Apple reign over?

level
Edited Date/Time 12/6/2014 8:14pm
I am a tech junky. Just love it. I pay close attention to tech and tech news and get my hands on as many tech devices as I can.

There is no doubt that Apple is making money like you wouldn't believe. In fact, it is possible they may become the first trillion dollar company ever. They have a valuation of 600 billion.

That being said I am starting to see some major issues with there company and wanted to see if you agree. We all know that companies tend to go through phases and when they were once at the top they become out innovated by another company. MSFT was once at the top and now trying to re-invent itself. Google is the King of the internet. Apple has rose, fell and now have risen again thanks to the iPhone.

So this is the problems I am seeing with Apple and I am a huge Apple fan but not as much as I was 3 or 4 years ago.

1) Android and Android phones are rolling out features left and right and innovating very fast. You can get features on Android that are just simply not available on the iPhone. This was not necessarily the case 5 years ago. I am starting to see a trend where Android is really starting to outshine iOS platform. iOS is becoming stagnant and frankly pretty boring. I moved to Android last year with a Note 3 and I honestly don't know if I could ever go back to an iPhone and 3 years ago I would never consider leaving iPhone that's how much I loved it. That is a pretty big statement right there where my loyalty has switched.

2) I am not a huge fan of Windows 8. I hate the idea of 2 operating systems-the metro interface and the desktop interface. However, I am starting to see why they did this and I expect this to get much, much, much better in the next few years.
The major thing I am seeing with Windows is convertibles. I have seen some pretty sleek tablet/laptop hybrids where you can detach the screen from the keyboard and use as a tablet instead. They also have laptops that move 360 degrees.

This is a major feature for Windows. Features like this are going to make Mac OSx look ancient very soon. That being said I still prefer Mac OSx to Windows but for the first time I have been seriously looking at Window convertibles.

Apple has already started merging OSx and iOS to a certain extent but they honestly need to start working on a convertible here pretty soon. People are moving away from computers and more into tablets and larger smartphones however they still want the power of a computer and a keyboard so a convertible laptop is the next best thing. Also, huge advantage is all these are touchscreens as well so you get both a laptop and a tablet and the same experience on both with Windows 8.

Apple really needs to figure out how to merge an iPad and a Macbook Air together and pretty fast

One thing Apple needs to do to stay up top is to keep innovating. That is what brought them to the top and they need to keep doing it. Samsung is losing money like crazy but they are innovating fast. Google is innovating and moving along quickly while Apple is playing catch up for the first time.

They are also making some questionable decisions. They did a stock re-purchase program and with that money they could of bought Twitter, about 5 other companies and dumped billions of dollars into R and D for the same price they bought back some of there stock. Not sure that was the best decision for them. They are hoarding a ton of cash and I think they could of used that money much more wisely.

I am a huge fan of Apple because I like how there software flows and I like how there hardware and software work very well together. I don't think they build any more premium products than anyone else though anymore. There is nothing special about the iPhone compared to a Samsung S5 or HTC or a Nokia Lumia as far as build quality. I was extremely disappointed in the size of the iPhone 6 plus. It has a .2inch smaller screen than the Note 3 but is .2inch taller and it shows. It's a humongous phone and you wouldn't think .2inch would make a big difference but it does. With the money and R and D there is no reason they needed to make that phone so big with so much room below and above the screen. When they do things like this is has me scratching my head.

Anyways, what do you guys think about my assessment?
|
reded
12/3/2014 8:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2014 9:00pm
I'd say you're pretty much spot on. The problem I see, iphone is the wheel and the damned thing is hard to reinvent. Yeah, Samsung has some features that Apple doesn't but honestly, unless you're a nerd you'll never know that you don't have those features. I think that Apple has a loyal following due to the lack of being able to personalize their gadgets. Apple users know that all of their devices will all work the same, all of the time.

As for the iPhone 6, you'll have to try again before I'll upgrade Apple. I just don't see enough there to move me away from my 4S and I hate the new trend towards the larger phones.

I don't know that Apples reign is over but if some of the other players make the right moves I'd say they'll end up on equal footing in the near future. I think the loss of a guy like Jobs will leave them looking for vision and leadership for a few years which could be the perfect opportunity for the others to leap over them.

