Auto CAD

Calhoun117
Edited Date/Time 8/21/2015 5:31pm
Too make a long story short I'm unemployed after working in a machine shop at a papermill for 4 years, the only reason I worked there in the first place was because my then girlfriend didn't want to move out of town to where the office was I was drafting at. I worked as a draftsman professionally for 3 years before the mill, and have an associates degree, and high school cert to go with it. At the firm I was at we did all civil work, coal mines took up 96% of the billing. We used Carlson civil 3D which is just a package based off regular autocad civil 3d. Throughout all my experience I've used 2005-2010 packages. I'm looking to get back into drafting and am just curious if any of the newer packages are so much different that I would need to take any kind of refresher course on them. I'm marketing myself as experienced and would rather not have a gigantic shock of entirely new software of they are running any of the late model softwares. I'm sure this isn't the case but if anyone is familiar with the newest say, past two-three years of cad packages are there any big changes?
|
MR. X
8/14/2015 8:03pm
All you can do is put the feelers out , let them know where you are at and where you are looking to go , you may just find a place that will send you to school on their dime if they think you will be a good fit and need a refresher . Good luck on your search.
SEEMEFIRST
8/14/2015 9:52pm
I wouldn't worry too much about any huge surprises. Most programs I've dealt with make upgrades that are easily learned, they don't start from scratch.

I went through about 5 iterations of "Master Cam" and only once was there so much change they sent us to a one day course, and Master Cam covered that for us upgrading .
MR. X
8/15/2015 3:49am
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about any huge surprises. Most programs I've dealt with make upgrades that are easily learned, they don't start from scratch. I...
I wouldn't worry too much about any huge surprises. Most programs I've dealt with make upgrades that are easily learned, they don't start from scratch.

I went through about 5 iterations of "Master Cam" and only once was there so much change they sent us to a one day course, and Master Cam covered that for us upgrading .
You must be talking about when they switched from MC9 to MC X,we made the switch and I hated it at first .
SEEMEFIRST
8/15/2015 9:06pm
SEEMEFIRST wrote:
I wouldn't worry too much about any huge surprises. Most programs I've dealt with make upgrades that are easily learned, they don't start from scratch. I...

MR. X wrote:
You must be talking about when they switched from MC9 to MC X,we made the switch and I hated it at first .
That was the one.... I could drive it, but they moved everything around.

The Shop

MT MX
8/17/2015 9:14am
I am the CAD manager at the Engineering firm I work for. I've been employed here for over 14 years (almost 20 professional years of CAD drafting though). In that time I've worked with AutoCAD from version 13 to the current AutoCAD 2015. I have a High School diploma and a B.S. degree in Design Drafting Technology.
To answer your question, as far as the basics, nothing has really changed. I think the most changes have come with the opportunities of customization. They've added a few worthwhile commands with every update, but for the most part each update is a load of bull. Autodesk is creating a situation where they are 'forcing' people to buy the updates. A lot of bullshit propaganda if you ask me. I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the updates really aren't necessary.
I work in a firm that has about 20 engineers and the majority of them do not have a background as in depth as mine. They know the basics and that is for the most part sufficient. I hope this answers your question without any confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck.
peelout
8/17/2015 9:23am
i work with AutoCAD every day, though not an a 3D level, just 2D window details and elevations and that kind of stuff. cool to see there are other dudes working on it.

I use DraftSight X64, it's open source and does a great job. little learning curve from AC2010 which i was using before.
Homey55
8/17/2015 10:18am
I agree with MT MX. The versions are basically the same but the new versions rely more on icons and it looks a lot more like the LT version. I started on release 9 and work on 2014 now. The most frustrating thing for me is the initial set-up of your personal parameters and figuring out how to turn off the auto settings for everything, every time we get a new version. I learned AutoCAD by typing in all of my commands and using all of the shortcuts but now it seems like its a little harder to do that. I've got 23 years of AutoCAD experience to date!
Calhoun117
8/18/2015 3:56pm
MT MX wrote:
I am the CAD manager at the Engineering firm I work for. I've been employed here for over 14 years (almost 20 professional years of CAD...
I am the CAD manager at the Engineering firm I work for. I've been employed here for over 14 years (almost 20 professional years of CAD drafting though). In that time I've worked with AutoCAD from version 13 to the current AutoCAD 2015. I have a High School diploma and a B.S. degree in Design Drafting Technology.
To answer your question, as far as the basics, nothing has really changed. I think the most changes have come with the opportunities of customization. They've added a few worthwhile commands with every update, but for the most part each update is a load of bull. Autodesk is creating a situation where they are 'forcing' people to buy the updates. A lot of bullshit propaganda if you ask me. I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but the updates really aren't necessary.
I work in a firm that has about 20 engineers and the majority of them do not have a background as in depth as mine. They know the basics and that is for the most part sufficient. I hope this answers your question without any confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good Luck.
Sense your the cad manager I suspect you have atleast minor input if not total control over new hires. I'm thrilled at the fact I have an interview close to home in Friday dealing in civil drafting, which is what my "expertise" is. I'm a bit concerned marketing myself as experienced due to the fact I've been out of the game for four years. When I left my old firm I was getting into some pretty heavy commands such as measuring earthwork volumes and designing ditches and ponds from complete scratch to cover 100+ acres of natural water drainage plus that of earthwork. As of right now I would not be able to do that type of work right of the bat, it would take me a little while to get the training wheels off again. I am confident however that I will get to that point with just a little amount of time, (it's amazing what Google can do for you when searching for commands to help you through a project), right off the bat I'll be able to do simple drawings no problem but the advanced stuff will have to hold off a few weeks. The job is entry level I believe, it requests 0-5 years exp. As a CAD manager, what would you think of me as a prospect for a job?
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
8/18/2015 5:28pm
I am a full time Autocad Architecture user and Autodesk is really screwing over guys like me by going to a full subscription service. You can no longer own the program and the overall cost will be higher.

