Corona, Ca.

brocster
Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. 98% chance this is where I am moving in the next few months. 2% Chance I'll be able to move a little more West and South.
|
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
3/22/2017 9:21am
good luck...you can visit here...

2771 Wardlow Road

Corona, CA 92882
3/22/2017 9:35am
I stayed a few times in Corona, Horsethief canyon (spelling?) Beautiful place loved every minute there.

The only bad part was the traffic lol. Can't really say more as i was just a tourist staying at my gf's place.
borg
3/22/2017 10:28am
brocster wrote:
Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. 98% chance this is where I am moving in the next few months. 2% Chance I'll be...
Tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. 98% chance this is where I am moving in the next few months. 2% Chance I'll be able to move a little more West and South.
Good: close to quite a few tracks. At least compared to where I live in Long Beach.
Bad: traffic to and from. Not sure about around town traffic. Hot as hell in the Summer although not humid like where you live.

Much more but others will fill in.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/22/2017 10:40am
If you are going to work in Orange county or Los Angeles county, I would implore you to take the 2% chance and go farther west/south. The 91 Freeway is a living Hell on Earth. They just finished a multi-year construction project to widen the lanes and add more toll lanes, but the only result was now there are 8 lanes of misery instead of 6. If you have to go West in the morning and east in the evening, plan on an hour each way, just to get through town (all of 5 miles).

Or, you can pay several dollars at a time, each way to do the Fasttrack lanes. (Don't get me started on the implication there - if you have the disposable income, you are allowed a road that is actually sufficient. We working stiffs that only pay our ridiculous auto registration fees every year don't get to enjoy the benefits of our tax dollars and are stuck in the "peasant" lanes.) Keep in mind that sometimes even the Fasttrack lanes are jammed - in some cases, worse than the regular lanes. Roll the dice and take your chances!

There are some nice homes down in Temescal Canyon though, and they are building more. If you plan to work in Temecula, Lake Elsinore, or even somewhere on the I-15 corridor north of there, it's a nice place to live.

The Shop

brocster
3/22/2017 11:02am
Falcon wrote:
If you are going to work in Orange county or Los Angeles county, I would implore you to take the 2% chance and go farther west/south...
If you are going to work in Orange county or Los Angeles county, I would implore you to take the 2% chance and go farther west/south. The 91 Freeway is a living Hell on Earth. They just finished a multi-year construction project to widen the lanes and add more toll lanes, but the only result was now there are 8 lanes of misery instead of 6. If you have to go West in the morning and east in the evening, plan on an hour each way, just to get through town (all of 5 miles).

Or, you can pay several dollars at a time, each way to do the Fasttrack lanes. (Don't get me started on the implication there - if you have the disposable income, you are allowed a road that is actually sufficient. We working stiffs that only pay our ridiculous auto registration fees every year don't get to enjoy the benefits of our tax dollars and are stuck in the "peasant" lanes.) Keep in mind that sometimes even the Fasttrack lanes are jammed - in some cases, worse than the regular lanes. Roll the dice and take your chances!

There are some nice homes down in Temescal Canyon though, and they are building more. If you plan to work in Temecula, Lake Elsinore, or even somewhere on the I-15 corridor north of there, it's a nice place to live.

Unfortunately I will be working in the Carson/Wilmington/North LBC area and was thinking that Corona would be the first place off the 91 that I would be able to afford a home but I have heard all the nightmares of the traffic in and out.

I travel an hour to work now and just figured I would/could do the same there. Is traffic that bad at 5:45-6 a.m.?

I was hoping to not have to do the townhouse/condo thing but if that's what I have to do to accommodate for the commute I'll have to suck it up I guess?