One last thing, Microsoft can shove Windows 8 up their ass.
AZ35
Fantasy
550th
12/3/2014 9:14pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2014 9:14pm
I don't know shit about tech.

But I would not trade my Samsung Galaxy 4S for my wife's iphone5 for anything. Well, not literally.... But since no one would pay me to use an iphone, I would not give up my superior and easier to use Galaxy for the outdated iphone product. Trying to use her phone is like going back to 2011. That seems like decades ago in tech years.

Apple has gotten a little comfortable with their cash cow and is not being innovative enough to keep up with the tech pack. They used to be the leader, now they have become the follower. The follower with the most cash, but still a follower.
reded
12/3/2014 9:22pm
The problem AZ, is it goes both ways. Anytime I pick up a Samsung it seems oversized, clunky and hard to navigate. Different strokes I guess.
XXVoid MainXX
12/3/2014 9:30pm
As long as they keep making their stuff in China they should be able to keep making money.

The Shop

scooter5002
12/3/2014 10:15pm
All I know is, I did the 8.1.1 update on my iPhone, and I've absolutely hated the fuckin thing ever since. Just brutal, it's like the phone had glitches installed, not an update. That's the extent of my knowledge.
scott_nz
Fantasy
840th
12/4/2014 1:00am
i am a loyal apple guy, with a macbook pro and a iphone 6, just upgraded to the 6 and it is a bit better than the 5s i had, I am getting used to the bigger size now, and it is better for using, but still a pain to have in my pocket, I only had a 16gb iphone 5 and i had space issues with the amount of music and photos on it, i had a 32gb iphone 4 before that and never had an issue with storage space, we could not get 32gb 6's here, so went to ta 64gb

I have an ipad air as well, but just dont use it, i run the lap top at home, and the iphone when travelling, I am going to give it to my neice and nephew for xmas,

I had a play around with a samsung, but i have always liked how apple works with each other, and I am not that technical to outdo the limits of the anything, and the iphone 6 on my plan was the same price as the samsung anyway,
MR. X
12/4/2014 2:11am
The local news just did a story on how a bunch of celebs are going back to flip phones, big companies would be pissed if that trend caught on.
SEE ARE125
12/4/2014 5:30am Edited Date/Time 12/4/2014 5:30am
MR. X wrote:
The local news just did a story on how a bunch of celebs are going back to flip phones, big companies would be pissed if that...
The local news just did a story on how a bunch of celebs are going back to flip phones, big companies would be pissed if that trend caught on.
I've thought about ditching my iPhone and going back to my Casio G'zOne.

Not much to look at, shitty camera and not many features, but that thing was tough as nails! Dropped it in the lake a couple times, ran over it with a Peterbilt when I left it on the rear tire while doing some maintenance, dropped it numerous times, that thing never died. It's beat and battered but works like a charm.

Back on topic, anyone seen the movie "Jobs?" Pretty cool movie, watched it the other night on Netflix. Talks about the rise and fall and rise of Apple. Jobs played a big part in making sure everyone else followed them. Now that he's gone, who knows.
12/4/2014 8:04am
I dislike Apple because Steve Jobs was a giant flaming asshole who worked hard to drive wages down in Silicone Valley and bullied his competitors and employees.
I am old enough to remember their big "Big Brother" Superbowl commercial in the 80s. Then, similar to Google, they just went ahead and acted worse.
Then you have the fact their Chinese workers are hurling themselves out of Windows on a regular basis because of slave-like working conditions.

And Windows 8 is an abomination. I have it on two computers and can hardly do a thing. It totally sucks!
I am also pretty fed up with the cheap-ass HP laptops I have been buying.
We need some new players in this industry.
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
12/4/2014 9:15am
Everything cycles, doesn't it?

I've never gone in for the smart phones. Call me a fuddy-duddy, a Ludite, whatever. I use my phone to make phone calls and reluctantly text. Plus there are 5 phones on my account (family, you know), and I'm not about to take on an extra car payment just so people can visit Pinterest every 10 minutes and send pictures of cats to friends.

Now it looks like I'm the send tretter I've always believed I am.

