Concealed Carry

Titan1
Edited Date/Time 5/14/2016 9:08am
I'm looking into purchasing a hand gun, so I'd like some feedback.

In all reality, I'll never actually carry it (I honestly just don't feel the need to carry a gun), but if I ever wanted to carry, I want that to be a possibility (I do have a CCW for Utah and Arizona...and I think that covers me for MOST states).

I don't need it for home protection (I've got a tactical 12 gauge for that...but I mostly bought that because it looked cool-which means it would scare the anti gun morons-I don't feel I need to "protect" my home. But its there if I need it)...

So I just want it to be fun/easy/comfortable to shoot first and foremost, and then also concealable.

Thoughts on caliber? 9mm, .40, .45?
Manufacture? Springfield? Glock? Sig?

I've got rather large hands...I wear a large in riding gloves.

I shot a 9m Springfield XD Sub a while ago and really liked it.

Thanks fellas!

|
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
5/11/2016 9:12am
Check out the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. Very nice carry gun.
Old-Man
5/11/2016 9:47am
Have a .380 Auto Glock. It is used for the CCW you're talking about. Paid 360 for it.

5/11/2016 11:19am Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 11:21am
AHRMA361 wrote:
I shot the 40 last weekend and couldn't hit shit with it. I want to try the 9mm version, I hear it's easier to be more accurate.

My brother has the 9mm HK P2000SK which feels and shoots nice. $720 range.
motogeezer
5/11/2016 12:17pm
My home protection gun is one of these:

I'm protecting my home from rats, mainly.

The Shop

Team Ideal
5/11/2016 1:06pm
I currently have a Ruger LCP 380. if you have big hands it's probably not the gun for you. I dislike the no safety and the back sights are kind of hard to pick up for me. but it fit my hand the best and when I would pull it up it was the one that was closest to what I was pointing at without much adjustment. I tried a friends Glock 42 like above and liked it to so I may be buying one just because lol.

I'd recommend going into a Cabela's or Bass Pro and trying them all and go with the one that feels best.

I'd buy now because if Killary gets in guns will be hard to buy because if you think they're selling fast now just wait.
5/11/2016 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 1:46pm
To keep it real fun we have to shoot through the certain colors on the plywood anytime someone screams a color. And we also do it by time too. When you're doing a little competitive shooting with your friends it's like sitting on a full gate when the 2 card comes out. You get all jittery and really makes shooting a lot more fun than standing in a stall shooting paper.
agn5009
5/11/2016 8:01pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
This. Very nice to carry and very accurate. Fun to shoot at the range too. I absolutely love this gun. I'm just as accurate with the shield as my full size glock .40. I prefer the 9mm in the shield though because the .40 is just too much for the size of the gun IMO.

The G43 is pretty nice too. But I don't think it's as easy to shoot. It's a little smaller though.
5/11/2016 9:15pm
HA! I have a very similar story.

I have a Mossberg 500 for "home protection," but I primarily bought it because I thought it looked cool:

I also have large hands. I wear a 2XL moto glove because it's the only size that will fit my thick palms, but the fingers are too long.

I received my CCP earlier this year. My other firearm is a Sig Sauer p238:

It's a small gun, and might not naturally feel the way you would like it to feel in your hands due to its size, but it's a great size to easily conceal. I'm not very educated about ammunition size, but I'm under the impression that if I'm ever in a situation where a .380 round isn't strong enough to get the job done, then it was likely impractical for me to have been concealing the size of weapon that is large enough to take down the threat in the first place. Maybe I'm talking out my ass though, I don't know.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
5/11/2016 9:53pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 10:41pm
I know this is a little off topic but there is a bill up for vote in Oklahoma that allows open carry with no permit. In other words, changing the concealed weapon with permit law to an open carry without permit law. Pretty drastic change.
5/11/2016 10:10pm
lestat wrote:
You should buy a piece of American history ...

http://gu.com/p/4j5b5?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Wow, that is interesting. Maybe he should have used a broker or something. Seems kind of creepy to try and sell it himself.

Anyway, as far as a carry pistol goes, I think the Glock 19 is a good choice if you're into 9mm. Also a friend of mine had a Kimber 1911 Super Carry. It's a great looking gun, nice size and available in multiple calibers.
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
5/11/2016 10:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/11/2016 10:57pm
lestat wrote:
You should buy a piece of American history ...

http://gu.com/p/4j5b5?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
Wow, that is interesting. Maybe he should have used a broker or something. Seems kind of creepy to try and sell it himself. Anyway, as far...
Wow, that is interesting. Maybe he should have used a broker or something. Seems kind of creepy to try and sell it himself.

