Creating a website

ocscottie
5/5/2016 1:36pm
Looks good, a lot better than i can do!

Only thing that needs some work IMO is the "All Jacked Up Inc." logo at the very top of the page. Looks out of place and could be a bit more professional looking. Talk to Ezza, he is one of our resident photoshop Gods around here. (there are a few others that also do great work)
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/5/2016 3:18pm
ocscottie wrote:
Looks good, a lot better than i can do! Only thing that needs some work IMO is the "All Jacked Up Inc." logo at the very...
Looks good, a lot better than i can do!

Only thing that needs some work IMO is the "All Jacked Up Inc." logo at the very top of the page. Looks out of place and could be a bit more professional looking. Talk to Ezza, he is one of our resident photoshop Gods around here. (there are a few others that also do great work)
Thanks,
So we actually went for a whimsical look for the "All Jacked Up Inc" when that logo was created.
I agree the header is a little cluttered. It didn't start out like that. I had the Switch Hauler logo lower
at first in the "page" but I wanted wanted the Trademark Logo to show on every page because I haven't figured
how to add the little "TM" in the text boxes.
Also, I was stumped for a couple of days trying to figure out how to insert the logo without a
white box around it. Finally figured out it worked inserting a .png file.
These are just some of the things that it's real easy if you can just ask someone who's already
struggled once. All in all it was pretty easy but then there were simple things that caused
many hours of rework because of just not knowing.
TM
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
5/6/2016 11:44am
I like the site. the switch hauler is sweet, is that your idea?
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/6/2016 11:59am
My son has a pre-runner truck, pretty nice one that he has been upgrading little by little over the last 8 years.
Problem is that every time he wanted to take his bike to the desert or the jetski to Oceanside it was
"Dad, can I borrow your truck?" Last year my wife said for his birthday can we make him something
that he can use his own truck? That's what we can up with. A modular unit that he can switch the
rack and haul whichever he wants. It also makes for easy launching because you can bring the rack
real close to the ground to get the ski on and off. So basically yeah, this was our final product after
a few prototypes.
Thanks for the compliment.
If you have any questions about using Wix to build a site feel free to ask. I'm still learning but might be of help.
TM

The Shop

AHRMA361
Fantasy
232nd
5/6/2016 12:07pm
Nice. Just my .02 here...

There is no pricing info on the page. Are you selling direct? Looking for dealers?

Your message feature could be on every page, not just the Home page, if you are looking for interested parties to interact with.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/6/2016 12:22pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
Nice. Just my .02 here... There is no pricing info on the page. Are you selling direct? Looking for dealers? Your message feature could be on...
Nice. Just my .02 here...

There is no pricing info on the page. Are you selling direct? Looking for dealers?

Your message feature could be on every page, not just the Home page, if you are looking for interested parties to interact with.
When you say "message feature" please explain.
But yes you are right the pricing is a little hidden. You have to click on the actual
product to find that. I was thinking there was less clutter on the page that way but
I'll add it in other places, good idea. I plan on adding a page for where to find where
to buy them from as well as us.
I think there's a a lot to be said for using an experienced web guy if you can afford it
since they have good ideas. That's down the road if this does well.
Thanks
IWreckALot
5/6/2016 1:24pm
I used WIX to create my mom's wedding venue site. The one thing I hate about WIX is it's really difficult to figure out how to use some of their products. I don't recall what it was, if I was trying to use google adwords or what, but I got into a circle click where I just kept getting diverted to three pages. Also, there isn't a phone number I've found that you can just call and ask a question.

Website design is nicely functional and put together well. It's easy to work your way around your website, but you might put a reference to where you can find pricing a little easier.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
5/6/2016 1:44pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2016 1:46pm
Looks like a pretty cool product.

I think to initially it will do the job of introducing your brand and product to the world. But I would highly recommend you look into updating your logo and website in the near future to look a little more professional. You may have the most kick ass trailer lift on the market, but if the customer perceives your company to be "homemade" or "janky" then they may never even give you a chance. You want your customer to see your logo/website and have them instantly think they are seeing a professional company.

I'm sure a design guy here on the board would work with you to update the logo(s) at a fair price. Or I know a good designer that I could refer to you. Perhaps they can also help with developing brand standards so you have continuity between your logo, website, any brochures, business cards, etc. with colors, fonts, logo placements.

For the website, I would look into creating a responsive design site via WordPress. I've worked in many different content management systems, and I have found WordPress to be the most intuitive once you get the hang of it. I found Divi by Elegant Themes to be great at creating a professional site, and it's responsive to screen sizes. You essentially work on each page in rows and columns, but it has a lot of options for "widgets" for each section.

