Craigslist BS

Markee
Fantasy
1890th
I can't believe anyone sells anything on CL. My experiences have just been so frustrating. Not even the scam texts, its the people. They are just so full of shit. Let your yes be a yes or your no a no.

I've been stood up 3 times so far. Just last night after a 14 hour work day, I rush home, load up the bike got everything together, title, extra filters, manual, jets, etc... Anything I think the guy could use. Suppose to meet at 8:00. I ask at 7:13, you still coming, he says yes.

7:55 I get a text on the road; "Man I think i'm just going to hold off and get a bike next season"

How inconsiderate can you be? Guess I'll try ebay.
|
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
8/10/2017 8:44am Edited Date/Time 8/10/2017 8:45am
You can't even buy from the knuckleheads from that site!
JAFO92
8/10/2017 9:04am
Ive had the same experience. Too many tire-kickers and time wasters.
8/10/2017 9:21am
I've had good experiences. Sold my Tacoma on there, and my 125. Got top dollar for both. You are correct though about the tire kickers.
cjmx
Fantasy
1187th
8/10/2017 9:51am
Sound really annoying. I've had good luck recently too. But when I sold my bike I made sure it wasn't after a long work day and had him meet me close to my house.

What's also annoying is the constant calls from people who want to sell your bike for you. I asked the guy to tell me about my bike. He had no clue, yet still called the next day.

The Shop

newmann
8/10/2017 10:04am
Markee wrote:
I can't believe anyone sells anything on CL. My experiences have just been so frustrating. Not even the scam texts, its the people. They are just...
I can't believe anyone sells anything on CL. My experiences have just been so frustrating. Not even the scam texts, its the people. They are just so full of shit. Let your yes be a yes or your no a no.

I've been stood up 3 times so far. Just last night after a 14 hour work day, I rush home, load up the bike got everything together, title, extra filters, manual, jets, etc... Anything I think the guy could use. Suppose to meet at 8:00. I ask at 7:13, you still coming, he says yes.

7:55 I get a text on the road; "Man I think i'm just going to hold off and get a bike next season"

Yep, it sucks just as bad from a buyers standpoint as well. Tell a guy in another state over the phone you will send paypal, cashiers check overnight or bank wire funds for a bike and then arrange for a professional shipper to pick the bike up at his business during regular working hours. I even went so far as to give him my business number and told hime to google earth me and could see my name on the sign in front of my business. He freaks and spazzes and says no, I need cash in hand, no funny business. Blink
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
8/10/2017 10:37am
It's bad lately. I met a guy to sell an 18" wheel that was clearly stated in the ad and when I get there "does this look different?" Ya, YOURS IS A 16" wtf

Then I go to sell a full receiver hitch and put it in my truck to meet a guy. Again, clearly stated in the ad it is for certain years Ram 1500..."will this fit my 3500?"

fuckin douchebags
TXDirt
8/10/2017 10:41am
I've had better luck on FaceBook market place recently but to be honest all these places have flakey buyers and sellers.
8/10/2017 11:20am Edited Date/Time 8/10/2017 11:20am
I agree with FB marketplace. All good for me there.

Have you tried the sex ads on craigslist? asking for a friend....
SEE ARE125
8/10/2017 11:29am
Markee wrote:
I can't believe anyone sells anything on CL. My experiences have just been so frustrating. Not even the scam texts, its the people. They are just...

newmann wrote:
Yep, it sucks just as bad from a buyers standpoint as well. Tell a guy in another state over the phone you will send paypal, cashiers...
Yep, it sucks just as bad from a buyers standpoint as well. Tell a guy in another state over the phone you will send paypal, cashiers check overnight or bank wire funds for a bike and then arrange for a professional shipper to pick the bike up at his business during regular working hours. I even went so far as to give him my business number and told hime to google earth me and could see my name on the sign in front of my business. He freaks and spazzes and says no, I need cash in hand, no funny business. Blink
So you're that guy? The Nigerian prince that works offshore in the military and wants to PayPal me more than my asking price and arrange for a shipper to pick it up? Laughing

