CAASPP Results for California Common Core Testing

enketchum
Edited Date/Time 9/22/2015 7:36pm
http://caaspp.cde.ca.gov/sb2015/Search

Well guys, here it is. I teach math at a high school in a nice area in socal. 57% of our 11th graders are proficient in Math and 75% are proficient in English. When we got those results last week for our school, we thought they were terrible. Then we saw the rest of the state's results....

Taken from
http://caaspp.cde.ca.gov/sb2015/ViewReport?ps=true&lstTestYear=2015&lst…

Some highlight, or lowlights, I guess:

Asian 11th grade ELA Statewide: 78% proficient. This group makes up 8.5% of the students in the state
Hispanic 11th grade ELA Statewide: 46% proficient. This group makes up 47% of the students in the state
White 11th grade ELA Statewide: 68% proficient. This group makes up 24% of the students in the state
Average ELA Statewide: 56% proficient. This is 92.1% of the 11th grade class statewide. (~80,000 students opted out of the test). This does not meet the 95% testing requirement.

Now here we go... I'm a math teacher and the disparity really make me sad:
Asian 11th grade MATH Statewide: 67% proficient. This group makes up 8.5% of the students in the state
Hispanic 11th grade MATH Statewide: 18% proficient. This group makes up 50% of the students in the state
White 11th grade MATH Statewide: 41% proficient. This group makes up 24% of the students in the state
Average MATH Statewide: 29% proficient. This is 91.9% of the 11th grade class statewide. (80,124 students opted out of the test). This does not meet the 95% student testing requirement.

Your thoughts? These results will be each schools baseline for this year. We must meet AYP growth from this years testing to stay out of Program Improvement.
|
9/14/2015 4:46am
I thought this was interesting regarding standardized testing. I'm not sure how much of this is true or not, but John Oliver puts on a good show.
borg
9/14/2015 7:54am
As an anti government type it would be easy to criticize public schools like most right wingers do based on the test results. The problem is that the bad results are not across the board.

I have always believed that the schools are only as good as the parents.
IWreckALot
9/14/2015 8:26am
borg wrote:
As an anti government type it would be easy to criticize public schools like most right wingers do based on the test results. The problem is...
As an anti government type it would be easy to criticize public schools like most right wingers do based on the test results. The problem is that the bad results are not across the board.

There is too much focus on the standardized testing in general.

Enketchum, what is your opinion on using standardized testing to base school's funding.

The Shop

enketchum
9/14/2015 8:42am
borg wrote:
As an anti government type it would be easy to criticize public schools like most right wingers do based on the test results. The problem is...

IWreckALot wrote:

Enketchum, what is your opinion on using standardized testing to base school's funding.
They won't cut funding for a school in Calfiornia based on test results. They may cut extra programs but all schools get a certain amount of money for every student who shows up each day.

When a school does poorly, they go into Program Improvement, which actually gives the school more money for new programs but also watches them more closely. They are going to want Benchmarks throughout the year, which is more testing.

Standardized testing is terrible. You can't test each student in the way they learn best.
borg
9/14/2015 9:13am
borg wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:

enketchum wrote:
They won't cut funding for a school in Calfiornia based on test results. They may cut extra programs but all schools get a certain amount of...
They won't cut funding for a school in Calfiornia based on test results. They may cut extra programs but all schools get a certain amount of money for every student who shows up each day.

When a school does poorly, they go into Program Improvement, which actually gives the school more money for new programs but also watches them more closely. They are going to want Benchmarks throughout the year, which is more testing.