Just my $0.02.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/6/2016 4:26pm
IWreckALot wrote:
I used WIX to create my mom's wedding venue site. The one thing I hate about WIX is it's really difficult to figure out how to...
I used WIX to create my mom's wedding venue site. The one thing I hate about WIX is it's really difficult to figure out how to use some of their products. I don't recall what it was, if I was trying to use google adwords or what, but I got into a circle click where I just kept getting diverted to three pages. Also, there isn't a phone number I've found that you can just call and ask a question.

Website design is nicely functional and put together well. It's easy to work your way around your website, but you might put a reference to where you can find pricing a little easier.
I had some problems figuring out some stuff that was really simple. There was this color issue, for whatever reason
I could not get the color to change on some pages in the template to the point where I just deleted the page after page
and just about every page was started from scratch. The one page I left was the blog page and it still (if you open it on your phone) has the funny pink background color. arghh.
I have a customer support # probably because I paid for the premium service because I wanted to add the store where you can buy right off the website. I haven't got that far yet. I'll get you the number if you want it.
After a while it started going pretty good though. My bigger problem is that I'm not a marketing guy and coming up with interesting content in an easy to look at way.
Lot of good ideas here though.
TM
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/6/2016 5:30pm
NV825 wrote:
Looks like a pretty cool product. I think to initially it will do the job of introducing your brand and product to the world. But I...
Looks like a pretty cool product.

I think to initially it will do the job of introducing your brand and product to the world. But I would highly recommend you look into updating your logo and website in the near future to look a little more professional. You may have the most kick ass trailer lift on the market, but if the customer perceives your company to be "homemade" or "janky" then they may never even give you a chance. You want your customer to see your logo/website and have them instantly think they are seeing a professional company.

I'm sure a design guy here on the board would work with you to update the logo(s) at a fair price. Or I know a good designer that I could refer to you. Perhaps they can also help with developing brand standards so you have continuity between your logo, website, any brochures, business cards, etc. with colors, fonts, logo placements.

For the website, I would look into creating a responsive design site via WordPress. I've worked in many different content management systems, and I have found WordPress to be the most intuitive once you get the hang of it. I found Divi by Elegant Themes to be great at creating a professional site, and it's responsive to screen sizes. You essentially work on each page in rows and columns, but it has a lot of options for "widgets" for each section.

Just my $0.02.
I had read that most people make the mistake of trying to do too much right away. They said that many people hire a development firm to create a site not really knowing what they need but what they want. They end up spending a lot of money and then after a short while need to spend money again to make a lot of changes. The advice was to start out simple, see what you need, and then build out or start over. That's kind of where we are now. There has been some good feed back about the site that I will make some changes which are appreciated.
Interesting thing about the company logo and product logo, those were done quite a while ago and this is the first time someone has not had positive things to say about either of them.
I have to say that when we do a big makeover it won't be me building the site, but that will have to wait.
I do appreciate the input,
Ken
S.Loyer
5/6/2016 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/6/2016 8:56pm
I find your text incredibly difficult to read on your home page.

I dont care for the moving background, it lags and causes delay in loading.
I find most the design work, unattractive...... But Im not in it to look at a pretty design, I am there to learn about your product. Its functional so it works enough.

I like your initial product page its got a good set up simple, with good content architecture. Your product pages I feel like they just need something to make them feel more controlled and organized, to me it feels like they were just thrown to a page. And I get the same vibe from your 'Features' page. And I can't even start to read the 'About' page as its overwhelming.

On a phone I find the site not that easy to use and the text becoming harder to read and more overwhelming.

Mainly, I think your content architecture needs work.

I dont care for your logo to much, its not my taste, its looks like something I would find on a toy box. But I can see how some people would like it.

I build websites and apps for a living and im trying my best to not be to overly critical. I personally just hate WIX, i think it is the worse DIY service. I get your budget may be small and most small companies dont need a large site with bells and whistles but I dont think WIX deliveres on that. I find all the websites on them clunky, slow and terrible structure for seo. I personally reccomend https://www.squarespace.com/ for DIY sites. We turn down a lot of work for people who have to small of budgets and send them to Square space.

Cool product btw though!

imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
5/8/2016 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/8/2016 12:45pm

I would be interested in having one built for a tractor draw bar with rollers to roll off a full water tote. Something you may could do? I have some hogs in a area that recently turned into a swamp and to be able to take them a tote of water with just the tractor and lower it, and roll it off would be very handy. I am sick of buying those little utility trailers and always end up abused and broken.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/9/2016 6:40am
S.Loyer wrote:
I find your text incredibly difficult to read on your home page. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/05/06/134255/s1200_Screen_Shot_2016_05_06_at_7.23.27_PM.jpg[/img] I dont care for the moving background, it lags and causes delay in...
I find your text incredibly difficult to read on your home page.

