Dog Food

BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
Edited Date/Time 5/13/2015 8:48pm
I know there are a lot of dog owners here and am curious as to what you feed your pal(s). My labradoodle Tank has been having some skin irritation lately and the research tells me that it is the brewers yeast in his food. I am going to change his diet and monitor the results. So, what does your buddy eat?

|
MR. X
5/11/2015 8:44am
I usually mix 2 bags together. I'll usually use a bag of blue wilderness poultry and a bag of another brand I can't remember the name ,that one is salmon and the switch seemed to cure his itchy skin. He was getting alot of upset stomach so I switched to poultry instead of red meat . Both are grain free.
71Fish
5/11/2015 9:47am
IAMS has a line called "Naturals" that we give our dog. She kept getting itch ear infections. The vet suspected she is allergic to chicken. The IAMS Natural Salmon has zero chicken or chicken byproducts found in most other foods.
motofab36
5/11/2015 9:55am
My Boston Terrier has always had terrible skin problems. Last fall we started him on Taste Of The Wild, it's grain free. I also at the same time started using Dinovite. I swear by this stuff, my little buddy is 9 years old and has never looked or felt better. http://www.dinovite.com/dinovite-products
Hut
5/11/2015 10:01am
We have 2 American Bulldogs. One has a sensitive stomach and the other has food allergies. After much trial and error we feed the male (with sensitive stomach) "Nature's Domain" grain free salmon meal and sweet potato from Costco. We usually add a little chicken broth. He does very well with it.
http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

We feed the female "Brother's Complete" Lamb and egg advanced allergy care dog food. She loves it and no more allergies.
http://www.brotherscomplete.com/PRODUCT-LIST/LAMB-EGG-ALLERGY.html

The Shop

motogeezer
5/11/2015 10:31am
My dog suffered from rashes and diarrhea until we put her on the Salmon & Sweet potato food.

She's been itch-free ever since, and her shits are way easier to pick up.

IWreckALot
5/11/2015 10:34am
With larger breed dogs, I try to find a dog food that has protein levels no greater than 24%, and fat levels between 12% to 14%. I have a great dane and I found a local feed store that has a premium dog food for cheaper than other premiums I've found. The IAMS naturals is what I started her on but I switched once she got past the puppy stage. I believe the Blue Buffalo is a premium dog food and they support the industry. I haven't had to deal with any food allergies with my pups.
Grieby54
5/11/2015 1:06pm
Blue Buffalo Natural Evolutionary Diet. Mine is hypoallergenic and had ear infections, itchy skin, etc... until we got him on the good food.
Foghorn
5/11/2015 1:17pm
My Newfoundland eats Ziwipeak dehydrated raw. Pricey, but he loves it and has had zero health issues so far. Touch wood.

MR. X
5/11/2015 1:32pm
Foghorn wrote:
My Newfoundland eats Ziwipeak dehydrated raw. Pricey, but he loves it and has had zero health issues so far. Touch wood.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/11/90738/s1200_IMG_1113.jpg[/img]
My Newfoundland eats Ziwipeak dehydrated raw. Pricey, but he loves it and has had zero health issues so far. Touch wood.

Is that still a puppy? His shits must weigh 5 pounds each !
The Rock
5/11/2015 1:36pm
Grieby54 wrote:
Blue Buffalo Natural Evolutionary Diet. Mine is hypoallergenic and had ear infections, itchy skin, etc... until we got him on the good food.
Right on and thanks for the Blue Buffalo boost. My cat Andy used to eat Science Diet but I switched him to Blue Buffalo all natural. I mixed the two together for a couple of weeks to transition him and now he chows down on Blue Buffalo.
71Fish
5/11/2015 1:58pm
A lot of people like Blue Buffalo I see. We tried it with our dog, but it is so high in fiber she was shitting all the time. When she wasn't shitting, she thought she had to shit from the pressure. A lot of the patients at my wife's vet clinic have the same issue.
prillernut
5/11/2015 3:34pm
We've had Greater Swiss Mountain Dogs since '96, and I've got some strong feelings about dog food. Fresh raw is probably optimal, but we're currently feeding Castor & Pollux kibble. We did Solid Gold for a while with our previous Swissy, til we got a bad bag. Whatever you do, check into the ingredients. For starters, I've relied upon this in the past to help sort it out -
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
5/11/2015 3:54pm
I feel bad for you guys.

Our pooch eats Purina Dog Chow. Eats it and displays no digestive or skin issues.

S.Loyer
5/11/2015 4:25pm
Our little guy gets Blue Buffalo Life Protection formula.
He was getting real bad skin irritants with his past food, switched and seems to be handling it good.

DPR250R
5/11/2015 5:39pm
Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream Formula

13 year old cocker with every allergy and ailment you can imagine. He does the best on this food.