Standardized testing is terrible. You can't test each student in the way they learn best.
I don't understand why testing is so bad. Especially in math. Seems like a pretty straight forward way to find out how proficient the student is at it. Other subjects may be more "culture" sensitive but not math. The idea of standardized testing may have it's issues but I think testing in general is a must. Maybe you can point out where I'm wrong here.
hvaughn88
9/14/2015 9:23am
IWreckALot wrote:

enketchum wrote:
They won't cut funding for a school in Calfiornia based on test results. They may cut extra programs but all schools get a certain amount of...

borg wrote:
I don't understand why testing is so bad. Especially in math. Seems like a pretty straight forward way to find out how proficient the student is...
I don't understand why testing is so bad. Especially in math. Seems like a pretty straight forward way to find out how proficient the student is at it. Other subjects may be more "culture" sensitive but not math. The idea of standardized testing may have it's issues but I think testing in general is a must. Maybe you can point out where I'm wrong here.
I can speak from personal experience that a huge amount of the students don't even try on the tests. Just filling in answers to get it done. Hard to get it accurate when the students don't care.
enketchum
9/14/2015 9:31am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2015 9:32am
borg wrote:
I don't understand why testing is so bad. Especially in math. Seems like a pretty straight forward way to find out how proficient the student is...
They won't release the software that is grading the written part of the math test.

Have you seen the math test? This is a test based on the teaching of Common Core. The test was given to 11th graders. 11th graders have never been taught with common core techniques or even taught the standards of the common core in the way they are implemented. 11th graders this year will not have seen it either. Only in 2017 will 11th graders be taking the test who have been prepared in High School for it.

I don't think the Common Core techniques, standards, or testing will give accurate results until students are taught from Kindergarten to high school under Integrated Common Core. That won't happen for another 11 years. We will have a new HOT teaching practice by then. They come and go every 9-10 years
JM485
9/14/2015 6:23pm
IWreckALot wrote:

enketchum wrote:

borg wrote:
Borg you nailed it when you said education is only as good as the parents. No matter how hard you try, if the family is not behind the kid pushing them and making sure they are doing their work there is nothing a teacher can do. My mom has been a teacher for over 20 years and puts her heart and soul into it, and it kills her to see so little support from parents.

IWreckALot, using standardized testing to base a schools funding off of is a terrible idea. Like enketchum said, it works well when underperforming schools are given a little help, but to cut funding based on test results is not a viable solution.

If we really wanted to see improvement in our schools, we would implement the most simple, proven solution, splitting kids up by proficiency level. We don't need some rediculous new "common core" program that makes no sense what so ever (I've seen the way kids are being taught now and the material is beyond atrocious, it's seriously scary how bad the methods are), we just need a simple leveling system that allows more proficient kids to continue to progress, and lower level kids to get the slower pace and help they need. The school my mom works at did this for a while and it worked really well, until some morons from the state decided they knew what was in everyone's best interest and put a stop to that.

Another huge issue is kids not being held back when they need to be. It's not uncommon for kids to be in seventh grade math and are unable to understand fractions or do division. The way the system is now, kids are just passed along whether they understand the material or not until they are so far behind that they have no hope of catching back up. Not only is this very frustrating for teachers, but it's not fair to the kids who continue to struggle or the kids who are forced to learn at a slower pace due to their peers' lack of proficiency.

It's sad really what the testing program has done to our schools. Some teachers have even gone so far as to cheat in order to raise their results due to the pressure they feel from the state. The bottom line is a great teacher cannot do anything to help a kid unless they are backed up at home, if parents are not active in their child's education then they are doing them a huge disservice and only setting them up for failure. Any parent to does not at the very least provide support for their kid as they go through school is beyond irresponsible. It's amazing to me how many parents refuse to supply simple supplies like pencils, notebooks, and folders for their kids because they feel they are entitled to that from the state. The bottom line is schools are so under funded that supplying this stuff is just not feasible, it's time that parents took some damn responsibility for their kids and provide them with at least the bare essentials. I understand that there are cases where families just cannot afford supplies, and for those who truly need help they deserve it, but the number of parents just milking the system is disgusting.

Sorry for the novel, as you can tell this is a big issue for me, especially since I went through the public school system and had to see all this crap. If we just used a. Little common sense this issue would be easy to solve, but unfortunately people just don't take responsibility anymore and think that everything should be someone else's problem. School isn't day care, it's a place of learning.
borg
9/14/2015 6:58pm
I was actually coming to the defense of our resident math teacher enketchum because the blame of low test scores are over weighted towards the teacher and the data shows that it's not always the case. I am not necessarily ready to blame standardized testing either. How is it that Asian kids do so well compared with Hispanics in the same school, with the same curriculum? I'm not convinced that it's the teacher or the test.The problem teachers and schools have is that they are judged by the results.

