Blue Angels

jndmx
Edited Date/Time 7/20/2015 7:10pm
Hey guys....

There is an airshow today at Quonset Point Military station that they were practicing for yesterday and they were basically flying over my house.

Got a little footage.

Set your player to 720HD

https://youtu.be/NpYy1p8O6F8
|
TailSoHard
5/30/2015 6:07am
Seen them a couple times, always incredible to see in person, it's tough to judge how close and fast they are on video
MR. X
5/30/2015 6:08am
Last time I saw them fly ,i was just a kid . I saw them collide at the Niagara Falls air show,I'll never get that image out of my head.
logan_140
5/30/2015 6:27am
They go right over my house every year so damn cool sun n fun air show 2nd biggest in the country. Right over my house wide open is just freaking insane

The Shop

5/30/2015 6:27am
A little trivia for you guys. Did you know that the Blue jets are among the oldest and most worn out Hornets in the fleet?
71Fish
5/30/2015 6:29am
MR. X wrote:
Last time I saw them fly ,i was just a kid . I saw them collide at the Niagara Falls air show,I'll never get that image...
Last time I saw them fly ,i was just a kid . I saw them collide at the Niagara Falls air show,I'll never get that image out of my head.
That had to have been a difficult thing to see, especially as a kid. I can't imagine.

As a retired Air Force guy, I have to admit the Blue Angels are better to watch than the Thunderbirds. Less restrictions.
logan_140
5/30/2015 6:32am

Not the blue angels this year was some new group from across seas. Very cool. Blue Angels back next year
5/30/2015 6:37am
MR. X wrote:
Last time I saw them fly ,i was just a kid . I saw them collide at the Niagara Falls air show,I'll never get that image...
I remember that. It was around 1985. They were in Skyhawks. It was a climbing maneuver, and the two Skyhawks collided at the apex of the maneuver. Had to be tough to watch, because it sucked watching it on TV.

Found some footage. Skip to 2 minutes or so to see the accident. RIP Mr. Gershon.

jndmx
5/30/2015 6:38am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2015 2:52pm
Yeah I missed most of the session so I only got a little footage.
A lot of their stuff they were a mile away so I coudn't get it.

They made a low pass over the water when I first got there and then 5 of them went into a straight climb on the afterburners.....fucking awesome sound.

2 nights ago they had pilots doing close circle runs in a big ass transport plane.
Size of a 767 and it was pitched over at about 180 degrees in a turn.
Dtat720
5/30/2015 7:59am
A little trivia for you guys. Did you know that the Blue jets are among the oldest and most worn out Hornets in the fleet?
Oldest? Yes. Worn out? Not by a long shot. Metticulous maintenance on those birds.
5/30/2015 8:38am
Dtat720 wrote:
Oldest? Yes. Worn out? Not by a long shot. Metticulous maintenance on those birds.
Dude, I don't want to come across as a know-it-all or anything like that (because I'm not), but I have a long history with their aircraft. I could tell you things that would make your hair stand up on end, but I won't, because it ain't kosher to do so in a public forum.

You're free to keep believing what you wrote above.
5/30/2015 8:51am
jndmx wrote:
Hey guys.... There is an airshow today at Quonset Point Military station that they were practicing for yesterday and they were basically flying over my house...
Hey guys....

There is an airshow today at Quonset Point Military station that they were practicing for yesterday and they were basically flying over my house.

Got a little footage.

Set your player to 720HD

https://youtu.be/NpYy1p8O6F8
Sorry about hijacking your thread. You did a GREAT job filming. Thanks for posting!
Sully
5/31/2015 3:27am
When I was in photo school in Pensacola, the Blues used to use our schoolhouse as show center for their weekly practice session. Every Wednesday at 8:15 was a front row seat to the world's best flying. Unfortunately, that building is now NAS Pensacola's HQ, so I would assume they don't use it for practice anymore.
Dtat720
5/31/2015 7:18am
Dtat720 wrote:
Dude, I don't want to come across as a know-it-all or anything like that (because I'm not), but I have a long history with their aircraft...
Dude, I don't want to come across as a know-it-all or anything like that (because I'm not), but I have a long history with their aircraft. I could tell you things that would make your hair stand up on end, but I won't, because it ain't kosher to do so in a public forum.

I trust your word. I dont have personal experience with them. Had a high school friend who was a mechanic in Pensacola with them, he rented a room in my house while he was there. Loved living there, see those guys all the time.
71Fish
5/31/2015 7:40am
Dtat720 wrote:
Dude, I don't want to come across as a know-it-all or anything like that (because I'm not), but I have a long history with their aircraft...

don't have direct experience with the T-Birds, but when was active duty, I was responsible for maintenance records and analysis on the 3 demo jets we had. Same type of flying as the T-birds. Certain parts are changed out and/or inspected like any other jet, but their skins and fuselage ribs had a lot higher stress scores.
enketchum
5/31/2015 10:05am
I don't like when people say that the Blue Angels are better than the Thunderbirds. They are in different planes. The F18s that the Angels fly have FBW, fly by wire, where one pilot leads the way and the rest of the planes follow by themselves. The F16s have no such thing and the formation flying is all done by hand.

And Tbird elevation caclulations are all done by hand... o.0ps.
https://youtu.be/alo_XWCqNUQ

I am a Thunderbird fan, if you can't tell.
5/31/2015 10:45am
enketchum wrote:
I don't like when people say that the Blue Angels are better than the Thunderbirds. They are in different planes. The F18s that the Angels fly...
I don't like when people say that the Blue Angels are better than the Thunderbirds. They are in different planes. The F18s that the Angels fly have FBW, fly by wire, where one pilot leads the way and the rest of the planes follow by themselves. The F16s have no such thing and the formation flying is all done by hand.