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
5/11/2015 6:07pm
I have a old mutt that had skin issues from a early age. After a few years a local vet told me to try Gravy Train. It fixed him up and he always cleans his bowl. Cheap stuff also!
Electro21
Fantasy
75th
5/11/2015 7:13pm
We use the Costco brand dog food and mix in Dinovite. Really helped with shedding with our Husky.
Foghorn
5/11/2015 7:34pm
Foghorn wrote:
My Newfoundland eats Ziwipeak dehydrated raw. Pricey, but he loves it and has had zero health issues so far. Touch wood.[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/05/11/90738/s1200_IMG_1113.jpg[/img]

MR. X wrote:
Is that still a puppy? His shits must weigh 5 pounds each !
He was 11 months in this pic. Has about 50 lbs to go to hit 180 or so that his dad weighs. They aren't fully grown till about 3 years and yeah, I empty a huge bucket of turds every week.
G-man
5/12/2015 9:31pm
Hut wrote:
We have 2 American Bulldogs. One has a sensitive stomach and the other has food allergies. After much trial and error we feed the male (with...
We have 2 American Bulldogs. One has a sensitive stomach and the other has food allergies. After much trial and error we feed the male (with sensitive stomach) "Nature's Domain" grain free salmon meal and sweet potato from Costco. We usually add a little chicken broth. He does very well with it.
http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

We feed the female "Brother's Complete" Lamb and egg advanced allergy care dog food. She loves it and no more allergies.
http://www.brotherscomplete.com/PRODUCT-LIST/LAMB-EGG-ALLERGY.html

Hut,
A couple questions regarding your male with the sensitive stomach.

What are the symptoms?
Are American Bulldog's sensitive to heat and do they pant a lot?

Bailey's dad is a dark Weimaraner and mom is an American Bulldog.

I tried 4 different premium dog foods and every time she would end up with loose stools cow pie type we finally ended up giving her raw dog food that a friend makes and sells to us and it solved the issue.

but its a lot of work dividing it up and gets expensive so we started to also use some dry dog food that someone told us about Canadey grain free and I feed it to her after the raw dog food and she's been doing really good

Seems like she eats whatever she can in the back yard though so that doesn't help

did you ever try raw dog food I might have to look into the Costco stuff.

Thanks

AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
5/12/2015 9:43pm
Blue Buffalo Chicken and Brown Rice for my 18 month old, Boykin Spaniel. When we first switched him from Purina to Blue, he had the worst gas for a few weeks as his system adjusted to a better, grain-free food.

He loves it. Better stools and he eats it up. We free feed (always a full bowl) and he eats less as compared with the previous feed, has more energy and craps less.

Blue costs more than the previous Purina feed, but I think it evens out on the daily consumption side being less.

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
5/12/2015 10:12pm
Blue Buffalo for a good while and later found out they sponsor moto so bonus.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/12/2015 10:24pm
IAMS lambs meal and rice, fed all my Dobies the same for the last 20 years.

sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
5/12/2015 11:28pm
I feel lucky, the mutt we have right now gets Nutro Max adult food, plus table scraps from every meal. Whatever we eat, he gets some.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/13/2015 12:11am
sumdood wrote:
I feel lucky, the mutt we have right now gets Nutro Max adult food, plus table scraps from every meal. Whatever we eat, he gets some...
I feel lucky, the mutt we have right now gets Nutro Max adult food, plus table scraps from every meal. Whatever we eat, he gets some.

I have a Mafia dog also , no matter what I get, she gets a taste.
Hut
5/13/2015 12:20am
G-man wrote:
Hut, A couple questions regarding your male with the sensitive stomach. What are the symptoms? Are American Bulldog's sensitive to heat and do they pant a...
Hut,
A couple questions regarding your male with the sensitive stomach.

What are the symptoms?
Are American Bulldog's sensitive to heat and do they pant a lot?

Bailey's dad is a dark Weimaraner and mom is an American Bulldog.

I tried 4 different premium dog foods and every time she would end up with loose stools cow pie type we finally ended up giving her raw dog food that a friend makes and sells to us and it solved the issue.

but its a lot of work dividing it up and gets expensive so we started to also use some dry dog food that someone told us about Canadey grain free and I feed it to her after the raw dog food and she's been doing really good

Seems like she eats whatever she can in the back yard though so that doesn't help

did you ever try raw dog food I might have to look into the Costco stuff.

Thanks

When he eats the wrong food he gets the runs real bad. They will eat anything though and are overall healthy with the right food. Our ABs do not like high heat and humidity, they will slow way down unless it is near water then they like to swim.

We tried a lot of different foods and that Nature's Domain Salmon from Costco seems to do the trick for our Tater. The female gets ear infections and itchy feet and chin unless we give her the high dollar stuff.
G-man
5/13/2015 7:13pm
Thanks for the reply Hut this is the dog food that I supplement with the raw food for Bailey.

might have to try the Costco brand next batch.

and yes for the guys who don't have to worry about what they feed their dogs I miss those days as Bailey is my sixth dog and the first one who has had sensitive stomach issues

She's worth it though as she is a really good dog so far at 19 months.

5/13/2015 8:45pm
sumdood wrote:
I feel lucky, the mutt we have right now gets Nutro Max adult food, plus table scraps from every meal. Whatever we eat, he gets some...

Step down triple. .braaap.
Hut
5/13/2015 8:48pm
G-man wrote:
Thanks for the reply Hut this is the dog food that I supplement with the raw food for Bailey. might have to try the Costco brand...
Thanks for the reply Hut this is the dog food that I supplement with the raw food for Bailey.

might have to try the Costco brand next batch.

and yes for the guys who don't have to worry about what they feed their dogs I miss those days as Bailey is my sixth dog and the first one who has had sensitive stomach issues

She's worth it though as she is a really good dog so far at 19 months.

I forgot to mention that we never did try the raw food diet.
Dogs are family Cool

Post a reply to: Dog Food

The Latest