Anyone done any 3D printing

ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
8/24/2014 7:49am
Apparently there are different versions of 3D printing. Is this for visual of functional part?
Plastic or metal?
TM
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
8/24/2014 2:08pm
Do you want to print off many copies or are you looking for prototypes? There are places that will print your models for lot less than buying a small printer. The small versions are really great for making small items. You can even have your model printed in metal.
JM485
8/24/2014 10:09pm
This technology is going to be a huge deal in the near future. I saw a presentation on it during one of my college courses and the instructors discussed the ability to print in metals like titanium and even eventually print working organs. Incredible stuff!

One thing I am really excited about, is the ability to test fit new parts before actually machining them. Once the cost comes down, it will be great to be able to print a part and check for figment or design flaws before making a full on working prototype. Rapid prototyping will be the norm soon, really amazing how big of an impact this will have when you think about it.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
8/25/2014 9:07am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2014 9:08am
We have some plastic 3D printers but none of the use at home versions so I have no experience there unfortunately.

My company is spending a BUNCH on a 3D metal printer (laser sintering). Thing is gonna be sick.

The Shop

MR. X
8/25/2014 9:31am
JM485 wrote:
This technology is going to be a huge deal in the near future. I saw a presentation on it during one of my college courses and...
This technology is going to be a huge deal in the near future. I saw a presentation on it during one of my college courses and the instructors discussed the ability to print in metals like titanium and even eventually print working organs. Incredible stuff!

One thing I am really excited about, is the ability to test fit new parts before actually machining them. Once the cost comes down, it will be great to be able to print a part and check for figment or design flaws before making a full on working prototype. Rapid prototyping will be the norm soon, really amazing how big of an impact this will have when you think about it.
Won't CAD software do that even before a printed prototype .
Rooster
8/25/2014 10:39am
Our local library has some 3D printers available to the public.

It might be worth checking out in your area.
JM485
8/25/2014 5:20pm
JM485 wrote:
This technology is going to be a huge deal in the near future. I saw a presentation on it during one of my college courses and...

MR. X wrote:
Won't CAD software do that even before a printed prototype .
Yes, but I still think it would be nice to physically be able to mock up a part on a real bike, just to ensure fit is perfect before machining the actual part. Keep in mind I have only gone through my first year of college, so my CAD experience is limited, just thought I would throw that out there as a possible use.
MR. X
8/25/2014 5:42pm
Using a part for a bike is a good example, make sure it's comfortable for the rider before putting the time into an actual part , makes sense., good point.
T-MAC
8/27/2014 5:15am Edited Date/Time 8/27/2014 6:32am
I'm an engineer at MakerBot (we make desktop, consumer 3d printers). My weapon of choice is our replicator 2x. Our new models print pla plastic only which is easier to work with but doesn't handle temperatures as well (abs has a higher glass transition temp - pla parts on your car dashboard in the sun would get pretty soft for example). I've printed a lot of abs parts that I use on my mountain bike. I'm CADing up some handguards now for fun that I will print in abs on my 2x.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
8/27/2014 4:49pm
T-MAC wrote:
I'm an engineer at MakerBot (we make desktop, consumer 3d printers). My weapon of choice is our replicator 2x. Our new models print pla plastic only...
I'm an engineer at MakerBot (we make desktop, consumer 3d printers). My weapon of choice is our replicator 2x. Our new models print pla plastic only which is easier to work with but doesn't handle temperatures as well (abs has a higher glass transition temp - pla parts on your car dashboard in the sun would get pretty soft for example). I've printed a lot of abs parts that I use on my mountain bike. I'm CADing up some handguards now for fun that I will print in abs on my 2x.
I get your company Emails. Neat stuff you guys do.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
8/28/2014 7:55am
T-MAC wrote:
I'm an engineer at MakerBot (we make desktop, consumer 3d printers). My weapon of choice is our replicator 2x. Our new models print pla plastic only...
Who would you say is your biggest competition and why is your product better? I've read some reviews and people seem to have a love/hate relationship with their 3D printers. Seems like it would be a pretty fun place to work if you get to play with the printers. They seem to be an exploding market right now.
TM
T-MAC
8/28/2014 10:38am
Without getting into it too much, our biggest competition is probably 3D Systems and clones of our replicator 2. Our new bots (three new printers), are a completely new platform from the ground up, and we were under a lot of pressure to get them to market within a year, which was a huge undertaking. We are ironing out some kinks still, and once we do, they will be really solid products. We packed a ton of features into our new printers and some are still getting the kinks worked out.

As far as the love/hate relationship - I think that goes to people, and marketing, making it seem like it's completely plug and play. The reality is, they still do require some mechanical aptitude, and some tinkering. People who understand this seem to get the best results. A little trial and error, learning the printer, and you can crank out some awesome stuff.

Definitely a fun place to work. I do a lot of testing, designing and prototyping. I try to spend as much time in the machine shop as possible (I made a lot of jet and helicopter parts before coming here).

Post a reply to: Anyone done any 3D printing

The Latest