Career shift opinions

urbanlift707
I own a commercial sign shop/ outdoor advertising company. I've been going over my business numbers and have come to a conclusion that I could maybe split my company into two companies, the sign shop and the outdoor advertising company. As it is right now I work my ass off, usually 50-60 hours a week. I'm on the phone at least 4 hours a day and constantly running full throttle. I do generally enjoy running my business though and am grateful to be my own boss. But would love to not have 30 people demanding shit from me all day long.

Fourtently I've done very well so far, I bought the business in 2012, it's gross sales was around $380k a year. I'm now doing around $1.7 mil a year in gross sales.

I take home around $150k in salary a year and being as I own the business have been able to receive around $180k in benefits a year. (New "work" trucks, skidsteers, gas, health etc)

So here's the question, if I split the company my billboard side nets around $165k a year. I can keep this company, for work load I'd probably put in at most 10 hours a month to keep it running and my boards sold. Ideally I could sell the sign shop for a pretty good price and invest that in places as well. But I'd be giving up $160-$200k a year.

I'm young, only 32 with two little kids. I own 5.5 acres outright and am just finishing my house on it, I'll probably have a mortgage of $350k on a $800k house /property.

Am I stupid to want to give up $160-200k a year to not work? Basically if you had a choice between working your ass off and making $300-$350k a year or pretty much just chilling and making $165k what would you do?
|
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
12/6/2016 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 12/6/2016 9:47pm
I own a commercial sign shop/ outdoor advertising company. I've been going over my business numbers and have come to a conclusion that I could maybe...
I own a commercial sign shop/ outdoor advertising company. I've been going over my business numbers and have come to a conclusion that I could maybe split my company into two companies, the sign shop and the outdoor advertising company. As it is right now I work my ass off, usually 50-60 hours a week. I'm on the phone at least 4 hours a day and constantly running full throttle. I do generally enjoy running my business though and am grateful to be my own boss. But would love to not have 30 people demanding shit from me all day long.

Fourtently I've done very well so far, I bought the business in 2012, it's gross sales was around $380k a year. I'm now doing around $1.7 mil a year in gross sales.

I take home around $150k in salary a year and being as I own the business have been able to receive around $180k in benefits a year. (New "work" trucks, skidsteers, gas, health etc)

So here's the question, if I split the company my billboard side nets around $165k a year. I can keep this company, for work load I'd probably put in at most 10 hours a month to keep it running and my boards sold. Ideally I could sell the sign shop for a pretty good price and invest that in places as well. But I'd be giving up $160-$200k a year.

I'm young, only 32 with two little kids. I own 5.5 acres outright and am just finishing my house on it, I'll probably have a mortgage of $350k on a $800k house /property.

Am I stupid to want to give up $160-200k a year to not work? Basically if you had a choice between working your ass off and making $300-$350k a year or pretty much just chilling and making $165k what would you do?
Heres what I would say. Obviously, you've been very successful with your business. That tells me you must have a very good finger on the pulse of the sign/outdoor advertising business. In other words, you're the expert, so trust yourself because the odds are pretty high that your decision will be the right one. Im sure you are leaning one way over the other, so go with your gut. Anything can happen, but you sound like you've hedged yourself pretty well. Just my .02 cents.
rongi#401
12/7/2016 1:23am
i would chill. pay someone elts to run the other business......
mingham97
12/7/2016 3:53am
rongi#401 wrote:
Yep! Pay them 80k pa to do all the stuff you currently do!
BMR179
Fantasy
1263rd
12/7/2016 5:59am
At your age, time with family, especially young kids, is the most important thing. Yes, you have to "work" or keep yourself occupied, but that 10 hours a month and netting 165K is sweet. The money you receive from the sale of your sign shop could be invested in rental property or something that does not require daily supervision.

The time spent with your kids is quality and they will remember it. Years go by fast, so take advantage NOW.

Some advice from an old guy.

The Shop

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
12/7/2016 1:22pm
BMR179 wrote:
At your age, time with family, especially young kids, is the most important thing. Yes, you have to "work" or keep yourself occupied, but that 10...
At your age, time with family, especially young kids, is the most important thing. Yes, you have to "work" or keep yourself occupied, but that 10 hours a month and netting 165K is sweet. The money you receive from the sale of your sign shop could be invested in rental property or something that does not require daily supervision.

The time spent with your kids is quality and they will remember it. Years go by fast, so take advantage NOW.

Some advice from an old guy.
X2.

Split the businesses, sell the one and invest the proceeds. You won't make as much $ but you'll still be benefiting from the move and working fewer hours.
NV825
Fantasy
2730th
12/7/2016 2:22pm
rongi#401 wrote:
mingham97 wrote:
Yep! Pay them 80k pa to do all the stuff you currently do!
I agree with these guys. Obviously there are a whole lot of challenges when it comes to employees (assuming you have none right now), but if you find the right person then you could get the extra time back and only lose a small portion of the income.
Homey55
12/7/2016 3:57pm
Work to Live or Live to Work...

Sounds like you want to reduce your workload. Take that money and invest for retirement. Life is short.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
12/7/2016 4:20pm
Knowing what I know now, I'd have found a way to cut my work load back regardless of income. I can't complain about what I've accomplished so far, but I'd go back and do it all over again for more time at home with the family.
motosmith
12/7/2016 4:44pm
"I could sell the sign shop for a pretty good price"

I guess the decision to sell would depend on what "pretty good" is.

