Facebook just scared me

Edited Date/Time 2/13/2015 3:59pm
Facebook just scared the crap out of me.

I don't "do" facebook. I think it's silly. I don't need to know that Gwen is feeling tired because she just went to the gym.

However, sometimes you just need to go on there to look at something, so I made a totally anonymous account with it's own email address.

For years I have happily and anonymously checked out something on facebook without having any friends there or pictures or anything.

Today I clicked on a link that took me to fb.

Next thing I knew, it was suggesting people that I might know..... all of whom I DID know.

HOW did facebook identify me (and my friends) given just a fake email address?

Seriously. You make a fake email address, hand it to facebook and it says, "Oh, it YOU! Here you go, here are your real life friends."
|
MR. X
2/10/2015 6:55pm
I have never created a facebook account and i get emails from facebook telling me i should join and everybody that says people i may know that are on facebook are people that i know.

The Shop

2/10/2015 9:24pm
Vital has slowly filled the void for me that Facebook left. It was cool when I was in high school because people my age did semi interesting things but now everyone is just getting knocked up, and married. The uneducated arguing that goes on in there is unbelievable. I check comments on big news stories and usually end up frustrated and I can feel my blood pressure rising by the time I get done reading the comments. I check it periodically at work but it is so lame.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
2/10/2015 9:25pm
Facebook just scared the crap out of me. I don't "do" facebook. I think it's silly. I don't need to know that Gwen is feeling tired...

I don't "do" facebook. I think it's silly. I don't need to know that Gwen is feeling tired because she just went to the gym.

However, sometimes you just need to go on there to look at something, so I made a totally anonymous account with it's own email address.

For years I have happily and anonymously checked out something on facebook without having any friends there or pictures or anything.

Next thing I knew, it was suggesting people that I might know..... all of whom I DID know.

Seriously. You make a fake email address, hand it to facebook and it says, "Oh, it YOU! Here you go, here are your real life friends."
You were out smarted by facebook. WoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooPinch
wildbill
2/10/2015 10:11pm
lostboy819 wrote:
At least she has the balls to come on here and spill her guts. Not everyone is as contemporary as you Eddy boy.
KMC440
2/11/2015 1:26am
Vital has slowly filled the void for me that Facebook left. It was cool when I was in high school because people my age did semi...
Vital has slowly filled the void for me that Facebook left. It was cool when I was in high school because people my age did semi interesting things but now everyone is just getting knocked up, and married. The uneducated arguing that goes on in there is unbelievable. I check comments on big news stories and usually end up frustrated and I can feel my blood pressure rising by the time I get done reading the comments. I check it periodically at work but it is so lame.
So you left the uneducated arguing on faceplant for HERE .......

Whistling
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
2/11/2015 6:02am
lostboy819 wrote:
wildbill wrote:
At least she has the balls to come on here and spill her guts. Not everyone is as contemporary as you Eddy boy.

2/11/2015 7:45am
I started out with family on FB, which was awesome. It's an excellent way to keep up with everybody.

Now that I am friends with a majority of the people I have ever known, the fun is gone. It has become a very negative place where people bitch and bitch. It also divides people for no reason, for instance politics and religion.
Nothing like friending some dude I knew who was a kid and then being exposed to his constant political bitching. Ugh. I really don't give a shit.
SF45
2/11/2015 8:56am
I started out with family on FB, which was awesome. It's an excellent way to keep up with everybody. Now that I am friends with a...
I started out with family on FB, which was awesome. It's an excellent way to keep up with everybody.

Now that I am friends with a majority of the people I have ever known, the fun is gone. It has become a very negative place where people bitch and bitch. It also divides people for no reason, for instance politics and religion.
Nothing like friending some dude I knew who was a kid and then being exposed to his constant political bitching. Ugh. I really don't give a shit.
You can unsubscribe anyone from your feed...
2/11/2015 9:29am
Yup I was definitely outsmarted by fb.

If you make a fake email address and send it to me, I don't know how to take that and find out who you really are. Facebook does.