Any info you could share on areas West of Corona that may be affordable/nice?
Mini Elsinore
3/22/2017 11:24am
Falcon wrote:
If you are going to work in Orange county or Los Angeles county, I would implore you to take the 2% chance and go farther west/south...

brocster wrote:
Unfortunately I will be working in the Carson/Wilmington/North LBC area and was thinking that Corona would be the first place off the 91 that I would...
Unfortunately I will be working in the Carson/Wilmington/North LBC area and was thinking that Corona would be the first place off the 91 that I would be able to afford a home but I have heard all the nightmares of the traffic in and out.

I travel an hour to work now and just figured I would/could do the same there. Is traffic that bad at 5:45-6 a.m.?

I was hoping to not have to do the townhouse/condo thing but if that's what I have to do to accommodate for the commute I'll have to suck it up I guess?

Ugh. Corona from Carson at any time of day is a ssssslllllooooowwww grind. Check out Signal Hill or Lakewood for an easy commute. You're gonna pay regardless----either in rent (closer) or time/gas (commute)----but, oh are you gonna pay... And, welcome to the jungle, we like fun and games. Cool
brocster
3/22/2017 11:42am
Falcon wrote:

brocster wrote:
Unfortunately I will be working in the Carson/Wilmington/North LBC area and was thinking that Corona would be the first place off the 91 that I would...

Ugh. Corona from Carson at any time of day is a ssssslllllooooowwww grind. Check out Signal Hill or Lakewood for an easy commute. You're gonna pay...
Ugh. Corona from Carson at any time of day is a ssssslllllooooowwww grind. Check out Signal Hill or Lakewood for an easy commute. You're gonna pay regardless----either in rent (closer) or time/gas (commute)----but, oh are you gonna pay... And, welcome to the jungle, we like fun and games. Cool
that was sorta the mindset that I had...something's got to give.

thanks for the info and if you think of anything else or know anyone with a condo/townhouse with a garage for sale. keep me in mind.

what is typical for you guys out there? do most just rent? keep your bikes in storage? or just have BANK to afford it all???

although I'll have to work, I'll also be there for fun and games....
Mini Elsinore
3/22/2017 12:16pm
Well, I'm old and stupid so I bought and place w/ 3 car garage and STILL have 2 big a$$ mini storage units full of toys & the old lady's estate sale junk, so I'm probably not the guy to ask! Laughing

Edit: I even have mx shit stored at a buddy's cycle shop and another buddy's construction shop---so apparently I'm also a free-loading bastard! HuhWink
brlatm
3/22/2017 1:43pm
I was stationed in Orange County and lived in Moreno Valley in the middle 90's, my In-laws lived in Corona. Holy hell the traffic then on the 91 sucked goat balls, I can only imagine WTF it would be like now. I'd rather have my balls kicked by a midget stripper than drive that shit again everyday. I would leave no later than 04:30 to drive to Orange county and even then that was iffy to get ahead of the traffic.
Skidaddle
3/22/2017 2:32pm
Be prepared for a cost of living shock.
Mr. G
3/22/2017 5:31pm
I live in Jurupa Valley (next to Corona). When going to OC I often don't bother with the 91, I take side streets through Carbon Canyon. Still takes a while but at least I'm moving. Corona is an OK city though.
Mr. G
3/22/2017 5:35pm
dsmith wrote:
good luck...you can visit here...

