Euro Vacation

GMalzee
Edited Date/Time 2/19/2015 9:33am
I am in beginning stages of planning a family vacation to Europe (Me Wife and grade school daughter) . We will probably do the Volvo overseas delivery deal where we order a car from here, pick it up in Gothenburg Sweden and drive it around and then have them ship it back to the US.

I have spent a few months in Denmark a couple of times, and have been to Berlin, Prague, as well as Holland. The main places I want to go are southern Germany, Denmark, Norway and Sweden. The map below is roughly what I want to do and then ferry to Kristiansand Norway from Denmark and see some of Norway and Sweden.

Anybody have some suggestions?

What are the good places to go? We want to spend some time in cities but not too much.

What are the good places to see in Norway and Sweden?

Is it worth it to try and go to France / Paris?

|
71Fish
2/11/2015 10:56am
Wear American Flag shirts and talk really loud. The Germans love that.
Sunhouse
2/11/2015 12:25pm
If you go to Kristiansand, I recommend you drive west along the coast and up to Bergen. It´s a nice city and close to the fjords. A few places to see along the way too, "Preikestolen", the worlds oldest wooden stavchurches etc. It´s easy to drive from the west over the Hardanger plateau to Oslo. Sweden is only about an hour from Oslo. This trip is best to do during summer though Smile Be prepard for high prices, so driving is probably a smart thing to do, but petrol is pretty pricy as well. I´m sure JFS and Olson have some tips for you regarding Sweden Smile

You could drive up to Ålesund before going to Oslo, it´s yet another city surrounded by mountains and the sea
hvaughn88
2/11/2015 12:31pm
71Fish wrote:
Every now and then, a comment makes me really laugh. Yours did just that. Dry and snarky, I love it. By the way, it reminded of this:

J.F.S
2/11/2015 12:57pm
Are you going now or this summer?

The Shop

GMalzee
2/11/2015 1:09pm
J.F.S wrote:
Are you going now or this summer?
I don't know when yet. It could be a ways out but I would guess next Spring or Summer.
GMalzee
2/11/2015 1:30pm
Sunhouse wrote:
If you go to Kristiansand, I recommend you drive west along the coast and up to Bergen. It´s a nice city and close to the fjords...
If you go to Kristiansand, I recommend you drive west along the coast and up to Bergen. It´s a nice city and close to the fjords. A few places to see along the way too, "Preikestolen", the worlds oldest wooden stavchurches etc. It´s easy to drive from the west over the Hardanger plateau to Oslo. Sweden is only about an hour from Oslo. This trip is best to do during summer though Smile Be prepard for high prices, so driving is probably a smart thing to do, but petrol is pretty pricy as well. I´m sure JFS and Olson have some tips for you regarding Sweden Smile