Another factor is if the buyer is paying cash.
JAFO92
12/7/2016 6:15pm

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “Only a little while."

The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The American replied, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”
urbanlift707
12/7/2016 8:08pm
Thanks for the thoughts, they are inline with what I was thinking. No doubt hardly working and making good money is a dream come true, I just wanted a diverse set of opinions on the idea of leaving the rest of the money on the table. I'm going to meet with some financial advisors and my cpa to get their opinions as well.

Anyone wanna move to Humboldt and buy a sign shop??Woohoo
71Fish
12/8/2016 4:13am
Maybe stick it out a few more years before splitting. Then after that, to work so few hours to make that salary is a no brainer for me. Just make sure you won't be bored.
Homey55
12/8/2016 9:35am
Thanks for the thoughts, they are inline with what I was thinking. No doubt hardly working and making good money is a dream come true, I...
Thanks for the thoughts, they are inline with what I was thinking. No doubt hardly working and making good money is a dream come true, I just wanted a diverse set of opinions on the idea of leaving the rest of the money on the table. I'm going to meet with some financial advisors and my cpa to get their opinions as well.

Where in Humboldt?
TXDirt
12/8/2016 7:37pm
Take on a partner for the sign shop. You could sell a chunk of the business to a partner, let them take some of the work load off you and continue to grow the business. These are your working years. Bank some more cash over the next 8-10 years then retire and hopefully not worry about money ever again.
12/9/2016 7:16am
Thanks for the thoughts, they are inline with what I was thinking. No doubt hardly working and making good money is a dream come true, I...

5 bucks? No seriously iff you are looking for a partner i might be interested if its affordable. Thats 1 way of getting a green card for me so i'm keeping my options open.
Homey55
12/9/2016 7:52am
I'm 5 hours north of San Fran
I know where Humboldt is, I graduated from there...I was curious where in Humboldt do you have your business?
newmann
12/9/2016 9:02am
I'm close to being in the same boat except I'm 51 and the kids are grown. One business occupies a ton of time, the other a minimal amount.

Will selling the sign shop net you enough to pay off all your debt? Will it put you some money in the bank? Or will you have that 350K mortgage with no real money in the bank? How much are property taxes on that 800K property? Home, auto, health and life insurance? Utilities? Can you swing it all on $165,000.00 a year that will still be taxable income? You have state income tax out there as well, correct?
urbanlift707
12/9/2016 6:51pm
Homey55 wrote:
I know where Humboldt is, I graduated from there...I was curious where in Humboldt do you have your business?
Sorry should have read your post better, my shop is in Eureka.
urbanlift707
12/9/2016 7:08pm
newmann wrote:
I'm close to being in the same boat except I'm 51 and the kids are grown. One business occupies a ton of time, the other a...
I'm close to being in the same boat except I'm 51 and the kids are grown. One business occupies a ton of time, the other a minimal amount.

Will selling the sign shop net you enough to pay off all your debt? Will it put you some money in the bank? Or will you have that 350K mortgage with no real money in the bank? How much are property taxes on that 800K property? Home, auto, health and life insurance? Utilities? Can you swing it all on $165,000.00 a year that will still be taxable income? You have state income tax out there as well, correct?
I'm pretty much debt free except for my house/land and a note to the original owner of the business. I honestly have no clue how to value a business, if we use the same formula as we used when I bought this business in 2012 it would be worth around $1 million. I've also purchased about $150k in equipment since that time so I'd hope there is added value with that. But being worth that and having someone pay me that are two very separate things. Of that "million" I'd pretty much bank it all less about $90k to pay off my original loan.

The 165k would be more than enough to sustain my currrent lifestyle. I just had a long discussion with a friend whose pretty savvy in business, he's strongly advinging that I keep the business and hire a foreman to substantially lower my workload. There is a lot of detail in it but he has a very strong argument for doing that.

We'll see I've got a solid 6 months lined up of some pretty good jobs, so I'm doing anything yet.
APLMAN99
12/9/2016 7:26pm
newmann wrote:
I'm close to being in the same boat except I'm 51 and the kids are grown. One business occupies a ton of time, the other a...

I'm pretty much debt free except for my house/land and a note to the original owner of the business. I honestly have no clue how to...
I'm pretty much debt free except for my house/land and a note to the original owner of the business. I honestly have no clue how to value a business, if we use the same formula as we used when I bought this business in 2012 it would be worth around $1 million. I've also purchased about $150k in equipment since that time so I'd hope there is added value with that. But being worth that and having someone pay me that are two very separate things. Of that "million" I'd pretty much bank it all less about $90k to pay off my original loan.

The 165k would be more than enough to sustain my currrent lifestyle. I just had a long discussion with a friend whose pretty savvy in business, he's strongly advinging that I keep the business and hire a foreman to substantially lower my workload. There is a lot of detail in it but he has a very strong argument for doing that.

We'll see I've got a solid 6 months lined up of some pretty good jobs, so I'm doing anything yet.
If you can get 5-6 times your annual net income out of it, that might make selling it a decent choice.......

newmann
12/9/2016 10:57pm
Ebit...ebitda...blah blah blah. Cash is king. Wink Congrats on being so close, yet so young!

Post a reply to: Career shift opinions

The Latest