Bands you think are bigger than they deserve.

LoudLove
2/11/2012 8:42am
Like it or not, each of the bands mentioned above worked hard to achieve their status, so each of them "deserve" whatever they have achieved. While we may dislike a certain genre or style, that doesn't necessarily negate their accomplishments. Personally, I think George Strait is completely overblown, but does he deserve his status as a country music icon? Absolutely.

When it comes to "deserving", we could focus on products of the Disney machine. Spears, Cyrus, Bieber, Jonas? Of course, it's easier to pimp these products via a giant media empire than slug it out in the clubs five nights a week. I don't like Nickleback, and they have become a punch line, but nobody handed them a golden ticket.
vet323
2/12/2012 3:09pm
There are some good choices in here but, Zepp, the Doors, CCR? Really?
The Doors have a shitty drummer and no bass player at all-you CANNOT have a decent rock band with a crappy rhythm section.

CCR- never could get into "swamp rock".
jmar
2/12/2012 3:23pm
jtomasik wrote:
Nickleback - they have some of the most boring, non-innovative, predictable rock on the planet. I don't get it. U2 - The Edge's claim back in...
Nickleback - they have some of the most boring, non-innovative, predictable rock on the planet. I don't get it.

U2 - The Edge's claim back in the 1980's that he was the next Hendrix flipped my switch. Their approach/sound didn't have much an influence on music in general....certainly nothing like Hendrix, or the Who, or Black Sabbath. Not even close. Took my son to their concert this past summer (hey, ya' do things for your children you wouldn't normally otherwise), and it blew me away how mundane they sounded, yet the huge crowd was overwhelmed. Sometimes the masses really scare me.
If you settle for what's spoon fed to you on the radio, then you are not a true fan of music, and have no idea about true artistry. If you are stuck in your generation of music, and don't look for, or give other types music a second look, then you don't know anything about the true artistry of music. Music is ever evolving, and new artist are putting out new music every day.

That old saying of, perception is more important that reality, is alive and well in music of the past, and today. Marketing 101 has taken over the music industry.

The Shop

jmar
2/12/2012 7:31pm
I can listen to almost any of these listed here but Nickleback.
Being able to tolerate music, because that's what is easily accessible doesn't make any sense to me.

With today's technology, no one should settle for anything less that what moves them.
2/12/2012 7:40pm
jmar wrote:
Being able to tolerate music, because that's what is easily accessible doesn't make any sense to me. With today's technology, no one should settle for anything...
Being able to tolerate music, because that's what is easily accessible doesn't make any sense to me.

With today's technology, no one should settle for anything less that what moves them.
I have been struggling to find anything that moves me lately, and I have been looking really hard. It seems nothing has that same feeling of that first time you heard a Black Sabbath or Bad Religion record, where you are just floored by its awesomeness.
2/12/2012 7:42pm
vet323 wrote:
The Doors have a shitty drummer and no bass player at all-you CANNOT have a decent rock band with a crappy rhythm section. CCR- never could...
The Doors have a shitty drummer and no bass player at all-you CANNOT have a decent rock band with a crappy rhythm section.

CCR- never could get into "swamp rock".
Yeah they may not have had a regular bass player, but the dudes that filled in held down the bottom pretty damn good.Wink
jmar
2/12/2012 7:47pm
jmar wrote:
Being able to tolerate music, because that's what is easily accessible doesn't make any sense to me. With today's technology, no one should settle for anything...

I have been struggling to find anything that moves me lately, and I have been looking really hard. It seems nothing has that same feeling of...
I have been struggling to find anything that moves me lately, and I have been looking really hard. It seems nothing has that same feeling of that first time you heard a Black Sabbath or Bad Religion record, where you are just floored by its awesomeness.
How old are you? Those are my times, and I am closing in on 55.

You might want to start looking harder.
Clutchy
2/12/2012 8:05pm
Bigger then they deserve....? WTF does that even mean. Bigger then they deserve compared to what...???

Its music.
dirtnapper
2/12/2012 9:21pm
Does anyone really think MAROON 5 is even music?

