Cat launch vid..

KMC440
Edited Date/Time 2/4/2016 6:03pm
My Uncle George .. rest in peace ... was a CPO on the Enterprise CVN65 ... I'll never forget that insignia .. out of Oakland Alameda NAS in the 70's ... well I bumped into this while watching another of my favorites Learnig to Fly by Pink Floyd... funny how surfing gets you places ... anyhoo here's to all of my late Uncle's Navy brethren... thank you all and God bless everyone in the military.
https://youtu.be/e-V0dKwyu6E
|
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
2/3/2016 4:37pm
And here I thought I was going to see animal cruelty.

Good on your uncle... may he RIP.
Sully
2/3/2016 5:18pm
I always loved spending time on the flight deck. The guys who work up there full time are some of the hardest working folks in the entire work force.

I also have a couple dozen launches as well, and there's nothing quite like that feeling of utter chaos when the plane starts moving. Landings were fun, too. Nothing like hitting a four wire and looking out the cockpit window to see flight deck...flight deck...WATER!...all stop. Even though I knew we were all good, it was still quite the adrenaline spike.
Foghorn
2/3/2016 5:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2016 5:52pm
Cool stuff. Way out of touch on this, but have they actually implemented any electromagnetic catapults yet in an attempt to replace steam catapults?
Sully
2/3/2016 6:55pm
Foghorn wrote:
Cool stuff. Way out of touch on this, but have they actually implemented any electromagnetic catapults yet in an attempt to replace steam catapults?
The new Ford Class carrier has them, but I don't think they've worked all of the bugs out yet.

The Shop

XXVoid MainXX
2/3/2016 8:09pm
Good videos. Wish they had GoPros back when we were in Saudi. Smile I have to admit I thought this was going to involve a large slingshot and a kitten.
Parris
2/4/2016 9:56am
Godsspeed uncle George Watch the Vid. Not a Prowler but a TRAM
2/4/2016 4:17pm
Cool video but curious if they could still launch without the help of the catapult?
motogeezer
2/4/2016 4:41pm
Cool video but curious if they could still launch without the help of the catapult?
Nope.

When I clicked this thread, I was expecting something like this:

2/4/2016 5:02pm
Maybe. A slick jet (no externals), 40 knots of wind over the deck and the entire deck to make the run (1050 feet or so). It hasn't been done in so long, I don't know if anyone really knows anymore.
2/4/2016 5:05pm
Foghorn wrote:
Sully wrote:
The new Ford Class carrier has them, but I don't think they've worked all of the bugs out yet.
True, but as you noted, EMALS is here and will be made to work.
Sully
2/4/2016 5:11pm
Maybe. A slick jet (no externals), 40 knots of wind over the deck and the entire deck to make the run (1050 feet or so). It...
Maybe. A slick jet (no externals), 40 knots of wind over the deck and the entire deck to make the run (1050 feet or so). It hasn't been done in so long, I don't know if anyone really knows anymore.
Like Harry said; with a shitload of wind coming across the deck, a slick plane with minimal gas, and the entire length of the flight deck, it could be possible.

In the 60s, the Navy successfully tested the feasibility of landing/launching a C130 on USS Forrestal...

Post a reply to: Cat launch vid..

The Latest