Business Start Up

snackfedbear
I was wondering if there were any of you Vital guys out there who have started up their own business in the recent few years that could give some of us that are entertaining the idea of starting up our own a little rundown on the Pros/Cons of owning your own business or company, as well as any other tips or pointers of the whole startup process. I've been putting a lot of thought towards an idea of mine lately, but am completely ignorant to the whole startup process.
If any of you have any pointers that might help I would greatly appreciate it!
|
akillerwombat
1/13/2017 12:03pm
Pro's: You get to be your own boss doing what you really want to do.
Con's: You're going to work a shitload more than you ever thought.
Tip's: Work harder than you ever have before.
newmann
1/13/2017 12:19pm
That Midwest Mafia guy employed investors, started a chain of luxury auto detailing shops and sold them all within a year. He is the genius you seek.Laughing

Are you planning on starting a retail, service or web based business? Will you have employees? Building or storefront? Equipment required to start up? S-Corp, LLP or LLC?

Pro's. It's yours. Use it to your advantage. Hard work pays off.
Cons. It's yours. You may find out that you don't actually own it, it owns you. It can consume you and limit what else you can do.
1/13/2017 12:34pm
LOL newmann you really are a total faggot, the wife and kids are a cover up right?

Don't be mad you've worked for someone else your entire life?
1/13/2017 12:34pm
newmann wrote:
That Midwest Mafia guy employed investors, started a chain of luxury auto detailing shops and sold them all within a year. He is the genius you...
That Midwest Mafia guy employed investors, started a chain of luxury auto detailing shops and sold them all within a year. He is the genius you seek.Laughing

Are you planning on starting a retail, service or web based business? Will you have employees? Building or storefront? Equipment required to start up? S-Corp, LLP or LLC?

Pro's. It's yours. Use it to your advantage. Hard work pays off.
Cons. It's yours. You may find out that you don't actually own it, it owns you. It can consume you and limit what else you can do.
3 1/2 years, partnered an 80/20 split and watch the checks come in.

The Shop

APLMAN99
1/13/2017 12:35pm
There are too many variables to get really specific, meaningful advice on a forum like this. Especially without knowing the type of product or service you are interested in dealing in.

The one general piece of advice that I would give is to get in touch with your local SCORE group (https://www.score.org/). I have had some tremendous interaction with some of their volunteers over the years and still maintain contact with some of the folks I met with when I originally started my own business.

If you haven't owned or high-level managed a business before, it's amazing the things you don't know that you don't know......

You will learn a lot of it the hard way, but the SCORE folks can also be useful in giving you some heads up about an awful lot too.
snackfedbear
1/13/2017 12:48pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
There are too many variables to get really specific, meaningful advice on a forum like this. Especially without knowing the type of product or service you...
There are too many variables to get really specific, meaningful advice on a forum like this. Especially without knowing the type of product or service you are interested in dealing in.

The one general piece of advice that I would give is to get in touch with your local SCORE group (https://www.score.org/). I have had some tremendous interaction with some of their volunteers over the years and still maintain contact with some of the folks I met with when I originally started my own business.

If you haven't owned or high-level managed a business before, it's amazing the things you don't know that you don't know......

You will learn a lot of it the hard way, but the SCORE folks can also be useful in giving you some heads up about an awful lot too.
Hey, thanks for the heads up on the score website. I will definitely be looking into that.

The idea, basically, is to open a 3D/4D ultrasound studio. I've researched the cost of the machines, the prices for local rental spaces, the cost of utilities, and the overhead on product and various other items... I'm just at a loss as to where I should be looking next for information on the differences between LLP or LLC, and how to go about submitting for business licenses.
AHRMA361
Fantasy
180th
1/13/2017 1:22pm
Hey, thanks for the heads up on the score website. I will definitely be looking into that. The idea, basically, is to open a 3D/4D ultrasound...
Hey, thanks for the heads up on the score website. I will definitely be looking into that.

The idea, basically, is to open a 3D/4D ultrasound studio. I've researched the cost of the machines, the prices for local rental spaces, the cost of utilities, and the overhead on product and various other items... I'm just at a loss as to where I should be looking next for information on the differences between LLP or LLC, and how to go about submitting for business licenses.
I know what most everyone thinks of them, but I used a good lawyer to do all the work to establish the business (LLC). There are DIY things like Legalzoom etc. that you can use as well.

I myself believe a good relationship with a lawyer, insurance guy and accountant are important parts of the business puzzle.
newmann
1/13/2017 2:11pm
AHRMA361 wrote:
I know what most everyone thinks of them, but I used a good lawyer to do all the work to establish the business (LLC). There are...
I know what most everyone thinks of them, but I used a good lawyer to do all the work to establish the business (LLC). There are DIY things like Legalzoom etc. that you can use as well.

