Anyone seen Interstellar?

volcati
Edited Date/Time 4/7/2015 4:42pm
I thought it was an excellent movie. Nolan should get some Oscars and Wooderson.should to. If you have a daughter it should resonate with you.

Almost 3 hours, but played quick. Go see on 70'm or Imax...not a digital projector, as it was not shot for that format.
|
volcati
11/8/2014 10:27pm
thesadguy wrote:
its playing at the theater i work at.
Never worked in a movie theatre---so is it free to see?
11/9/2014 6:55am
Seen it yesterday, thought the dialogue was a little corny in some places and it was a tad confusing at times, but apart from that it was brilliant.. Like Inception, I think I'll have to give it a second watch to fully appreciate it.
Old-Man
11/9/2014 8:22am
volcati wrote:
I thought it was an excellent movie. Nolan should get some Oscars and Wooderson.should to. If you have a daughter it should resonate with you. Almost...
I thought it was an excellent movie. Nolan should get some Oscars and Wooderson.should to. If you have a daughter it should resonate with you.

Almost 3 hours, but played quick. Go see on 70'm or Imax...not a digital projector, as it was not shot for that format.
I have four Daughters...am I going to cry?

The Shop

thesadguy
11/9/2014 8:43am
thesadguy wrote:
its playing at the theater i work at.
volcati wrote:
Never worked in a movie theatre---so is it free to see?
Yea. They give us free tickets every pay period. I might see it at some point.
barkhard696
11/9/2014 9:37am
The NYT review said Nolan had been pretty specific to the press in asking that as little of the plot (and even some characters) be discussed in the reviews as possible. So from the limited amount I know, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I understand the ultimate message is hope.

Brother, as depressing as the world is with ISIS beheading people and Putin's new cold war, Ebola, etc etc-- man, getting some cool immersive entertainment that maybe also is thought provoking will be welcome. IMAX would be the topping, Gravity in IMAX was intense! But they could show an IMAX Windows 95 screensaver and it would have some entertainment value.

I also LOVED Inception, & agree also it took a couple of viewings to get to that opinion. IMHO movies that challenge you, usually do take a viewing or two-- and are more rewarding for it once you've figured out the puzzle. Or maybe I'm a little slow, I've watched 2001 dozens and dozens of times and that movie is pretty linear.

OTOH, I've sat through a couple of the Transformers (not sure which ones) because my then g/f had a young child. Couldn't even tell you what those were about (the DeceptiCons were the bad guys?). Well, OK-- lots of stuff got smashed like in the 70s Godzilla movies, so maybe I do remember some. Sheesh, am I getting old! LOL
volcati
11/9/2014 10:00am
It can get a little teary eyed. But nothing too harsh.

Yeah, there's so many cameos in this film and Nolan kept a lot out of the trailers. Some people will have some WTF moments and without a basic understanding of theoretical physics could find some scenes unbelievable. The film does not beat around the bush with minutia in the film--which I liked. He trusts his audience to understand if a scene jumps ahead in the future. The film covers a lot of Earth time. A lot of space-time relativity is portrayed. On one planet they visit, an hour on there for the cosmonauts equals 7 years their time. Dog years?
Old-Man
11/9/2014 11:30am
volcati wrote:
It can get a little teary eyed. But nothing too harsh. Yeah, there's so many cameos in this film and Nolan kept a lot out of...
It can get a little teary eyed. But nothing too harsh.

Yeah, there's so many cameos in this film and Nolan kept a lot out of the trailers. Some people will have some WTF moments and without a basic understanding of theoretical physics could find some scenes unbelievable. The film does not beat around the bush with minutia in the film--which I liked. He trusts his audience to understand if a scene jumps ahead in the future. The film covers a lot of Earth time. A lot of space-time relativity is portrayed. On one planet they visit, an hour on there for the cosmonauts equals 7 years their time. Dog years?
Going to see it, That and Gravity looks good.
volcati
11/9/2014 2:09pm
I enjoyed Gravity. A lot different but gives you the vibe of space.

Still not sure how that Virgin pilot survived that wreck at 50k feet? His body must of shut down at the beginning to survive the cold and lack of air."? The drop is nothing compared to the elements that high. Pilots have done better tho
Old-Man
11/9/2014 2:12pm
volcati wrote:
I enjoyed Gravity. A lot different but gives you the vibe of space. Still not sure how that Virgin pilot survived that wreck at 50k feet...

Still not sure how that Virgin pilot survived that wreck at 50k feet? His body must of shut down at the beginning to survive the cold and lack of air."? The drop is nothing compared to the elements that high. Pilots have done better tho
Not to change the subject but are you in Russia? Thought they had a ban on American net? maybe i'm thinking of China or N.Korea Tongue
volcati
11/9/2014 4:30pm
volcati wrote:
I enjoyed Gravity. A lot different but gives you the vibe of space. Still not sure how that Virgin pilot survived that wreck at 50k feet...