I'm inclined to go with the math teacher's tinfoilhat idea.
Titan1
2/11/2015 9:46am
When I first joined facebook, I was in the "be friends with anyone I've ever had a conversation with, even once in my life" mode...had hundreds and hundreds of friends...anyway, it sucked. I canned facebook for about two years.

I recently went back, but my only friends are people that I actually associate regularly and family....it is kind of my one stop for local news (I follow all the local news outlets)...and the coolest thing is the racing...our local off-road series has a page, each of the M/C's have pages...so the racing/riding discussion is my favorite part. Pictures and videos posted from races, bench racing, etc.

When I have family members friends that are constantly "sharing" stupid things, I can block them (I have a cousin that is always sharing these stupid quotes from this one particular page....I found out that I can block all things from that page, without blocking him...which is sweet.)

Brad460
Fantasy
780th
2/11/2015 10:04am Edited Date/Time 2/11/2015 10:05am
Facebook just scared the crap out of me. I don't "do" facebook. I think it's silly. I don't need to know that Gwen is feeling tired...

So you're a facebook stalker? Worse than actually joining and "friending" your friends...you anonymously/secretly check out their profiles...

You should "do" facebook for real and stop stalking..because stalking is weird TongueTongue
2/11/2015 10:51am
My brother would change the spelling of his name so people from work or other things couldn't find him and then when he went to switch his spelling back they required him to send a picture of his license to prove who he was. I would have drawn the line there.

It really does divide people. I liked it better before I knew so much about everyone on my list. I have gay people on there, black people on there, every variety but every time there is a big story in the news you have to watch what you say or the PC police will get you in trouble. That's why I like it better here. It's more anonymous.
wildbill
2/11/2015 11:01am
lostboy819 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/02/11/79911/s1200_2015_1.jpg[/img]

Haha, I resemble both of those, and that's a good example of dumb dirtbikers in general.
MX'r? You bet, let me click 4th and skim the top of these whoops. Pinch

Stephanie should have went to a public pc, w/dark glasses and a wig. Whistling

IWreckALot
2/11/2015 11:13am
Microphone, GPS, and camera (on both sides of the phone) all in one.

Slightly unrelated but I hear the phone companies are no longer allowing you to purchase your phones anymore. You essentially rent them. They're making it more and more compelling to back away from the smart phones lately.
S.Loyer
2/11/2015 12:20pm

Few ways,

IP address - Lots of info can be done by looking at an IP. (VPN's are cool)
If you clicked around friends profiles, searched for friends, it more than likely made a pattern. It's something I do implement on websites as well and its a lot like how Google knows what ads to serve you based on searches/websites.
2/11/2015 3:15pm
Brad460 wrote:
So you're a facebook stalker? Worse than actually joining and "friending" your friends...you anonymously/secretly check out their profiles... You should "do" facebook for real and stop...
So you're a facebook stalker? Worse than actually joining and "friending" your friends...you anonymously/secretly check out their profiles...

You should "do" facebook for real and stop stalking..because stalking is weird TongueTongue
Guilty as charged. Stalking via facebook is so much easier than hiding in the bushes. :^)

I read a book last year called "Breakpoint - Why the web will implode [...]". It says that for amazon, fb, google.... collecting data is their business, and the information about you is their biggest asset. Google and fb in particular are willing to give away services for free in return for your permission to collect data about you. Like Green said above, "it's happening"!
Titan1
2/11/2015 3:32pm
Brad460 wrote:
So you're a facebook stalker? Worse than actually joining and "friending" your friends...you anonymously/secretly check out their profiles... You should "do" facebook for real and stop...

Guilty as charged. Stalking via facebook is so much easier than hiding in the bushes. :^) I read a book last year called "Breakpoint - Why...
Guilty as charged. Stalking via facebook is so much easier than hiding in the bushes. :^)

I read a book last year called "Breakpoint - Why the web will implode [...]". It says that for amazon, fb, google.... collecting data is their business, and the information about you is their biggest asset. Google and fb in particular are willing to give away services for free in return for your permission to collect data about you. Like Green said above, "it's happening"!
That's how they are doing it...they keep track of who you search for, and then start suggesting those people and their friends. Mystery solved. lol
2/13/2015 5:50am
IWreckALot wrote:
Microphone, GPS, and camera (on both sides of the phone) all in one. Slightly unrelated but I hear the phone companies are no longer allowing you...
Microphone, GPS, and camera (on both sides of the phone) all in one.

