Barking dog issue.

borg
8/19/2015 8:43am Edited Date/Time 8/28/2015 1:12pm
Could have put this in the other thread but I didn't want to be a debbie downer in such a cool thread.
Anyway we have an alley in back that separates the houses on the block. This is a dog neighborhood. Seems like everybody has one. I live in the rear house which is about 3 feet from the alley. There is one dog that starts barking when there is any sound coming from the alley. It wont stop for 20 minutes after the noise is gone. The other night it barked from about 3:00 AM to about 3:30. I was unable to get back to sleep. It did it again this morning and woke my Daughter up. She works nights. It really sucks when you have to close the windows on a hot night. (No A/C). Not sure what to do. I'm new in the neighborhood and I don't know anybody on the other side of the alley. My next door neighbor has two dogs that are just as bad but they keep them in at night and at least shush them during the morning if they start. Once they go to work the dogs are out and there is nothing to stop them but at least they are aware of the problem. I realize that having an alley is like advertising to burglars so I understand the need for a dog. My neighbor on the other side has a big beautiful Shepard that never barks. I can walk right up to the fence and she just stares at me like, "come on in, I won't rip your pants to get to the tender meat". I guess it's just an effed up situation that I have to deal with living in a crowded area with an alley.
|
Old-Man
8/19/2015 8:50am
Guess you now know why the place your in was available.

Drop them a letter stating whats up and if that don't work you have no choice but to call Animal control.
Some people are idiots as humans and even worse as animal owners. Dogs need guidance just like Kids
newmann
8/19/2015 8:53am
Window unit a/c a possibility? They are cheap.
Chu
8/19/2015 10:31am
I have a similar problem..a jack russell that screams from 06.30-11.00 pm.
soon i am goimg to punch my neighbours face in.
IWreckALot
8/19/2015 11:50am
I have two dogs and they're pretty good for the most part but every now and again they get going. I can't sleep worth a $#!t with the dogs barking myself so I always get up to go handle them when they do start barking. I also make sure my neighbors know they can call me any time of the night if something I'm doing is causing them to lose sleep including the dogs barking. Sucks that you have to deal with that kind of stuff but maybe stopping by and talking to them will help. Worst case scenario, offer to buy them bark collars (not really your responsibility) and as a last step call animal control.

The Shop

Shiftfaced
8/19/2015 1:22pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2015 1:25pm
I am in the same situation.

Neighbor has two dogs. One is a dauchound, the other some form of terrier. They bark at ANYTHING that moves. They are put out sometimes as early as 5 am, and they can stay outside until 11:30 at night.

We have an open space behind our homes that a lot of people use for walking, so it is constant stimulus to incite them to bark. The neighbor on the other side of us, two doors down puts peanuts out for the squirrels, so those bastards are always in our yards trying to bury the peanuts.

I bought one of those high-pitched emitters that triggers on barking, but the range is not all that far.

What kills me is that we have talked to them, and they don't do ANYTHING to correct the problem. They do not walk the dogs, or provide any stimulus, so the dogs just have nothing but energy to bark their brains out.

We have even been in the back yard when they have company over, and the company asks them about how much their dogs bark.

"We want the dogs to bark if there is an intruder, so we or OK with them barking".

I don't think they have thought that all the way through. Their dogs bark ALL THE TIME, at EVERYTHING. They are desensitized to it.

NV825
Fantasy
2711th
8/19/2015 1:26pm
If you have a clear shot, then an air soft gun might help shut them up.
Shiftfaced
8/19/2015 2:44pm Edited Date/Time 8/19/2015 2:48pm
Thank you lostboy819.

It is worth it to me to throw another $100 at this. I love that it has a remote so that I can manually trigger the damn thing.

My wife is FAR MORE tolerant than I am. She likes to garden, and spends A LOT of time in the back yard. She is ready to throttle those dogs.

I have ordered that thing, and it is on its way.

Will report back how well it works.
borg
8/19/2015 4:00pm
Old-Man wrote:
Guess you now know why the place your in was available. Drop them a letter stating whats up and if that don't work you have no...
Guess you now know why the place your in was available.