As far as your job opportunity and being out of practice. Just be honest, but let them know that you are confident that you will pick it up again very quickly.

Dammit, I love Autocad, but Autodesk is a shit company... I need to look for other programs.
MT MX
8/19/2015 10:36am Edited Date/Time 8/19/2015 10:37am
Calhoun117 wrote:
Sense your the cad manager I suspect you have atleast minor input if not total control over new hires. I'm thrilled at the fact I have...
Sense your the cad manager I suspect you have atleast minor input if not total control over new hires. I'm thrilled at the fact I have an interview close to home in Friday dealing in civil drafting, which is what my "expertise" is. I'm a bit concerned marketing myself as experienced due to the fact I've been out of the game for four years. When I left my old firm I was getting into some pretty heavy commands such as measuring earthwork volumes and designing ditches and ponds from complete scratch to cover 100+ acres of natural water drainage plus that of earthwork. As of right now I would not be able to do that type of work right of the bat, it would take me a little while to get the training wheels off again. I am confident however that I will get to that point with just a little amount of time, (it's amazing what Google can do for you when searching for commands to help you through a project), right off the bat I'll be able to do simple drawings no problem but the advanced stuff will have to hold off a few weeks. The job is entry level I believe, it requests 0-5 years exp. As a CAD manager, what would you think of me as a prospect for a job?
Yes, I sit in on reviews, as well as give input on resumes received.
For me personally, I think it is more appealing to hire an entry level versus a very experienced person.
The reason I say that is this...............You know at least the basics of CAD (probably a bit more than the basics by the sound of it) and you can come in on your first day and be beneficial. Management would know what your capabilities are and would know what your limitations are . If it was me personally, I wouldn't have to spend the next month instructing you on how to draw a line or a circle, because you know how to. You would still be inexperienced enough that you can absorb the companies CAD standards and respect the process in which we complete our .dwg files. That initial process is just as important as being experience, because you need to create a strong foundation in order to be a success in the future.
Every now and then we hire someone that is 'experienced' and they completely ignore our CAD standard. They take on the approach that 'that's not how I like to do it'. Needless to say, they don't last long. I personally think that if you make it past the probationary period the company has decided that you can be a valuable investment to the company. Just keep an open mind. Another reason we hire entry level is because they are a cheaper investment and this plays into what I previously just said.
If you get an interview and receive the job, just work hard and the rewards will eventually come to you.

MT MX
8/19/2015 10:51am
disbanded wrote:
I am a full time Autocad Architecture user and Autodesk is really screwing over guys like me by going to a full subscription service. You can...
I am a full time Autocad Architecture user and Autodesk is really screwing over guys like me by going to a full subscription service. You can no longer own the program and the overall cost will be higher.

As far as your job opportunity and being out of practice. Just be honest, but let them know that you are confident that you will pick it up again very quickly.

Dammit, I love Autocad, but Autodesk is a shit company... I need to look for other programs.
Amen to that!
Their whole perpetual versus desktop licensing that is coming up is a load of bullshit. Microsoft tried this awhile ago.
I honestly think this will eventually be the demise of their 'monopoly'. I've used AutoCAD since I was in high school back in 1991. In that time, it went from such a great drafting/design software to an overcomplicated and overpriced gadget.
The past year or two I've been trying to learn Revit MEP on my own. The resources available from Autodesk are completely worthless, because they have no real world applications. The Revit Electrical Families available are a complete joke, but at least they are getting what they want and making us pay out our ass for it.
Calhoun117
8/21/2015 5:31pm
MT MX wrote:
Amen to that! Their whole perpetual versus desktop licensing that is coming up is a load of bullshit. Microsoft tried this awhile ago. I honestly think...
Amen to that!
Their whole perpetual versus desktop licensing that is coming up is a load of bullshit. Microsoft tried this awhile ago.
I honestly think this will eventually be the demise of their 'monopoly'. I've used AutoCAD since I was in high school back in 1991. In that time, it went from such a great drafting/design software to an overcomplicated and overpriced gadget.
The past year or two I've been trying to learn Revit MEP on my own. The resources available from Autodesk are completely worthless, because they have no real world applications. The Revit Electrical Families available are a complete joke, but at least they are getting what they want and making us pay out our ass for it.
I had a course on revit during my education. It honestly seemed to me like a video game, kind of like "the sims". Of course we didn't get that in depth but we did complete a structure project that had to be electric,fire safety and HVAC integrated. The end result was decent but it seemed almost restrictive to what you can do with it. Kind of takes the personal skill/"artistic" touch out of being a draftsman. I take pride in my details and the aesthetic look of my drawings and maps. Revit kind of removes that aspect from drafting IMO, of course I'm very limited in my experience with it. But just my two cents. Thanks for the encouraging words about my job search. I had my interview today and it went very well. The firm I had my interview with is using Carlson civil 3d so I'm a direct fit. Hoping for the best.

Post a reply to: Auto CAD

The Latest