Like I said, I'm not here to defend government education, but let's not saddle them with blame that it doesn't deserve. I despise teachers unions and bloated, useless education departments but it is what we have. That part has to be dealt with separately.
tunedlength
9/14/2015 9:44pm
Agreed
In education, test scores regardless of the methodology are generally linked to parenting.
When my kids complained about a teacher I would tell them it will be up to you to glean an education from this person.
You will have to work around whatever problem you have with this person just as you will one day in the working world..
And there where times when I would have a "chat" with a teacher but I never told my kids and I sure as hell never had this "chat" in front of my kids.
Teachers have to deal with some outrageous behavior these days and parents are the ones responsible for the behavior.
enketchum
9/15/2015 11:16am Edited Date/Time 9/15/2015 11:17am
While I can't talk about my interactions with parents, often they will say they don't know what to do with their child. I sit there thinking to myself, "I know exactly what to do..." I can't ever tell them to punish their children when they get bad grades, don't do their homework, or get suspended from school. Parents don't like that because they are the parent. It's their job and they know what's best for their child. I really want to tell some of these parents DON'T LET YOUR KID PLAY VIDEO GAMES UNLESS HIS HOMEWORK IS DONE. THE ASSIGNMENTS AND ANSWERS ARE ON MY WEBSITE. YOU CAN CHECK THAT IT'S ALL DONE. I wish I could tell stories but I can't in an open forum like this.

But, on the far other end, there are students I have who push themselves because their parents don't care. These students truly amaze me..... but all students are amazing in their own way. They all deserve a first place trophy.....
jndmx
9/15/2015 11:30am
enketchum wrote:

Standardized testing is one of the reasons we pulled my son out of public school in 8th grade to go to a private prep school.

They replaced all of the programs like Music, Gifted and Talented level classes etc in favor of spending 3 - 90 minute classes a week teaching them how to take a test.
Everyone has to be on the same level according to standard tests but the fact is not everyone is.

My kid was a straight A student from the time he started school, Aced the CT Mastery testing but he still had to review course work over and over because of the requirements of NCLB.

I felt bad for his teachers because you could tell their hands were tied and they weren't happy about a lot of it either.
enketchum
9/15/2015 11:45am
We are in an afluent community and our numbers bounce up and down as parents pull students and put them in private schools. Some of them come back.

I went from Private to Public between 6 and 7 grades. I wouldn't be a teacher if I had stayed at the private school. I don't think I would be very social and normal if I had stayed at the private school.
9/15/2015 12:07pm
At back to school night a few weeks ago our daughter's biology teacher pointed out that only 20% of parents actually show up. The same percentage of kids that will make it to college.
enketchum
9/15/2015 12:56pm
There will soon be a push from colleges to allow SBAC test scores to be used for admissions. This will happen. Some students will then care more about the tests.

I had around 10 families show up to each of my Back to School Night periods. My Calculus classes have 21 and 24 students and 10 and 11 families showed up. My Advanced Algebra classes are all full at 36 and 8, 10, and 11 families showed up to those. Where does the disparity come from?
APLMAN99
9/15/2015 2:05pm
Agreed In education, test scores regardless of the methodology are generally linked to parenting. When my kids complained about a teacher I would tell them it...
Agreed
In education, test scores regardless of the methodology are generally linked to parenting.
When my kids complained about a teacher I would tell them it will be up to you to glean an education from this person.
You will have to work around whatever problem you have with this person just as you will one day in the working world..
And there where times when I would have a "chat" with a teacher but I never told my kids and I sure as hell never had this "chat" in front of my kids.
Teachers have to deal with some outrageous behavior these days and parents are the ones responsible for the behavior.
I have 3 kids who have probably never scored below the 90th percentile on a standardized test in their entire academic career. I have a 4th child who has barely ever scored above probably the 40th percentile. Does that make me a decent parent or does that make me a shitty parent?
Homey55
9/15/2015 4:39pm
We opted out of the standardized testing for our 3rd grader. I'm not a fan of it and I think it does nothing for the student. Some of the students/parents that I talked to in our area also opted out and there was a big push at the High School to opt out (by the students) because the testing was a waste of time and the students see no benefit.

