with a kid in tow.

And enjoy
hvaughn88
2/25/2015 12:24pm
I'm really glad this thread was started. I was just talking with my dad the other day about my son and hobbies he might get interested in. We were a racing family (dad had a company that building and raced late models, I raced mx but just locally, nothing too serious). We though karts might be something fun for all of us to get into, but it seems like that has gotten way too serious now too. My little guy likes motorcycles, but honestly, he could take it or leave it and not be disappointed. He really wants to give BMX a shot and the local scene here seems pretty laid back so we will probably try that. But my question is: is there any sort of motorsports left out there for kids to just do as a hobby? I swear it seems every motorsport is now focused on grooming the next professional and they just don't look fun.
Xracerdone
2/25/2015 12:36pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Xracerdone wrote:
My 15 yr old really isn't that bad. We are still close but he's been doing the smoking pot, bad grades, got busted a few times...
huck wrote:
If smoking pot, bad grades and getting busted sneaking out is "typical teen stuff"... I thank my lucky stars that my 16 isn't 'typical'. Best of...
If smoking pot, bad grades and getting busted sneaking out is "typical teen stuff"... I thank my lucky stars that my 16 isn't 'typical'.

Best of luck with that!
Your kid just hides it better
huck
2/25/2015 12:39pm
Xracerdone wrote:
lol. you can believe that if it makes you feel better....
J.F.S
2/25/2015 12:47pm
The best part is just that, being a dad, my kids make me happy every day. The worst part would be that you worry about them, other that that it is hard to find anything bad about being a dad IMO.
philG
2/25/2015 1:06pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm really glad this thread was started. I was just talking with my dad the other day about my son and hobbies he might get interested...
I'm really glad this thread was started. I was just talking with my dad the other day about my son and hobbies he might get interested in. We were a racing family (dad had a company that building and raced late models, I raced mx but just locally, nothing too serious). We though karts might be something fun for all of us to get into, but it seems like that has gotten way too serious now too. My little guy likes motorcycles, but honestly, he could take it or leave it and not be disappointed. He really wants to give BMX a shot and the local scene here seems pretty laid back so we will probably try that. But my question is: is there any sort of motorsports left out there for kids to just do as a hobby? I swear it seems every motorsport is now focused on grooming the next professional and they just don't look fun.
if you choose to turn up just for fun, who's problem is that..... just cos everyone else throws wads of time and cash at the job doesnt mean you have to too.. my lad didnt race till he was 19, yet if he had wanted too, he could have had everything at 8 if he wanted too, he didnt, so i carried on riding and now we get to ride together, for fun, because its a hobby,and its not like there is a living to be earned even if he was any good.

Let him do BMX and MX , just as and when he wants....
S.Loyer
2/25/2015 1:13pm
Xracerdone wrote:
huck wrote:
lol. you can believe that if it makes you feel better....
Man its rare, I was one of those kids but out a group of 10, I was the only one not smoking the refer or experimenting with some form of drug. Skipping classes and doing stupid shit from time to time, yeah, every kid does that.
huck
2/25/2015 1:24pm
S.Loyer wrote:
Man its rare, I was one of those kids but out a group of 10, I was the only one not smoking the refer or experimenting...
Man its rare, I was one of those kids but out a group of 10, I was the only one not smoking the refer or experimenting with some form of drug. Skipping classes and doing stupid shit from time to time, yeah, every kid does that.
Same here... My best friends all smoked....but I never did.
hvaughn88
2/25/2015 1:32pm
S.Loyer wrote:
Man its rare, I was one of those kids but out a group of 10, I was the only one not smoking the refer or experimenting...
huck wrote:
maybe it's not as rare as we think. I've never touched the stuff either. Didn't take a drink until college.
huck
2/25/2015 1:34pm
S.Loyer wrote:
huck wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
maybe it's not as rare as we think. I've never touched the stuff either. Didn't take a drink until college.
I drank a very very little in high school (maybe 10 wine coolers in all of high school). Maybe it's just that Arkansas kids are more well behaved than kids in other states... Wink
hvaughn88
2/25/2015 1:38pm
huck wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
huck wrote:
I drank a very very little in high school (maybe 10 wine coolers in all of high school). Maybe it's just that Arkansas kids are more...
I drank a very very little in high school (maybe 10 wine coolers in all of high school). Maybe it's just that Arkansas kids are more well behaved than kids in other states... Wink
haha, ya, that's gotta be it
MR. X
2/25/2015 1:41pm
Good read,my wife and i are about to try and build a kid.
huck
2/25/2015 1:56pm
MR. X wrote:
Smile That's one of the 'best times' too... Wink Enjoy!
APLMAN99
2/25/2015 2:12pm
Best things- Finding out about the acts of kindness and compassion that they do when you aren't around. Seeing them persevere even if things aren't easy. Having them come to you to ask for advice concerning the "vices" above, that really let's you know how much they trust you and how truly loved you've made them feel.