Old-Man wrote:
Not to change the subject but are you in Russia? Thought they had a ban on American net? maybe i'm thinking of China or N.Korea Tongue
Not anymore. Forgot to change it.
sende
Fantasy
4455th
11/10/2014 9:44am
Saw it yesterday and I haven't been so blown away, since I saw Saving private Ryan for the first time.
I think it was a near perfect movie.
volcati
11/10/2014 10:04am
sende wrote:
Saw it yesterday and I haven't been so blown away, since I saw Saving private Ryan for the first time. I think it was a near...
Saw it yesterday and I haven't been so blown away, since I saw Saving private Ryan for the first time.
I think it was a near perfect movie.
I'm going to see it again and hopefully I don't see any holes in the plot. I do think it's easy the best movie I've seen in several years.

When it gets through and ends up in the (lib….) how cool is that?
volcati
11/10/2014 10:05am
I was wondering if it was me because my right ear is very soft of hearing. I needed subtitles and missed a lot. I had to ask my wife, "What???"
NV825
Fantasy
2740th
11/10/2014 11:36am
I saw it this past Saturday and thought it was pretty cool. I love space and took a couple astronomy classes in college as electives because I have always found it interesting.
JW381
11/10/2014 3:55pm
I enjoyed it quite a bit, the first 2/3 more than the final 1/3 tho. For me it kinda came unraveled whenthey landed on the ice planet (not really a sspoiler, you see parts of that in the trailer). It's hard not to compare a movie like that to the Holy grail, 2001. It had a lot of aspects/tribute to 2001 and a few other things borrowed from the movie Contact (hadn't really thought of that until I read an IMDB review that mentioned Contact). Those are good things for sure, but I would probably prefer those two movies over Interstellar. That being said, very good movie and I recommend you see it.
SF45
11/12/2014 10:24am
Saw it, thought Matthew McConaughey's face was going to explode a couple times.
SF45
11/12/2014 10:25am
What you should see is Nightcrawler. That was interesting.
Old-Man
11/12/2014 11:16am
Two Documentry's tonight on SCIHD Channel 284 on Direct TV
1st. 4:00 MST " The Science of Interstellar"

2nd. Same channel at 7:00PM MST "Landing on a Comet; The Rosetta Mission"
XXVoid MainXX
11/13/2014 6:37am
Saw it last night. Not a Matthew McConaughey fan so it was tough to sit through almost 3 hours of him.
XXVoid MainXX
11/13/2014 7:11am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2014 7:11am
I didn't think it was anything special but then didn't see it in the theater so it may be a lot better on the IMAX screen. I personally liked Gravity more.
11/13/2014 1:07pm
Did anyone else catch the tribute to Space Balls? I was dying when Matthew McConaughey "went plaid"

SF45
11/13/2014 1:37pm
J.F.S
11/15/2014 12:48am
I was disappointed, I thought it was ok, but nothing out of the ordinary, maybe I had too high expectations?
enketchum
11/16/2014 10:28pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2014 10:29pm
We saw it on Saturday. It woke me from the film sometimes because it got boring in a few places. My gf said she followed the family story line while I was mostly following the science story line.

Couple questions I have for you guys...

Why would you consider the water planet if it's that close to a black hole? They know a lot about black holes and should know it can't be safe on a planet that near to a black hole. Also, if they know about relativity, they should know that the lady on the planet has only been on the planet for less than 2 hours... This was obvious to me during this sequence; it's why they shouldn't go there in the first place and waste 23 years!

Isn't Mann's planet the obvious choice for exploration? Edmunds planet is where society will go if Mann's ice planet is no good. They kept saying that Edmunds readings were great, meaning it should be their last priority to check.

I believe the excretion disk of a black hole with that event horizon would be much bigger than what they showed when they were maneuvering through it.

And lastly, who put the worm hole there? I won't get into my views on worm holes, but who put it there? And how and when did Cooper get from inside the black hole to back through the wormhole? If he went through and shook Brands hand backward, doesn't that mean he was leaving as he was entering?

That black hole was pretty legit. The data it took to form the rendering created 800 terabytes of information. Awesome.

Thanks to goodness that I took upper level physics in college or i would have blown this movie off

I loved TARS. Humor setting to 100!
CR250Rider
11/30/2014 6:18pm
Re-reading the comments I know who the Vitards around here are.

15 minutes in I was blown away how stupid it was. Don 't waste your time.

no payoff whatsoever, great cast though.
4/6/2015 8:46am
Just watched the film again for a second time.

UNREAL good.

Great acting, great score, mind-blowing special effects, solid plot.

There were some parts I didn't quite understand when I saw it in theaters, but after watching it again (sober this time) it's near the top on my favorite movie list.

If they ever have a second-showing of this in IMAX I'm going no questions asked.

Post a reply to: Anyone seen Interstellar?

The Latest