No, it doesn't work that way at all.
JW381
5/31/2015 12:41pm
enketchum wrote:
I don't like when people say that the Blue Angels are better than the Thunderbirds. They are in different planes. The F18s that the Angels fly...

You got that backward. F16s are FBW, 18s are not.
5/31/2015 12:44pm
JW, hate to break this to you, but Hornets, like the Falcon, are also fbw. I think Ketch was fishing, and now I'm wondering if you're adding to his bait!
JW381
5/31/2015 12:45pm
Maybe I'm jaded, but formation flying doesn't really do it for me. Shots from in cockpit are impressive, but the actual show is only cool (for me) once or twice. I'd rather see an F15 demo with hard turns and full AB climbs. Obviously it's all cooler than shit and the pilots are beyond skilled. Just saying, and I hate to be the negative voice, but for some reason the Blue Angel and Thunderbird shows just don't make my dick hard quite like a proper demo flight.
JW381
5/31/2015 12:47pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2015 12:49pm
JW, hate to break this to you, but Hornets, like the Falcon, are also fbw. I think Ketch was fishing, and now I'm wondering if you're...
JW, hate to break this to you, but Hornets, like the Falcon, are also fbw. I think Ketch was fishing, and now I'm wondering if you're adding to his bait!
I did not think the original hornets were FBW. Was that one of the requirements for the original AF contract? Could have slipped my mind I guess, but I thought the F16 was the only 4th Gen fighter with FBW. Unless you count the F117 lol

Edit: you are right, I stand corrected.
enketchum
5/31/2015 2:52pm
I wasn't talking about just flying an aircraft controlled with FBW. The last I heard of the debate between the two, the Angels are led by one pilot while flying in formation. The rest of the plane's FLCCs communicate with the lead aircraft and fly themselves when in tight formation. The F16s of the Tbirds never had this capability.

Maybe they do now?
Dtat720
5/31/2015 4:55pm
JW381 wrote:
Maybe I'm jaded, but formation flying doesn't really do it for me. Shots from in cockpit are impressive, but the actual show is only cool (for...
Maybe I'm jaded, but formation flying doesn't really do it for me. Shots from in cockpit are impressive, but the actual show is only cool (for me) once or twice. I'd rather see an F15 demo with hard turns and full AB climbs. Obviously it's all cooler than shit and the pilots are beyond skilled. Just saying, and I hate to be the negative voice, but for some reason the Blue Angel and Thunderbird shows just don't make my dick hard quite like a proper demo flight.
Totally off topic sorta.. My uncle was a weapons instructor/ squadron leader in an F-15 strike eagle. One saturday while i lived in Perdido Key, about 3 miles from Pensacola NAS, he called me from Virginia and asked me to pick him up at NAS in an hour. I thought he was pulling my leg and went back to sleep. Not an hour later he called me screaming to come get his AF ass from an NAS base! I drove to basa and i'll be danged. He had a strike eagle parked on Navy tarmac lol. Those Navy boys weren't pleased with having to watch his bird lol
Sully
5/31/2015 4:57pm
enketchum wrote:
I wasn't talking about just flying an aircraft controlled with FBW. The last I heard of the debate between the two, the Angels are led by...
I wasn't talking about just flying an aircraft controlled with FBW. The last I heard of the debate between the two, the Angels are led by one pilot while flying in formation. The rest of the plane's FLCCs communicate with the lead aircraft and fly themselves when in tight formation. The F16s of the Tbirds never had this capability.

Maybe they do now?
Whoever told you that seems like they were trying to justify their love of the T-birds by slamming the Blues. The -16 is equipped with a FLCC, too.

"To counter the tendency to depart from controlled flight—and avoid the need for constant trim inputs by the pilot, the F-16 has a quadruplex (four-channel) fly-by-wire (FBW) flight control system (FLCS). The flight control computer (FLCC) accepts pilot input from the stick and rudder controls, and manipulates the control surfaces in such a way as to produce the desired result without inducing control loss. The FLCC conducts thousands of measurements per second on the aircraft's flight attitude to automatically counter deviations from the pilot-set flight path; leading to a common aphorism among pilots: 'You don't fly an F-16; it flies you.'" – Wikipedia

Trying to figure out which demo team is better is like trying to figure out which color is better.
71Fish
5/31/2015 5:15pm
It's almost as if you have no aircraft experience at all.
enketchum
5/31/2015 8:22pm
Again, that's not what I'm talking about. Of course it's got an FLCC
71Fish
5/31/2015 8:41pm
What you are trying to say is Flight Control System (FLCS) not Flight Control Computer (FLCC). FLCS is said as "Flicus".
6/1/2015 3:00am
Ketch, BA formations are hand flown. In fact, we install a bracket with springs and an attachment clip to create even more tension on the stick - for that exact reason. They fly too close to each other (often less than 2 feet of separation) to rely on any computer.
71Fish
6/1/2015 5:20am
Ketch, BA formations are hand flown. In fact, we install a bracket with springs and an attachment clip to create even more tension on the stick...
Ketch, BA formations are hand flown. In fact, we install a bracket with springs and an attachment clip to create even more tension on the stick - for that exact reason. They fly too close to each other (often less than 2 feet of separation) to rely on any computer.
That must have been a while ago because the stick doesn't move under your hand at all.
I got to fly the training simulator at Hill AFB this past November. It's a real chore to keep that thing steady. It's impressive when real pilot hops in and flies like he was born with a stick in his hand.

Post a reply to: Blue Angels

The Latest