Basal cell carcinoma

brlatm
Edited Date/Time 8/2/2012 12:43pm
Any of you guys had to deal with this? I just got a call from the dermatologist and I have a lesion somehow in my ear that came back positive.
|
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
8/1/2012 3:13pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2012 3:13pm
Yes, had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my lower leg several years ago. It is a less aggressive cancer in terms of malignancy (been a non-issue for me since), but still to be taken seriously.

They shaved it off and a margin about a quarter in size with a local, dressed it, and I was on my way. They'll likely biopsy the tissue.

Typically is not even close to the concern you'd have with melanoma, which is an aggressive killer if not found early enough.
brlatm
8/1/2012 3:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2012 3:19pm
They did a shave last week of my ear and called today to say it was not a fungal growth as previously thought. The needle in the middle of the ear wasn't bad but when she tried to carterize (sp) that hurt like a sumbitch. Good thing the derm is cute or I might have got upset instead of cracking my usual wise ass jokes. I told her that hurt worse than getting my vasectomy!

I am kinda nervous now because I have not been under the knife since 37 years ago at age 2. Hope all is the best but I still can't figure out why the hell that would be in my ear.

She did tell me to not clean my ears so much, damn I never heard that one before.
BUTCH
8/1/2012 3:26pm
brlatm wrote:
They did a shave last week of my ear and called today to say it was not a fungal growth as previously thought. The needle in...
They did a shave last week of my ear and called today to say it was not a fungal growth as previously thought. The needle in the middle of the ear wasn't bad but when she tried to carterize (sp) that hurt like a sumbitch. Good thing the derm is cute or I might have got upset instead of cracking my usual wise ass jokes. I told her that hurt worse than getting my vasectomy!

I am kinda nervous now because I have not been under the knife since 37 years ago at age 2. Hope all is the best but I still can't figure out why the hell that would be in my ear.

She did tell me to not clean my ears so much, damn I never heard that one before.
Best wishes, and a healthy outcome in the future.
brlatm
8/1/2012 3:32pm
BUTCH wrote:
Best wishes, and a healthy outcome in the future.
Thanks Butch it is much appreciated.

The Shop

minidad
8/1/2012 5:58pm
I grew up in southern Cali and was going to the beaches all the time with my sister until we moved to Vegas. All that time spent in the sun with no protection did a number on me. I am now 56 and have been going to the dermatologist for the last 20+ yrs every 3 to 6 months to get something burned, shaved or cut off mostly on my shoulders, back and arms. Also lost the left have of my nose and all of it was Basal cell.
It won’t kill you unless you let it go A LONG TIME but my arms back and shoulders looks like crap from all of the cancer the docs have removed
borg
8/1/2012 5:59pm
A positive attitude will help you in many ways. Your friends and family will be much more likely to be supportive if you're in good spirits when they are with you. It's like a snowball effect. Trust me, it matters.
Good luck.
brlatm
8/1/2012 6:04pm
Thanks guys I appreciate the words of encouragement for sure. I guess nothing a couple of hookers and blow "as someone on here said once" can't fix. I am gonna get this crap behind me and continue my move to the Caribbean and enjoy some time with my wife and kids. Guess now I better plaster on the SPF 100 for once.
jonjon714
8/1/2012 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 8/1/2012 8:20pm
Damn, never heard of it. Hope everything heals up nicely and it's another 37 years before you need the knife again.
brlatm
8/1/2012 8:28pm
jonjon714 wrote:
Damn, never heard of it. Hope everything heals up nicely and it's another 37 years before you need the knife again.
Thanks Jonjon it's the most common form of skin cancer so I have found out from google today. And yea I think I am tough and all the needles from getting the regular shots don't scare me but with a 14 yr old boy and 9 yr old girl at home this has me kinda putting my life in a new perspective. Guess nothing some good old whiskey and some old country music can't buff out tonight.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
8/2/2012 9:46am
Good luck, hope all turns out well.
jasonv43
8/2/2012 10:31am
minidad wrote:
I grew up in southern Cali and was going to the beaches all the time with my sister until we moved to Vegas. All that time...
I grew up in southern Cali and was going to the beaches all the time with my sister until we moved to Vegas. All that time spent in the sun with no protection did a number on me. I am now 56 and have been going to the dermatologist for the last 20+ yrs every 3 to 6 months to get something burned, shaved or cut off mostly on my shoulders, back and arms. Also lost the left have of my nose and all of it was Basal cell.
It won’t kill you unless you let it go A LONG TIME but my arms back and shoulders looks like crap from all of the cancer the docs have removed
How long had it been on your nose before you had it removed? I had some on my cheek that was removed and now there is some on the side of my nose that will most likely have to be removed. Currently using the 5% cream on it.
minidad
8/2/2012 12:43pm
jasonv43 wrote:
How long had it been on your nose before you had it removed? I had some on my cheek that was removed and now there is...
How long had it been on your nose before you had it removed? I had some on my cheek that was removed and now there is some on the side of my nose that will most likely have to be removed. Currently using the 5% cream on it.
I had a sore that would not heal for about 6 months, just as it was about to heal I would blow my nose and it would start to bleed again and then scab over. I went to see a doctor about it and he sent me to a dermatologist that was about 23 yrs ago and like I said in an earlier post I go every 3 to 6 months to get something taken off of me.
I used the cream on my face (it burned like hell) and got most of the surface cancer but anything below the surface requires some other type of treatment.
If you are old like me sun block will only protect your skin now and in the future, not repair the damage that was done YEARS AGO when we did not know any better.

Post a reply to: Basal cell carcinoma

The Latest