"Das Boot"

jtomasik
12/28/2013 9:28am Edited Date/Time 12/30/2013 9:44am
Giving my bath a shower remodel for Christmas (how I spent my Christmas vacation....). Decided to plumb in a rain head and a few jacuzzi jets....the plumbing cracked me up. I was gonna post it last night taking bets whether it'd leak or not (I would've bet against me), but amazingly, it doesn't....lol. I'll still be wearing a flak jacket the first few times I shower; I don't trust me.

|
CR250Rider
12/28/2013 9:45am
I remodeled my basement bathroom last april. Slab on grade, rented a concrete saw, cut out a big piece of the floor and moved the shower drain and the toilet drain. It's nice to see real copper tubing! I cheated and used PEX on the new supply lines..

Is the laundry room behind the shower there?
jtomasik
12/28/2013 9:52am Edited Date/Time 12/28/2013 9:52am
Yeah. Fuggin' dryer vent eating up my wall space. Eh, needed a shelf to put shower stuff on anyway...just build around it...lol. Thought about PEX, but the plumbing fixture company said their new stuff should be plumbed with copper and not plastic. I think that's bullshit, but, eh, what the fuck. I dig those shark bite fittings. Was gonna use them all over the place, but haven't sweated pipe in awhile (as you can see), and I wanted to brush up on that anyway. Kinda fun.

Gotta get my ass back in there keep going. Gonna lay in the ceiling and hardi-backer up to a foot or so off the floor, then have to trowel in the first layer of sand mix for my pan before I can call it a night.
CR250Rider
12/28/2013 11:29am
1 gallon wasn't enough and the big price break was at 5 gallons.

CR250Rider
12/28/2013 11:34am
You've got to move that drier exhaust and use metal ducting pipe. That is a fire waiting to happen!

The Shop

Markout
12/28/2013 12:03pm
CR250Rider wrote:
You've got to move that drier exhaust and use metal ducting pipe. That is a fire waiting to happen!
I agree, you can't leave that dryer vent like that. I think it's also illegal to have hydro outlets that close to the water line, at least it is here.
jtomasik
12/28/2013 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2013 12:16pm
CR250Rider wrote:
Markout wrote:
I agree, you can't leave that dryer vent like that. I think it's also illegal to have hydro outlets that close to the water line, at...
I agree, you can't leave that dryer vent like that. I think it's also illegal to have hydro outlets that close to the water line, at least it is here.
Looks like an original install....but I guess I'll have to figure out how to modify it. The vent goes through the downstairs ceiling. Probably modify it from down there. Thanks for the head's up.

Whaddya mean by "hydro outlets that close to the water line"? Do you mean the electrical outlet? It's dead...220V that I disconnected and now use that fuse as power to my AC/DC source in the garage.

This old house is full of 'interesting' modifications. Been going through bit-by-bit and trying to correct what I can.
CR250Rider
12/28/2013 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2013 12:27pm
Before

PEX

Finished!!!

Markout
12/28/2013 12:35pm
jtomasik wrote:
Looks like an original install....but I guess I'll have to figure out how to modify it. The vent goes through the downstairs ceiling. Probably modify it...
Looks like an original install....but I guess I'll have to figure out how to modify it. The vent goes through the downstairs ceiling. Probably modify it from down there. Thanks for the head's up.

Whaddya mean by "hydro outlets that close to the water line"? Do you mean the electrical outlet? It's dead...220V that I disconnected and now use that fuse as power to my AC/DC source in the garage.

This old house is full of 'interesting' modifications. Been going through bit-by-bit and trying to correct what I can.
Yes, that's what I meant. No problem if you have it disconnected, continue on, and good luck. Post some pics when you get further along.
jtomasik
12/28/2013 12:38pm
jtomasik wrote:
Looks like an original install....but I guess I'll have to figure out how to modify it. The vent goes through the downstairs ceiling. Probably modify it...

Markout wrote:
Yes, that's what I meant. No problem if you have it disconnected, continue on, and good luck. Post some pics when you get further along.
Will do. Thanks for the input. Holy shit....a productive thread in non-moto. Somebody's gonna get clicked! LOL
jtomasik
12/29/2013 9:55am
Snapping 1/2" non-perf hardiebacker is a pain. Been trapping the pieces between two 2x4's, and often have to score it both sides to get a good line. Any new tricks/tools that make this a breeze, without creating a ton of cutting dust (my garage is taking a beating....lol)?

Also, any new tools you ran across to make the tiling portion easier, lemme know. I've only done one shower pan but about, oh, 8-10 tile and granite jobs in the past, so I'm not completely clueless. But, with all of the new tools coming out, maybe there's some new stuff/techniques available, especially since I don't do this daily for a living....so I don't see this stuff everyday.
XXVoid MainXX
12/29/2013 10:06am
CR250Rider wrote:
Before [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/12/28/40245/s1200_basement_bathroom_before_Medium.jpg[/img] PEX [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/12/28/40247/s1200_new_plumbing_Medium.jpg[/img] Finished!!! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/12/28/40248/s1200_basement_bathroom_after_Large.jpg[/img]
Before

PEX

Finished!!!

