California Drought...scary!

Titan1
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2015 8:43pm
http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/californias-drought/?ftag=ACQ91b4377

Some of these pictures don't even seem real.

|
IWreckALot
5/12/2015 10:26am
Dang man those are some crazy pictures.

Texas has been in a drought for about 4 or 5 years now but nowhere near that bad. This spring we finally got enough rain to fill up the lakes with even more coming.
71Fish
5/12/2015 11:35am
They have no one to blame but themselves, and the Delta Smelt.
A. DLeary
5/12/2015 1:50pm
Seems they didn't conserve water when things were good and are paying for it now.
You see the same crap with this idea that, "You can't take your money when you die so spend it all."
Problem is when you hit a drought and haven't saved water or money or whatever other resource it is you end up fucked.

The Shop

Xracerdone
5/12/2015 4:57pm
A. DLeary wrote:
Seems they didn't conserve water when things were good and are paying for it now. You see the same crap with this idea that, "You can't...
Seems they didn't conserve water when things were good and are paying for it now.
You see the same crap with this idea that, "You can't take your money when you die so spend it all."
Problem is when you hit a drought and haven't saved water or money or whatever other resource it is you end up fucked.
It's not so much they didn't conserve, it's really more no one built any damns or reservoirs like the Corp of Engineers told them too but the enviro nuts blocked everyone & that is why they have no water. One good thing is now the corp is going to move forward with damn & reservoir projects that have been in the planning stages for years no longer constrained by the whacky enviro nuts.
bsm121
5/12/2015 8:16pm
I read it takes a gallon of water to grow 1 almond....maybe they should stop growing almonds.
The Rock
5/13/2015 9:05am
It takes 660 gallons of water for ONE hamburger. Here is a list of various food products and their associated water requirements.
jeffro503
5/13/2015 9:44am
Weird how the entire planets ecosystems are changing. Droughts in some places , floods and hurricanes in others. The poor East coast gets hit every year with North pole conditions. I gotta say , I'm really happy living where I am right now. The weather systems are changing drastically. I wonder what everything will look like in 10 , 20 or even 30yrs from now. Greenland will be totally thawed , along with major amounts of N. and S. poles and the seas will ride...a lot. Doesn't look good for cities sitting at sea level. Some scary stuff.
rosebud441
5/13/2015 9:55am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2015 9:55am
Buy property Jeffro,, there will be droves of climate refugees descending on the PNW looking for water, mild temps, and our WEED!!

no shit...
jeffro503
5/13/2015 10:14am
rosebud441 wrote:
Buy property Jeffro,, there will be droves of climate refugees descending on the PNW looking for water, mild temps, and our WEED!!

no shit...
I hear ya , and it's already happening. Being a contractor here in the NW , i seem to be doing a LOT of renovation work for new home owners that just moved here from another state. I can't keep up at times and have had to give some work away because there was no way I had the time to do it. Time to expand my operations a little I guess.
Titan1
5/13/2015 10:39am
A. DLeary wrote:
Seems they didn't conserve water when things were good and are paying for it now. You see the same crap with this idea that, "You can't...
Xracerdone wrote:
It's not so much they didn't conserve, it's really more no one built any damns or reservoirs like the Corp of Engineers told them too but...
It's not so much they didn't conserve, it's really more no one built any damns or reservoirs like the Corp of Engineers told them too but the enviro nuts blocked everyone & that is why they have no water. One good thing is now the corp is going to move forward with damn & reservoir projects that have been in the planning stages for years no longer constrained by the whacky enviro nuts.
This!

The environmentalists are the ones to blame. If they'd of allowed the state to build reservoirs (to save up the water from the wet years) they'd be able to weather this drought...but they couldn't build dams to protect whatever species or plant the environmentalist felt was more important than people.

And your right, once desperation sets in, the plants and animals will take a back seat to human needs...and the environmentalists will be tossed aside (where they should have been all along).
Titan1
5/13/2015 10:49am
rosebud441 wrote:

no shit...
I love the PNW...my wife doesn't like the rain. But as the population in the Desert South West (DSW) continues to explode, and water continues to disappear...I prefer to live where the rain and snow actually fall...its easier to keep water than to take it from someone else.

