Anyone else play paintball?

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
I've played here and there since I was a little kid, but since I can't ride the dirt bike right now.... I've been playing alot. Really getting good too.
So the other day I picked up a $20 craigslist special. Broken Orion VL, broken "silver bullet" and a broken stingray. Also a full head JT mask, bunch of hoppers, pods, and even some old moto goggles.
Telling a buddy about my box of shit at the field today, and he just gave me a Spyder TL R. Not gonna lie, my trusty tippmann looks and feels like shit next to the Spyder. So now I've been looking at getting a freak barrel for the Spyder... I think this is about to get expensive Grinning
So anyone else got an addiction to this?
|
JPT
2/4/2017 9:23pm
Did before it got all high tech. Tore the heart out of the game. No real stalking, no single round shots to sensitive ar eareas. Too much padding. Don't see the point. No welts of valor. Pussies play it now.
reded
2/5/2017 5:09am
I haven't played for over a year but I've always been a woods ball mil-sim type of guy. We got to the point where we started using outside tech instead of marker tech. We have an area that's 125 acres of woods and had a guy who doesn't play hide two ammo cans with paint in them on opposite sides of the field. Two 4 member teams were given 10rds in their hopper and the gps coordinates for our ammo can was text to us at the start of the game. With 10rds in the hopper, each team had to skirt the other in order to reach the other side of the field and retrieve their ammo. The cans were hidden well, each team had a medic with red arm band who could respawn a player. The game lasted two hours and used very little paint. We've also had games where hoppers aren't allowed. Single shot only is a challenge.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
2/5/2017 8:48am
JPT wrote:
Did before it got all high tech. Tore the heart out of the game. No real stalking, no single round shots to sensitive ar eareas. Too...
Did before it got all high tech. Tore the heart out of the game. No real stalking, no single round shots to sensitive ar eareas. Too much padding. Don't see the point. No welts of valor. Pussies play it now.
There's actually been a growing number of folks using pumps. Pumps are making a bit of a comeback kinda like 125s.

I don't understand all the padding, most places people have pads dont even hurt. Fingers are the worst yet people play with fingerless gloves. I think it's just a weird trend.
colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
2/5/2017 8:54am
reded wrote:
I haven't played for over a year but I've always been a woods ball mil-sim type of guy. We got to the point where we started...
I haven't played for over a year but I've always been a woods ball mil-sim type of guy. We got to the point where we started using outside tech instead of marker tech. We have an area that's 125 acres of woods and had a guy who doesn't play hide two ammo cans with paint in them on opposite sides of the field. Two 4 member teams were given 10rds in their hopper and the gps coordinates for our ammo can was text to us at the start of the game. With 10rds in the hopper, each team had to skirt the other in order to reach the other side of the field and retrieve their ammo. The cans were hidden well, each team had a medic with red arm band who could respawn a player. The game lasted two hours and used very little paint. We've also had games where hoppers aren't allowed. Single shot only is a challenge.
Woods ball is fun right up until a damn twig busts my ball. On the flip side, it's pretty funny to get into some thick brush and watch people try to light you up, but the balls are bursting all over the place Grinning

That sounds like a ton of fun. I've been thinking of buying a pump gun to save on paint, I go through ~1,000 rounds a day. That's about $25 worth of paint Sad
So how much paint was in the ammo cans? Cause if I find a case I'll probably end up shooting a whole case

The Shop

MR. X
2/5/2017 8:58am
It sounds like it would a lot of fun . I had some kind of cheap one as a kid ,I remember shooting my buddy in the leg from about 10 feet away, dropped him like a bad habit, I felt bad afterwards.
reded
2/5/2017 9:53am
I believe we put 1000rd bag in each box/250rds per player. Along with the ammo there was an envelope that contained a mission objective that had to be achieved. Neither team knew what the others objective was so it turned into a seek and destroy mission by both teams after finding the ammo in order to keep them from completing their mission. It really was a blast knowing that you had to conserve ammo if you engaged the enemy. Makes it a little more realistic and helps you build teamwork and tactics instead of spraying and praying. I also carried a Tippman pistol (I don't recommend them, they're sketchy and unreliable but look cool) and we won the game when I put the last guy down with two rounds remaining in the pistol. I was to the point that I was contemplating throwing it at him.
2/5/2017 10:15am
One of those things that has always appealed to me but Iv'e never got round to doing anything about. It's quite big where I am too, as is the Airsoft scene. I can definitely see the fun in it.
Firefly47
2/7/2017 9:21am
Used to play 15-20 years ago. But once it got to the point of whoever slings the most paint wins, I got out.
We used to play on weekends at a place that eventually put a limit of how many balls you could take onto the field to make it more tactical.
MR. X
2/7/2017 10:48am
Firefly47 wrote:
Used to play 15-20 years ago. But once it got to the point of whoever slings the most paint wins, I got out. We used to...
Used to play 15-20 years ago. But once it got to the point of whoever slings the most paint wins, I got out.
We used to play on weekends at a place that eventually put a limit of how many balls you could take onto the field to make it more tactical.
I watched some kind of tournament on tv and that's all it was ,each team would post up and just rapid fire in the same direction until everyone had been hit.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
2/7/2017 11:02am
We played in a big wooded area and you could only use the paint in your hopper each round and it was two hits anyplace on your body and then you were out for the round. We had 15 to 20 guys from different motorcycles shops and we would play every Saturday after work for a few hours. You had to be sneaky and make your shots count.
2/7/2017 11:26am Edited Date/Time 2/7/2017 11:32am
seriously played tournament speedball and X-ball for a few years between like 04-08 and it just became way too expensive and high tech. you had to have the newest and best technology in both the guns and gear to stay competitive with other teams. let alone the cost of paint by itself, 2000rd case gone in a few games by one person is nothing and veeeery easy to do. like someone else said, it eventually just became who could shoot the fastest and lay down the most balls. then multiply that a few times a week for practice sessions as well. it started to become ridiculous and there really isnt any kind of good amateur support in the sport so its hard to break into what we would consider the "factory" world of paintball. and the tournaments you do win have minimal payouts compared to what youre spending to play. still have some of my guns and gear tho just in case i ever wanna air them back up to either play, or shoot some varmints lol
JAFO92
2/7/2017 12:34pm
Back about 10 years ago my kid used this.

colintrax
Fantasy
2363rd
2/18/2017 1:06pm
Cool to see some yall around here play too.
I finally got around to finishing this up, needed a different feed neck to mount the revy hopper on my spyder. They sell for $25, I'm getting this 3d printed for $9.50

JRT812
2/18/2017 1:49pm
Used to play the sweet 24hr games back in the day somewhere in Alabama. People from all over the place split up in three teams Army vs Marines vs Predators. Bunkers everywhere! I knew people took it way to serious when they purchased night vision to play paintball. Good memories stomping through the woods playing with paintball with my friends. Surprised it still has a following.

Post a reply to: Anyone else play paintball?

The Latest