Earthquake alert?

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
Hell has officially frozen over. Apperently there is a new warning system in regards to early detection of earthquakes to help reduce aftermath issues, increase awareness, etc. It is is rolled out when USGS identifies an area of potential danger and harm. The warnings arent used for all of the small ones.

Oh yeah, the weird part it is that it is in Oklahoma right now. 5.1 just hit (that was felt as far away as Kansas City) with potential of bigger, more damaging quake that could happen. That would be like California in a tornado warning (I know, I know there have been exceptions but you know what I mean.

Should we all be on the lookout for guys on horseback, cats and dogs living together and locust swarms?
|
Hut
7/8/2016 8:58pm
Oklahoma has been getting more and more quakes since they started fracking
brlatm
7/8/2016 9:15pm
1. There is no "K" in Frac. As an industry guy I cringe when I see a "K" at the end.

2. The first Fracturing jobs in the the US were back in the 1940's this isn't some new technique that the oil/gas just put together within the past 10 years. Frac

3. There has always been since the 1880's documented seismic activity in Oklahoma.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/8/2016 9:18pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2016 9:30pm
kzizok wrote:
Hell has officially frozen over. Apperently there is a new warning system in regards to early detection of earthquakes to help reduce aftermath issues, increase awareness...
Hell has officially frozen over. Apperently there is a new warning system in regards to early detection of earthquakes to help reduce aftermath issues, increase awareness, etc. It is is rolled out when USGS identifies an area of potential danger and harm. The warnings arent used for all of the small ones.

Oh yeah, the weird part it is that it is in Oklahoma right now. 5.1 just hit (that was felt as far away as Kansas City) with potential of bigger, more damaging quake that could happen. That would be like California in a tornado warning (I know, I know there have been exceptions but you know what I mean.

Should we all be on the lookout for guys on horseback, cats and dogs living together and locust swarms?
Yep. But now they are getting bigger, which is a bad sign. Its to the point that they happen almost every day (but mainly small ones). Now the magnitude seems to be going up on some of them. Enough so, that geological experts have seen something worthy of issuing warnings that bigger, more damaging ones, could happen.

I was one who didnt believe the fracing theory at all. I have changed my mind.

Im sure its a long shot, but it could happen nonetheless, where everything lined up one day where tornados were delivering devastation and a damaging earthquake was happening simultaneously?
brlatm
7/8/2016 9:24pm
kzizok wrote:
Yep. But now they are getting bigger, which is a bad sign. Its to the point that they happen almost every day (but mainly small ones)...
Yep. But now they are getting bigger, which is a bad sign. Its to the point that they happen almost every day (but mainly small ones). Now the magnitude seems to be going up on some of them. Enough so, that geological experts have seen something worthy of issuing warnings that bigger, more damaging ones, could happen.

Im sure its a long shot, but it could happen nonetheless, where everything lined up one day where tornados were delivering devastation and a damaging earthquake was happening simultaneously?
I'd go more with injections wells than an actual Frac job.

The Shop

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/8/2016 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2016 9:43pm
kzizok wrote:
Yep. But now they are getting bigger, which is a bad sign. Its to the point that they happen almost every day (but mainly small ones)...

brlatm wrote:
Thats above my pay grade. Not disagreeing with you, just that I dont understand what that means. For me, I dont really care what causes them, just that they are and seem to be increasing in magnitude. Maybe Kevin Durant is to blame.

But really, I was just saying its weird to see where some earthquakes are considered enough of a potential issue that formal warnings are being used. Just the fact that Oklahoma is even on the USGS's radar is weird and foreign.
Hut
7/8/2016 9:37pm
brlatm wrote:
1. There is no "K" in Frac. As an industry guy I cringe when I see a "K" at the end. 2. The first Fracturing jobs...
1. There is no "K" in Frac. As an industry guy I cringe when I see a "K" at the end.

2. The first Fracturing jobs in the the US were back in the 1940's this isn't some new technique that the oil/gas just put together within the past 10 years. Frac

3. There has always been since the 1880's documented seismic activity in Oklahoma.

I've worked on Frac sites in ND I am familiar with the basics of the process.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/
brlatm
7/8/2016 9:43pm
Hut wrote:
I've worked on Frac sites in ND I am familiar with the basics of the process.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/research/induced/
Yes lots of injection wells up there as well, I worked there about 6 years before and during the last boom. Actually some of our greatest concerns were where exactly were we going to put production water produced by the wells.

There are a lot of people got filthy stinking rich off injection wells as well as royalties, hope you made some bookoo money up there Hut!

I'm not sure we will ever be able to really understand what actually is causing the earthquakes whether it's tectonic shifting or injection well or Frac jobs.

But what exactly good is an earthquake warning system going to do for you anyway? I guess just get under an easement or a table?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
7/8/2016 9:46pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2016 9:54pm
Yeah, I really dont know what the intention for the warnings are. Maybe just be aware?

My understanding is that the system is so new that there hasn't even been enough time to explain and educate about what the intentions are. Nonetheless, something piqued their interest.
Hut
7/8/2016 9:46pm
brlatm wrote:
Yes lots of injection wells up there as well, I worked there about 6 years before and during the last boom. Actually some of our greatest...
Yes lots of injection wells up there as well, I worked there about 6 years before and during the last boom. Actually some of our greatest concerns were where exactly were we going to put production water produced by the wells.

There are a lot of people got filthy stinking rich off injection wells as well as royalties, hope you made some bookoo money up there Hut!

I'm not sure we will ever be able to really understand what actually is causing the earthquakes whether it's tectonic shifting or injection well or Frac jobs.

But what exactly good is an earthquake warning system going to do for you anyway? I guess just get under an easement or a table?
Yep we did alright. We keep an eye on crude prices, might need to go back up dere.
brlatm
7/8/2016 9:50pm
Hut wrote:
Yep we did alright. We keep an eye on crude prices, might need to go back up dere.
No sir!!!!

I'm hoping to do 9.5 more years over here and the desert and I'm walking away.

Best of luck to you if you do go back, I don't miss the wild wild west! Jeezus the shit we saw up there is fucking shocking.
brlatm
7/8/2016 9:52pm
kzizok wrote:
Yeah, I really dont know what the intention for the warnings are. Maybe just be aware? My understanding is that the system is so new that...
Yeah, I really dont know what the intention for the warnings are. Maybe just be aware?

My understanding is that the system is so new that there hasn't even been enough time to explain and educate about what the intentions are. Nonetheless, something piqued their interest.
That's like signing Obamacare to see what's in it! Laughing
Hut
7/8/2016 9:56pm
brlatm wrote:
No sir!!!! I'm hoping to do 9.5 more years over here and the desert and I'm walking away. Best of luck to you if you do...
No sir!!!!

I'm hoping to do 9.5 more years over here and the desert and I'm walking away.

Best of luck to you if you do go back, I don't miss the wild wild west! Jeezus the shit we saw up there is fucking shocking.
Yea you ain't kidding BlinkLaughing
7/9/2016 1:58am
kzizok wrote:

brlatm wrote:
Wink
7/10/2016 8:29am
kzizok wrote:

brlatm wrote:
Injection wells in my parents county. Last earthquake was....can't remember. 1998?
Hut
7/10/2016 8:39am
kzizok wrote:

brlatm wrote:
Wink
It's all related.

Post a reply to: Earthquake alert?

The Latest