Computer junkies!! MacBook or dell

logan_140
Edited Date/Time 2/2/2016 8:37pm
Using it for school which do you all recommend? I have a 6 plus phone. also should I wait til the new MacBook Pro is released if I get a MacBook? It'll be out in March they're saying
|
IWreckALot
2/2/2016 11:26am
Most of your school work will definitively acknowledge windows base applications like Word and Excel. I do a lot of homework on different computers and most computers are windows based. I think a MacBook would be a PITA for me to use so my vote goes to Dell or HP.

What is your major?
logan_140
2/2/2016 11:30am
IWreckALot wrote:
Most of your school work will definitively acknowledge windows base applications like Word and Excel. I do a lot of homework on different computers and most...
Most of your school work will definitively acknowledge windows base applications like Word and Excel. I do a lot of homework on different computers and most computers are windows based. I think a MacBook would be a PITA for me to use so my vote goes to Dell or HP.

What is your major?
Nursing now. Med school after (I'm only 19) I think it would be awesome to be the physician on the med flight chopper. I always wanted to fly it but don't want to go in the military. (No disrespect to anyone in the military either)
huck
2/2/2016 11:38am
My mac's handle word and excel files with no problem. No sure why somebody would think that they would cause a problem.

I open around 50-75 different xls files a day...

The Shop

motogeezer
2/2/2016 12:09pm
^^ Yep.

I run all kinds of Microsoft programs on my MacBook.

Everything in "MS Office" runs with no problem.

I also run MS Silverlight for on-line stuff that isn't normally Mac compatible.

My last Mac lappy lasted me over eight years, and my son still uses it.

I've had the one I'm on now for almost four years without a glitch.

What's the life expectancy of a Dell?
KTMShane699
2/2/2016 12:15pm
I'm another Mac vote. Most software (not all) these days is available for both platforms with compatibility for both. The lifespan of a Mac tends to be much longer than a windows based machine. This is particularly true if you're not super computer savvy. My entire family uses Mac's and have no headaches, including my teenage daughter who clicks on things without a second thought.

Microsoft makes Office for Mac...so there's zero issue with that. Also, the included software of Keynote (Powerpoint), Numbers (Excel) and Pages (Word) will open up office files. I use Office since it's an interface I'm more familiar with and had the software.

Shane
logan_140
2/2/2016 12:16pm
Next question about the MacBook. Should I wait for the new one in March?
motogeezer
2/2/2016 12:37pm
logan_140 wrote:
I haven't looked at the next model, but if you wait, you might save a few bucks on the current one, if you decide to go that way.
logan_140
2/2/2016 12:54pm
logan_140 wrote:
motogeezer wrote:
I haven't looked at the next model, but if you wait, you might save a few bucks on the current one, if you decide to go...
I haven't looked at the next model, but if you wait, you might save a few bucks on the current one, if you decide to go that way.
I see a lot about them getting sky lake processors
tcannon521
Fantasy
1398th
2/2/2016 2:36pm
If you can wait, I would for the Skylake processors. The current chipset is about 2 years old as Intel drug their feet with the release of Skylake. They are real world 20% better in both performance and battery usage than the current chipset.

I am personally waiting for one if that helps you at all.

2/2/2016 2:42pm
IWreckALot wrote:
Most of your school work will definitively acknowledge windows base applications like Word and Excel. I do a lot of homework on different computers and most...

What is your major?
logan_140 wrote:
Nursing now. Med school after (I'm only 19) I think it would be awesome to be the physician on the med flight chopper. I always wanted...
Nursing now. Med school after (I'm only 19) I think it would be awesome to be the physician on the med flight chopper. I always wanted to fly it but don't want to go in the military. (No disrespect to anyone in the military either)
You can become an NP (significantly less debt, still make six figures and they're on flight teams) Go after whatever you want though, good luck.

I started school with a white macbook in 2007. I still use it today. I've thrown away numerous PCs in that same time frame. It's so old now it's obsolete, and I can't upgrade it. But I really don't need the upgrade.

Longevity for the macbook, but like anything else PC can be good too.

My macbook has 25 gb partitioned, and Windows XP is on the partition. Never gives me problems. I barely ever boot up the XP though...
ML512
Fantasy
54th
2/2/2016 3:06pm
Long time PC user, switched to a MacBook Pro when I started at Vital... LOVE it... Now I'm running a MacPro at home as well.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
2/2/2016 3:15pm
Had my MacBook alloy for 8 years and never had a problem, except upgrading to El Capitan with only 2gb of ram was a bit silly as it has slowed it down quite a bitPinch ... Also have a mac mini and hook it up to the big screen via hdmi for supercrossWoohoo
2/2/2016 5:04pm
I don't have any reason to see why I would get anything but MacBooks for a while. They just don't slow down like the PCs do.

Bought my first one three years ago. Purchased the $500 accidental damage 3-year warranty. Accidentally spilled water on my Macbook Pro a few months before the warranty expired. Now I have a brand new current-model Macbook.
logan_140
2/2/2016 5:46pm
TripleFive wrote:
I don't have any reason to see why I would get anything but MacBooks for a while. They just don't slow down like the PCs do...
I don't have any reason to see why I would get anything but MacBooks for a while. They just don't slow down like the PCs do.

Bought my first one three years ago. Purchased the $500 accidental damage 3-year warranty. Accidentally spilled water on my Macbook Pro a few months before the warranty expired. Now I have a brand new current-model Macbook.
That's one reason why I want one. Long life period.. No viruses

Post a reply to: Computer junkies!! MacBook or dell

The Latest