2771 Wardlow Road

Corona, CA 92882
That would be a great place to live. There is also this place: 311 Cessna Cir, Corona, CA 92880
brocster
3/22/2017 7:06pm
Skidaddle wrote:
I always hear this and always wonder what makes people say it. Other than the cost of purchasing a home everything else is give and take as far as I am concerned. I know people that have regular jobs at regular places that are doing just fine. Can you elaborate on what else I should be looking for that I may be missing. I am pretty sure the cost of having to have flood insurance and having to run the a/c almost year round with electricity here offsets just about any cost of living expense you may be thinking of.
Mini Elsinore
3/23/2017 7:32am
Skidaddle wrote:
brocster wrote:
I always hear this and always wonder what makes people say it. Other than the cost of purchasing a home everything else is give and take...
I always hear this and always wonder what makes people say it. Other than the cost of purchasing a home everything else is give and take as far as I am concerned. I know people that have regular jobs at regular places that are doing just fine. Can you elaborate on what else I should be looking for that I may be missing. I am pretty sure the cost of having to have flood insurance and having to run the a/c almost year round with electricity here offsets just about any cost of living expense you may be thinking of.
Toyota Tacoma (old) = $321 year DMV reg for 2017.
Same truck in the midwest = $38 year.....
It's called the "sunshine tax". It's hidden everywhere you turn. You sound like me 20 years ago pre-move. Come on out, the water is warm!
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
3/23/2017 8:01am
Mr. G wrote:
I live in Jurupa Valley (next to Corona). When going to OC I often don't bother with the 91, I take side streets through Carbon Canyon...
I live in Jurupa Valley (next to Corona). When going to OC I often don't bother with the 91, I take side streets through Carbon Canyon. Still takes a while but at least I'm moving. Corona is an OK city though.
I do the same thing. Avoid taking the 91frwy at all costs. I had an apartment in Corona when I first moved out of my parents house. Very nice place to live. I now live in Eastvale which nice, but way too crowded, and the traffic still sucks.
Wade221
3/23/2017 8:12am
brocster wrote:
I always hear this and always wonder what makes people say it. Other than the cost of purchasing a home everything else is give and take...
I had to live in Louisiana for a few years, and never understood how the area I was living in (low median income, etc.) had such a high COL?! Small, cookie cutter houses were grossly overpriced, and just to get groceries and stuff, I had two taxes on my bill (state and Parish) which varies by Parish (for mine it was 11.5% total tax). So.. after that rant, I don't think the COL will be too much of a shock to you, other than gas pump prices.. maybe
3/23/2017 8:30am
It's 830 local time and here is a look at traffic. I think it would be a deal breaker for me.

Let me know if the picture is astronomically huge, its a screen shot from my phone, I can remove it.

Homey55
3/23/2017 9:43am
Look at Orange (Old Town), Santa Ana (Careful, very hit/miss), Anaheim, Costa Mesa, Huntington Beach, Fullerton areas. Corona is going to suck for you. An hour commute in stop and go traffic is way worse than an hour commute in the South.

If you can afford it, look south of Irvine and find someone to commute with.
brocster
3/23/2017 11:25am
Thanks dudes! Keep it coming and I'll keep polling as I get closer to making the trek West.

MiniEls The way I see it is you gotta pay to play. However, the $2600 a year I will save on Flood Insurance will net me an additional $2100 a year for other "sunshine taxes". When I get there we can grab a beer and discuss!
Mini Elsinore
3/23/2017 12:16pm
brocster wrote:
Thanks dudes! Keep it coming and I'll keep polling as I get closer to making the trek West. MiniEls The way I see it is you...
Thanks dudes! Keep it coming and I'll keep polling as I get closer to making the trek West.

MiniEls The way I see it is you gotta pay to play. However, the $2600 a year I will save on Flood Insurance will net me an additional $2100 a year for other "sunshine taxes". When I get there we can grab a beer and discuss!
You're on, brother. Hit me up.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/23/2017 1:30pm
That map above is why I'm so glad I live in San Diego rather than OC hahaa. Corona is ok but my buddy lived up there for a bit and I can't say I would want to move there. Everytime it was like 70-75 in San Diego, I'd go up there and it would be 90-100 out.
twizzler
3/23/2017 2:48pm
Only move out here if you have to! Or if the positives for you outweigh the negatives. There are some good things here, but sadly as mentioned traffic sucks everywhere all the time (unless you're on a fwy real early or real late) to get to those good things. It's always been a growing area, but growth has picked up significantly recently and houses, apartment complexes and strip malls are going in everywhere you tend to look in all of the areas that used to be bare fields or foothills. Lots of drivers are assholes and it's the me, me, me mentality that seems to be becoming the norm all around. Everybody is in a hurry out here, don't know why because they will just get stuck at a red light or in traffic further down the road. Southern California is in ways the same that it's always been, but to me it's almost to much to deal with anymore and I'm looking to get out.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/23/2017 3:01pm
Brocster, I hope you love it out here. Just be ready to pay more $ for everything.... income taxes, gasoline, rent/mortgage, milk, etc.... it all costs more here.