I dont care for the moving background, it lags and causes delay in loading.
I find most the design work, unattractive...... But Im not in it to look at a pretty design, I am there to learn about your product. Its functional so it works enough.

I like your initial product page its got a good set up simple, with good content architecture. Your product pages I feel like they just need something to make them feel more controlled and organized, to me it feels like they were just thrown to a page. And I get the same vibe from your 'Features' page. And I can't even start to read the 'About' page as its overwhelming.

On a phone I find the site not that easy to use and the text becoming harder to read and more overwhelming.

Mainly, I think your content architecture needs work.

I dont care for your logo to much, its not my taste, its looks like something I would find on a toy box. But I can see how some people would like it.

I build websites and apps for a living and im trying my best to not be to overly critical. I personally just hate WIX, i think it is the worse DIY service. I get your budget may be small and most small companies dont need a large site with bells and whistles but I dont think WIX deliveres on that. I find all the websites on them clunky, slow and terrible structure for seo. I personally reccomend https://www.squarespace.com/ for DIY sites. We turn down a lot of work for people who have to small of budgets and send them to Square space.

Cool product btw though!

I appreciate the input, I don't view it so much as being critical as helpful. I know I have work to do and this is all good stuff to be aware of. I know I am not gifted in the artistic dept. but things that make sense to me are not always carried over to others. I know if you open it on a phone it's way different and that needs to be addressed as there are probably going to be more views from a phone than actual computer. Being ignorant to this I didn't know it till after, oh well. For people that already know, they'll probably think "how dumb is that", but if you don't know? As far as the Wix goes, we paid for at least a year up front so that's going to stay. I have read some of your comments over the years and know that this is what you do for a living so you have credibility in your remarks but also under stand that it's also like a college student overlooking a elementary student's paper. I'll never make anything worthy of your respect but I can learn from your comments and try to be better. The challenge is, will the changes be better or worse.

"Your product pages I feel like they just need something to make them feel more controlled and organized, to me it feels like they were just thrown to a page."

Yup, there was more time devoted to figuring out how to do it than figuring out how it should look. So now that I know it's confusing I can try to make it better. Having said that, I think that's one reason why most things I've read advise to start simple and expect that after a short while you'll start wanting to change things.
Thanks
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/9/2016 6:49am
imoto34 wrote:
I would be interested in having one built for a tractor draw bar with rollers to roll off a full water tote. Something you may could...

I would be interested in having one built for a tractor draw bar with rollers to roll off a full water tote. Something you may could do? I have some hogs in a area that recently turned into a swamp and to be able to take them a tote of water with just the tractor and lower it, and roll it off would be very handy. I am sick of buying those little utility trailers and always end up abused and broken.
So at this point in time, I think we need to stay focused on some standard products that will have not so specific
of a customer base. While "one offs", even if you make money at it, what you really lose is time developing
products that you may sell to 100s of customers instead of just 5. It seems to me that there already is a product
for that as I recall seeing attachments with water totes on the back of tractors that they use to haul water, pesticides...
all kinds of liquids.
Sorry, but thanks,
TM
5/9/2016 1:06pm
I agree I would ditch the animated background for something more professional. Also as mentioned white text on a sky blue background is very difficult to read. If you love the background make the font black like the other pages.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
5/9/2016 2:40pm
I agree I would ditch the animated background for something more professional. Also as mentioned white text on a sky blue background is very difficult to...
I agree I would ditch the animated background for something more professional. Also as mentioned white text on a sky blue background is very difficult to read. If you love the background make the font black like the other pages.
I really struggled with that because I liked/like the background. I spent a lot of time
trying different color schemes that were easier to read. The straight black disappears
into the dark areas of the palms. So yes that's an issue that I have not figured how to
resolve yet. I don't want a plain color but every time I use a picture, because of the
colors in the picture, reading the font always seems to be an issue. I thought the
white with the black outlines were OK but yes it's a challenge.
It was easier to use black on the other pages as they don't conflict with the dark colors.
TM
5/9/2016 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2016 11:18pm
Everyone has an opinion so,...here's mine Smile :

I like the product, the logos and even the background(I don't have a problem reading it) but you kind of repeat yourself there on the initial view of the home page. Maybe a bit of a waste of a valuable first impression space. I might make the Switch Hauler logo dominant being it's what you're trying to sell. How about a large "Switch Hauler" and then a smaller "by all jacked up inc." below it. And then don't repeat that a second time Wink I'm seeing "all jacked up inc." four times and "switch hauler" five times in the initial frame. It's a bit much and'll probably be a little confusing to the average...ehem....consumer lol. Maybe a couple photos of the product in the initial frame with the pitch below might work better. Also, try putting the "products" button at or near the top of the home page? For what it's worth...

Good luck, man!

Post a reply to: Creating a website

The Latest