Slightly unrelated but I hear the phone companies are no longer allowing you to purchase your phones anymore. You essentially rent them. They're making it more and more compelling to back away from the smart phones lately.
That's how my plan is. Thr only phones that didnt cost a ton of money were junk. I kind of want to switch to a dumb phone though. I could have paid $600 for my phone outright or my other option was to pay 20 a month for it for two years and then I can trade it in. But by the time two years is up I'm sure the phone will self destruct and it will be useless.

I always tell myself I'm going to switch to one of those Wal mart plans that are so cheap but the At&t network is amazing. I always have service.
timlake
2/13/2015 6:23am
If it wasn't for Facebook, I would never have learned how entertaining cats are.

My life is definitely better because I know how entertaining cats are.

10 points to Mr. Zuckerberg.

Facebook is clever though, but despite its scary stalker-ness, I'd rather Facebook track where I'm clicking, and show me ads that I want to see, rather than shit ones that I don't want to see.
2/13/2015 9:33am Edited Date/Time 2/13/2015 9:37am

You seartch for people on facebook, people you looked into will be suggested. Now people that are friends, or suggested to the people you looked into will be suggested to you as well. And the chain goes on and on and on...

That way you will get suggestions of people you have never searched for before.

Another thing is Skype and the classic version of skype, MSN messenger. Those companies (microsoft, google, etc) exchange data all the time. YOU are the product for those companies, not the consumer. Same with Google Adsense.

Welcome to the internet. Smile
2/13/2015 10:41am
If companies like Yahoo were looking out for your best interests they would make it easier to block junk email. Imagine how much easier it would be to read your emails f you could just click an email and select an option to block the sender
the_wood109
2/13/2015 3:49pm
You actually don't need to ever even lurk on facebook for them to mine your personal data. For example, they get most of their data from the people that have your contact information. If somebody that does uses facebook has you in their phone or email, facebook will already build an account for you and take your data without the need for you to sign up.

Another way they get it is through mobile devices like android phones. It's been a while since I've used android, but a few years ago phones would come with facebook apps that couldn't be uninstalled without rooting the device. This is because they made a deal with the carrier, basically to mine your data and sell it to advertising companies.

It's a seriously shady business, this "social media" phenomenon. Most people are pragmatic about it...just wait...this is only the tip of the iceberg.
SF45
2/13/2015 3:54pm
If companies like Yahoo were looking out for your best interests they would make it easier to block junk email. Imagine how much easier it would...
If companies like Yahoo were looking out for your best interests they would make it easier to block junk email. Imagine how much easier it would be to read your emails f you could just click an email and select an option to block the sender
You can do that with Gmail
Old-Man
2/13/2015 3:59pm
You actually don't need to ever even lurk on facebook for them to mine your personal data. For example, they get most of their data from...
You actually don't need to ever even lurk on facebook for them to mine your personal data. For example, they get most of their data from the people that have your contact information. If somebody that does uses facebook has you in their phone or email, facebook will already build an account for you and take your data without the need for you to sign up.

Another way they get it is through mobile devices like android phones. It's been a while since I've used android, but a few years ago phones would come with facebook apps that couldn't be uninstalled without rooting the device. This is because they made a deal with the carrier, basically to mine your data and sell it to advertising companies.

It's a seriously shady business, this "social media" phenomenon. Most people are pragmatic about it...just wait...this is only the tip of the iceberg.
You're on the right track. Believe that for sure Facebook is heavily used by Government agencies to track peoples lives and tendencies..hell ask any politicians adviser and I bet they contact folks of the social world to find what people are tired of, liking, and what is trending so they can say it in their speeches.

This is a world in transition and social media is on stage

Post a reply to: Facebook just scared me

The Latest