Canadians WTF?

ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2015 2:59pm
So my parents have a condo in North Vancouver that they want to get rid of this year so my son asks
his grand parents if he can go spend some time there before they sell it. He takes some time off of
school, I loan him my truck, he loads his bike and heads off to Canada with his Oma (Grand mother).
We live in So Cal, it's a drive.
Gets to the border and they ask how long he's going to stay he tells them maybe a couple of weeks.
They go through his phone and find a text that he might not come home for 2 months and they go ballistic.
They decide he's coming up to be an illegal worker and threaten to throw him and his Oma in jail. They decide
he doesn't have enough money to live on (he has literally no expenses while he's there but food and fun) and
the $2,000 isn't enough. They didn't believe him his medical insurance was good in Canada during his visit.
they end up NOT letting him and his Oma in Canada. Today they tried again with letter from Insurance company
and some extra funds and paperwork that he's still a registered student at his university.
They got in today but WOW. Guess they don't like folks with motorcycles coming in country.
Who would have thunk it's so hard to visit Canada?
TM
|
XXVoid MainXX
2/2/2015 12:08pm
WTF, they went though his text messages? Really? Note to self, don't visit Canada, and if you do mail your phone to yourself and get it when you get there.
peelout
2/2/2015 12:15pm
wow man... what an unfortunate story. glad your boy and Oma got into the country. what a bunch of bullshit
2/2/2015 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 7:52am
Not surprised in the least, almost ALL gov'mnt workers I come across are on some kind of holier than thou power trip.
From my experience going into Vermont and New York to ski is pretty easy.
Never tried it with a bike though, Unadilla will be a first for me, better to have papers in order
for the bikes and everything.

Just remembered some guys from the Beta / Gas Gas shop went down for an enduro
in SC last week. They don't seem to have any issues ever.

Glad he finally got through !

scooter5002
2/2/2015 3:13pm
I've got news for you, you can, and possibly WILL, receive the same treatment from CBP, as a Canadian entering the U.S. Same goes for a U.S. citizen returning home. When you enter a border crossing, you surrender all your rights, other than to be treated with some respect. I crossed the border while trucking, for close to 30 years, and trust me, you get REAL tired of the bullshit. An example of how things work, up here, a DUI is a criminal code offense. In the States, it's a lesser offense, but you WILL be denied entry to Canada, if they find in a search on your record, while into the computer. (Yes, each country shares data with the other.) You are a criminal, according to Canadian law, and you ain't getting in. Same for me, if I have a conviction for simple assault, I will be turned around, and sent home. Border people have more power than any lower level LEO, and your "rights" don't mean shit.

Sucks about your boy, but they can go through his phone, and there isn't one fucking thing he can do about it. It sounds like he ran into the wrong douche, but whoever he dealt with, did what they are legally allowed to do, without fear of reprisal. If they wanted to, they could have dragged him into a private room, and shoved a gloved finger up his ass, and he can do NOTHING. WELL, except wait, if he refuses, and they hold him until he takes a dump. Welcome to the world of border crossing.

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/2/2015 3:17pm
I wish we could do the same thing here to keep you California bastards out of Colorado. Pinch
Barrett57
2/2/2015 4:30pm
My visa was so easy when I arrived in Canada, (which is a bigger deal than just crossing the border) asked for my acceptance letter, told me to get a sin number and good luck welcome to Canada. Really depends on who you get and what mood they are in. Didn't even ask for insurance, proof of funds or where I was going.
bronwynrayne
2/2/2015 5:48pm
I have never experienced this at the border and I hop that shit frequently... But trust me when I say that if you encounter the wrong person who feels like ruining your day you aren't going to have a good time regardless of your citizenship or the border crossing.
Foghorn
2/2/2015 5:57pm
Most of them are wannabe cops and at the same level as a minimum wage security guard. Give them a little power and they will wield it to the best of their bonehead ability. There are a some decent ones without the security guard complex. Goes for both sides of the border.
bronwynrayne
2/2/2015 7:57pm
That's ok BUTCHY, Canada hates you too.
America loves me. I get asked one or two questions every time I cross the border, and the last time I went on a big trip there we were gone for two weeks and they asked me how the wedding was then waved us through. My ex looks at me with huge eyes and says "I can't believe that just happened. They tear the truck apart every time I come back from the states."
BUTCHY
2/2/2015 8:03pm
That's ok BUTCHY, Canada hates you too. America loves me. I get asked one or two questions every time I cross the border, and the last...
That's ok BUTCHY, Canada hates you too.
America loves me. I get asked one or two questions every time I cross the border, and the last time I went on a big trip there we were gone for two weeks and they asked me how the wedding was then waved us through. My ex looks at me with huge eyes and says "I can't believe that just happened. They tear the truck apart every time I come back from the states."
71Fish
2/2/2015 8:31pm
I don't know when it became customary for border agents to be assholes. I think 9/11 had a lot to do with it. When I went to Canada on my motorcycle in 2004, we didn't have any problems what so ever. Just the usual, "how long are you here", "where are you going" type of questions.