Obviously I'm joking and I know you were legit, but in the seller's defense that does sound a lot like every Craigslist scam ever.
Tracktor
8/10/2017 12:29pm
I don't meet anyone to sell. I don't inconvenience myself one bit for anyone on CL. My way or take a hike. Pick up from my office or my house. I live in the sticks with a long downhill driveway so not to worried about people casing it. I have had a few weird ones but mostly good experiences overall. You just have to be able to tell people to bugger off...........
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/10/2017 5:39pm
Tracktor wrote:
I don't meet anyone to sell. I don't inconvenience myself one bit for anyone on CL. My way or take a hike. Pick up from my...
I don't meet anyone to sell. I don't inconvenience myself one bit for anyone on CL. My way or take a hike. Pick up from my office or my house. I live in the sticks with a long downhill driveway so not to worried about people casing it. I have had a few weird ones but mostly good experiences overall. You just have to be able to tell people to bugger off...........
I think you have it right bud. I hate to be a dick or put off people but man I'm learning if you treat folks good or give options, they take advantage. I'm naturally a asshole, I just have to apply it! Tongue
wildbill
8/10/2017 7:15pm
Yep, and a phone call goes a long way in learning the non-verbal cues people always drop, whether they want to or not.
8/11/2017 9:24am
Have any of you guys tried OfferUp? It's my favorite way to buy and sell. No personal info is ever exchanged and you can leave ratings after a transaction is completed.
ns503
8/11/2017 9:28am
Don't be afraid of offending someone by laying out some rules right up front.

'Due to a bad experience in the past, .....' should cover it.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
8/12/2017 4:24am
Have any of you guys tried OfferUp? It's my favorite way to buy and sell. No personal info is ever exchanged and you can leave ratings...
Have any of you guys tried OfferUp? It's my favorite way to buy and sell. No personal info is ever exchanged and you can leave ratings after a transaction is completed.
I actually have and had a good experience. Sold a three rail motorcycle trailer on there pretty quick.

MudPup545
8/12/2017 8:46am
I've sold quite a few items on Craigslist. Everything from car stereos to dirt bikes. Zero issues to be honest. Just plain dumb luck I guess? I've used the app LetGo twice and wasn't impressed. Had a quite a few a$$holes on there.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
8/12/2017 10:33am
Tracktor wrote:
I don't meet anyone to sell. I don't inconvenience myself one bit for anyone on CL. My way or take a hike. Pick up from my...
X 10 Exactly how I do it, you can play by my rules because I don't have to sell whatever I am selling and I don't have to buy whatever someone else is selling.
JW381
8/12/2017 12:14pm
Yeah CL sucks. There's a lot of shit heads. At the same time, it's pretty convenient and easy, and free. There's pros and cons.
8/12/2017 3:36pm
JW381 wrote:
Yeah CL sucks. There's a lot of shit heads. At the same time, it's pretty convenient and easy, and free. There's pros and cons.
You're right, it's a different market and group of buyers than the "classified ads" days. Used buyers aren't as savvy or educated on making private party deals. But your ad will reach a lot more people on today's network.
eeazye
8/12/2017 10:22pm
I just bought a bike off of CL today. Smooth transaction. It was out of state. Texted with the guy, and spoke with him a few times through the week. I could tell he was on the up and up, and I'm sure I gave off the same vibe. I went and looked at one last weekend and the guy was nice but didn't have his shit together. Still waiting for his call back.... Called on another bike out of state, at a dealer no less, on cycle trader, and the guy acted like he was doing me a favor to talk to me. Nope, ain't gonna happen.

I think overall the quality of buyers and sellers is diminishing. Probably the digital age coming to fruition. Too many young guys with no people skills.
jayluv54
8/13/2017 7:19pm
I've sold quite a bit on CL, after a while you start to get a feel for who's serious or not, just by the way they communicate. I weed out kids this way too. I also don't do shit until they're sitting in my driveway. I won't meet anyone or any of that crap either...you want it, bring money and come get it. Dont have a truck? Rent one, borrow one, etc... Never sell desperate and make that a point of emphasis in your ad. Dont need the money, so price is firm. In the same respect don't list a 15 yr old POS 125 for $3K either, because anyone considering that is a f***ing idiot and likely to waste your time. I can't stand when people try to sell shit based on all the mods they put on it... guess what, it's not reasonable to try and recoup retail value on your used parts.

Post a reply to: Craigslist BS

The Latest