Dominican Republic..

huck
Edited Date/Time 3/28/2016 12:53pm
Any of you guys been there recently?
I'm taking the family next week (leave next Saturday) and we're staying in Cap Cana.
|
MR. X
3/9/2016 2:25pm
The engineer i work with is leaving on the 19th ,he was just telling me about how affordable it is for him and his wife to stay for a week.
huck
3/9/2016 2:36pm
MR. X wrote:
The engineer i work with is leaving on the 19th ,he was just telling me about how affordable it is for him and his wife to...
The engineer i work with is leaving on the 19th ,he was just telling me about how affordable it is for him and his wife to stay for a week.
That's when we're leaving too...

Our place is right on the beach. Has it's only jaccuzzi on it's balcony and is 2 bed/2bath.

This whole trip was less than just the airfare to Hawaii. I'm looking forward to it, as there are a lot of cool things to do...atv's, zip lines, adventure....

MR. X
3/9/2016 2:41pm
Ill have to ask him where they decided to go , he was asking a woman at work who is from there ,what area they should go to.

The Shop

Uncle Tony
3/9/2016 4:46pm
One of the girls I work with just got back said it was awesome!
APLMAN99
3/9/2016 4:57pm
Be sure and visit Chico Escuela.......

brlatm
3/9/2016 9:16pm
I'm headed there Monday morning early from here in Saudia and meeting the wife and kids at our place there. I go to Puerto Plata though on the north side of the island. Cap Cana is nice, the golf course just down the road in Punta Espada is the nicest course I have ever played. The ride to the zip line over there on that side is about 2-2.5 hours away as that side of the island is very flat. The safari's though by Outback Adventure are kinda cool, if you like seeing life in the campo and the way of life.

Enjoy the time, I know I am ready for Toes in the water, ass in that sand, not this sand.
huck
3/10/2016 6:37am
brlatm wrote:
I'm headed there Monday morning early from here in Saudia and meeting the wife and kids at our place there. I go to Puerto Plata though...
I'm headed there Monday morning early from here in Saudia and meeting the wife and kids at our place there. I go to Puerto Plata though on the north side of the island. Cap Cana is nice, the golf course just down the road in Punta Espada is the nicest course I have ever played. The ride to the zip line over there on that side is about 2-2.5 hours away as that side of the island is very flat. The safari's though by Outback Adventure are kinda cool, if you like seeing life in the campo and the way of life.

Enjoy the time, I know I am ready for Toes in the water, ass in that sand, not this sand.
Cool. That's what I like to hear. I'm taking the family, so no golf (I don't want them to be bored/I want to spend family time).

We definitely want to do some ATV/Safari type excursions. We've heard that Scape Park is pretty cool.
brlatm
3/10/2016 7:03am
Outback

There is Outback, a good friend of mine Phil owns it and works his ass off to provide quality service to everyone.

I just looked up Scape park that does look pretty cool, I haven't been there yet. It's like a 7 hour drive over to that side of the island so I don't go over that way much when there.

A day trip to Isla Catalina is nice as well, its one of those booze cruise things and they feed you on the beach. They took us past all the big name celebs houses there in Casa De Campo to show you how the real rich bastards live.

Enjoy the trip and it should be awesome weather! And especially enjoy and ice cold Presidente!
Flesh206
3/10/2016 7:22am
I was in Punta Cana last year. Beautiful there but I just didn't vibe with it because outside the resort is nothing but ghetto. Being outside your own country in a place like this, I want to be able to explore beyond the resort and here it's just not that way. I won't ever be going back.
huck
3/10/2016 7:23am
brlatm wrote:
[url=http://www.outbacksafari.com.do/]Outback[/url] There is Outback, a good friend of mine Phil owns it and works his ass off to provide quality service to everyone. I just looked...
Outback

There is Outback, a good friend of mine Phil owns it and works his ass off to provide quality service to everyone.

I just looked up Scape park that does look pretty cool, I haven't been there yet. It's like a 7 hour drive over to that side of the island so I don't go over that way much when there.

A day trip to Isla Catalina is nice as well, its one of those booze cruise things and they feed you on the beach. They took us past all the big name celebs houses there in Casa De Campo to show you how the real rich bastards live.