Then in 2010-2011 I was stationed in South Korea for a year. When I came home on my mid tour leave all I had was a backpack. I have a house with clothes, furniture and a wife in Utah, but the agent in San Francisco was asking me why I didn't have any luggage. Kind of caught me off guard. All I could think to say was "I live here". A few more questions later it came around to my mid tour, but he was an ass about it. Just be polite and welcoming to people visiting or returning to the country.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
2/2/2015 9:15pm
when i went into Canada i did not have any other issues than when i go into the states, and GB, but i normally fly in and out with return tickets already booked, the States now requires us to book in online before we come in, where as we used to be able to just get a visa waiver on arrival,

i got the 3rd degree going back into GB from France on the EuroStar line one year, I was flying out a day later but they still gave me a bit of a hard time as I had flown into Holland, I just try to be pleasant and answer any questions as best i can,

I know some people have had a hard time on the way into NZ as well, they are anal on food (esp Fruit) being brought in,

I think it comes down to the Border Patrol,
domoguchi
2/3/2015 1:45am
Times are changing and countries are trying to protect themselves more than ever from any treat, be it real or not....
tomm55x
2/3/2015 5:04am
Last time I went to Toronto they searched my vehicle and were busting my balls but let me through, on the way back to the usa they were pretty friendly and didn't ask more than 5 questions before they let me through, I like Canada, people are friendly, girls are pretty and friendly which is a bonus and Toronto was clean, for a non city person such as myself it has been pretty good experiences going on up there.
Spydee
2/3/2015 5:04am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 5:04am
What I don't understand is that when I was in Texas I was told that being a foreigner, I must keep my passport on me 24/7 regardless of the fact that I carry a valid photo UK drivers license as ID. Needless to say I didn't follow the advice, as the risk of being mugged and having my passport stolen seemed more likely than me being scoped out and investigated by the cops.

I'd never heard of it before in any other State I've visited though... is it actually a law or just bad advice?
71Fish
2/3/2015 5:20am
Spydee wrote:
What I don't understand is that when I was in Texas I was told that being a foreigner, I must keep my passport on me 24/7...
What I don't understand is that when I was in Texas I was told that being a foreigner, I must keep my passport on me 24/7 regardless of the fact that I carry a valid photo UK drivers license as ID. Needless to say I didn't follow the advice, as the risk of being mugged and having my passport stolen seemed more likely than me being scoped out and investigated by the cops.

