Climber Completes the Most Dangerous Ascent Ever

motosmith
Edited Date/Time 6/6/2017 4:36pm
Massive balls. Or mental illness.

"Free soloing is when a climber is alone and uses no ropes or any other equipment that aids or protects him as he climbs, leaving no margin of error.

The route Honnold chose to reach the top of El Capitan, known as Freerider, is one of the most prized big wall climbs in Yosemite. The route has 30 sections—or pitches—and is so difficult that even in the last few years, it was newsworthy when a climber was able to summit using ropes for safety.

There are other climbers in Honnold’s league physically, but no one else has matched his mental ability to control fear. His tolerance for scary situations is so remarkable that neuroscientists have studied the parts of his brain related to fear to see how they might differ from the norm."

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/features/athletes/alex-honnold/most-dangerous-free-solo-climb-yosemite-national-park-el-capitan/

|
6/5/2017 9:59am
I was there on Saturday when he did it but had no idea. Was searching the walls to see if anybody was climbing but didn't see anybody.

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
6/5/2017 10:11am
At least he was in control of his life unlike when Pastrana jumped out of a plane without a parachute or that other guy that jumped out from 25,000 feet and landed in a giant net.

Not taking anything away from this guy but putting your life in someone else's hands in a life or death situation is insane.

Someone was with him taking pictures so I guess if he felt he was in any kind of danger he could of hooked himself up but it only takes a split second and it's goodbye world.

Either way he's got a big set of balls.

The Shop

akillerwombat
6/5/2017 12:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/5/2017 12:31pm
We did Lake Louise hike last year up in Banff and while it's a far cry from Yosemite looking down at the ground from that height was crazy enough. I can't even fathom climbing strait up it without rope.

Huge props to him though – he'd make a great MX trainer for mental strength.
Hut
6/5/2017 12:54pm
Respect!
rancor19
6/5/2017 6:17pm
I can't, and never could, wrap my mind around a good enough reason to even do that with ropes and a parachute.

Crazy.
Firefly47
6/6/2017 5:31am
Alex Honnold may have pulled off the biggest athletic achievement we've ever seen.
He scaled it in roughly 4 hours.
When Royal Robbins first ascended it with all equipment needed, it took him 7 full days.
early
Fantasy
2212th
6/6/2017 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 6/6/2017 2:36pm
This feat is amazing and incredible but not as stupid as you might think.

I was lucky to meet and climb for a short day with Alex back in 2008, right before he soloed the Moonlight Buttress in Zion. He was pretty young at the time, but one of the most level headed humble and good dudes I ever met. His mental and physical ability is amazing. Congrats to him for making history.

Heres an interesting article by Tommy Caldwell (who climbed the Dawn Wall a year or 2 ago)
www.outsideonline.com/2190306/why-alex-honnolds-free-solo-scared-me
davis224
Fantasy
165th
6/6/2017 4:33pm
Mind blowing. Unreal ability to turn off fear and think critically. I saw in an interview he started it a while ago but bailed shortly into it because conditions didn't feel right. He did his homework and then some on this.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
6/6/2017 4:36pm
Firefly47 wrote:
Alex Honnold may have pulled off the biggest athletic achievement we've ever seen. He scaled it in roughly 4 hours. When Royal Robbins first ascended it...
Alex Honnold may have pulled off the biggest athletic achievement we've ever seen.
He scaled it in roughly 4 hours.
When Royal Robbins first ascended it with all equipment needed, it took him 7 full days.
I think it's insane that on the way up, he was passing people who were camped out on the face. Can't even begin to imagine how easy he made something so difficult look.
RhinoRider
6/8/2017 10:11am Edited Date/Time 6/8/2017 10:15am
To him, it's no different than James Stewart hucking a quad quad triple. It's confidence in your skill.
That thing dwarfs the empire state building very top tip by double.

He's lucky, because it can turn into a blizzard up there all 12 months in literally minutes and he doesn't need much time. The mountains make their own weather.

The pics on the post above on the el cap report are gnarly.

Post a reply to: Climber Completes the Most Dangerous Ascent Ever

The Latest