Dealerships & Mechanic's Liens...

I recently took my MV Agusta into the dealership where I bought it to get some basic service work done.

I had ordered some special parts about a month in advance of dropping the bike off. They didnt order any of the part and so thus they didnt have them in stock when I dropped the bike off.

The one item they did have was a GPS device for in case the bike was ever stolen. I paid (in cash) to have it installed.

After several weeks of them not being able to get the special parts I had ordered, I just said "fuck it" and let me have my bike back as is, I'll get the parts from another MV dealership. Before giving me the bike they wanted to make sure that the GPS was properly functioning.

Not only was it not working, but all my data had been erased from the online software that tracks the bike. It was like my account didnt exist.

I contacted the GPS company to troubleshoot and they said there was no problem on their end that they could see all my information. I repeatedly asked them what they could see, they wouldnt tell me, and eventually ended the online tech support prematurely. Needless to say I was pretty damn pissed off at this point.

I contacted the dealer, who still had my bike, sent him over the transcript of the customer support chat as evidence of the shitty customer service, and told him that if this is how the company operates now, I'd hate to have to deal with them in the event my bike comes up missing. I wanted the GPS device removed immediately. I dont want the device. I want a refund. Better yet, just credit me the $700 the GPS cost towards the $500 in service work I had done and let's call it a wash. I said I'd eat the $200 for their troubles.

Service manager at the dealership said he'd handle it. He hasnt.

Ive been calling every week for 3 weeks now, each time getting the runaround about how the dealer cant just give me a refund. Even tho he admitted they could just remove the GPS and sell it to the next schmuck (they apparently sell these quite frequently). But here we are, at a stalemate. They dont want the GPS back and I dont want anything to do with it either. And I owe them $500 for the service work.

How would any of you handle this situation? Do I have any legal recourse or am I just fucked on this? The GPS was not a special order part. It's something they stock in-house. Im not sure why it's a problem for them to remove it and give me a refund and Ive been given no explanation other than the buck being passed onto the GPS manufacturer. Ultimately, they have possession of my bike and I paid cash so it's not like I can fight this thru my credit card.
|
jpc63
9/13/2016 12:35pm
Could be diff wherever you're at but usually just go to clerk of court with their invoice & post a bond in that amount. They'll issue cert saying to release the vehicle & where I'm at anyway, they have 60 days to file suit against you to collect that bond. Prob cost them more than they stand to gain.
9/13/2016 12:41pm
jpc63 wrote:
Could be diff wherever you're at but usually just go to clerk of court with their invoice & post a bond in that amount. They'll issue...
Could be diff wherever you're at but usually just go to clerk of court with their invoice & post a bond in that amount. They'll issue cert saying to release the vehicle & where I'm at anyway, they have 60 days to file suit against you to collect that bond. Prob cost them more than they stand to gain.
Solid advice. I'll look into that. Thank you.

Post a reply to: Dealerships & Mechanic's Liens...

The Latest