At the 3rd grade level, this seems to be more of a data collection on the kid than anything else.

I'm all for the students and teachers, and will support them as much as I can, but these tests are a political deal that I have a hard time understanding.
enketchum
9/15/2015 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2015 3:26pm
Homey55 wrote:
We opted out of the standardized testing for our 3rd grader. I'm not a fan of it and I think it does nothing for the student...
We opted out of the standardized testing for our 3rd grader. I'm not a fan of it and I think it does nothing for the student. Some of the students/parents that I talked to in our area also opted out and there was a big push at the High School to opt out (by the students) because the testing was a waste of time and the students see no benefit.

At the 3rd grade level, this seems to be more of a data collection on the kid than anything else.

I'm all for the students and teachers, and will support them as much as I can, but these tests are a political deal that I have a hard time understanding.
How do you suggest we keep schools accountable? Without some type of common assessment between schools, the education of nearly every school will go downhill fast. Without throwing fellow teachers under the bus, without some type of accountability, teachers will stop working and just collect a paycheck after receiving tenure
Homey55
9/16/2015 8:26am
enketchum wrote:
How do you suggest we keep schools accountable? Without some type of common assessment between schools, the education of nearly every school will go downhill fast...
How do you suggest we keep schools accountable? Without some type of common assessment between schools, the education of nearly every school will go downhill fast. Without throwing fellow teachers under the bus, without some type of accountability, teachers will stop working and just collect a paycheck after receiving tenure
The Administrators should keep Teachers accountable but they are too busy trying to jump through all of these hoops for Common Core.

When Teachers are told not to fail Students (by the Administrators), we have a problem. Administrators are desperate to meet the goals of the District, who are trying to meet Common Core goals.

Look, there's a much bigger problem with education, and I don't have a solution. I definitely don't have a problem with the Teachers. I just think education is a political tool now, and you have Politicians trying to push an agenda without knowing the first thing about public education.
tunedlength
9/16/2015 10:11pm
Agreed In education, test scores regardless of the methodology are generally linked to parenting. When my kids complained about a teacher I would tell them it...
Agreed
APLMAN99 wrote:
I have 3 kids who have probably never scored below the 90th percentile on a standardized test in their entire academic career. I have a 4th...
I have 3 kids who have probably never scored below the 90th percentile on a standardized test in their entire academic career. I have a 4th child who has barely ever scored above probably the 40th percentile. Does that make me a decent parent or does that make me a shitty parent?
Sounds like 75% of the time you are an awesome parent.
But seriously, I hope you knew my comment was about school test scores along the lines of the CAASPP type that the Enketchum sited when he started this thread.
The state of California test results would be fantastic if they mirrored your household.
enketchum
9/16/2015 10:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/16/2015 10:56pm
Haha, oh wow. Yes, ~75% is twice as much as the average 29% of the entire state.

We have a new teacher from Lancaster. She looked up her old school's CAASPP scores and they got 18% proficiency in math. One school she knew of, AVHS, had 8% proficiency in math. 8%.... I can't even imagine that Sad

