Computer Guys Window 8.1

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
Edited Date/Time 8/26/2014 5:59pm
I bought my mother an Asus Laptop around Christmas time last year. I wanted to get her something she could enjoy and play around on, watch her soaps ect. We got an Asus that is a race horse on paper but is the slowest thing I have ever seen. It was fast at first but just slowly started creeping. For instance, 3 minutes for Chrome to come up, 5 minutes for Quickbooks, unable to watch a stream of her soaps online.
I have read where there are many people having problems with Windows 8.1 but no where can I find a solution. Do any of you have any experience, suggestions, recommendations? I really don't know what to do and I'm tired of seeing her frustrated trying to use her computer. Please help me to make my mother happy! Smile
|
jeffro503
8/11/2014 6:12pm
I don't run Win 8 yet. I have stuck with Win 7 ultimate 64. It shouldn't make a difference on the performance between the two versions.....but you need to go in and check out how many programs you have running in the back ground. 9 times out of ten it's malware , or additional programs that don't need to be running. If you can't figure it out....find a trust worthy tech geek in your area ( CL is great for finding them....they are all over ) and have them cleans that sucker up.

I doubt it's a hardware issue......but even though it's new , you could have some ram going bad. Possibly a HD that is starting to fail ( Are you getting any programs that are just not working any more? ). Could be a bunch of different things.....but my money is on a bunch of stuff running in the back ground.
jeffro503
8/11/2014 6:14pm
Hey one more thing....any time I have had computer issues and I need help....I always go here >> http://www.overclock.net

There are thousands of dudes who are big time computer enthusiasts there and would love to help out. In fact they would probably walk you through step by step if you ask for help.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
8/11/2014 6:53pm
Thanks Jeffro, I will look into that and will check out that site. I am going to be traveling for a couple of days. Hopefully I will have some hotel time to check it out. I might bump this in a few days upon my return.
It is a possiblity that something could be running in the back ground. She does download some apps. I will google if there is a way to close them like you can on an Ipad or cell phone. That is exactly what it acts like. But after googleing I have seen where many people are having the same issue. I don't know what to do.
S.Loyer
8/11/2014 7:00pm
Buy a Mac, or Put Ubutnu or linux on your current PC for an operating system Even Chrome OSX....

Wink

The Shop

DPW
8/11/2014 7:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2014 7:14pm
check event viewer any errors, OS patched ? Check installed programs and see what mom has installed in the past couple of months.

check task manager or better yet, Process Explorer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

http://www.lavasoft.com/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc
8/11/2014 10:35pm
I bought my mother an Asus Laptop around Christmas time last year. I wanted to get her something she could enjoy and play around on, watch...
I bought my mother an Asus Laptop around Christmas time last year. I wanted to get her something she could enjoy and play around on, watch her soaps ect. We got an Asus that is a race horse on paper but is the slowest thing I have ever seen. It was fast at first but just slowly started creeping. For instance, 3 minutes for Chrome to come up, 5 minutes for Quickbooks, unable to watch a stream of her soaps online.
I have read where there are many people having problems with Windows 8.1 but no where can I find a solution. Do any of you have any experience, suggestions, recommendations? I really don't know what to do and I'm tired of seeing her frustrated trying to use her computer. Please help me to make my mother happy! Smile
It sounds like you could have some unwanted spyware or your system is loading too many things up at start up and slowing your system down by using too many resources.

Go to your deskptop and right click on the windows icon on the taskbar and click Run. Then type msconfig and hit enter. in System Configuration, you'll see a tab that says Startup. Click it and then click Open Task Manager. Or, even easier, just go to search and type in Task Manager! In Task Manager go to Processes and look at the graph. It will tell you what programs are running and how much cpu and memory is being used. Look fro programs that are using a lot of memory and cpu. You will also see a tab that says Startup. Click it and disable any programs that are not necessary. Most of your programs are not necessary to run at start up and you can safely disable them; any programs that are necessary will automatically be enabled by Windows. To disable a program, right click on it and click disable. for example, if you have a chat program, it will probably run at startup but you don't need it too. You can run it simply by clicking on an icon for it when you need it. Usually by getting rid of all those unnecessary programs, you can speed up your system.
8/11/2014 10:37pm
S.Loyer wrote:
Buy a Mac, or Put Ubutnu or linux on your current PC for an operating system Even Chrome OSX....

Wink
Not very good advice in this situation.
CR250Rider
8/12/2014 8:40am
jndmx wrote:
Sounds a whole lot like Spyware to me.

This is a free tool that I use and recommend to people that have slow machines.
https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
9 times out of 10 that's exactly what it is. Spyware, spamware or just a few outright viruses.

Use the task manager and see whats eating up clock cycles.
level
8/12/2014 4:10pm
Could be multiple issues. Usually a bad hard drive will cause those type of symptoms. It happened on my late iMac. Had it for about 7 years and it was loading programs so slow. The hard drive was failing so replaced it and back to new again.
level
8/12/2014 4:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 4:45pm
I don't think it's malware or spyware. If programs are loading that slowly then it really sounds like bad ram or bad hard drive.

Try these things in this order:

1) Download malware bytes from download.com
-It works wonders on removing spyware. Good spyware will not even let you go to the site though. If it lets you download it it's probably not spyware but if it doesn't let you then you know for sure it is. If it downloads and scans your system and doesn't find anything then it's most likely not malware or spyware

2) Reinstall operating system

3) Take to get serviced. Should still be under warranty. You could call Asus and they may send you out a replacement or return it where you bought it for another different laptop.