I myself believe a good relationship with a lawyer, insurance guy and accountant are important parts of the business puzzle.
Doctors, lawyers and bankers and in this case we need to include accountants and insurance agents...all a bunch of sorry bastards. Well, up until the point that you need one! This of course is the point where you need most, if not all, of those. Wink A good accountant and attorney will be able to guide you in structuring your business properly to limit your personal liability in case things go wrong. Keeping your nose clean with the tax man is worth its weight in gold.
newmann
1/13/2017 2:17pm
LOL newmann you really are a total faggot, the wife and kids are a cover up right? Don't be mad you've worked for someone else your...
LOL newmann you really are a total faggot, the wife and kids are a cover up right?

Heh, 4th Gear Pinned the radiologist showed up. You sure got me there buddy. Working all my life for my customers and tenants actually hasn't been all that bad. You should be able to offer him some good solid advise in the Ultrasound business model.
motosmith
1/13/2017 3:31pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
There are too many variables to get really specific, meaningful advice on a forum like this. Especially without knowing the type of product or service you...

Thanks for posting the SCORE info. I didn't know that existed. I will be utilizing that.
brlatm
1/13/2017 4:58pm
LOL newmann you really are a total faggot, the wife and kids are a cover up right? Don't be mad you've worked for someone else your...

newmann wrote:
Heh, 4th Gear Pinned the radiologist showed up. You sure got me there buddy. Working all my life for my customers and tenants actually hasn't been...
Heh, 4th Gear Pinned the radiologist showed up. You sure got me there buddy. Working all my life for my customers and tenants actually hasn't been all that bad. You should be able to offer him some good solid advise in the Ultrasound business model.
Shit Joe I learned something new there, I never realized that your successful auto business and your 15+ rental properties that the whole time you were working for someone else. And your gay? Who knew....

What an asshat, go back to stroking your little ego junior before the elders of MotoDrive come in and give you a good old fashioned thumping.
rompin87
1/14/2017 12:33pm
Way off topic here, but why the hell people try an give Newmann shit is above me. For the record, I don't know 'joe' and probably never will but he seems a top bloke. I dont really agree on his gun stance but what the hell I still respect the shit out of him. Wish I could meet the man himself I'm sure we would get on like a house on fire. Did I tell you I used to have a 79 cr250 with fox shocks Cool wish I'd never got rid of it. I loved that bike Smile
Mr. G
1/14/2017 2:51pm
Next month will be 20 years in business. Still bask in the freedom of it all. Well, different freedom as one can't pass the buck.........................ever. One thing I did that made the start easier than it could have been was I never took out a loan. Just saved up to get it off the ground. Of course a fire sprinkler contractor takes less $ than some other businesses.
1/15/2017 3:07am
Mr. G wrote:
Next month will be 20 years in business. Still bask in the freedom of it all. Well, different freedom as one can't pass the buck.........................ever. One...
Next month will be 20 years in business. Still bask in the freedom of it all. Well, different freedom as one can't pass the buck.........................ever. One thing I did that made the start easier than it could have been was I never took out a loan. Just saved up to get it off the ground. Of course a fire sprinkler contractor takes less $ than some other businesses.
We are in the process of doing that with our six acres that we are turning into an orchard. We are saving and trying to pay outright for as much as we can. It is tedious, seems like it is going to take forever, and it is really cutting into my motorcycle budget.
mikec265
1/18/2017 11:18pm
It was about $300 to turn my little trucking company into an llc. I used legalzoom.

There are forms to fill out at first for changing the tax structure , otherwise initially an llc is just a sole proprietorship tax wise.

Your line of work is Chinese to me. Just think about writing every expense you can think of off on Taxes. Don't get in trouble with it. Good luck!
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
1/19/2017 6:01am
Small business owners:
The only people willing to work 80 hours a week so they don't have to work 40 hours a week!
TM
JAFO92
1/19/2017 6:13am
rompin87 wrote:
Way off topic here, but why the hell people try an give Newmann shit is above me. For the record, I don't know 'joe' and probably...
Way off topic here, but why the hell people try an give Newmann shit is above me. For the record, I don't know 'joe' and probably never will but he seems a top bloke. I dont really agree on his gun stance but what the hell I still respect the shit out of him. Wish I could meet the man himself I'm sure we would get on like a house on fire. Did I tell you I used to have a 79 cr250 with fox shocks Cool wish I'd never got rid of it. I loved that bike Smile
I do know Joe and am one of his customers. In todays rude corporate environment, his business is staffed with incredibly good people who not only are artisans at their craft, but genuinely care about the work they do for people. And his employees are a direct reflection of who Joe is; he sets the standard and its reflected in everything they do.