I fricken hate everything about that band.
jasonv43
2/12/2012 10:11pm
Every time I hear that damn new Red Hot Chili Peppers song all I can think of is this.

davis224
Fantasy
138th
2/13/2012 5:35am
This thread is making me sick... I can get why people wouldn't like the Doors, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... I disagree but I can see why... but Zeppelin?! CCR?! FOO FIGHTERS?!?!?! I thought FF was the one band everyone in the world liked!
pacetruckdrvr
2/13/2012 5:45am
davis224 wrote:
This thread is making me sick... I can get why people wouldn't like the Doors, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... I disagree but I can see why... but...
This thread is making me sick... I can get why people wouldn't like the Doors, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... I disagree but I can see why... but Zeppelin?! CCR?! FOO FIGHTERS?!?!?! I thought FF was the one band everyone in the world liked!
Yeah I agree, Zeppelin?? how can anyone not like them. And the Foo Fighters put a smile on my face every time I see them perform live, tons of energy in the music.
txmxer
2/13/2012 7:49am
Obviously everyone has there own tastes. Somebody bought all those Nickelback CD's.

Music is about emotion and memories. You get older and you are no longer twisting in the wind, it takes a desire to enjoy/find new music...but it's rare to have the same passion about music when you get older as you did when you were teens/20's.

jmar shows that passion.
Sandberm
2/13/2012 10:23am
Never understood the attraction to The Greatful Dead. Fine if you like them, I would just like to know whats so great about them.
jtomasik
2/13/2012 11:40am
davis224 wrote:
This thread is making me sick... I can get why people wouldn't like the Doors, Nirvana, Pearl Jam... I disagree but I can see why... but...
It's an opinion thread. Musical preferences are simply personal opinion. There is no right or wrong.

Oh, I don't get the Foo Fighters, personally. I'm not a huge Zeppelin fan, but I understand their popularity because they truly were very innovative. Foo Fighters...they just seem like leftovers to me.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
2/13/2012 5:39pm
I know good music is all in the ear of the beholder, but damn. Some stuff I think is just universally good.
But as far as Foo Fighters being leftovers... my girlfriend might kill me if she knew I said this but, I think FF is a far better band than Nirvana, and I like Nirvana. Maybe if Dave Grohl had just made that first record on his own and just had a couple hits I could see how you could call FF leftovers, but they have several songs that I would consider legendary, and have been steadily cranking out classics since the mid 90s up til today, I am in love with the new album, lots of killer tunes.
mx757
2/13/2012 7:28pm
Its on a smaller scale, but Every Time I Die and Norma jean both just seem completely overrated to me. There arent a ton of people on this board that probably even know of them, but theyre just bland to me. Seems as though they just are loud for the sake of it.
2/13/2012 9:07pm
mx757 wrote:
Its on a smaller scale, but Every Time I Die and Norma jean both just seem completely overrated to me. There arent a ton of people...
Its on a smaller scale, but Every Time I Die and Norma jean both just seem completely overrated to me. There arent a ton of people on this board that probably even know of them, but theyre just bland to me. Seems as though they just are loud for the sake of it.
Dang Every Time I Die is one of my favorite bands. It took me a couple of repeated listens but The Big Dirty is one of my all time favorite albums. To each their own though. I know you're way into Lamb of God and I just could really get a grip on them. Do I think they are over rated? Not at all.

I find the first two Foo Fighters albums to be my favorite but songs like These Days and The Pretender just don't do it for me.

Dave Matthews I used to loathe until I went to one of their shows at The Gorge. I find his music fun to play and a bit different.

Most over rated today for me would be Nickleback and mostly any other generic sounding 'rock' on the radio. How metal evolution even acknowledged these guys is beyond me.
RandyS
2/13/2012 10:50pm
davis224 wrote:
I know good music is all in the ear of the beholder, but damn. Some stuff I think is just universally good. But as far as...
I know good music is all in the ear of the beholder, but damn. Some stuff I think is just universally good.
But as far as Foo Fighters being leftovers... my girlfriend might kill me if she knew I said this but, I think FF is a far better band than Nirvana, and I like Nirvana. Maybe if Dave Grohl had just made that first record on his own and just had a couple hits I could see how you could call FF leftovers, but they have several songs that I would consider legendary, and have been steadily cranking out classics since the mid 90s up til today, I am in love with the new album, lots of killer tunes.
This.

