Bought a new (to me) truck today.

OldPro277
5/2/2016 10:23am
Old-Man wrote:
Need help from the experts in knowing this is a good buy
Hi OldMan, thought Id weigh in here for you a little. Ive been in the car biz 32 years from my early years in sales to F&I ,to sales mgr, to GSM, to GM and owner. And Im still involved in every aspect .
I took the liberty of running a CarFax (I have an unlimited contract) and its a one-owner truck with 27 services records available,mostly routine maintenance which is good. The previous owner certainly travelled a bit with service done in Wyoming, South Dakota, Illinois and Montana. The dealer that you saw it at, bought the truck the Mountain region Auction on 3/14.So.... if they are like most dealers, when a used piece gets to about the 60 day-old area (in this case 5/14) they start reducing price and/or taking it back to auction. That being said, $ 17,000 isn't a bad price for that piece. If I bought that truck at one of my local auctions, Id expect to pay $ 15,000 -ish. Plus the fees and recon, and advertising expenses so their 17k isn't ridiculous. Let me know if that helps. Also can give you tips on the financing end as well ,if you need.
Old-Man
5/2/2016 9:26pm
Old-Man wrote:
Need help from the experts in knowing this is a good buy
OldPro277 wrote:
Hi OldMan, thought Id weigh in here for you a little. Ive been in the car biz 32 years from my early years in sales to...
Hi OldMan, thought Id weigh in here for you a little. Ive been in the car biz 32 years from my early years in sales to F&I ,to sales mgr, to GSM, to GM and owner. And Im still involved in every aspect .
I took the liberty of running a CarFax (I have an unlimited contract) and its a one-owner truck with 27 services records available,mostly routine maintenance which is good. The previous owner certainly travelled a bit with service done in Wyoming, South Dakota, Illinois and Montana. The dealer that you saw it at, bought the truck the Mountain region Auction on 3/14.So.... if they are like most dealers, when a used piece gets to about the 60 day-old area (in this case 5/14) they start reducing price and/or taking it back to auction. That being said, $ 17,000 isn't a bad price for that piece. If I bought that truck at one of my local auctions, Id expect to pay $ 15,000 -ish. Plus the fees and recon, and advertising expenses so their 17k isn't ridiculous. Let me know if that helps. Also can give you tips on the financing end as well ,if you need.
WoW, thxs OldPro!
You certainly deserve a beer if your ever in Colorado.
I'm going to head to the dealer then and ask to drive it and get a feel for what I'm going to ask.
See if they can change the plugs like the earlier post mentions.

Go from there, keep you posted and thanks again OldPro!
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
5/4/2016 8:54am
colintrax wrote:
Good truck (as you probably know) but I'd tell the dealership as part of the deal you want the spark plugs changed. Ford fixed the plug...
Good truck (as you probably know) but I'd tell the dealership as part of the deal you want the spark plugs changed. Ford fixed the plug problem by 2010, but I'd still want them changed on someone else's dime just in case.
Also expect awful gas mileage. Have a friend who had a very similar truck, he absolutely loved it and didn't have any problems. But he averaged like 13mpg... 5.4 +4x4 +big tires=happy oil company.
Memory is not the best but I think I had a 4x2 f105 with the 5.4 that drank 1qt oil per 1K miles,
Took truck to dealer as it was still under warranty and they told me "that was within spec for that
engine". Sad
I'd ask about it.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
5/4/2016 9:41am
colintrax wrote:
Good truck (as you probably know) but I'd tell the dealership as part of the deal you want the spark plugs changed. Ford fixed the plug...
Good truck (as you probably know) but I'd tell the dealership as part of the deal you want the spark plugs changed. Ford fixed the plug problem by 2010, but I'd still want them changed on someone else's dime just in case.
Also expect awful gas mileage. Have a friend who had a very similar truck, he absolutely loved it and didn't have any problems. But he averaged like 13mpg... 5.4 +4x4 +big tires=happy oil company.
ToolMaker wrote:
Memory is not the best but I think I had a 4x2 f105 with the 5.4 that drank 1qt oil per 1K miles, Took truck to...
Memory is not the best but I think I had a 4x2 f105 with the 5.4 that drank 1qt oil per 1K miles,
Took truck to dealer as it was still under warranty and they told me "that was within spec for that
engine". Sad
I'd ask about it.
I've heard problems like that before with every brand. I'm not sure how, but dealers will claim anything is normal or ok if they can get away with it. Chevy issued a recall on the AC for my model, and my AC doesn't work.... but the dealer claims it's operating and my vin isn't under the recall. Effing ridiculous

The Shop

SF45
5/4/2016 2:55pm
Nice tasteful mods, looks good. The wheels you got on there now look good, I dunno if the other will look any better.

Post a reply to: Bought a new (to me) truck today.

The Latest