1/19/2017 8:57am
Start a bar or nightclub. oh, how about one of them there We Buy Gold places?

just some good ideas to ponder.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/19/2017 5:57pm
I'm not familiar with Ca at all but I can tell you about a valuable resource that WV has that Ca should also have and that is the SBDC, Small Business Development Center. No matter how new to business or seasoned you are they will work with you on just about any aspect of business from start-up to loans to state funding and grants to government procurement, just about anything including filing your LLC. One thing they do really well is connect you with resources, like research or publishing in your field or connecting you with a person you would benefit from speaking with.

They will encourage you to write a business plan and will help and guide you along the way. This will help you to determine your entity and if the business is feasible. WV has sole proprietor LLC's so in regards to filing a sole proprietor LLC it is extremely easy to do and does not require a lawyer, an accountant or anyone that is going to charge you $100's in fees. I did a sole proprietor LLC last year, online and it took 10 minutes. It was linked to the IRS as well and was able to get an FEIN, which took another 5 minutes. It also had a form for articles of incorporation which pertained to the entity that was an easy form to file for your records. I was able to get my business license number and FEIN in 15 minutes and go to the bank and open a checking account in the same day, damn near the same hour. This used to take about 10 days to get you numbers back before the use of internet for filing. So easy. The cost was $125 to start the LLC and I just renewed it today for $25 for this year.

If you go through the SBDC, they will help you to keep you from doing any mistakes. If you was doing a partnership LLC, or a corporation, I would use a lawyer to write up the articles of incorporation and partnership agreement but I would not use them to license the business. Twice I have used a lawyer to license and twice I got screwed when they messed it up. Once for $800 on a bad filing of Workers Comp and again around $1000 when they screwed up my unemployment office filings. As far as the State of WV goes, it would be hard to mess it up doing it online yourself, especially with SBDC assistance. A lawyer would file it online the exact same way and convince you that they need $350 to do it and $600 plus for the articles, even if it was not a partnership.

rrjr
1/20/2017 7:54pm
California's online services are a joke. I have a friend who has a disabled child and she receives assistance with some of her son's medical treatments that aren't covered by her insurance from where she works. She was sent a notice from Medi-Cal(state agency) that said she needed to renew her account through the Covered California(Obama Care) website. She spent hours trying to renew through the website and over the phone.

The Medi-Cal people kept telling her that she had to go through Covered California. The Covered California people kept telling her that despite the fact that they had a link on their website to renew your Medi-Cal account she had to renew through the local Medi-Cal office.

She finally was able to get someone to explain to her that the two agency's computer systems weren't connected together and regardless of the fact that she was sent the notice to renew through Covered California it was impossible to do so.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
644th
1/20/2017 8:40pm
Well, business registration is with the Secretary of State. Not some insurance debacle.
Here is a link for the California SBDC where you can make an appointment and meet with a representative that will give you assistance. http://californiasbdc.org/

Here is a link to the business registration page of the Secretary of State for California where you will do the actual busniness registration. It looks similar to the one in WV that I explained above.
http://www.sos.ca.gov/business-programs
borg
1/21/2017 8:55am
Hey, thanks for the heads up on the score website. I will definitely be looking into that. The idea, basically, is to open a 3D/4D ultrasound...

Been in business here in SoCal all my life. Either in manufacturing or construction. My biggest tip is actually more of a warning. Gubmint is not your friend. They will nit pick, harass, and 500 dollar you to death. To them you are a nuisance. Some cities are better than others.
Be prepared for the hassles.

Avoid debt, it will kill you in a slowdown. The money is not rolling in but the payment is still due.

Be prepared to spend lots of time doing stuff that is required of you but not in the production loop. This is the stuff that will make late for dinner almost every night for some time. I hope you have an understanding wife.

Did I mention avoiding debt.

It sounds like you have partners. The fewer the better. I was lucky with mine. Make sure you know about their own financial condition. How is their family situation? If even one of them are deep in debt or constantly having marital issues then seriously rethink the situation. You will essentially be married to your partners. Just because they are fun to hang with does not mean they will be a good business partner.

borg
1/21/2017 9:10am
I cannot emphasize this enough: partnership problems can overwhelm and sink an otherwise profitable business. It probably has more to do with failures than anything else.

Partners
crashomatic
1/29/2017 6:25am
11 years self employed. I'll attest to the debt warnings. After some early success I over expanded too quickly and got mired into some lawsuits on a good deal gone bad. It left me with $300k of debt and a $4,000/mo payments. I just think of it as my student loan payment for my PhD in entrepreneurship.

It's a lot to shoulder but we're digging out.

Also, heed the warnings of partnerships. You'll lose good friends on Facebook...And in real life. Unless you're battle hardened Marines you'll likely dislike each other tremendously when things get hard....And believe me they will.

Other than that, good luck! Life's too short for missed opportunities and shoulda, coulda, woulda.

Post a reply to: Business Start Up

The Latest