Anyway, as far as a carry pistol goes, I think the Glock 19 is a good choice if you're into 9mm. Also a friend of mine had a Kimber 1911 Super Carry. It's a great looking gun, nice size and available in multiple calibers.
Yep,the Glock 19 is a perfect reliable carry weapon.
Fits 99.9% of peoples hands perfect.
It's easy to control & it's accurate.
Still light weight fully loaded etc..

Titan1
5/12/2016 9:14am
TripleFive wrote:
HA! I have a very similar story. I have a Mossberg 500 for "home protection," but I primarily bought it because I thought it looked cool...
HA! I have a very similar story.

I have a Mossberg 500 for "home protection," but I primarily bought it because I thought it looked cool:

I also have large hands. I wear a 2XL moto glove because it's the only size that will fit my thick palms, but the fingers are too long.

I received my CCP earlier this year. My other firearm is a Sig Sauer p238:

It's a small gun, and might not naturally feel the way you would like it to feel in your hands due to its size, but it's a great size to easily conceal. I'm not very educated about ammunition size, but I'm under the impression that if I'm ever in a situation where a .380 round isn't strong enough to get the job done, then it was likely impractical for me to have been concealing the size of weapon that is large enough to take down the threat in the first place. Maybe I'm talking out my ass though, I don't know.
The one reason I'm considering a larger caliber, is because one of the only times I'd every plan on carrying would be while hiking...and I hike in Courgar and Bear country...and though a 9mm would be fine for people, when it comes to wild animals I'd like to have a little bit more "hit", if you know what I mean.

Titan1
5/12/2016 9:16am
FastEddy wrote:
Yep,the Glock 19 is a perfect reliable carry weapon. Fits 99.9% of peoples hands perfect. It's easy to control & it's accurate. Still light weight fully...

My buddy-who happens to be a walking gun encyclopedia, and whose house is like a full on gun museum 9he's a gun collector, competitive shooter and hunter)-said almost the exact same thing. He told me to buy a Glock 19.

But he is madly in LOVE with anything Glock, so I thought he was just saying that because he loves Glocks so much.
Firefly47
5/12/2016 1:38pm
I have a Glock 23 in .40 that I carry in my truck and then carry a Springfield XD 9mm on my person. For home protection, well, Google these two words - Belgian Malinois.
Titan1
5/12/2016 1:39pm
Firefly47 wrote:
I have a Glock 23 in .40 that I carry in my truck and then carry a Springfield XD 9mm on my person. For home protection...
I have a Glock 23 in .40 that I carry in my truck and then carry a Springfield XD 9mm on my person. For home protection, well, Google these two words - Belgian Malinois.
How do you like the Springfield XD?? I REALLY liked the one I shot a while ago.
Firefly47
5/12/2016 1:44pm
Firefly47 wrote:
I have a Glock 23 in .40 that I carry in my truck and then carry a Springfield XD 9mm on my person. For home protection...
Titan1 wrote:
I like it a lot. It rubs the back of my palm in front of my thumb funny, but I like it.
The Glock 23 is actually more comfortable to hold, but I shoot my XD a tad better at the range.

I'd recommend you go to a dealer that has a range that rents out different guns so you can get a good feel for what works best for you. It's like a car. Don't buy one without test driving it first.
newmann
5/12/2016 1:55pm
FastEddy wrote:
Yep,the Glock 19 is a perfect reliable carry weapon. Fits 99.9% of peoples hands perfect. It's easy to control & it's accurate. Still light weight fully...

And comes with a matching thong?Laughing
JRT812
5/12/2016 2:18pm
I love me some Glocks, old smiths, and colts. With it getting warmer I will be pocket carrying the 43. As stated above, the 19 is a great all around gun and works well carrying inside the waist. I enjoyed my wife's 42 but decided to sell it for another 43. The shield also pocket carries really well. I just sold a colt new agent that I thought was beautiful, but I absolutely hated shooting it. It felt great in my hand, but once I actually ran through some rounds I realized I would never carry it. Go to a range and rent the guns (if they're available) you're interested in and shoot before buying them.
Titan1
5/12/2016 2:21pm
Firefly47 wrote:
Titan1 wrote:
Firefly47 wrote:
I like it a lot. It rubs the back of my palm in front of my thumb funny, but I like it. The Glock 23 is...
I like it a lot. It rubs the back of my palm in front of my thumb funny, but I like it.
The Glock 23 is actually more comfortable to hold, but I shoot my XD a tad better at the range.

I'd recommend you go to a dealer that has a range that rents out different guns so you can get a good feel for what works best for you. It's like a car. Don't buy one without test driving it first.
That's good advice!
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
5/12/2016 4:23pm
newmann wrote:
And comes with a matching thong?Laughing
Haha Smile
I think you are thinking of the Ruger LC9.

Post a reply to: Concealed Carry

The Latest