Drop them a letter stating whats up and if that don't work you have no choice but to call Animal control.
Some people are idiots as humans and even worse as animal owners. Dogs need guidance just like Kids
I know why the house was available and it had nothing to do with barking dogs.
At this point I'm going to see if it continues. It could be that they are away and the dog is out at night. If it does continue I will have talk to them but I cant believe that nobody else has by now. Having that goddamn alley is starting to make me think twice about my decision. Trash diggers come through looking for cans and it starts him up. I can see the need for a deterrent like a dog if you have an alley though so it's hard blame them. But after a minute or so, go out and shut the fucker up. Two barks and any possible intruder is going to move on. Hell they can come to my house. My deterrent only barks once. Once! (Imagine Joe Piscopo wagging finger in Johnny Dangerously)
8/19/2015 6:41pm
A wrist rocket....a bag of marbles....= a guiet dog.

Id give your neighbor a fair warning and if no results.......I guarantee you thump your neighbor a half dozen or so times with a couple high velocity marbles every time he steps outside and that fucker is gonna train his dog and spend some time with it.
Most times dogs bark like that because of separation anxiety and have nothing else to do. They do need attention and exercise. Some people are just shitty animal owners!
borg
8/19/2015 7:08pm
A wrist rocket....a bag of marbles....= a guiet dog. Id give your neighbor a fair warning and if no results.......I guarantee you thump your neighbor a...
A wrist rocket....a bag of marbles....= a guiet dog.

Id give your neighbor a fair warning and if no results.......I guarantee you thump your neighbor a half dozen or so times with a couple high velocity marbles every time he steps outside and that fucker is gonna train his dog and spend some time with it.
Most times dogs bark like that because of separation anxiety and have nothing else to do. They do need attention and exercise. Some people are just shitty animal owners!
Great advice. I seriously hope you were kidding about firing marbles at him.
It could be the separation thing though. When I went past their house today there were coolers and camping gear in the driveway. They were probably out of town. Hopefully it's over.
TX24
8/19/2015 7:27pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Get a kennel silencer , there are lots out there and they work. http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer.htm?pk_campaign=Adwords-Bark-USA-ENG&pk_kwd=dog%20silencer&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0tCuBRDIjJ_Mlb6zzpQBEiQAyjCoBiy4kSL6pwb4u-gJ2c1Ox5UU2PNRX0TJpMgu82S7SCIaAioL8P8HAQ[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/19/102083/s1200_DS_angled_w_remote.jpg[/img]
Get a kennel silencer , there are lots out there and they work.

http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer.htm?pk_campaign=Adwords…

That's an idea for our dogs when they start in the house.

sumdood
Fantasy
1333rd
8/19/2015 11:27pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Get a kennel silencer , there are lots out there and they work. http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/dog-silencer.htm?pk_campaign=Adwords-Bark-USA-ENG&pk_kwd=dog%20silencer&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0tCuBRDIjJ_Mlb6zzpQBEiQAyjCoBiy4kSL6pwb4u-gJ2c1Ox5UU2PNRX0TJpMgu82S7SCIaAioL8P8HAQ[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/08/19/102083/s1200_DS_angled_w_remote.jpg[/img]

TX24 wrote:

I'm interested to know how (if) that thing works. My neighbor has 2 little yappers that go non stop in the middle of the night sometimes. I have a place I can hide it and point it right in his yard, hmmmmm...... lets us know if it works for you thanks
8/19/2015 11:52pm
Get a noise maker. I love mine. They were putting a new roof on my condo during the day while I slept because I work nights and I didn't hear a thing.
Spydee
8/19/2015 11:55pm
If I were you I'd figure out who the owner is, and pay them a friendly visit and explain the situation... be firm but respectful. Could be worth chatting to the other neigbours and see if they feel the same way, then at least you have some backup. You'll have to come up with a solution though mind, no good going over there and saying "hey, shut your dog up please?", explain that the barking is having a negative effect on your sleep, concentration, and so on, and that you would like to work out a good solution.
8/20/2015 3:28am
lostboy819 wrote:

TX24 wrote:

sumdood wrote:
I'm interested to know how (if) that thing works. My neighbor has 2 little yappers that go non stop in the middle of the night sometimes...
I'm interested to know how (if) that thing works. My neighbor has 2 little yappers that go non stop in the middle of the night sometimes. I have a place I can hide it and point it right in his yard, hmmmmm...... lets us know if it works for you thanks
They work, but the distance can't be very far off. I had this problem and bought one of those. The distance was just too much to overcome.

I ended up going to their house at 3:00 AM one morning. I beat on their door and rang the doorbell until the wife came to the door - it took at least five minutes.

She opened the door completely bewildered and had obviously been in a deep sleep. I said, "Your dog is barking and we can't sleep."

Her reply? "What? The dog? Barking? Ok."