I've been wanting to remodel my bathroom for a long time now. What's a job like that run if you do it yourself and what am I looking at in the PEX picture? I just don't know if I want to tackle something like that though. The extent of my experience in doing something like this is 2 years of construction trades classes back in high school where we built 2 houses (one each year). That was a long time ago though. Smile
MaxPower
12/29/2013 11:15am
You can handle it Void. Id offer my cheap advice if you need it to help you get it done. I someone that uses Windows can remodel a bath it will be easy as pie for you
XXVoid MainXX
12/29/2013 12:17pm
Thanks Max! I think laziness is another factor I'm struggling with. Smile If I had 2 full baths I would have tackled this a long time ago. Only having one bath I was trying to figure out how I could do it with minimal amount of down time. The other thing I toyed with was turning my other half bath into a full bath so we would have someplace to shower when remodeling the full bath. The half bath is in the lower level though and I'm not sure what I would have to do for drains in the concrete floor. I assume I would have to bust up some concrete and do some sewer plumbing work.
kongols
12/29/2013 12:29pm
Nice job, CR250Rider! Really nice.
jtomasik
12/29/2013 1:10pm
Void, sounds like a heckuva job you'd have on your hands, with no full second bath to rely on. However, contractors aren't necessarily any faster, and in some (many?) cases, much, much slower. Lots of situations where they rip people off, too. If there's any way of piece-mealing it, that might be one way to tackle the task. That's kinda what I'm doing in this situation. I knew I only had time to just do the shower during my "vacation", so that's all I tackled. I'll hit the rest of the bathroom next time I get some bandwidth.

By doing it a little at a time, it'll give you time to warm up your skills. Just think ahead so you don't ruin your new work by working on your old stuff. And, post here. There are lots of guys who can offer good advice.

Or, you can call these guys:

hjacks.com

Laughing
MaxPower
12/29/2013 5:16pm
I left out of my last post that I think cr250riders bath came out really good.
How long start to finish?

Void,Cutting into a slab isn't really all that big of a deal as long as the concrete isn't 8" thick ( it most likely isn't ). Probably 3 1/2 to 4" is normal. A garage slab is usually 3 1/2 to 6" thick. You don't need to get a concrete saw. Get a diamond or concrete blade for your friends circular saw ( you don't want to trash yours out do you?) . You can have the boy or your wife with a hose keeping the concrete wet as you run the saw to keep dust down and cool the blade. Have the shop vac there to catch some of the water. Or dry cut with the shop vac catching the dust off the saw. Then take a sledge (12lb-16lb) and pound the snot out of it. Once you get through it gets easier. A concrete saw makes the job easier .
The Laziness I have no advice for. If you do find out what do do for it let me know. I have issues with it myself.
XXVoid MainXX
12/29/2013 6:59pm
I actually had a pop a hole in the concrete a few years ago when I put a sump pump in. That was just in my garage section but I made a hell of a mess with the dust. Smile It worked out fine though. It would be the plumbing piece that I would be nervous about more than anything.
CR250Rider
12/29/2013 10:38pm
about a grand in tile.
shower doors were the cheap homedepot ones for $300
Vanity was $250, toilet was $100
pex tube, fittings and clamps were $600
new door was $75

a day demo-ing it
3 days for getting the saw and cutting the floor, taking the saw back, roto-ing he old slab and installing the stub steel..pouring the concrete, letting it setup overnight. tile took me and my buddy 3 days. building the showerpan took a day. new supply lines were 6 hours.

Actually I remodeled my entire rental house. took almost 3 months. spent $38,000, increased value 200k. sold a 1680 sq foot house for $450k .. I had 3 offers after the first day with an escalation clause that bid it up 25k
new plumbing throughout, moved the elec panel to a more convenient location (had that done by a contractor), new deck, all new windows, new doors. new kitchen, stripped to the studs.
took down trees, landscaped.
CR250Rider
12/29/2013 10:44pm
MaxPower wrote:
I left out of my last post that I think cr250riders bath came out really good. How long start to finish? Void,Cutting into a slab isn't...
I left out of my last post that I think cr250riders bath came out really good.
How long start to finish?

Void,Cutting into a slab isn't really all that big of a deal as long as the concrete isn't 8" thick ( it most likely isn't ). Probably 3 1/2 to 4" is normal. A garage slab is usually 3 1/2 to 6" thick. You don't need to get a concrete saw. Get a diamond or concrete blade for your friends circular saw ( you don't want to trash yours out do you?) . You can have the boy or your wife with a hose keeping the concrete wet as you run the saw to keep dust down and cool the blade. Have the shop vac there to catch some of the water. Or dry cut with the shop vac catching the dust off the saw. Then take a sledge (12lb-16lb) and pound the snot out of it. Once you get through it gets easier. A concrete saw makes the job easier .
The Laziness I have no advice for. If you do find out what do do for it let me know. I have issues with it myself.
I rented that badass saw.... $70 for the saw for 6 hours. cutting that slab was not easy or fun. Get the big tool! get-er-done!

my concrete was about 5 inches thick.

