Changing oil

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
I have a Toyota Rav 4 that I bought new. It came with oil changes for a while from the dealership but that ended with the last oil change. So I need to start changing it myself. I had a question about synthetic oil and if that is what I have to use. It says in the manual to use 02 W20 which is a synthetic oil but also says that you can use 05 W20 which comes in synthetic and multiblend... But says that if you use 05 W20 to go back to the 02 W20 on next oil change.
I have searched all over the web and can't get a straight answer on the results that convinces me one way or the other what my options are. I really don't want to use Synthetic but I would like to know if I have to or not. I don't know if since it has been synthetic thus far if I can change to a multiblend. Anybody have any experience with this?
|
1/25/2017 1:57pm
You are unlikely to find a 0W-20 or a 5W-20 that isn't at least semi-synthetic. As long as the oil meets the viscosity and API requirements, it doesn't matter if it is semi or full synthetic though for protection and performance. Full synthetic means longer oil drains are possible and semi will be cheaper upfront. All else depends on your brand choice with regards to benefits one way or another.
newmann
1/25/2017 2:10pm
Pay close attention to the weight of oil. Our 99 Landcruiser went in for an oil change once and thought the engine was ruined. Drove it home and the following morning it sounded like someone was beating the engine block with a hammer. I would have sworn the shop failed to put oil in but it was full on the stick. Took it back to them and they proceed to tell me it's about to toss a rod. Took it to the dealer and same diagnoses. Ended up being the wrong weight oil. Crazy. Called for 5w30 and they claimed to have put 10w30.
1/25/2017 2:22pm
no way you will convince me synthetic is better than standard oil under normal driving conditions.

The Shop

seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
1/25/2017 2:46pm
I don't know why anyone wouldn't use a good synthetic oil. Being better lubrication aside, why not for the extended intervals? I change my trucks oil and filter every 15,000 miles rather than 3,000-5,000 range.
JRT812
1/25/2017 3:09pm
I use mobile 1 0w-20 full synthetic on my wife's 5th gen 4Runner. Pennzoil 5w30 Platinum full synthetic on my Silverado. Wix filters for both. I agree with Seth505 not sure why someone wouldn't want to go with synthetic unless it is a high mileage. Something weird about that manual. I know of manuals making different suggestions based off outside temps tires but I would stick with the weight that the dealership has been using.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/25/2017 3:29pm
You can use Semi- and full synthetic and switch back and forth with no problems, by the way. The myth that you have to stick with full syn was propagated by the oil companies in the '70s. Just don't mix them together in the same oil change.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
1/25/2017 4:55pm
no way you will convince me synthetic is better than standard oil under normal driving conditions.
I feel the same way. That is why I wanted opinions on some options. I had a Toyota truck with 450,000 miles on it and didn't have a problem with conventional. I look at it as a scam, much like hub assemblies replacing wheel bearings. Biggest scam ever.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
1/25/2017 4:58pm
I guess I can call the dealership and see what brand oil they used. I imagine it was genuine Toyota or something like that. I was always just a firm believer in always using the same brand oil. I always settled on Valvoline myself.
olddude
1/25/2017 6:09pm
Why not stick with the dealer?
Local Honda dealer here charges a whole whopping 49.95 for full syn 0/20, free rotation (not balance) and a inspection.
I can't imagine it's too much more in WV at a Yoter dealer.
1/25/2017 6:14pm
I feel the same way. That is why I wanted opinions on some options. I had a Toyota truck with 450,000 miles on it and didn't...
I feel the same way. That is why I wanted opinions on some options. I had a Toyota truck with 450,000 miles on it and didn't have a problem with conventional. I look at it as a scam, much like hub assemblies replacing wheel bearings. Biggest scam ever.
So what is your question then? If you can switch back and forth between semi and full synthetic? Yes.