Enjoy the trip and it should be awesome weather! And especially enjoy and ice cold Presidente!
Cool, we'll check out Outback.
Thanks for the information.
huck
3/10/2016 7:24am
Flesh206 wrote:
I was in Punta Cana last year. Beautiful there but I just didn't vibe with it because outside the resort is nothing but ghetto. Being outside...
I was in Punta Cana last year. Beautiful there but I just didn't vibe with it because outside the resort is nothing but ghetto. Being outside your own country in a place like this, I want to be able to explore beyond the resort and here it's just not that way. I won't ever be going back.
I've heard it's pretty '3rd world' outside of the resort areas...but I'm up for a little adventure.
Flesh206
3/10/2016 7:35am
Flesh206 wrote:
I was in Punta Cana last year. Beautiful there but I just didn't vibe with it because outside the resort is nothing but ghetto. Being outside...
huck wrote:
I've heard it's pretty '3rd world' outside of the resort areas...but I'm up for a little adventure.
By all means I hope you have fun. Just wasn't for me.
brlatm
3/10/2016 8:01am
Flesh206 wrote:
huck wrote:
Flesh206 wrote:
I've traveled all over that island with my wife and kids in tow, we never were the stay on resort type either. It's a third world country and when you leave the resort it's dirt ass cheap to buy things and get stuff done. Motorcycle has a flat, pull into the local shop and for about $5 you get it changed and a new tube in it. Water for $.18 in the store for a bottle. it's not for everyone, but if your up for adventure and seeing really cool places it sure beats some of the other countries I have been in.
huck
3/10/2016 8:45am
huck wrote:
Flesh206 wrote:
brlatm wrote:
I've traveled all over that island with my wife and kids in tow, we never were the stay on resort type either. It's a third world...
I've traveled all over that island with my wife and kids in tow, we never were the stay on resort type either. It's a third world country and when you leave the resort it's dirt ass cheap to buy things and get stuff done. Motorcycle has a flat, pull into the local shop and for about $5 you get it changed and a new tube in it. Water for $.18 in the store for a bottle. it's not for everyone, but if your up for adventure and seeing really cool places it sure beats some of the other countries I have been in.
That's exactly what I'm looking for...for a couple reasons. We normally go to the highly traveled tourist places and i want something different. And my kids are 13 and 17...so I want to show them how incredibly fortunate they are.
brlatm
3/10/2016 9:27am
huck wrote:
That's exactly what I'm looking for...for a couple reasons. We normally go to the highly traveled tourist places and i want something different. And my kids...
That's exactly what I'm looking for...for a couple reasons. We normally go to the highly traveled tourist places and i want something different. And my kids are 13 and 17...so I want to show them how incredibly fortunate they are.
My kids are the exact same age, if you want a cool day road trip rent a car and drive to Las Terranas and Samana. The views on the toll road are just priceless. Do not speed though! My wife got pulled over coming to Santo Domingo to pick me up and she played the dumb white chick I don't speak Spanish deal. She actually handed the cop her Concealed Carry License! He didn't know the difference.

We moved down there for the 2 years for the same reasons you state, to show our kids how fortunate they really are. Some people like to lay on the beach and have a waiter bring them fruity drinks and think that is the way of living in a place like that, sadly it's not. It's going to the store or the insurance agent or hardware store and trying to find parts to fix a door or window. But it's sure is nice though to go down to the beach and have a lady give you a 1 hour massage for $15.

Don't be afraid to step off grid, go out and see stuff. Just be mindful of wearing flashy jewelry and never leave the house with more than maybe $100 in your wallet. Also do not use the fucking money change people in the airport, it's a fucking ripoff of about 18-20%.

Enjoy!!!!
huck
3/10/2016 11:24am
huck wrote:
That's exactly what I'm looking for...for a couple reasons. We normally go to the highly traveled tourist places and i want something different. And my kids...
brlatm wrote:
My kids are the exact same age, if you want a cool day road trip rent a car and drive to Las Terranas and Samana. The...
My kids are the exact same age, if you want a cool day road trip rent a car and drive to Las Terranas and Samana. The views on the toll road are just priceless. Do not speed though! My wife got pulled over coming to Santo Domingo to pick me up and she played the dumb white chick I don't speak Spanish deal. She actually handed the cop her Concealed Carry License! He didn't know the difference.

We moved down there for the 2 years for the same reasons you state, to show our kids how fortunate they really are. Some people like to lay on the beach and have a waiter bring them fruity drinks and think that is the way of living in a place like that, sadly it's not. It's going to the store or the insurance agent or hardware store and trying to find parts to fix a door or window. But it's sure is nice though to go down to the beach and have a lady give you a 1 hour massage for $15.