I'm not aware of any way to "dry cut" concrete. you must use water and it's still a horrible dusty mess. use eye protection and masks.

I'm traveling right now and the rest of my pics are on my big computer at home
CR250Rider
12/29/2013 10:50pm
Void: this is the demo'd bathroom, with the new PEX pipes roughed in. Did the "branch and run" as opposed to using a manifold.
laundry room on left, upstairs bathroom is above the basement bathroom

kongols
12/29/2013 10:55pm
CR250Rider wrote:
I rented that badass saw.... $70 for the saw for 6 hours. cutting that slab was not easy or fun. Get the big tool! get-er-done! my...
I rented that badass saw.... $70 for the saw for 6 hours. cutting that slab was not easy or fun. Get the big tool! get-er-done!

my concrete was about 5 inches thick.

I'm not aware of any way to "dry cut" concrete. you must use water and it's still a horrible dusty mess. use eye protection and masks.

I'm traveling right now and the rest of my pics are on my big computer at home
If you want you can use diamond blade for dry cutting. There is a wide range of blades available. It all depends on a diamonds used. If it's dry cutting blade they use soft diamond and if it's for wet they use harder diamonds. But if you use harder diamonds for dry cutting you will burn the blade and cutting will be a nightmare.
CR250Rider
12/29/2013 10:57pm
jtomasik wrote:
Snapping 1/2" non-perf hardiebacker is a pain. Been trapping the pieces between two 2x4's, and often have to score it both sides to get a good...
Snapping 1/2" non-perf hardiebacker is a pain. Been trapping the pieces between two 2x4's, and often have to score it both sides to get a good line. Any new tricks/tools that make this a breeze, without creating a ton of cutting dust (my garage is taking a beating....lol)?

Also, any new tools you ran across to make the tiling portion easier, lemme know. I've only done one shower pan but about, oh, 8-10 tile and granite jobs in the past, so I'm not completely clueless. But, with all of the new tools coming out, maybe there's some new stuff/techniques available, especially since I don't do this daily for a living....so I don't see this stuff everyday.
no dust!
kongols
12/29/2013 10:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2013 10:58pm
To make a cut you did there should not take more than 5 minutes if you use the right blade. The best blades are Belgium made by a company Carbodiam.
CR250Rider
12/29/2013 11:06pm
you want to dry cut concrete IN a house?

I went to a big tool rental place here and asked for their biggest no gas engine tool they had. It blew a breaker every 5 minutes. We had 12 gauge power cord as well. We went as big and powerful as possible and it was still tough, loud, dusty and slurry was everywhere.

no room for this one, unfortunately
kongols
12/29/2013 11:07pm Edited Date/Time 12/29/2013 11:08pm
My personal record is 1.2 miles(yes-miles) long cut in a day. 3 inches deep.
CR250Rider
12/29/2013 11:15pm
wow
I'm a retired batchman, never personally seen anyone ever drycut concrete. not saying it can't be done but....

why were you cutting a mile of concrete a day? did you get a hat when you were done? ( concrete finisher joke!)
kongols
12/29/2013 11:16pm
CR250Rider wrote:
you want to dry cut concrete IN a house? I went to a big tool rental place here and asked for their biggest no gas engine...
you want to dry cut concrete IN a house?

I went to a big tool rental place here and asked for their biggest no gas engine tool they had. It blew a breaker every 5 minutes. We had 12 gauge power cord as well. We went as big and powerful as possible and it was still tough, loud, dusty and slurry was everywhere.

no room for this one, unfortunately
Yes, you can dry cut in a house. All you need is a good vacuum cleaner. If you're not familiar with it you should get a saw that you can connect a vacuum cleaner to.
kongols
12/29/2013 11:24pm
CR250Rider wrote:
wow I'm a retired batchman, never personally seen anyone ever drycut concrete. not saying it can't be done but.... why were you cutting a mile of...
wow
I'm a retired batchman, never personally seen anyone ever drycut concrete. not saying it can't be done but....

why were you cutting a mile of concrete a day? did you get a hat when you were done? ( concrete finisher joke!)
That was my job. We were cutting thermo joints in a fresh concrete floors . Like 20x 20 feet. Once we poured this big storage space around 1.2 acres and I cut it all 20x20 feet.
CR250Rider
12/29/2013 11:39pm
Oh, Expansion joints?
20 feet apart? must have been a +12" deep slab. That's hard work, too.
Of course you know how much harder 50 yr old concrete is than stuff poured last week Smile

I got this video from my still working ex-coworkers last week. We supplied the concrete for this mat, silver and red trucks...
Good people working long hours! I don't miss that part. I hate that they set a new record without me, fuckers!

Post a reply to: "Das Boot"

The Latest