Worst things- Watching them make mistakes that people can only learn from by going through it, such as their "first loves". Seeing them try their hardest and not be successful at everything, and wishing you could take the pain away from them but holding back to let them learn on their own. Acting like a jerk in front of them and realizing you have some work to do to regain the esteem they've held you in.
Nighttrain
2/25/2015 3:24pm
J.F.S wrote:
The best part is just that, being a dad, my kids make me happy every day. The worst part would be that you worry about them...
The best part is just that, being a dad, my kids make me happy every day. The worst part would be that you worry about them, other that that it is hard to find anything bad about being a dad IMO.
What he said is my experience. Appreciate every minute, it goes by fast.
S.Loyer
2/25/2015 5:01pm
MR. X wrote:
Bathe in peaches.
Keep the guys chilled fan on them all the time.
Rdubs19
2/25/2015 6:21pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
huck wrote:
I drank a very very little in high school (maybe 10 wine coolers in all of high school). Maybe it's just that Arkansas kids are more...
hvaughn88 wrote:
haha, ya, that's gotta be it
Arkansas kid here, I partook in the aforementioned shameful behaviors more than enough to make up for both of you Saints :-/ hahaha. Well I guess it's not that funny. Seems like a bunch from central Ark that I met at ASU hadn't partied a ton, while EVERYBODY from my screwed up town had been way too far around the block at a young age. If I learned one thing, it is this: NEVER underestimate how good your teenaged kids are at hiding drinking, drugs, and sneaking around, no matter how innocent they may seem. Watch their friends like a hawk, I cannot stress that enough. It's mind blowing what we used to hide from our parents, shameful really. I got it out of my system early I guess, whereas most that showed up to college with no experience began to cut loose (of course) and a lot couldn't handle it and dropped out.

To OP, congrats and good luck man, my hypothetical advice if you have a daughter is no dating or boys until she's 30 or married, whichever comes first. Hope this helps. Congratulations again.
rucka356
2/25/2015 7:01pm
I've got a 9 month old girl. Everyday I am waiting for 5:00 so I can rush home to see her face light up when she sees me. Truly an awesome experience so far!
Sully
2/25/2015 7:08pm
The best part for me is watching my kids succeed at whatever they put their minds to. My oldest saw a lot of his friends were getting on the Honor Roll at school, so he busted his ass and got himself on there as well.

The worst part, for me anyway, is that fine line between discipline and "holy shit that's actually pretty funny." When my kids were younger (they're 9 and 13 now), they would do goofy shit that they needed to be punished for, but it was hard for me to stay in "dad mode" while I was trying really hard to not laugh.

The most important thing to remember, though, is that through good times and bad times, there's no better job in the world than being a dad.
JM485
2/25/2015 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2015 8:04am
hvaughn88 wrote:
I'm really glad this thread was started. I was just talking with my dad the other day about my son and hobbies he might get interested...
Never mind.
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
2/26/2015 9:06am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2015 9:50am
Dad of a 1.5 year old son here. I truly love being a dad especially that he's more than just a sleeping, eating and shitting machine. Seeing his eyes light up and making him laugh is the greatest thing ever.

The only thing that I can say has been hard is that when he's awake there is no resting or down time. If I go to sit down on the couch and just relax for a minute, then I hear a drawer or cabinet open and he's in their looking around. I try to have him just sit on the couch with me but that lasts for maybe 5 seconds before he squirms and wants to get down and explore.
2/26/2015 9:17am
The worst.........when they get sick! .....and.....When they need to be punished!

The best.........everything else! Wink

mxb2
2/26/2015 9:33am
Funny comments on the daughters, saying she wont come out the house til she is 30, knowing dam well you guys were trying bang young girls from the bar lol. , kids are not angels cant hide them from the real world, just advice and guidance and fingers crossed.

Post a reply to: Family men

The Latest