That's right, send tretter. I'm so far ahead of the curve I can say it any way I please. Watch for people to be using that term in the near future. It will be all over the webbernet.

H
SF45
12/5/2014 12:03pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 12:06pm
Apple's reign isn't over... who's going to overtake them? There may not be quite the crazy fanboyism there was a few years ago.... but they still make 100k in profit every minute and 25 seconds. Wayyyyyy more than their competitors.

Android and iOS kind of compete, but kind of don't. Apple sells high end shit and has that cornered. Android is also fragmented... all the manufacturers add their own layers on top. Just look at some of the comments in this thread, normal people who aren't tech nuts like that Apple stuff all works the same.

Why would Apple want to merge the iPad and Macbook Air? Completely different type of device.
SF45
12/5/2014 12:11pm
I remember posting on Motonews the day the original iPhone was announced... "I NEED one of these". It wasn't even really news that day, I remember.
SF45
12/5/2014 1:02pm
By the way, if you are into tech.... you will like this site. All kinds of new products every day.

Product Hunt
level
12/5/2014 1:33pm
In response to your post about merging the iPad and Macbook air I would say there may be a need for it. There are so many times I need to use my Macbook and other times I prefer to use the iPad. It would be nice to be able to use both on the same device. I would love to have an iPad that clicks to a keyboard and then it runs OSx and then detach it and it runs iOS. They are already merging the two OSs together with Mavericks and now Yosemite so they are already kind of doing it.
level
12/5/2014 1:37pm
I use so much tech that it just all runs together. I really like how Apple syncs everything. I love iCloud. I think it's just great for keeping things in sync. I use dropbox for my files and I have moved away from some iCloud features like reminders and notes mostly because there are so many better to-do apps out there and note taking apps like evernote and onenote that are way more powerful and stay in sync across all devices. Then you have to-do managers that are a dime a dozen that do the same.

I wish apple would put more effort into designing more software. That's where they seem to be lacking.

They could get back into iWeb and make it better-it's a wonderful way to create websites but they discontinued it. They could also make a powerful note taking app like Evernote instead or there basic Notes app and the same with reminders.

I am interested to see what they replace iPhoto with as that is being done away with and I love iPhoto. Just love it.

If they would just start innovating more and putting more resources into developing great software they could stay on top.
motosmith
12/5/2014 2:53pm
SF45 wrote:
By the way, if you are into tech.... you will like this site. All kinds of new products every day.

Product Hunt
That site is bad ass. Thanks.
12/5/2014 5:24pm
Hman144 wrote:
Everything cycles, doesn't it? I've never gone in for the smart phones. Call me a fuddy-duddy, a Ludite, whatever. I use my phone to make phone...
Everything cycles, doesn't it?

I've never gone in for the smart phones. Call me a fuddy-duddy, a Ludite, whatever. I use my phone to make phone calls and reluctantly text. Plus there are 5 phones on my account (family, you know), and I'm not about to take on an extra car payment just so people can visit Pinterest every 10 minutes and send pictures of cats to friends.

Now it looks like I'm the send tretter I've always believed I am.

That's right, send tretter. I'm so far ahead of the curve I can say it any way I please. Watch for people to be using that term in the near future. It will be all over the webbernet.

H
That first statement sums up what I was taught in business at a very young age.
Apple got so popular, I expect people will be looking for a "new" version of it in another company and after a few years circle back around dipping back in to Microsoft etc.
12/5/2014 5:38pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 5:38pm
Apple was never really on top, overall.
It depends how you define on top.
the_wood109
12/5/2014 5:48pm
level wrote:
I use so much tech that it just all runs together. I really like how Apple syncs everything. I love iCloud. I think it's just great...
I use so much tech that it just all runs together. I really like how Apple syncs everything. I love iCloud. I think it's just great for keeping things in sync. I use dropbox for my files and I have moved away from some iCloud features like reminders and notes mostly because there are so many better to-do apps out there and note taking apps like evernote and onenote that are way more powerful and stay in sync across all devices. Then you have to-do managers that are a dime a dozen that do the same.

I wish apple would put more effort into designing more software. That's where they seem to be lacking.

They could get back into iWeb and make it better-it's a wonderful way to create websites but they discontinued it. They could also make a powerful note taking app like Evernote instead or there basic Notes app and the same with reminders.