FF are far more important in the music of the last 20 years than Nirvana, Nirvana far more important than Pearl Jam, Pearl Jam far more important than Nickleback, Nickleback far more important than Creed, Creed far more important than.....................um?
jamma10
2/14/2012 2:58am Edited Date/Time 2/14/2012 3:01am
I've often wondered what Kurt Cobain would make of the Foo's.

Personally I used to love their early stuff, but some of their more recent albums have been too formulaic and over produced for me. I have the utmost respect for Dave Grohl, I think he's an incredible guy, but I didn't like the direction he seemed to be taking the band for a while. The latest album sounds better, a bit rawer which I guess is the result of just a few guys thrashing it out in a garage and not overlaying multiple guitars in a modern studio etc.
tunedlength
2/14/2012 8:47pm
Yep, Zeppelin gets my vote.
Case in point, Kashmir. What a dirge.
Cigaro
2/15/2012 12:03am Edited Date/Time 2/15/2012 12:04am
Cobain was a music writing genius imo and Nirvana was one of few bands to expose grunge to the mainstream . Shitty guitar player but he could write some shit. He's also a big part of killing that weak ass glam metal genre.
APLMAN99
2/15/2012 5:27am
jamma10 wrote:
I've often wondered what Kurt Cobain would make of the Foo's. Personally I used to love their early stuff, but some of their more recent albums...
I've often wondered what Kurt Cobain would make of the Foo's.

Personally I used to love their early stuff, but some of their more recent albums have been too formulaic and over produced for me. I have the utmost respect for Dave Grohl, I think he's an incredible guy, but I didn't like the direction he seemed to be taking the band for a while. The latest album sounds better, a bit rawer which I guess is the result of just a few guys thrashing it out in a garage and not overlaying multiple guitars in a modern studio etc.
Cobain was a great music maker, but probably would've been all hipster when it came to stuff like the Foo.

Foo Fighters have had a pretty good run. Obviously some of their albums have been stronger than others, that's the way things go for just about any band. But they keep trying to put out good stuff and that's really about all you can ask for in the end.

Grohl probably connects with an audience better than any musician I have seen, so that's one of the reasons I've been such a fan of the band.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
2/15/2012 5:28am
^ Yup. I like FF as a band more, but as far as importance, Nirvana takes the cake. They along with Pearl Jam helped get rid of crappy 80s hair metal bands.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
2/15/2012 7:28am
The Who, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I haven't heard much of Coldplay or Foo Fighters (other than MX vs ATV Unleashed, and I can't remember which one they did).

I disagree with Foreigner, Zeppelin, and Metallica. Each of these bands had at least one good album.
Frogman
2/16/2012 10:03am
Hootie and the blowfish
jamma10
2/16/2012 10:18am Edited Date/Time 2/16/2012 10:30am
burn1986 wrote:
The Who, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chili Peppers. I haven't heard much of Coldplay or Foo Fighters (other than MX vs ATV Unleashed, and I can't...
The Who, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I haven't heard much of Coldplay or Foo Fighters (other than MX vs ATV Unleashed, and I can't remember which one they did).

I disagree with Foreigner, Zeppelin, and Metallica. Each of these bands had at least one good album.
I have my issues with some of the band members, but I don't think anyone can write off The Rollings Stones or The Who as underserving of their success when they, along with a handful of other bands, basically pioneered rock music.

You may not like their sound personally, but damn....
vet323
2/16/2012 10:45am
"The Who, Cheap Trick, Red Hot Chili Peppers. "

The inclusion of The Who and Red Hot Chili Peppers completely ruins any credibility you may have had concerning your taste in music.

The fact that you put Cheap Trick on this list means that you and I are now sworn enemies.

Watch your back.Angry

Post a reply to: Bands you think are bigger than they deserve.

The Latest