Cell phone service question

71Fish
6/13/2016 8:51am
Probably a dumb question but I don't know answer. I kind of find the answer on the google but not confident on the answer.

My wife and I have Utah numbers with T-Mobile. She is currently in Argentina. If I call her Utah number or she calls me, will there be long distance/roaming charges? The phones are both iphone 5's so we can't Wi-Fi call.
|
Dtat720
6/13/2016 9:13am
Call T-Mobile and tell them she is out of country and have her phone switched temporarily. Otherwise you will pay heavy international roaming charges.
MR. X
6/13/2016 9:17am
We have to call att a few times a year and get charges dropped ,depending on close to the Canadian border we are ,we might be picking up a Rogers cell signal and not even realize it. You will get charged roaming fees for sure.
71Fish
6/13/2016 9:22am
She's there because her dad died last week so there isn't a real need for us to talk everyday. She is busy spending the time with her mother. We have texted a few times since she arrived this morning so we are able to communicate.
TailSoHard
6/13/2016 9:28am
I'd try Skype if she has access to a decent internet connection and computer. You can do either a voice call or a video call. Should be all free too.

The Shop

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
6/13/2016 9:31am
You might be paying quite a lot for those texts if she is roaming, plus international charges...

I would call T-Mobile and tell them she is temporarily out of the country and they should be able to help you out.
dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
6/13/2016 9:40am
get a app called textfree....and text for free until she gets closer to home.....then call her....
71Fish
6/13/2016 9:46am
disbanded wrote:
You might be paying quite a lot for those texts if she is roaming, plus international charges... I would call T-Mobile and tell them she is...
You might be paying quite a lot for those texts if she is roaming, plus international charges...

I would call T-Mobile and tell them she is temporarily out of the country and they should be able to help you out.
We have free text and data. Just not sure about the calling.
71Fish
6/13/2016 9:46am
TailSoHard wrote:
I'd try Skype if she has access to a decent internet connection and computer. You can do either a voice call or a video call. Should...
I'd try Skype if she has access to a decent internet connection and computer. You can do either a voice call or a video call. Should be all free too.
We can use the Apple facetime app if she gets to an internet café.
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
6/13/2016 10:00am
disbanded wrote:
You might be paying quite a lot for those texts if she is roaming, plus international charges... I would call T-Mobile and tell them she is...

71Fish wrote:
Looks like you can receive texts for free, but sending them to Mexico costs 50 cents per text
71Fish
6/13/2016 10:02am
disbanded wrote:

71Fish wrote:
disbanded wrote:
Looks like you can receive texts for free, but sending them to Mexico costs 50 cents per text
Well I hope it's free, lol.
Rooster
6/13/2016 10:34am
disbanded wrote:
You understand that Argentina isn't in Mexico right?

It's not even on the same continent.

disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
6/13/2016 10:37am
Rooster wrote:
You understand that Argentina isn't in Mexico right?

It's not even on the same continent.

Oops, my mistake.

Still costs the same...
newmann
6/13/2016 1:03pm
Yeah, you might want to check those rates. The wife had an "international" plan with Verizon when our son deployed overseas to Spain. When he left there and hit the Canary Islands, Dakar and then on to Liberia the charges were beyond mind boggling. Just f'n criminal what the do to the mil kids. Couldn't cancel the service or anything without damn near an act of congress. He ended up buying a phone and minutes in Monrovia to e-mail from until he got back to Spain.
brlatm
6/13/2016 1:25pm
Since you are iPhone 5 just use facetime to talk to each other. And to send texts since you have iMessage they are free. Been a T-Mobile user now about 3-4 years and we switched when I moved everyone to the Dominican Republic. We never got hit for too many extra charges unless it was a text to someone not on a iPhone or if I had to physically call back to the US and not on wifi calling.

I still call back from my T-Mobile plan here in Saudi and I think it runs me around $.10 a minute and works in every country I have been into with no extra charges.
PalerBlue
6/14/2016 1:41am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2016 1:42am
71Fish wrote:
She's there because her dad died last week so there isn't a real need for us to talk everyday. She is busy spending the time with...
She's there because her dad died last week so there isn't a real need for us to talk everyday. She is busy spending the time with her mother. We have texted a few times since she arrived this morning so we are able to communicate.
Sorry to hear that, it must be a stressful time for her, so hearing your voice is probably going to be comforting for her. Keep the length of call to a minimum but call anyway the charges are only money (as long as you don't go overboard).
Anyway, unless she's got access to wi-fi, the data roaming charges are going to add up quickly and 'under the counter', they're the ones that usually add up to obscene amounts.
brlatm
6/14/2016 4:18am
PalerBlue wrote:
Sorry to hear that, it must be a stressful time for her, so hearing your voice is probably going to be comforting for her. Keep the...
Sorry to hear that, it must be a stressful time for her, so hearing your voice is probably going to be comforting for her. Keep the length of call to a minimum but call anyway the charges are only money (as long as you don't go overboard).
Anyway, unless she's got access to wi-fi, the data roaming charges are going to add up quickly and 'under the counter', they're the ones that usually add up to obscene amounts.
No they won't on T-Mobile there are no data roaming charges international. I have used it in 21 countries and I have never been hit with a data roaming charge. Only charge is if I physically call someone not on wifi calling, and even then it is a minimal charge of maybe $.10 a min

Tmobile

PalerBlue
6/14/2016 8:33am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2016 8:34am
PalerBlue wrote:
Sorry to hear that, it must be a stressful time for her, so hearing your voice is probably going to be comforting for her. Keep the...
brlatm wrote:
No they won't on T-Mobile there are no data roaming charges international. I have used it in 21 countries and I have never been hit with...
No they won't on T-Mobile there are no data roaming charges international. I have used it in 21 countries and I have never been hit with a data roaming charge. Only charge is if I physically call someone not on wifi calling, and even then it is a minimal charge of maybe $.10 a min

Tmobile

O.K. It's interesting to note how different thins are indiffent countries. kids here have come back with bills in the thousands by just spending their time on face book etc while abroad. Seems like the plan of attack varys a bit in the U.S.

Post a reply to: Cell phone service question

The Latest