I am interested to see what they replace iPhoto with as that is being done away with and I love iPhoto. Just love it.

If they would just start innovating more and putting more resources into developing great software they could stay on top.
You know that everyone has their own cloud services, right? Microsoft has onedrive and google has google drive. However, it's not just storage we're talking about. If you are running a small to medium sized organization with exchange servers, chances are you have many users that get email on their mobile devices. Windows phone doesn't just sync email. It allows administrators to encrypt WP devices and can remotely wipe them if they're lost or stolen.

3rd party developers will always create better software because they're specialized. They have to "one up" the default apps, otherwise nobody would buy them. Having great OoB software helps, but they also want a strong developer presence.

With that said, I agree that integration is huge, and something that every company should focus more on. Microsoft should know that because of how successful active directory is, but they are still lacking. I do have high expectations for windows 10. Windows 8 missed the mark...8.1 brought the vision into perspective, and 10 should nail it. It's always been that every other OS is a flop, for some reason.
the_wood109
12/5/2014 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 5:50pm
Overall market share. They got the ball rolling with their mobile devices and ixxxx devices. However, they've always been well behind in desktops, and almost non-existent in enterprise.
12/5/2014 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 6:06pm
Overall market share. They got the ball rolling with their mobile devices and ixxxx devices. However, they've always been well behind in desktops, and almost non-existent...
Overall market share. They got the ball rolling with their mobile devices and ixxxx devices. However, they've always been well behind in desktops, and almost non-existent in enterprise.
Then they were definitely on top of the tablet market, challenging the idea that market share of a product leads to viruses and other problems.

They still own that market as far as tablet vendors are concerned as well.
the_wood109
12/5/2014 6:21pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 6:29pm
Overall market share. They got the ball rolling with their mobile devices and ixxxx devices. However, they've always been well behind in desktops, and almost non-existent...
Then they were definitely on top of the tablet market, challenging the idea that market share of a product leads to viruses and other problems. They...
Then they were definitely on top of the tablet market, challenging the idea that market share of a product leads to viruses and other problems.

They still own that market as far as tablet vendors are concerned as well.
They do get viruses and "other problems." Just a month ago there were some 17,000 apple machines in a botnet controlled through reddit.

http://rt.com/news/193032-mac-infected-hackers-reddit/

Also, windows phone has a pretty low risk of malware...the lowest of the "big three." Android has the highest, and interestingly enough, has the highest market share.

12/5/2014 6:40pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 6:45pm
They do get viruses and "other problems." Just a month ago there were some 17,000 apple machines in a botnet controlled through reddit. http://rt.com/news/193032-mac-infected-hackers-reddit/ Also, windows...
They do get viruses and "other problems." Just a month ago there were some 17,000 apple machines in a botnet controlled through reddit.

http://rt.com/news/193032-mac-infected-hackers-reddit/

Also, windows phone has a pretty low risk of malware...the lowest of the "big three." Android has the highest, and interestingly enough, has the highest market share.

That didn't mention iPads.
Edit: I scanned to fast my bad.
the_wood109
12/5/2014 6:45pm
You want something from this month?

Updated on 11-06-2014 by Jeffrey Van Camp: An Apple representative has told Digital Trends that “We are aware of malicious software available from a download site aimed at users in China, and we’ve blocked the identified apps to prevent them from launching. As always, we recommend that users download and install software from trusted sources.”

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/wirelurker-malware-targets-ios-user…

I get it, you're a fanboy.
12/5/2014 6:55pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 6:56pm
I edited my original post before you posted.
Take it easy pope man.
the_wood109
12/5/2014 7:05pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 7:07pm
It depends on what I'm doing. I am an MCSE, though. You might consider that bias.

Mobile devices...I have an android tablet, and have used android phones for a while. I recently switched to a Nokia 928. WP8.1. I've been exploring the possibility of getting an exchange mcse, as well.
12/5/2014 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2014 7:14pm
They're the only operating system to use, and are becoming more user friendly, although you will need to learn about them if you go that route.

Wood, you can't call someone a fanboy if you're an MCSE.

Post a reply to: Apple reign over?

The Latest