I'd never heard of it before in any other State I've visited though... is it actually a law or just bad advice?
That would make sense closer to the Rio Grande, but that's about it. It's much more common in Europe for people to have a passport than in the US. Not to say it doesn't happen, but it isn't common to be asked for a passport in the US anywhere other than at border crossings or at the airport.
Spydee
2/3/2015 5:27am
Yeah that's what I figured, what with it being so close to the border I assumed it must just be a Southern State law because of the Mexicans!
71Fish
2/3/2015 6:12am
Spydee wrote:
Yeah that's what I figured, what with it being so close to the border I assumed it must just be a Southern State law because of...
Yeah that's what I figured, what with it being so close to the border I assumed it must just be a Southern State law because of the Mexicans!
I'm only assuming you look pretty white, so being mistaken for a Mexican shouldn't be an issue, even though some are blonde. Just don't grow a bushy mustache and wear a sombrero.
Spydee
2/3/2015 6:18am
Haha true! I'm certainly lacking in the tan department thanks to this British weather.
71Fish
2/3/2015 6:40am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2015 6:41am
Spydee wrote:
Haha true! I'm certainly lacking in the tan department thanks to this British weather.
Yeah, when I moved from Germany to the high desert in southern CA, I almost fried my brain during the first week. And this was in October.
Foghorn
2/3/2015 7:50am
BUTCHY wrote:
I hate canaduuuh!
As soon as Butchy's nuts drop and he gets a drivers license, he needs to come up here so we can have a little soccer practice with him.Woohoo
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
2/3/2015 7:57am
I used to travel a lot for work, a couple of stamps shy of a full passport. I never have encountered such hostility by the BP.
I have had them doing their job thorough and performing what I thought was excessive search but I also traveled to some
places where there was a lot of drugs smuggled from. From what my son told me they were just jerks, threatened to throw him and my mom in jail. My mom who is in her 80s, they told her they could take away her condo if they want. Just total power trip.
Really? You're going to throw someone in jail for going on vacation? That hasn't even broken a law? How many kids go to Europe and trek around till their money runs out with no schedule? Now it's a crime to not have a schedule?
TM
scooter5002
2/3/2015 8:41am
That's definitely over the top, in what you just posted there. You have the right to file a complaint, and I would, just so that goes on the profile of the officers involved. They can't threaten you with anything, without having grounds to do so. Unless your son isn't telling you something about the initial discussion with an officer, this doesn't sound routine. However, with your mother in the truck, she also knows what happened. If that was me, I'd be driving back to the Blaine port, and start the complaint process. Wtf, your boy is on vacation, he's got the time. There are still rules these dicks have to follow, and they are not above a reprimand, if they broke protocol.
2/3/2015 10:14am
I'm with Scooter, I suggest filing a complaint. Yes it is over the top, those guys at the border have a serious power trip issue. Stuff like this is on of the reason I don't travel well. heck I have enough of our local police force bullying people and myself just for choosing to drive vintage VW's or a lifted Toy PU. Always on the lookout for them, as they spell trouble most of the time. Things sure have changed over the last 10-15 years or so..
Spydee
2/4/2015 12:13am
Spydee wrote:
71Fish wrote:
Yeah, when I moved from Germany to the high desert in southern CA, I almost fried my brain during the first week. And this was in...
Yeah, when I moved from Germany to the high desert in southern CA, I almost fried my brain during the first week. And this was in October.
If you ever need a break from the Californian climate, gimme a shout and we'll house swap for a summer Silly
PalerBlue
2/4/2015 1:42am
I didn't enjoy the friendly greeting I received from Canadian Immigration some years ago when we took a vacation in Nova Scotia. After the grilling we got, the "I hope you enjoy your stay" but it didn't make up for the initial impression.

Pretty much all North American Immigration officers are petty, officious and in love with their power. Being grilled at the start of a vacation in L.A. by a hostile Chinese woman who could barely speak English will live with me forever. My wife got the third degree on a business trip to NCR by Atlanta immigration. That one could have cost NCR a few million dollars.

I'm not looking forward to meeting U.S. immigration again in a couple of weeks. The only way we can get to our vacation destination of San Jose in Costa Rica is a connecting flight via Houston. For some obscure reason this now involves clearing immigration and customs in the U.S. filling out all the pathetic forms and, worst of all, having to fucking pay for a U.S visa! I really hoping I can keep my tongue in check when I get the inevitable question "what's the purpose of your visit?".
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
2/4/2015 1:55am
PalerBlue wrote:
I didn't enjoy the friendly greeting I received from Canadian Immigration some years ago when we took a vacation in Nova Scotia. After the grilling we...
I didn't enjoy the friendly greeting I received from Canadian Immigration some years ago when we took a vacation in Nova Scotia. After the grilling we got, the "I hope you enjoy your stay" but it didn't make up for the initial impression.

Pretty much all North American Immigration officers are petty, officious and in love with their power. Being grilled at the start of a vacation in L.A. by a hostile Chinese woman who could barely speak English will live with me forever. My wife got the third degree on a business trip to NCR by Atlanta immigration. That one could have cost NCR a few million dollars.

I'm not looking forward to meeting U.S. immigration again in a couple of weeks. The only way we can get to our vacation destination of San Jose in Costa Rica is a connecting flight via Houston. For some obscure reason this now involves clearing immigration and customs in the U.S. filling out all the pathetic forms and, worst of all, having to fucking pay for a U.S visa! I really hoping I can keep my tongue in check when I get the inevitable question "what's the purpose of your visit?".
try flying to Heathrow from NZ on air nz, fly 13 hours you get off the plane, sit in a transit lounge, pass through US customs, then get back in the same seat, and fly 12 hours, but you have to do a ESTA visa applcation before you leave,

Post a reply to: Canadians WTF?

The Latest