Never heard it again. It was either that, or my sweet, demure, southern-belle of a wife was going to rip that dog's throat out, quarter the remains and spread the pieces to the four corners of Duval County.
XXVoid MainXX
8/20/2015 6:06am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2015 6:07am
Can you call the cops and have them arrest the owners for disturbing the peace? I don't see it as being much different than cranking a stereo up in the middle of the night.
XXVoid MainXX
8/20/2015 6:09am
Heh:

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/disturbing-the-peace.html

Disturbing the peace, also known as breach of the peace, is a criminal offense that occurs when a person engages in some form of disorderly conduct, such as fighting or threatening to fight in public, causing excessively loud noise, by shouting, playing loud music, or even allowing a dog to bark for prolonged periods of time. When a person's words or conduct jeopardizes others right to peace and tranquility, he or she may be charged with disturbing the peace.
hillbilly
8/20/2015 6:22am
Pass out drunk each night,kinda zaps your energy at first but the body adjusts to feeling like hell in the morning.
Spartacus
8/20/2015 12:06pm
Don't blame the dog, blame the fuking owners for god sakes.

dsmith
Fantasy
1294th
8/20/2015 12:20pm
call the police...they will get a ticket if it's after 10:30 pm ...that's what the noise ordinance time is around here....
TXDirt
8/20/2015 1:10pm
Good description of the narcissistic society we have where so many people only care about themselves and don't give a single fuck how their actions, or sometimes in-actions effect other people around them.

We have neighbors like this. Barking dog, their kids leaving their bikes in my yard, parking 6 cars on the street for two damn drivers.... on and on and on.

I feel for you...sucks having to put up with a bunch of idiot neighbors who can't think of anyone other then themselves.

The Rock
8/20/2015 7:35pm
This thread reminds me of the reason why I'm a cat person. Ear plugs combined with a window fan or some other white noise source will help. Hermosa Beach where I lived for 17 years they had a ordinance that a dog couldn't bark twice I think it was in 40 minutes if they did it was a problem. Some people shouldn't own dogs you know the people that are never home.
8/20/2015 7:46pm Edited Date/Time 8/20/2015 7:48pm
I had a couple Queenslands,lived 15 & 17 years.
I share my back yard with 5 neighbors fence lines.Over 22 years they (5) neighbors had dogs,not puppies.
I have a old Daisy Red Rider BB gun that spits out the bb.You can see the BB coming out of the gun.When the neighbors dog's start barking for no reason at all I would pop them on the back side thru the fence.I have been shot with it and it just stings.ONLY when they bark for no reason is when I used it.It worked for me.Peaceful now.

I am more a cat guy but love dogs as well!I wouldn't recommend this for small dogs or non hairy.
Tpog496
8/21/2015 7:21am
Fuck people who cant take care of their dogs.
DoctorJD
8/21/2015 7:55am
Can you call the cops and have them arrest the owners for disturbing the peace? I don't see it as being much different than cranking a...
Can you call the cops and have them arrest the owners for disturbing the peace? I don't see it as being much different than cranking a stereo up in the middle of the night.
Void nailed it. Should be no different. I bet if the cops were banging on the neighbors door at 3:00am he find a way to shut his mutt up. Some times, dog lovers can be so self-centered, just like the parents who take small kids into a theater.
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
8/21/2015 11:40am Edited Date/Time 8/21/2015 11:42am
I just had some new neighbors move in behind us. Noise doesn't bother me. I can sleep through a Pantera concert if I know what the nose is with out a problem. My neighbors let their dog out at 6 am and it barks wide open for hours. And then late at night too. What bothers me is that those people have no respect for others. Just no common courtesy and don't consider that the dog may be bothering others. People suck. I want a large moat around my house that I can light on fire. I liked it before when all the houses surrounding me were foreclosed and to expensive. Neighbors suck.
level
8/22/2015 9:29am Edited Date/Time 8/22/2015 9:31am
Nothing much more irritating than a barking dog non stop. I have a neighbor I put up with it for a year before I finally called animal control several times. He knew I snitched and told my neighbor next time I ride my bike out back he will call cops.
Thing is I ride my bike pretty much never anymore and when I did ride I would ride for 30 minutes maybe about once a month which is better than a dog barking for 10 hours a day every day.
They are a bunch of fucking rednecks over there too so that should tell you something. The dog never fucking stopped barking and it's not the dogs fault it's the owners for not doing something about it. I was worried they would abuse the dog or something for barking so I put off snitching but I finally just had enough. Left nasty letters in there mailbox and then finally called animal control.
Dogs and people burning shit are 2 of my neighbor pet peeves.

Post a reply to: Barking dog issue.

The Latest