Hope that helps. I would have to say it's the hard drive though.
the_wood109
8/13/2014 6:11am Edited Date/Time 8/13/2014 6:15am
level wrote:
I don't think it's malware or spyware. If programs are loading that slowly then it really sounds like bad ram or bad hard drive. Try these...
I don't think it's malware or spyware. If programs are loading that slowly then it really sounds like bad ram or bad hard drive.

Try these things in this order:

1) Download malware bytes from download.com
-It works wonders on removing spyware. Good spyware will not even let you go to the site though. If it lets you download it it's probably not spyware but if it doesn't let you then you know for sure it is. If it downloads and scans your system and doesn't find anything then it's most likely not malware or spyware

2) Reinstall operating system

3) Take to get serviced. Should still be under warranty. You could call Asus and they may send you out a replacement or return it where you bought it for another different laptop.

Hope that helps. I would have to say it's the hard drive though.
RAM won't ever degrade performance. The ram will operate at the same level of performance as new...it's a constant. If RAM is failing, you would get blue screens and application crashes, but it won't slow down the machine without manually changing the speed and timings in the bios.

Mechanical hard disks can have an impact on performance when they become fragmented. The simple fix here is to run a defrag on the disk. A failing drive can impact performance, but it sounds like a newer machine. It could be defective.

If the laptop does have a mechanical hard disk, they're typically 5400 rpm drives in laptops for power saving reasons. It does save power, but it also is a huge bottleneck for laptops..this is the main reason why they're traditionally much slower than desktops. Luckily, solid state disks have become pretty affordable. They are both much better performing and use less power. It's a win all around.

Spyware is the number one cause of performance loss in windows machines, so if I had to speculate...I would start there.

What is the model of the laptop? If it's a low end machine, sometimes they have outdated hardware with a newer operating system installed. There could possibly be a driver issue, such as embedded graphics, or sometimes bloatware from the manufacturer causes issues. I had an ASUS laptop back in the day that had similar performance issues due to the ASUS update program that was installed by default. Of course, that was a long time ago, but I'm pointing out there are other potential causes for poor performance. However, you certainly want to start with a full spyware scan.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
8/24/2014 5:49pm
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. I finally got some time to sit down and work on Mom's computer. I ran, Adwcleaner, Malwarebytes, then hitman. Then I downloaded Glary utilities. It speeded it up a lot and removed istart123 add on. But I found where she watches her show so I clicked on it to see how it worked. Flash kept crashing. So I updated flash and everything was fine until I realized when I updated flash that I accidentally installed astromenda search. So I had to do the whole damn thing over, only then Glary utilities was crashing. So I uninstalled and reinstalled it. defraged and here i am playing on it. Seems to be working correctly. Now to work on some start ups. Because it took it 10 minutes to be responsive once I rebooted. I honestly didn't think it was a malware issue but sure enough it was. Well there went 8 hours of my day lol But mom should be happy now. Considering she just called and said that she rolled her ankle at camp, went for xrays and had a break and has to got to the ortho as soon as she gets home. But at least she'll have her computer back. lol Thanks for the help guys.
CR250Rider
8/25/2014 12:31am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 12:32am
Yup.
9 out of 10 times it's malware, trojans, viruses, etc.
Problem is even after it's clean there are files and registry entries that will never be the same. You could track every single change that the malware did but the best way is to backup your important stuff and then format it and reinstall fresh software.
Sounds time consuming but it's faster.
After a fresh install, put a pw on your admin acct and turn on guest mode and only access the Internet in guest mode. Your system files cannot be altered in guest acct.
Some know it all doucheRockets will say otherwise but it's true.
Glad to hear you got things better! Good job.
jndmx
8/25/2014 6:19am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 6:19am
CR250Rider wrote:
Yup. 9 out of 10 times it's malware, trojans, viruses, etc. Problem is even after it's clean there are files and registry entries that will never...
Yup.
Problem is even after it's clean there are files and registry entries that will never be the same. You could track every single change that the malware did but the best way is to backup your important stuff and then format it and reinstall fresh software.
After a fresh install, put a pw on your admin acct and turn on guest mode and only access the Internet in guest mode. Your system files cannot be altered in guest acct.
"After a fresh install, put a pw on your admin acct and turn on guest mode and only access the Internet in guest mode. Your system files cannot be altered in guest acct."

This is excellent advice and will save a lot of stuff that she doesn't realize is getting on there from being installed.
We had a similar problem with my mom when she was in her early 80's, they just don't pick up on all the additional crap.....it's meant to deceive the person looking at it.

You basically set it up the way a business network work is structured, the end users don't install software.
motosmith
8/25/2014 3:12pm
CR250Rider wrote:
Yup. 9 out of 10 times it's malware, trojans, viruses, etc. Problem is even after it's clean there are files and registry entries that will never...
Yup.
Where do you get a backup of the operating system? The last PC I purchased didn't come with an operating system CD.
DownSouth
8/26/2014 3:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/26/2014 3:35pm
How long does it take Malware bytes to run a complete scan? I downloaded it this morning and am scanning for the first time and it is currently at 7 hours 8 minutes and counting on the timer.

The "objects scanned" count has stopped at 729, 386 and it has been on "heuristic anaylusis: working" for quite a while now.

XXVoid MainXX
8/26/2014 5:59pm
I think Windows 3.1 was the last time I ran Windows. That was enough for me.

Post a reply to: Computer Guys Window 8.1

The Latest