Don't be afraid to step off grid, go out and see stuff. Just be mindful of wearing flashy jewelry and never leave the house with more than maybe $100 in your wallet. Also do not use the fucking money change people in the airport, it's a fucking ripoff of about 18-20%.

Enjoy!!!!
Awesome. I'll keep you posted how it goes.
Sully
3/10/2016 4:30pm
I just watched an episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations that he did from down there. The places he went looked really cool, and the food looked fantastic, especially the fried fish he had from a little stand on the beach.
3/12/2016 9:18am
Flesh206 wrote:
All those Caribbean destinations are like that. Dirt shit poor off the resort.
Jack mehoff
3/13/2016 1:15pm
Flesh206 wrote:
brlatm wrote:
I've traveled all over that island with my wife and kids in tow, we never were the stay on resort type either. It's a third world...
huck wrote:
Huck don't wounder two far the other side off the island is Hattie
Jack mehoff
3/13/2016 1:19pm
Flesh206 wrote:
All those Caribbean destinations are like that. Dirt shit poor off the resort.
Not all off them , Aruba , st martain , st kits,st Thomas I have no problem walking around
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
3/13/2016 1:22pm
Things I learned today: Need to take a vacation to Dominican Republic.
huck
3/14/2016 6:05am
Tiki wrote:
It's your birthday...go for it! Happy birthday!
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
3/14/2016 3:32pm
Tiki wrote:
huck wrote:
It's your birthday...go for it! Happy birthday!
Thanks!
PalerBlue
3/15/2016 9:50am
I just got back on Saturday from Mauritius and I'm here to tell you that beautiful scenery, fabulous white sandy beaches, turquoise seas and great hotels don't have to go hand in hand with grinding poverty. The locals were not rich by any standard but it was so much better than the carribean. Oh and if any of you guys does go, you'll probably be the only American you'll meet.

P.S. Vacation stuff to one side, it's worth going there just to see the Giant Tortoises, truly unbelievable!

Some of the views from my hotel there

3/15/2016 10:22am
PalerBlue wrote:
I just got back on Saturday from Mauritius and I'm here to tell you that beautiful scenery, fabulous white sandy beaches, turquoise seas and great hotels...
I just got back on Saturday from Mauritius and I'm here to tell you that beautiful scenery, fabulous white sandy beaches, turquoise seas and great hotels don't have to go hand in hand with grinding poverty. The locals were not rich by any standard but it was so much better than the carribean. Oh and if any of you guys does go, you'll probably be the only American you'll meet.

P.S. Vacation stuff to one side, it's worth going there just to see the Giant Tortoises, truly unbelievable!

Thats a long haul from the states though. The Caribbean and Central America are just a few hours from Miami or Houston. Mauritius, the Maldives, and the Seychelles are bucket list destinations for sure just little far from the good ole USA.
huck
3/15/2016 11:10am
PalerBlue wrote:
I just got back on Saturday from Mauritius and I'm here to tell you that beautiful scenery, fabulous white sandy beaches, turquoise seas and great hotels...

wow. Looks super awesome. Isn't that off of Africa?
PalerBlue
3/15/2016 12:10pm
huck wrote:
Awesome. I'll keep you posted how it goes.
Yep. The next island out from Madagascar.
brlatm
3/15/2016 2:59pm

Cheers boys from the back porch, man life's good today!
PalerBlue
3/16/2016 12:39am
Thats a long haul from the states though. The Caribbean and Central America are just a few hours from Miami or Houston. Mauritius, the Maldives, and...
Thats a long haul from the states though. The Caribbean and Central America are just a few hours from Miami or Houston. Mauritius, the Maldives, and the Seychelles are bucket list destinations for sure just little far from the good ole USA.
We did Costa Rica last Feb' also fabulous, especially for the wildlife, also a bit better off than the carribean. Pretty much all of these places are about 11-12 hours away from us, so much of a muchness in travel costs. However over here most travel is done through companies who do all the booking of flights and accommodation for you. It is cheaper and the agencies are financially responsible for any problems on the whole trip.

Thinking about Bali in Sept this year (or probably next) meeting up with my son, who's now living in Australia.

There's also a nice hotel in Zihuatanejo I want to get to before too long but that means staying in Mexico city between flights and I'm not too sure how I feel about that! Probably it would be fine as long as we don't do anything stupid.

Post a reply to: Dominican Republic..

The Latest