While I hope this isn't true, it would be easy to see some low end schools to hope their scores are low. Last years scores will sit as baselines for this year. They only need to beat it by some small % to achieve AYP
APLMAN99
9/16/2015 11:45pm
Agreed
APLMAN99 wrote:
I have 3 kids who have probably never scored below the 90th percentile on a standardized test in their entire academic career. I have a 4th...
Sounds like 75% of the time you are an awesome parent. But seriously, I hope you knew my comment was about school test scores along the...
But seriously, I hope you knew my comment was about school test scores along the lines of the CAASPP type that the Enketchum sited when he started this thread.
The state of California test results would be fantastic if they mirrored your household.
I understand what you were saying, I was just pointing out that a blanket sentiment like that isn't accurate. My youngest son struggles with school greatly, but that's a physical issue he'll live with the rest of his life. I've worked with him probably more than the other 3 combined just to get him as far as he is. But saying that his poor test scores are mostly because of parenting is silly at best.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
9/17/2015 6:57am
There are so many issues that I don't know where to start.
First, having support from parents is huge. But also the parents need to understand the material to help the student.
If the parent is uneducated they really are of little help other than to motivate good behavior and respect skills but that ship has sailed with the last generation. This generation seems to think "my child has no problem with concentration, little John can play the same video game for 3 hours and not even get up".
Good teachers are huge. I'm sorry but some teachers are just BAD. My son was in a Calculus class that less than 20% passed the class and the year before the pass rate was similar. So who really failed? Bad teaching, teacher wasn't capable of teaching the material. Look, the only kids that even take Calc are the ones that have higher aspirations and willing to learn. They didn't get there by having a history of failing classes. After back to school night and hearing those stats, we got him out of there ASAP. Same class, different teacher, totally different stats. You think it's the kids fault that one teacher randomly gets students and produces great results and the other can barley get the kids to pass? Hello, there are sometimes just bad teachers.
I read one comment that the parents wont buy notebooks and such, but I bet a donut that same kid has a $500 Iphone.
As a society we need to know how our learning institutions are doing and need to test the kids. As a teacher that's your job to teach them. How are we supposed to know if you are effective if they can't demonstrate they learned something?
So the testing may be flawed but we all have to be evaluated somehow to show we are effective.
Another big problem I saw was that the schools have to deal with kids that don't understand the language and slow the teaching down to cater to the slowest learners and the bright ones get bored and are not challenged. Everyone talks about needing more money to cater to the masses but there is no money to invest in the really bright ones that will emerge to be our leaders someday.
I remember registering the domain name "parentsgradeteachers.com" about 15 years ago because I got so tired of the teachers always blaming the kids, and while that's huge, sometimes there are just bad teachers.
BTW never created the website. But as an involved family we had the benefit of many excellent teachers but also knew of the bad ones.
In the end, we have to test because we can't have half the state happy that their students can read the comics and the other half expecting the kids to write novels. And the tests if done properly are reflective of the quality of the teaching. Yes the teachers have a lot of outside factors, but even the teaches know who are the good and bad ones.
Wow, can I ramble on incoherently.
Finishing up, as a parent I can say to Enketchum, we greatly appreciate the effort you put in, even if it wasn't my kids that were in your class.
SweetDaddy
9/17/2015 12:03pm
Unfortunately the poor and uneducated have the highest birth rate.

When Trump builds his wall things will turnaround.
enketchum
9/17/2015 7:07pm
To address some of the statements and concerns::

We cannot force parents or students to purchase school supplies for in the classroom. While this is true, we can expect them to have paper and pencils to complete homework when off school property. We cannot make them use poster paper for projects or print papers that are written. I am a math teacher and I do assign papers to be written. My calculus students wrote a paper at the beginning of the year about the history of calculus and 5 main questions. It's great to have them write papers in Math because they can write in any style they want. One student wrote an interview of Newton and Liebniz for a TV program. One student wrote the paper AS Calculus talking to a therapist. "I have daddy issues and a whole list of other problems," was great to read. I told them I would print them for them if they could not. Only two students asked me to print it because the rest were able to print it on their own. We are in a very good area.

I'll write more later.I'mtired
the_wood109
9/17/2015 7:17pm
I'm curious as to what you mean by written papers, and the whole Newton example. You're talking about just creative writing, math history, or are they writing like hypothetical scenarios to do math problems? Either way, sounds interesting.
tunedlength
9/17/2015 10:01pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
Sounds like 75% of the time you are an awesome parent. But seriously, I hope you knew my comment was about school test scores along the...
APLMAN99 wrote:
I understand what you were saying, I was just pointing out that a blanket sentiment like that isn't accurate. My youngest son struggles with school greatly...
I understand what you were saying, I was just pointing out that a blanket sentiment like that isn't accurate. My youngest son struggles with school greatly, but that's a physical issue he'll live with the rest of his life. I've worked with him probably more than the other 3 combined just to get him as far as he is. But saying that his poor test scores are mostly because of parenting is silly at best.
One more time.
Macro not micro.

Post a reply to: CAASPP Results for California Common Core Testing

The Latest