You could drive up to Ålesund before going to Oslo, it´s yet another city surrounded by mountains and the sea
Those are the type of things I want to see. If we do the Volvo deal we should be able to get a decent rate on lodging. We will probably do some camping and buy a lot of groceries and make most our meals.
2/11/2015 2:00pm
Make sure you take plenty of guns and ammo apparently there is a shortage over there.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
2/11/2015 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2015 2:26pm
If your are going to Prague, I would go to Salzburg Austria, Stay a few nights at Berchtesgarden. https://www.google.com/search?q=berchtesgaden&biw=1024&bih=541&source=l…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berchtesgaden You can stay in a hotel right by the water. Take a boat ride down the lake, walk around the lake and town, tour Eagles Nest and the museum and in Salzburg take a tour of the salt mines. You could easily spend 3 amazing days in this area. Then if you are trying to make your way to Brussels, I would make sure I crossed through Luxembourg and visited the American cemetery there and pay Patton and his solders my respect. I know you are Canadian, but I'm telling you what I would do. Between Salzberg and Brussels, there are a shit load of castles and ruins. Try doing a search and finding a few you would like to see. Around Amsterdam, I would skip over to Zandvoort beach and stay a night in a hotel on the boardwalk on the North Sea. It is a neat place. https://www.google.com/search?q=zandvoort+netherlands&biw=1024&bih=541&…
GMalzee
2/11/2015 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 2/11/2015 2:56pm
If your are going to Prague, I would go to Salzburg Austria, Stay a few nights at Berchtesgarden. https://www.google.com/search?q=berchtesgaden&biw=1024&bih=541&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=l9LbVKaTAYHkgwTsyYOwCw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=1.25#imgdii=_ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berchtesgaden You can stay in a hotel...
If your are going to Prague, I would go to Salzburg Austria, Stay a few nights at Berchtesgarden. https://www.google.com/search?q=berchtesgaden&biw=1024&bih=541&source=l…
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berchtesgaden You can stay in a hotel right by the water. Take a boat ride down the lake, walk around the lake and town, tour Eagles Nest and the museum and in Salzburg take a tour of the salt mines. You could easily spend 3 amazing days in this area. Then if you are trying to make your way to Brussels, I would make sure I crossed through Luxembourg and visited the American cemetery there and pay Patton and his solders my respect. I know you are Canadian, but I'm telling you what I would do. Between Salzberg and Brussels, there are a shit load of castles and ruins. Try doing a search and finding a few you would like to see. Around Amsterdam, I would skip over to Zandvoort beach and stay a night in a hotel on the boardwalk on the North Sea. It is a neat place. https://www.google.com/search?q=zandvoort+netherlands&biw=1024&bih=541&…
The only reason I would go Brussels by is to pick up a dog so that is a maybe for me. I have spent over a week before travelling around Holland so that isn't high on my priorities. I stayed at Scheveningen which is part of Den Haag. It was pretty cool but this trip I want to do more of the castles and nature type places. Salzburg looks really cool. Is it easy to get to?
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
2/11/2015 3:32pm
I've never went to it from the north. I went there when my sister lived in northern Italy and we went up through the Alps to get there. It was a 4 lane road in places and a nice country drive in places and very beautiful all the way. There were many tunnels which I found to be cool. There was a lot to do in Salzberg. We took a tour of the salt mine and honestly it was one of the funnest things we did on the trip. There is a lot to do in the area. The lake is awesome, the boat ride on the lake is awesome. They stop in the middle and make bugle calls and let you hear the echos of the alps. If you never been to Eagles Nest, it is an absolute must. There is a restaurant there and you can eat in the room that you see on virtually any historic photo of the place. The museum is amazing. I'm kind of a history buff and I could have spent a day there. But it takes you through a small tour of displays and leads you into the war bunkers, escape routes ect. Amazing.
I absolutely love touring castles and ruins want to go to Europe for the sole purpose of touring them Germany has some awesome ones. Most I have been in were probably within a couple 100 miles of Stuttgart area. I'll try and find out some of the ones I've been to. A couple of them were totally awesome. I have been to castles during Halloween and a few of them that were having parties or raves going on. Some of them do medieval times kind of stuff. Castles are freaking awesome.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2797th
2/12/2015 1:45am
Make sure you stop by Namur whilst you're in Belgium!
71Fish
2/12/2015 6:27am
71Fish wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Every now and then, a comment makes me really laugh. Yours did just that. Dry and snarky, I love it. By the way, it reminded of...
Every now and then, a comment makes me really laugh. Yours did just that. Dry and snarky, I love it. By the way, it reminded of this:

Glad I got a laugh.

I was stationed in Germany for half of the 90's, so to a German, I had that going against me.
It used to embarass me when Americans were acting like stereotypical Americans. I could immediately pick out a group of Americans in a crowded place, not by the language I heard, but by how loud they were.

Prauge was mentioned above. Such a great city to visit. I'm lucky to have visited when they were just coming out from behind the Iron Curtain. Really cool history to see. Amsterdam is cool to, but probably not for young kids.
Dutchman
2/12/2015 2:23pm
I see you're driving through Düsseldorf, Germany. I highly suggest you visit that city since it's an beautiful medium size city which really has an German feel to it. You can take a 'HopOn HopOf' sightseeing tour which also passes through some nice looking suburbs.

https://www.duesseldorf-tourismus.de/en/city-tours/hopon-hopoff-citytou…

I go there sometimes with friends mainly to visit bars and nightclubs but it's certainly a great family place as well.
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
2/19/2015 9:33am
Just stumbled across this thread. I am from southern Germany, so if you need any help or information, don't hesitate to contact me! I am from the area north of the lake of Constance, just to give you an idea from where I am.

Post a reply to: Euro Vacation

The Latest