There are big legal battles here over water already...Nevada, California, and to a lesser degree Arizona fighting for the water from the Colorado River and the watershed area. Utah, Colorado and Wyoming have been allowing the water to flow down stream...but imagine what will happen if we don't have enough water in those states? I think they will be MUCH more stingy at the expense of California, Nevada, and Arizona...could there really be full on war, between states, over water? Or people will flood to the places were the rain actually falls (PNW) and you'll be wise to buy up all the property you can.
A. DLeary
5/13/2015 10:53am
A. DLeary wrote:
Xracerdone wrote:
It's not so much they didn't conserve, it's really more no one built any damns or reservoirs like the Corp of Engineers told them too but...
Everything you said is part of conserving water during the good times...
rosebud441
5/13/2015 10:54am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2015 10:57am
If you choose to live in the desert, then like any good specie, learn to ADAPT!! Humans on the other hand are always trying to control their environment, A buldozer fixes everything, What dam good is damn going to do when there is no snow in the mountains?

TailSoHard
5/13/2015 10:56am
It's all those people that wasted water during that stupid ice bucket challenge thing from last year... idiots
englishman
5/13/2015 11:01am Edited Date/Time 5/13/2015 11:04am
Lot of talk in California right now about the drought, here's some interesting facts about almond farming (CA produces 80 % of the worlds almonds and plans on planting more trees and upping output over the next several years )

1 Gallon of water is needed to produce 1 Almond.
1.85 billion lbs of Almonds produced in Ca per annum.
699 BILLION, 300 MILLION gallons of water used to produce above.
12.5 million homes per year could be provided with ALL their indoor water use from that figure.
14 million - just under - the amount of housing units in California.........

As a point of reference 1 million gallons of water is the length of a football field by 50 ft wide by 10 ft deep and CA needs just under 7000 million gallons to grow almonds each year.......
71Fish
5/13/2015 11:57am
englishman wrote:
Lot of talk in California right now about the drought, here's some interesting facts about almond farming (CA produces 80 % of the worlds almonds and...
Lot of talk in California right now about the drought, here's some interesting facts about almond farming (CA produces 80 % of the worlds almonds and plans on planting more trees and upping output over the next several years )

12.5 million homes per year could be provided with ALL their indoor water use from that figure.

As a point of reference 1 million gallons of water is the length of a football field by 50 ft wide by 10 ft deep and CA needs just under 7000 million gallons to grow almonds each year.......
And without bees, you wouldn't have almonds, or 1/3 or the food we eat.
Xracerdone
5/13/2015 12:23pm
Titan1 wrote:
I love the PNW...my wife doesn't like the rain. But as the population in the Desert South West (DSW) continues to explode, and water continues to...
I love the PNW...my wife doesn't like the rain. But as the population in the Desert South West (DSW) continues to explode, and water continues to disappear...I prefer to live where the rain and snow actually fall...its easier to keep water than to take it from someone else.

There are big legal battles here over water already...Nevada, California, and to a lesser degree Arizona fighting for the water from the Colorado River and the watershed area. Utah, Colorado and Wyoming have been allowing the water to flow down stream...but imagine what will happen if we don't have enough water in those states? I think they will be MUCH more stingy at the expense of California, Nevada, and Arizona...could there really be full on war, between states, over water? Or people will flood to the places were the rain actually falls (PNW) and you'll be wise to buy up all the property you can.
I don't know about full on war but there are several legal battles over right water rights, borders going on now over who has rights to the water. In fact every states borders were designed the way they are due to water rights.
Titan1
5/13/2015 1:53pm
englishman wrote:
Lot of talk in California right now about the drought, here's some interesting facts about almond farming (CA produces 80 % of the worlds almonds and...

Good grief! If those numbers are true...I'm pretty sure the world will survive on 80% less almonds. (I can't even remember the last time I ate one? Maybe in an Almond Snickers candy bar or something).

Other than the jobs the Almond industry provides, I see no reason to use that much water growing something that the world can certainly live without, during drought seasons.

A quick google search turned up this link (maybe we don't need Broccoli (5 gallons of water for one head of Broccoli), Walnuts (4 gallons of water for one walnut), Lettuce (3 gallons of water/head of lettuce) or tomatoes (3 gallons of water/tomato) either.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/wheres-californias-water…
rosebud441
5/13/2015 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2015 1:57pm
TailSoHard wrote:
It's all those people that wasted water during that stupid ice bucket challenge thing from last year... idiots
Hahahaha!! Funny . seriously, made me laugh
IWreckALot
5/13/2015 2:03pm
englishman wrote:

Titan1 wrote:
Good grief! If those numbers are true...I'm pretty sure the world will survive on 80% less almonds. (I can't even remember the last time I ate...
Good grief! If those numbers are true...I'm pretty sure the world will survive on 80% less almonds. (I can't even remember the last time I ate one? Maybe in an Almond Snickers candy bar or something).

Other than the jobs the Almond industry provides, I see no reason to use that much water growing something that the world can certainly live without, during drought seasons.