To help put some stuff in perspective for you, I live in Menifee because it's the closest I can get to OC and be able to afford rent. (Other than Orange, Santa Ana, Fullerton, etc. mentioned above. It's solid, wall-to-wall concrete for 50 miles in every direction over there though... I can't live like that.) I have a 54 mile drive to and from work in Brea, CA that takes me just a hair shy of 2 hours to complete. Want to talk about a cost of living? I lose 4 hours of my day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year. Most people get a 24 hours day, but mine is 20. Yuck. Sad
I rent a 4 bedroom home for $1800. My water bill is $100, electricity about $130-$200, depending on the season. (Remember, you'll have to run the AC here pretty often, too... mine has already come on a few times this year.)

Mr. G
3/23/2017 8:58pm
Mr. G wrote:
I live in Jurupa Valley (next to Corona). When going to OC I often don't bother with the 91, I take side streets through Carbon Canyon...
MXant15 wrote:
I do the same thing. Avoid taking the 91frwy at all costs. I had an apartment in Corona when I first moved out of my parents...
I do the same thing. Avoid taking the 91frwy at all costs. I had an apartment in Corona when I first moved out of my parents house. Very nice place to live. I now live in Eastvale which nice, but way too crowded, and the traffic still sucks.
Eastvale is an upgrade. I am right next to it
rrjr
3/25/2017 2:22pm
Well, I'm old and stupid so I bought and place w/ 3 car garage and STILL have 2 big a$$ mini storage units full of toys...
Well, I'm old and stupid so I bought and place w/ 3 car garage and STILL have 2 big a$$ mini storage units full of toys & the old lady's estate sale junk, so I'm probably not the guy to ask! Laughing

Edit: I even have mx shit stored at a buddy's cycle shop and another buddy's construction shop---so apparently I'm also a free-loading bastard! HuhWink
Your wife gets her "junk" from estate sales? What's wrong with yours? Laughing j/k
Mini Elsinore
3/25/2017 10:53pm
Well, I'm old and stupid so I bought and place w/ 3 car garage and STILL have 2 big a$$ mini storage units full of toys...

rrjr wrote:
Your wife gets her "junk" from estate sales? What's wrong with yours? Laughing j/k
HuhLaughing
Skidaddle
3/26/2017 11:48am
seth505 wrote:
That map above is why I'm so glad I live in San Diego rather than OC hahaa. Corona is ok but my buddy lived up there...
That map above is why I'm so glad I live in San Diego rather than OC hahaa. Corona is ok but my buddy lived up there for a bit and I can't say I would want to move there. Everytime it was like 70-75 in San Diego, I'd go up there and it would be 90-100 out.
Right, but Corona is like El Cajon, San Diego would be like Laguna Beach weather.

Apples to apples. Coastal to coastal, inland valleys to inland valleys.
Mr. G
3/26/2017 12:59pm
It's close to Milestone. So.....................
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
3/27/2017 4:04pm
seth505 wrote:
That map above is why I'm so glad I live in San Diego rather than OC hahaa. Corona is ok but my buddy lived up there...
Skidaddle wrote:
Right, but Corona is like El Cajon, San Diego would be like Laguna Beach weather.

Apples to apples. Coastal to coastal, inland valleys to inland valleys.
Ya, good point, I was just thinking southern CA overall. True though, I can drive 10-20 minutes outside SD and it'll be 10-20 degrees warmer

Post a reply to: Corona, Ca.

The Latest