I 've never heard of a conventional 0W-20. It's possible, although I don't know of any, for a conventional 5W-20. Even if you did find one though, I would steer clear since it probably would need napthenic base oil to attain the low temperature characteristics, which would be....less than desirable.
MR. X
1/25/2017 6:40pm
I use mobile 1 in the ST and the cavalier ,it's always on sale with a free oil filter and only cost slightly more then conventional .
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
1/25/2017 6:55pm
olddude wrote:
Why not stick with the dealer? Local Honda dealer here charges a whole whopping 49.95 for full syn 0/20, free rotation (not balance) and a inspection...
Why not stick with the dealer?
Local Honda dealer here charges a whole whopping 49.95 for full syn 0/20, free rotation (not balance) and a inspection.
I can't imagine it's too much more in WV at a Yoter dealer.
The dealer is $75. That is kind of why I was looking. The drive through oil change places are $70.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
1/25/2017 6:56pm
I feel the same way. That is why I wanted opinions on some options. I had a Toyota truck with 450,000 miles on it and didn't...
So what is your question then? If you can switch back and forth between semi and full synthetic? Yes. I 've never heard of a conventional...
So what is your question then? If you can switch back and forth between semi and full synthetic? Yes.

I 've never heard of a conventional 0W-20. It's possible, although I don't know of any, for a conventional 5W-20. Even if you did find one though, I would steer clear since it probably would need napthenic base oil to attain the low temperature characteristics, which would be....less than desirable.
Kind of all of the above. I would prefer a non synthetic option but it doesn't look like there is one.
JRT812
1/25/2017 7:14pm
So what is your question then? If you can switch back and forth between semi and full synthetic? Yes. I 've never heard of a conventional...

0w-20 is common for Toyota
mxer146
1/25/2017 9:50pm Edited Date/Time 1/25/2017 9:51pm
I managed an oil change shop for over 7 years. 0w20 is the new way in all the jap cars. Helps with emissions and fuel mileage. If you had them done at the dealer before, they used synthetic. 0w20 is not possible to make in a conventional oil at this time. Some companies (Honda) market it as a conventional for the price point, but it's just not possible due to the refinement process. Use a good oil (Mobil, Valvoline) and change it every 5000. Can't do wrong.

Ask GuyB, he serviced the VitalMX Tundra at my shop in Orange County. Nothing but the best in his truck.
borg
1/26/2017 7:27am
I have a Toyota Rav 4 that I bought new. It came with oil changes for a while from the dealership but that ended with the...
I have a Toyota Rav 4 that I bought new. It came with oil changes for a while from the dealership but that ended with the last oil change. So I need to start changing it myself. I had a question about synthetic oil and if that is what I have to use. It says in the manual to use 02 W20 which is a synthetic oil but also says that you can use 05 W20 which comes in synthetic and multiblend... But says that if you use 05 W20 to go back to the 02 W20 on next oil change.
I have searched all over the web and can't get a straight answer on the results that convinces me one way or the other what my options are. I really don't want to use Synthetic but I would like to know if I have to or not. I don't know if since it has been synthetic thus far if I can change to a multiblend. Anybody have any experience with this?
I used to change the oil myself. I'm a major cheap ass. Got tired of dealing with the drain oil. Hassle isn't worth $31. I get the oil changed every 5K when they rotate tires. A tip from your uncle borg, when you get new tires, make sure the dealer does oil changes and there is a taco/beer joint within walking distance.
tuggy450
1/26/2017 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2017 5:53pm
I too started using synthetic oil but mostly only in the cars that we use that get driven lots of miles in short periods of time. I use an extended mileage filter and can avoid frequent oil/filter changes. Otherwise some of the cars would need oil changes like every 2 or really 2 and a half months. I just feel like It is too frequent. If I double the mileage on synthetic it can get me through the winter or summer without worrying about oil changes. Time saver.
SEE ARE125
1/26/2017 6:54pm
Go with Toyota oil filters. Not sure what the deal is, but I was always told Toyotas would tick with any other filter. I thought it was BS, until I put a generic filter on my 2000 Tacoma 2.7L and got the tick. Went back to a Toyota filter and it went away. Then I noticed all the decent independent oil change shops had WIX filters, and beside those, stacks of Toyota filters. Anyone know what's up with that?

Post a reply to: Changing oil

The Latest