A quick google search turned up this link (maybe we don't need Broccoli (5 gallons of water for one head of Broccoli), Walnuts (4 gallons of water for one walnut), Lettuce (3 gallons of water/head of lettuce) or tomatoes (3 gallons of water/tomato) either.

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/02/wheres-californias-water…
I was reading the list that The Rock posted. There are certainly more water efficient food products, but largely, everything requires water to live so you're not going to substantially reduce the amount of water it takes to grow food.

The environmentalists need to be hung. I'm sure there are a lot of idiots scratching their heads about why they're in the situation they're in.
vet323
5/13/2015 2:16pm
You guys realize that we haven't lost any water, right? All those gallons used to grow almonds, lettuce and the rest don't just disappear. There have been droughts in the SW before and there will be again. It is correct, though that the massive amount of agriculture in that state is unsustainable without a better water management system.
motogeezer
5/13/2015 3:16pm
The almond thing pisses me off.

I've been through what used to be called "America's Salad Bowl" many, many, many times over the years and used to see all kinds of produce growing.

Beans, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, onions, cabbage, etc., with some cotton thrown in here and there...

Last time I was up that way, it was damned nearly all almond trees and alfalfa for the dairy cows.

Two of the most water consumptive crops you can grow.

Is it a surprise that our two highest profit CA products are almonds and milk?

Pretty much the only other thing growing up there is grapes.

Guess what our third highest profit product is?

Yep, wine.

Fuck growing food. Let's make some money!
jeffro503
5/13/2015 3:21pm Edited Date/Time 5/13/2015 3:21pm
vet323 wrote:
You guys realize that we haven't lost any water, right? All those gallons used to grow almonds, lettuce and the rest don't just disappear. There have...
You guys realize that we haven't lost any water, right? All those gallons used to grow almonds, lettuce and the rest don't just disappear. There have been droughts in the SW before and there will be again. It is correct, though that the massive amount of agriculture in that state is unsustainable without a better water management system.
There is a difference between " water " and " Usable water " that humans and farmers need. 3/4 of the planets water is in the oceans and not one drop if it is drinkable for Humans unless treated. That's where the shortage's come from. We can't treat enough water for the human population on this planet. We either need to build more water treatment facilities or just cut back on growing the population. It really is that black and white.
lestat
5/13/2015 4:19pm
englishman wrote:

71Fish wrote:
the bees are dieing too . 70 percent in the last three years .
vet323
5/13/2015 4:26pm
vet323 wrote:
You guys realize that we haven't lost any water, right? All those gallons used to grow almonds, lettuce and the rest don't just disappear. There have...
jeffro503 wrote:
There is a difference between " water " and " Usable water " that humans and farmers need. 3/4 of the planets water is in the...
There is a difference between " water " and " Usable water " that humans and farmers need. 3/4 of the planets water is in the oceans and not one drop if it is drinkable for Humans unless treated. That's where the shortage's come from. We can't treat enough water for the human population on this planet. We either need to build more water treatment facilities or just cut back on growing the population. It really is that black and white.
Over 120000 cubic miles of precipitation falls on the Earth each year. The average precipitation in the SW is enough to sustain it's current usage, below-average, not so much. If they got their act together to properly manage the resources they have, their would be fewer catastrophic droughts.

Exracer and Titan up there know what's up.
englishman
5/13/2015 4:34pm
We don't have a water shortage problem we have a water misuse problem .

Growing crops in a desert environment is a plain bad idea.
71Fish
5/13/2015 5:47pm
englishman wrote:

71Fish wrote:
lestat wrote:
the bees are dieing too . 70 percent in the last three years .
It's difficult to quantify how many bees have died from colony collapse or some other problem. Different studies show different results. My bees made it through the winter so I'm happy. 72 lbs of honey last year of quality Ogden wildflower honey.
Old-Man
5/13/2015 6:13pm
motogeezer wrote:
The almond thing pisses me off. I've been through what used to be called "America's Salad Bowl" many, many, many times over the years and used...
The almond thing pisses me off.

I've been through what used to be called "America's Salad Bowl" many, many, many times over the years and used to see all kinds of produce growing.

Beans, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, onions, cabbage, etc., with some cotton thrown in here and there...

Last time I was up that way, it was damned nearly all almond trees and alfalfa for the dairy cows.

Two of the most water consumptive crops you can grow.

Is it a surprise that our two highest profit CA products are almonds and milk?

Pretty much the only other thing growing up there is grapes.

Guess what our third highest profit product is?

Yep, wine.

Fuck growing food. Let's make some money!
WEED...then again ya need food after ya smoke it...DAMMIT!

Post a reply to: California Drought...scary!

The Latest